ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money It's that time of year, TAX RETURN TIME! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269484)

Garcia Bronco 01-31-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 9368598)
Sounds like to me he doesn't withhold it much. Is he doing a single rate or a single or married, but withhold at a higher single rate?

Yeah..those people getting "6k checks" are dumb asses.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-31-2013 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 9368598)
Sounds like to me he doesn't withhold it much. Is he doing a single rate or a single or married, but withhold at a higher single rate?

He's single and files basic. What I mean by pays a few hundred dollars a year, is while everyone runs around with their 6 grand checks when they've paid usually no more than 2k tops into the system, he gets $70 and pays in $700.

So, since he doesn't have kids he gets to watch everyone that already makes 4 times what he makes run around and spend the money he put into the system that they didn't.

Mr. Flopnuts 01-31-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9368629)

Yeah, because having kids should mean people who don't, can subsidize them through child tax credits. Whatever though, they can all enjoy the welfare. He gets by.

donkhater 01-31-2013 06:47 PM

I get pissed if I owe or get refunded more than $500. My work bonus varies so much that's the best I can do to get within a window. If outside either way, I don't like it.

Coach 01-31-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9368645)
He's single and files basic. What I mean by pays a few hundred dollars a year, is while everyone runs around with their 6 grand checks when they've paid usually no more than 2k tops into the system, he gets $70 and pays in $700.

So, since he doesn't have kids he gets to watch everyone that already makes 4 times what he makes run around and spend the money he put into the system that they didn't.

Oh I understand that he was filing single and basic. What I was referring to was, if he can do his W-4 and withhold it at a single or married but withhold at a higher single rate, it will take a little bit more of his pay, but at the end, he would almost break even, if not, may get a small refund.

I typically go that route, and add in another $20 of extra withholding if I was single and no kids. Just my opinion.

Coach 01-31-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco (Post 9368629)

I was specifically talking about people who are single and has no kids in general.

hometeam 01-31-2013 07:13 PM

For the first year ever, I will receive a sizable return. Every penny save for maybe a hundred dollars will go to debt payoff. If everything pans out right, I will have only my mortgage left.

ToxSocks 01-31-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9368650)
Yeah, because having kids should mean people who don't, can subsidize them through child tax credits. Whatever though, they can all enjoy the welfare. He gets by.

Wth does welfare have to do with a child tax credit?

"no, please IRS, keep your $1,000 deduction. That's for those welfare chumps..."

GoHuge 01-31-2013 08:05 PM

No refund for me......beauty of owning your own company. Just hoping to write off as much as I can. The two checks I had to stroke last year sucked ****in ass. I've gotten a lot better at keeping track of things I can write off as this is year 3 now. I don't own a home because I don't know where I'm going to be in life in 5 years. Doing the renting a nice condo thing now. I don't need all the space of a house and without a family I don't really see the benefit. After interest and personal property tax the house is about a wash with the space and the sweet rental arrangement I have and I love the area I'm in. No maintenance, something breaks they come fix it, and I can give 30 days notice and I'm outta there penalty free. Suits my life for the present perfectly. For those getting a refund enjoy! If I can keep my tax bill from having a 2 in front of it I'll be pumped.

LoneWolf 01-31-2013 08:29 PM

Just totaled out my 2009 GMC Sierra with only two payments left before it was paid off. Any return we receive will be used to help pay off whatever new vehicle we decide to buy.

ClevelandBronco 01-31-2013 09:44 PM

People who don't know the difference between a tax return and a tax refund drive me crazy.

markd2000 01-31-2013 11:42 PM

I'm planning to cut a check to the IRS for about $20,000 in April and couldn't be happier. Why you ask? Well that $20k has been sitting in a tax-exempt bond fund that returned about $800 in tax free interest. It also appreciated about $600, which was a bonus. Now I could have been much more conservative and put it in a money market fund and earned about $200. So the point is, $200 or $1400 - that's money in my pocket. I always withhold the bare minimum needed to avoid getting an under-withholding penalty.

Bonus tax advise: Check out Form 8880. If you make below certain income thresholds, are not claimed as a dependent, born before Jan 1 1995, and not a student, then you can receive a tax credit up to $1000 for contributions up to $2000 to an IRA. That's as much as a 50% match by the government! Go for the Roth. Thats all.

Jenson71 01-31-2013 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9369035)
People who don't know the difference between a tax return and a tax refund drive me crazy.

I GET REALLY EXCITED ABOUT MY TAX RETURN.

BWillie 02-01-2013 12:34 AM

I make quarterly payments..im already fuked

ChiefGator 02-01-2013 05:37 AM

I'm getting close to $4000 this year for the first time. I usually set my taxes pretty well, so my refunds are < $500. But, this year I got married and we are filing jointly.

Using it to pay off debts... Debt free in 2013.