ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals (New NEW) 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286105)

alnorth 09-02-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 10873461)
I guess I am wrong here. I thought if we do not choose his option, he becomes a FA and can negotiate with any team, including us.

But I do not want him back if we are keeping Willingham. If we do not keep Josh or grab a BIG bat in FA, I would think about it at a much smaller contract. ( providing it was an option ) .

You may have read my post wrong. We did not disagree.

CaliforniaChief 09-02-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 10873326)
I really hope the Royals are having an extensive "hitting with a runner at third and less than 2 outs - how not to swing at balls several feet out of the strike zone" clinic today.

Really all they'd have to do is stop at the Little League fields on the way to the K to get that lesson.

And some of the guys might actually be able to reach the warning track there too.

Win-win.

ChiTown 09-02-2014 09:19 PM

The offense needs to get their asses in gear, play better station to station ball, and make these base runners count for more than some LOB stat. So ****ing frustrating, even with the win.

Coach 09-02-2014 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 10875318)
The offense needs to get their asses in gear, play better station to station ball, and make these base runners count for more than some LOB stat. So ****ing frustrating, even with the win.

It all comes down to plate discipline. It blows. It's frustrating to see the R's swinging at pitches well way out of the zone, yet, let good pitches go in the middle of the plate.

teedubya 09-02-2014 09:27 PM

25 games left.

BigCatDaddy 09-02-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10875337)
It all comes down to plate discipline. It blows. It's frustrating to see the R's swinging at pitches well way out of the zone, yet, let good pitches go in the middle of the plate.

Yeah, I don't think hiring an 8th hitting coach in 2 years is going to be the answer either.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-02-2014 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10875337)

Yep. Especially Perez. He drives me crazy. He could be such a good hitter if he had any sort of plate discipline whatsoever. Dude hacks at an insane number of pitches way out of the zone.

Coach 09-02-2014 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 10875355)
Yeah, I don't think hiring an 8th hitting coach in 2 years is going to be the answer either.

Sometimes, it may be a hitting coach, but I'm thinking it's more of an organizational problem, and player problem as well.

KChiefs1 09-02-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10875356)
Yep. Especially Perez. He drives me crazy. He could be such a good hitter if he had any sort of plate discipline whatsoever. Dude hacks at an insane number of pitches way out of the zone.

Manny Sanguillén

Bowser 09-02-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10875356)

Cain swings at some shit pitches as well.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-02-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 10875376)
Cain swings at some shit pitches as well.

Yep. So do Moustakas and Hosmer. Pretty much everybody on the team does, really.

ROYC75 09-02-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10875358)
Sometimes, it may be a hitting coach, but I'm thinking it's more of an organizational problem, and player problem as well.

I almost agree. I mentioned during the GDT I asked if (Dave) David works with them much. It goes much more than mechanics too. Coaches have to break out the pitching charts of opposing pitchers, how they like to work the count, so that the batter can possibly know what pitch to look for. All the little things you pick up with a pitcher, any give away signs, anything to get an edge.

As a baseball coach, I always taught batters to look 1st for the best pick up point of the ball from a pitcher.In Little League you can always pick up the ball easily because lack of speed. As the teams I coached got older, I started getting my guys to visualized the ball in the glove during windup, then follow the hand from the glove to the release. One should always pick it up when released and realize immediately, trajectory of the release (off speed) speed of the pitch, all the while keeping eyes glued to the ball, stride into the pitch leaving a level swinging stroke with the bat head as you swing the handle ( not the barrel )at the ball you are looking at.

Hitting the ball is not rocket science!

Strongside 09-02-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 10875358)

Dude. We've been through so many hitting coaches in the past 3 years. That's not our problem. The odds are that someone would have gotten it right by now. These players are pressing beyond belief right now. Everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to make the big hit, rather than stepping up and being the guy to make the big hit.

penbrook 09-02-2014 10:33 PM

Jeremy Guthrie wasn't perturbed to see Detroit won. He would prefer a two-team race to a three-team race.

Strongside 09-02-2014 10:34 PM

**ALSO**

It's a well-known fact that our hitting philosophy from top to bottom is to put the ball in play, rather than to hit 'your pitch.' We've got a lot of guys swinging at un-hittable shit thinking that they can at least put it in play, when in reality, they're taking stuff that could be dropped for a hit or put into the water. It's absolutely ALL about discipline at this point. They've got to realize, as players AND as an organization that just putting the ball in play isn't enough. While you give yourself a better chance for things to happen, you also swing at a lot of shit that just won't get you anywhere. Opposing pitchers/managers recognize this, and they continuously throw you shit...hoping/knowing you're going to bite.