ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink How have we not talked about spaghetti before? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313816)

Pasta Little Brioni 02-08-2018 06:12 PM

That's spaghetti. Not sure why one would say otherwise.

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2018 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13409188)
Spaghetti. Or ragu. Or whatever you wanna call it.

We Sicilians call it zugo.

And I haven't seen even one recipe in this thread that's even close to the way Italians on the North End of KC or anyone in my entire family make zugo and pasta.

And no, I'm not sharing our family recipe.

:D

HemiEd 02-08-2018 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13408854)
Sweet Italian sausage....

With Fettuccine and a white clam sauce. :drool:

notorious 02-08-2018 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13408352)
That would be affirmative.

That being said, I've never had Italian food that knocked my socks off.

I was in Chicago for an audit one time and the gals I traveled with found this ****ing high dollar Italian outfit everyone raved about. The pasta was meh and the Italian Sausage I bought was really ****ing undercooked. I mean make me dead undercooked. It took like an hour and half to get the undercooked one so I just didn't eat it and left.

So while I do know very little about Italian food, I've had a decent shot of it and even when I go spend big money I'm not impressed. So you'll just have to forgive my ignorance in this instance.

I need to take you to Garrozo's in KC. There is also a place down in Southeast Kansas that serves Italian food country style. It's in the middle of ****ing nowhere.

My mother is from an Italian family. I can eat Italian for every meal and be a happy man.

srvy 02-08-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13409199)

And I haven't seen even one recipe in this thread that's even close to the way Italians on the North End of KC or anyone in my entire family make zugo and pasta.

You mean sugo?

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 13409454)
You mean sugo?

Oops, zugu. Freaking autocorrect.

RJ 02-08-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 13408103)
I prefer thin noodles as opposed to traditional spaghetti noodles or angel hair.

#11 Cappellini

chiefzilla1501 02-08-2018 10:21 PM

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2009/...rict-nyce.html

This is my favorite write-up on spaghetti. Really super simple. But the butter and adding fresh garlic oil at the end is ****ing outstanding.

GloucesterChief 02-08-2018 10:22 PM

Basic tomato gravy:

-Meat of your choice: Ground beef, italian sausage, squid, or snow crab.
-If using ground beef or italian sausage add olive oil to bottom of pot. Heat and brown meat.
-Add tomato puree, water, and tomato paste in a 2-2-1 ratio.
-Add fresh pressed garlic , oregano, salt, and basil to taste.
-Bring to boil and then reduce to slow simmer. Cook for at least 45 minutes.
-If using snow crab or squid add to gravy 10 minutes before finishing simmering.
-Serve over pasta.

I prefer to user hot italian sausage, snow crab, or squid.

Sorter 02-08-2018 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13409199)

The way I learned how to make it involved Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, , cayenne pepper seeds browned in olive oil, salt, and pepper for the sugo (although you can add different cheeses/milk to change color/flavor/etc).

Then you can either cook in your meat or mushrooms to add flavor.

It’s pretty simple but a ****ing pain in the ass if you’re not cooking for a big group.

Sorter 02-08-2018 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13409461)
Oops, zugu. Freaking autocorrect.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 13409515)
The way I learned how to make it involved Roma tomatoes, onion, garlic, basil, , cayenne pepper seeds browned in olive oil, salt, and pepper for the sugo (although you can add different cheeses/milk to change color/flavor/etc).

Then you can either cook in your meat or mushrooms to add flavor.

It’s pretty simple but a ****ing pain in the ass if you’re not cooking for a big group.

I grew up with it. My grandmothers made ricotta (pronounced “reegotha”), arancini’s, bakes eggplant and so many more dishes.

On Christmas Eve, I’ve made it a tradition for me and my girls to make meatballs in prep for my zugu on Christmas Day. They don’t appreciate it now but they will in 20 years.

It all takes about six hours to cook but the best part, IMO, is cold meatballls for a week

Rasputin 02-08-2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13408120)
My guilty pleasure is Kraft Tangy Italian. It's hot garbage, but it's what Mom made when I was a kid, and I still love it from time to time. The pasta especially is bad, so I do throw that away and use real pasta.

http://assets.kraftfoods.com/ecomm/k...1000658800.jpg

I eat this all the time but I add Velveeta cheese sauce. I can't do much tomatoes any more because of acid reflux witch really sucks I miss making my Spaghetti and meat sauce. I really like the Kraft Spaghetti so I'm at least not missing out completely on spaghetti.

Rasputin 02-08-2018 10:42 PM

**** mushrooms. Why would anyone put fungus in their food?

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 13409528)
**** mushrooms. Why would anyone put fungus in their food?

Love mushrooms, love black olives, pretty much love every veggie