ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life How many days of work have you missed in the last year? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316216)

eDave 07-15-2018 12:35 PM

I get 10 sick days/year and am encouraged to take them all, along with 5 weeks vacation.

My company really wants us to take time away from what we do but it's nearly impossible to take that amount of time off, because of what we do.

Working from home, I don't really ever NEED a day off.

mlyonsd 07-15-2018 12:36 PM

We switched from a vacation/sick days policy to PTO several years back. What a difference it made in more people showing up sick for work.

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13629366)
In other words he didn't kiss ass

:spock:

That's what you took from that? Really?

Otter 07-15-2018 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13629361)
In this guy's case, I'm pretty sure that he and his personal demons have crawled into a bottle. His work performance went to hell in the past year as well. Had he reached out and admitted he needed help, we would have tried. But even on the way out the door for the last time, he assured us that he had done nothing wrong, he was the hardest work we had, and everybody was out to get him.

It was very sad.

Yeah, that's an apple and oranges different situation than using your sick days when your contagious with the flu. I should have acknowledged that in my response. You just happened to be the last post I read.

Hope the guy gets better.

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13629367)
I get 10 sick days/year and am encouraged to take them all, along with 5 weeks vacation.

My company really wants us to take time away from what we do.

Damn, that's impressive. I get 8 personal days, 20 vacation days and a floating holiday. Although they're maxing out the vacation days at 15 (after five years) for new hires.

And as the old guard retires/dies off, they're getting much more lenient with holidays. We now get MLK and Presidents Days off.

Still have to work on Veterans Day, though. God that burns my ass. :cuss:

SuperBowl4 07-15-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13629369)
:spock:

That's what you took from that? Really?

Yes because he was obviously well liked but YOU wanted to "SHITCAN" him months ago

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13629370)
Yeah, that's an apple and oranges different situation than using your sick days when your contagious with the flu. I should have acknowledged that in my response. You just happened to be the last post I read.

Hope the guy gets better.

Yeah, me too. He's a good guy. Nobody wanted this. He'd been with the firm for 13 years. We wanted him to pull his head out of his ass, show up for work and do his job correctly. But it became obvious that wasn't going to happen.

eDave 07-15-2018 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13629375)
Damn, that's impressive. I get 8 personal days, 20 vacation days and a floating holiday. Although they're maxing out the vacation days at 15 (after five years) for new hires.

And as the old guard retires/dies off, they're getting much more lenient with holidays. We now get MLK and Presidents Days off.

Still have to work on Veterans Day, though. God that burns my ass. :cuss:

That's where my company lacks, holiday's. Which sucks because it's a UK based company and they all get a holiday, like, every week. And I'm not really kidding. Those guys are off all the time. "Bank" holidays.

The 4th was a waste. Couldn't take the days before or after because shit's intense right now.

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13629377)
Yes because he was obviously well liked but YOU wanted to SHIT CAN him months ago

Because I saw the inevitably of what was happening and wanted to stop the bleeding. His attendance and poor job performance were also having a huge negative impact on the rest of the staff and the firm in general.

lewdog 07-15-2018 12:48 PM

"Hi, I'm Bob. Have a look at my resume. You'll see it's quite impressive. I never take a day off. Not even when I'm sick. I literally come to work with explosive diarrhea and destroy the office shared bathroom. I am that dedicated."

eDave 07-15-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13629377)
Yes because he was obviously well liked but YOU wanted to "SHITCAN" him months ago

Dude, you can't be taking time off due to a vice. EVER.
You can't come to work on a vice. EVER.

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13629382)
That's where my company lacks, holiday's. Which sucks because it's a UK based company and they all get a holiday, like, every week. And I'm not really kidding. Those guys are off all the time. "Bank" holidays.

The 4th was a waste. Couldn't take the days before or after because shit's intense right now.

I used to work for the Chicago office of a British firm. Seemed like those ****ers were off every other day.

This year, my firm gave us the 3rd off in addition to the 4th. Couldn't really do anything with it travel wise, since the office was open on Monday, but it was nice. And better than having to commute in for half a day.

SuperBowl4 07-15-2018 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13629385)
Because I saw the inevitably of what was happening and wanted to stop the bleeding. His attendance and poor job performance were also having a huge negative impact on the rest of the staff and the firm in general.

You probably did him a favor

Frazod 07-15-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13629393)
You probably did him a favor

I hope so. Years ago we had to fire another drunk - she got to the point where she actually came to work drunk, or reeking of alcohol. Unfortunately she never got better, and drank herself to death a couple of years ago.

GloryDayz 07-15-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by splatbass (Post 13629334)
We just have PTO, to be used for both vacation and sick leave. So this isn't a problem for us.

I try to save at least two weeks of PTO for emergencies. I've had surgery the last two years and have needed it.

That makes sense if there's only one.