ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Game of Thrones (spoiler-free zone) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244344)

eazyb81 05-07-2012 09:54 AM

Can anyone give some details on the differences without giving away upcoming spoilers? I'm just curious what is actually different.

Theon is such an idiot. Hope he gets killed soon.

The Hound earned some cool points tonight.

It was great to see another epic Joffrey slap by Tyrion.

Jon Snow is going to get some wildling poon.

eazyb81 05-07-2012 09:59 AM

Also is the guy that is killing people for Arya a major story in the books? He kind of came out of nowhere.

vailpass 05-07-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8599133)
Can anyone give some details on the differences without giving away upcoming spoilers? I'm just curious what is actually different.

Theon is such an idiot. Hope he gets killed soon.

The Hound earned some cool points tonight.

It was great to see another epic Joffrey slap by Tyrion.

Jon Snow is going to get some wildling poon.

No.

petegz28 05-07-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8599144)
Also is the guy that is killing people for Arya a major story in the books? He kind of came out of nowhere.

Spoiler!

Hawk 05-07-2012 10:09 AM

Jaqen is a major character in the book in terms of his impact on Arya's story arc, though less in terms of his actual time in the story. He is also just one of the most memorable characters in the books.

One of the truly great things about the books is the litany of fascinating characters GRRM has created even aside from the obvious main characters. Jaqen is one of those. Another is Syrio Forel who was Arya's "dancing" instructor. Another is Yoren who snuck Arya out of Kings Landing. They all have roles to play, but some are just more memorable than others, and Jaqen is one of the best in the books.

Hawk 05-07-2012 10:32 AM

I'll give some insight on the differences (I will put in spoiler tags for those who don;t want to know anything about book differences, but I have not included anything in these that I consider to be a spoiler):

Spoiler!

BigRedChief 05-07-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8599133)

anything thats been aired is fair game. Book info up to that point in fair game.

mdchiefsfan 05-08-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8600942)
anything thats been aired is fair game. Book info up to that point in fair game.

The only issue with that is they (people who have read the books) don't know where production is going with the tv show any hints might later spoil the show without intention. Yes I am watching the show over, hence the old english speech.

Edit: in regards to filling in the differences between the drastic change the show has taken from the books

mdchiefsfan 05-08-2012 12:51 AM

My thought is this: like how lost would recap the same time frame from a different perspective to extend the show, why would the makers of this tv show limit the ability to gain more money by making seasons that fill in the blanks. Be careful what you request and what is leaked; they could easily go back in time and supply the answers given.

KC_Connection 05-08-2012 02:10 AM

Did my hand fall from my fist?

mdchiefsfan 05-08-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 8601199)
Did my hand fall from my fist?

Tyrion; king of the one liners.

Sfeihc 05-08-2012 05:14 AM

They need to invent a new award for Peter Dinklage(Tyrion Lannister). Not height based but awesomeness based.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-08-2012 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8601171)
My thought is this: like how lost would recap the same time frame from a different perspective to extend the show, why would the makers of this tv show limit the ability to gain more money by making seasons that fill in the blanks. Be careful what you request and what is leaked; they could easily go back in time and supply the answers given.

Don't compare this to garbage like Lost :thumb:

Nah, doesn't look look they are going in that direction at all. Just alot of stuff condensed and lighting a rocket up thier ass to push the storyline forward.

Bambi 05-08-2012 07:54 AM

That was a much better episode.

"Whaaaaa!!! Where are my draaaaaaagons?!?!...Waaaa!!!"

mdchiefsfan 05-08-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8601261)
Don't compare this to garbage like Lost :thumb:

Nah, doesn't look look they are going in that direction at all. Just alot of stuff condensed and lighting a rocket up thier ass to push the storyline forward.

I heard he wrote this story because he was so disappointed in Lost. Thats why I compared the two.

Red Brooklyn 05-08-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 8601421)
I heard he wrote this story because he was so disappointed in Lost. Thats why I compared the two.

Since the first three books were published before LOST was conceived and the fourth book was basically written, though not yet published, before the pilot of LOST aired, I'm guessing that's not entirely accurate.

But I know Martin was a fan of LOST. Just as Damon Lindelof is a fan of A Song Of Ice And Fire. I also know George Martin drastically misinterpreted the the finale of LOST and was very vocal about his disappointment in the way that the show ended. And I know that Damon was bothered by that. But, again, most of Martin's disappointment was based on misunderstanding.

I think he and Damon have since talked and reconciled their differences. And Damon is still a huge fan of ASoIaF.

Huffmeister 05-08-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 8601514)
But I know Martin was a fan of LOST. Just as Damon Lindelof is a fan of A Song Of Ice And Fire. I also know George Martin drastically misinterpreted the the finale of LOST and was very vocal about his disappointment in the way that the show ended. And I know that Damon was bothered by that. But, again, most of Martin's disappointment was based on misunderstanding.

Just curious, did Martin interpret the finale as ... (LOST Spoiler)
Spoiler!

Red Brooklyn 05-08-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 8601863)
Just curious, did Martin interpret the finale as ... (LOST Spoiler)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Bambi 05-08-2012 06:56 PM

The only thing Jack's been imagining lately are DUI's.

kcxiv 05-08-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8601383)
That was a much better episode.

"Whaaaaa!!! Where are my draaaaaaagons?!?!...Waaaa!!!"

i know people have an issue with her being whiney, but to be fair in the books she's a 13-14 year old girl and well they are whiney. lol

Fish 05-08-2012 08:49 PM

Another Joffrey bitchslap!! Hooray!

http://cdn.videogum.com/files/2012/05/slap_joffrey.gif

Bambi 05-08-2012 09:07 PM

here's a nice rundown of the history for those of us who most likely won't be reading the books

http://www.theworldsbestever.com/201...ns/#more-83698

KcMizzou 05-08-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8603460)
here's a nice rundown of the history for those of us who most likely won't be reading the books

http://www.theworldsbestever.com/201...ns/#more-83698

I'm pretty sure that's the best thing you've ever posted.

Seriously, this is good stuff. Readers will enjoy it too.

Bump 05-08-2012 09:50 PM

just watched the first 10 episodes of Game of Thrones. Pretty good, not bad. It seems to have gaps between each episode with a lot of unexplained shit, but whatever, there's sex at least.

Spoiler!

vailpass 05-09-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8603596)
just watched the first 10 episodes of Game of Thrones. Pretty good, not bad. It seems to have gaps between each episode with a lot of unexplained shit, but whatever, there's sex at least.

Spoiler!

Or is it?

Sfeihc 05-09-2012 01:02 PM

"Who took my dragons?" Should be the title of the next episode.

Bump 05-09-2012 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8604202)
Or is it?

that sucks, they don't develop the dragons in season 2? I'm about to start season 2 tonight.

BigRedChief 05-09-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8603337)
i know people have an issue with her being whiney, but to be fair in the books she's a 13-14 year old girl and well they are whiney. lol

So she was 11-12 in the books when given to mongrels for a wife?

Hawk 05-09-2012 08:51 PM

I think she's 14 when she's married off. But all the kids in the book are too young for the things they do. Robb is 15 or 16, and Jon is about the same. Arya is 8. The show has aged them up appropriately. GRRM has said he should have made them older.

The dragons have not been a focus, but they are hanging around and growing up a little. Of course, now they have been stolen, and that did not happen in the books, so nobody knows for sure what will happen with them at this point on the show.

mdchiefsfan 05-10-2012 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fruit Ninja (Post 8603337)

I don't necessarily see her as whiny, I see her becoming more demanding. Honestly she is starting to remind me of her brother.... Well, he was whiny too, okay, so shes being whiny while being demanding.... like her brother.

Hawk 05-10-2012 08:14 AM

Dany definitely identifies with her brother at this point in the books. He was known as the beggar king because he had no choice but to go around asking for money and help from people even though he called himself a king. Dany sees that she must not become bitter about having to ask for help all the time like her brother did. Of course, she has the dragons and he didn't, so that gives her a pretty big advantage...assuming she can recover them on the show...

vailpass 05-10-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8605677)
So she was 11-12 in the books when given to mongrels for a wife?

She was a woman flowered.

vailpass 05-10-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8605313)
that sucks, they don't develop the dragons in season 2? I'm about to start season 2 tonight.

Or do they?

Bowser 05-10-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8604202)
Or is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8606813)
Or do they?

http://images.wikia.com/simpsons/ima...Burns_evil.gif

Bambi 05-10-2012 09:02 PM

god damn heart throb bros!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m3...5nlno1_500.gif

Hawk 05-10-2012 09:10 PM

A man has said.

Red Brooklyn 05-10-2012 10:46 PM

I've said it before but... Jaqen is easily, hands down, my favorite "secondary" character so far in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. He's the tits. I ****ing love that guy!

Sucky 05-10-2012 11:01 PM

I really really need to get HBO

Sfeihc 05-11-2012 08:09 AM

Can't wait for #3!!!

BigRedChief 05-11-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nucky (Post 8608071)
I really really need to get HBO

The best TV is on Showtime/HBO. Dexter, GOT, Boardwalk, Homeland etc.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2012 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 8609483)
The best TV is on Showtime/HBO. Dexter, GOT, Boardwalk, Homeland etc.

You watch the Borgias BigChief?

Pasta Little Brioni 05-11-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 8608385)
Can't wait for #3!!!

Spoiler!

Bump 05-11-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8606813)
Or do they?

I guess not, I've watched the first 3 episodes and not much has happened. Only some brother/sister sex and some gay sex and some very good acting by a midget is all I can recall.

vailpass 05-11-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 8609527)
I guess not, I've watched the first 3 episodes and not much has happened. Only some brother/sister sex and some gay sex and some very good acting by a midget is all I can recall.

The governing conventions do not permit me to confirm or deny.

KcMizzou 05-11-2012 05:46 PM

I'll go ahead and confirm that the "very good acting by a midget" does continue.

Sorry... spoiler.

BigRedChief 05-11-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8609569)
I'll go ahead and confirm that the "very good acting by a midget" does continue.

Sorry... spoiler.

I love that little guy. I want to see him in more films/TV whatever. He's a helluva an actor.

Sfeihc 05-11-2012 08:34 PM

Check out "Death at a Funeral", BRC. Dinklege is part of an ensemble cast. Pretty funny movie.

KcMizzou 05-11-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sfeihc (Post 8609960)
Check out "Death at a Funeral", BRC. Dinklege is part of an ensemble cast. Pretty funny movie.

He's in both the black and white version.

KcMizzou 05-11-2012 10:23 PM

But GoT is the first time I've had a chance to see the guy as a serious actor. He's fantastic.

Red Brooklyn 05-12-2012 09:06 AM

Check out The Station Agent.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0340377/

petegz28 05-13-2012 08:13 PM

So did I see it right, there are only two episodes left for the season?

NewChief 05-13-2012 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8613264)
So did I see it right, there are only two episodes left for the season?

No. I think there are 12 episodes in this season.

Tribal Warfare 05-13-2012 08:23 PM

Okay, so are they getting back to the book's canon efficiently?

petegz28 05-13-2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8613296)

I could swear in the previews of next week it said "Two Episodes Left"

petegz28 05-13-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 8613304)
Okay, so are they getting back to the book's canon efficiently?

Starting to. Jamie killing Karstark's son got that back on track. Theon hunting down Bran and Rikkon got that back on track. The Dragons are still trailing away but the ultimate point still seems to be followed. Jon Snow seems to be happening slightly different but they appear to be getting that back on track as well.

KcMizzou 05-13-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8613296)

Nope. 10. We have 3 left.

NewChief 05-13-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8613323)
I could swear in the previews of next week it said "Two Episodes Left"

There are 10 episodes in this season. From the wiki page:
Spoiler!

But shit.. you're right. Tonight was "A Man Without Honor." That means we have two more, then the season finale. So 3 episodes total left in the season. I can't believe there have been 7 episodes already this season. Doesn't seem like it.

Raiderhater58 05-14-2012 02:21 AM

wow, I wanna see Theon get his almost more than Joffrey.

KC_Connection 05-14-2012 02:24 AM

Great episode. Jaime was finally a big part of an episode this season (in fact, it kind of centered on him rather than the usual centering on Tyrion in King's Landing). Loved both of the main scenes he was in (with both his former squire/cousin and Catelyn).

I kind of figured it was Xaro or that creepy guy who that took the dragons, so that wasn't a surprise (although the scene in the council room was a good one).

Cersei also showed some positive points for the first time in the show in both her scenes.

And Theon...man, he's digging himself into a huge hole. There's no way those bodies are actually Bran and Rickon. If they show up alive after he's already claimed he killed them...talk about being despised on all sides. He's a dead man.

Aries Walker 05-14-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhater58 (Post 8613840)
wow, I wanna see Theon get his almost more than Joffrey.

Me too. Almost.

Hawk 05-14-2012 08:09 AM

More Jaime is good, his scene with Catelyn was excellent. My favorite parts were his speech about the different vows and how you can't keep one without breaking another, plus his story about squiring for badass Barristan the Bold who fought like an artist, but with only one color...red. Still can't believe Joffrey fired Barristan. Joffrey is a dumbass.

I love the dynamic with Tywin and Arya. But Arya is my favorite character, so go figure. Can't wait to see what they do with her and Jaqen and the third name.

I also loved the part with Tyrion and Cersei when he thought about comforting her, but just wasn't sure what to do and couldn't bring himself to touch or hug her. Missed Bronn in this episode though.

Dany's story is interesting to me because it has strayed the farthest from the books. Looking forward to seeing where that one goes over the final three episodes. We need to see some dragon action before it is all said and done.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." Haha, so true, especially show Jon who seems a little more clueless than book Jon. Ygritte is hot, maybe we'll get some nudity out of her since they have stopped showing Dany (bummer!). Jon is in trouble though, surrounded by Wildlings and no fellow NW in sight.

And Theon...SMH...such a punk. Killing Bran and Rickon is not going to win him any friends in the North. He keeps digging his hole deeper and deeper.

Fire Me Boy! 05-14-2012 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8613944)
More Jaime is good, his scene with Catelyn was excellent. My favorite parts were his speech about the different vows and how you can't keep one without breaking another, plus his story about squiring for badass Barristan the Bold who fought like an artist, but with only one color...red. Still can't believe Joffrey fired Barristan. Joffrey is a dumbass.

I love the dynamic with Tywin and Arya. But Arya is my favorite character, so go figure. Can't wait to see what they do with her and Jaqen and the third name.

I also loved the part with Tyrion and Cersei when he thought about comforting her, but just wasn't sure what to do and couldn't bring himself to touch or hug her. Missed Bronn in this episode though.

Dany's story is interesting to me because it has strayed the farthest from the books. Looking forward to seeing where that one goes over the final three episodes. We need to see some dragon action before it is all said and done.

"You know nothing, Jon Snow." Haha, so true, especially show Jon who seems a little more clueless than book Jon. Ygritte is hot, maybe we'll get some nudity out of her since they have stopped showing Dany (bummer!). Jon is in trouble though, surrounded by Wildlings and no fellow NW in sight.

And Theon...SMH...such a punk. Killing Bran and Rickon is not going to win him any friends in the North. He keeps digging his hole deeper and deeper.

OK, I haven't read the books so I have no idea, but I'll go ahead and put this in spoiler tags, even though it's just a theory. If someone who knows wants to respond in a PM or in spoiler tags, I'd be OK with it (but the other folks here may not be).

Spoiler!

Either way, I want that punkass dead. And I admit I kinda liked the guy at first - he seemed very loyal to the Starks. I guess I missed that call.

eazyb81 05-14-2012 08:33 AM

The scene with Tyrion and Cersei was great. Cersei almost seemed normal for a minute. They both seemed to realize that Joffrey is a monster and is on track to get the entire family killed.

Tywin definitely seems to have taken a liking to Arya. He also knows she isn't who she says she is, but it doesn't seem to bother him. I hope Arya isn't beginning to show compassion for him.

Jon Snow has been kind of an idiot the last couple episodes.

The situation in Qarth is still confusing to me and I have no real idea where they are going with it. I hope Dany doesn't do something stupid like push away from Ser Jorah.

Hawk 05-14-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 8613968)
The scene with Tyrion and Cersei was great. Cersei almost seemed normal for a minute. They both seemed to realize that Joffrey is a monster and is on track to get the entire family killed.

Tywin definitely seems to have taken a liking to Arya. He also knows she isn't who she says she is, but it doesn't seem to bother him. I hope Arya isn't beginning to show compassion for him.

Jon Snow has been kind of an idiot the last couple episodes.

The situation in Qarth is still confusing to me and I have no real idea where they are going with it. I hope Dany doesn't do something stupid like push away from Ser Jorah.

Haha, not too worried about Arya having compassion for Tywin, the way she was eyeing his neck, it seemed pretty clear she wanted to off his ass right there. Arya has a vicious side.

CHENZ A! 05-14-2012 10:23 AM

Please tell me Tyrion wasn't trying to get some sister ass.

KcMizzou 05-14-2012 10:27 AM

He wasn't.

Hawk 05-14-2012 11:00 AM

Haha, no, Tyrion was thinking about comforting her, but couldn't quite bring himself to hug her.

CHENZ A! 05-14-2012 11:13 AM

Good, it was definitely awkward..

Fire Me Boy! 05-14-2012 11:15 AM

This doesn't bode well for GoT's future.

Quote:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/gam...-men-to,28183/

'Game Of Thrones' Running Out Of Unkempt Old Men To Cast

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/arti...pscale_q85.jpg

LOS ANGELES—According to insider sources, the future of HBO's Game Of Thrones is currently in doubt, with the hit fantasy series facing a dire shortage of weather-beaten, bedraggled old men to cast.

"A lot of the big crowd scenes in season two really depleted the available pool of greasy-haired bearded actors over 70, and for the sake of continuity we can't really reuse them," executive producer D.B. Weiss said Monday, stressing the importance of having a minimum of one new elderly and disheveled male character in every episode of the epic drama. "I honestly don't know what we're going to do. In the third season, we have at least a dozen war room meetings to film, and you can't shoot a war room meeting without having at least two or three poorly groomed old guys with big, tangly beards hanging around."

The Game Of Thrones crisis is the latest in a series of casting woes to beleaguer HBO, which in March announced it had already used up its annual allocation of Steve Buscemi.
And yes, I know it's an Onion article.

Bowser 05-14-2012 01:46 PM

Theon reeks of desperation.

Raiderhater58 05-14-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8613953)
OK, I haven't read the books so I have no idea, but I'll go ahead and put this in spoiler tags, even though it's just a theory. If someone who knows wants to respond in a PM or in spoiler tags, I'd be OK with it (but the other folks here may not be).

Spoiler!

Either way, I want that punkass dead. And I admit I kinda liked the guy at first - he seemed very loyal to the Starks. I guess I missed that call.

After I thought about for a few minutes thats what Im thinking too.

vailpass 05-14-2012 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8614486)

He needs to toughen up, he's pretty thin skinned.

PhillyChiefFan 05-14-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8614537)
He needs to toughen up, he's pretty thin skinned.

He just sounds like a whiny bitch. Have thought that ever since the whole "But I'm your captain" speech on the docks.

vailpass 05-14-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 8614549)
He just sounds like a whiny bitch. Have thought that ever since the whole "But I'm your captain" speech on the docks.

Bitch, it rhymes with snitch.

Bambi 05-14-2012 04:39 PM

Kingslayer's exchange with his cousin was brilliant.

Maybe my favorite scene all season.

(my fav scene still all time is Syrio defending Arya against the Lannister guards)

Hawk 05-14-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 8614486)

Theon definitely reeks!

petegz28 05-14-2012 09:22 PM

Ok, not a spoiler but just to point out a difference between the book and the show. The guy playing Theon's righthand man in the book is actually named "Reek".

vailpass 05-15-2012 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 8615857)
Ok, not a spoiler but just to point out a difference between the book and the show. The guy playing Theon's righthand man in the book is actually named "Reek".

Or is he pretending to be Reek?

Frazod 05-15-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawk (Post 8614171)
Haha, no, Tyrion was thinking about comforting her, but couldn't quite bring himself to hug her.

The unreasoning contempt that Cersei and Tywin have for Tyrion, who is always the brightest guy in the room wherever he goes, just makes them that much more hateable.

vailpass 05-15-2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8617267)
The unreasoning contempt that Cersei and Tywin have for Tyrion, who is always the brightest guy in the room wherever he goes, just makes them that much more hateable.

Their wife/mother died giving birth to a gross-ass dwarf that would have been thrown down a well by 99% of the households back then.
It doesn't make it any nicer but it does seem to be accurate within the period.

At least Jamie seems to be a little better toward the imp.