ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Hypothetical: Pioli and Crennel are gone. You get your choice for new Head Coach, and (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267905)

Hammock Parties 12-21-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 9230752)
He'll be wrong, and I will hate watching it be proven.

Sorry, but was Bill Walsh wrong? Were the Packers wrong when they traded for Favre?

It's OK to recognize that 1st round QBs are the statistical majority. It's also OK to recognize that it's not the only route and Geno is far from a lock, talented as he may be.

Sorter 12-21-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230777)
Sorry, but was Bill Walsh wrong? Were the Packers wrong when they traded for Favre?

It's OK to recognize that 1st round QBs are the statistical majority. It's also OK to recognize that it's not the only route and Geno is far from a lock, talented as he may be.

As far as this years draft goes, the only QBs I can see that might have the upside provided they are placed in favorable situations and progress favorably are Wilson, Barkley, Nassib, and Glennon.

None are going to step in immediately and produce like Geno IMO, and I do believe Geno's ceiling is higher than all of them by a substantial amount (WIlson being an outlier, hard to evaluate with everything that has happened for his O).

Hammock Parties 12-21-2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9230795)
As far as this years draft goes, the only QBs I can see that might have the upside provided they are placed in favorable situations and progress favorably are Wilson, Barkley, Nassib, and Glennon.

None are going to step in immediately and produce like Geno IMO, and I do believe Geno's ceiling is higher than all of them by a substantial amount (WIlson being an outlier, hard to evaluate with everything that has happened for his O).

That's great, man.

Maybe a guy in the NFL is smarter than you.

I'm gonna be disappointed if we don't take a QB in the 1st, but I'm not gonna call for immediate generalmanagerial evisceration.

the Talking Can 12-21-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230741)
It's not about playing odds if you're sure about the player.

Do you think Bill Walsh was "playing the odds" when he drafted Montana?

He knew.

it is playing against the odds

how about we draft a QB in the first round ONE TIME in 30 years then we can spend the rest our lives trying to draft tom brady...

bevischief 12-21-2012 07:17 PM

As long as they draft player makers not depth and address the holes on this team, I give 2 years if no playoff wins off with their heads.

wazu 12-21-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230777)

No, it isn't. It's been 30 years since we drafted a first round QB. We've waited far too long. Geno #1 overall or bust.

htismaqe 12-21-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230799)
That's great, man.

Maybe a guy in the NFL is smarter than you.

I'm gonna be disappointed if we don't take a QB in the 1st, but I'm not gonna call for immediate generalmanagerial evisceration.

WTF dude?!?!?!

We've spent the better part of the last 10 years talking about NOT ****ing with the odds.

56% of all Super Bowls have been won by guys drafted in the 1st round.

Now you're just gonna chuck that out the window because you wanna "get behind" the new guy?

That doesn't make any sense...

Hammock Parties 12-21-2012 07:29 PM

There are no "odds" involved if our GM is sure about the QB he's picking.

If he knows what QB he wants, and he's genius enough to get an elite one outside the 1st round, more power to him.

Just playing devil's advocate.

htismaqe 12-21-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230839)

If he knows what QB he wants, and he's genius enough to get an elite one outside the 1st round, more power to him.

Dude, you're basically suggesting that our new GM is a once-in-a-generation talent evaluator who is going to find a once-in-a-generation steal at QB.

Usually devil's advocates have well-thought-out, or even shrewd, arguments.

The Devil doesn't play the lottery.

Bearcat 12-21-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230839)

That doesn't make any sense.... I'm sure someone who said "I see something in Tom Brady" also said the same thing about Brady Quinn or some other <strike>bench warmer</strike> Chiefs starter. You're always taking a chance, and the fewer people who see "it" in a player, the bigger the chance you're taking.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9230851)
Dude, you're basically suggesting that our new GM is a once-in-a-generation talent evaluator who is going to find a once-in-a-generation steal at QB.

Usually devil's advocates have well-thought-out, or even shrewd, arguments.

The Devil doesn't play the lottery.

I'm suggesting it's possible, that's all.

DeezNutz 12-21-2012 07:45 PM

It's possible that Pioli will go to another organization and be successful. Statistically, it's improbable because Pioli is a stupid mother****er, but it's still "possible."

If our new GM doesn't draft a QB in the first, I will instantly hate the stupid sonofabitch.

AussieChiefsFan 12-21-2012 07:57 PM

Hell naw

J Diddy 12-21-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9230741)
It's not about playing odds if you're sure about the player.

Do you think Bill Walsh was "playing the odds" when he drafted Montana?

He knew.

That's ridiculous horse shit. If he knew what kind of player Joe Montana would become then why did he wait until the third round to draft him?

RunKC 12-21-2012 08:09 PM

There will be no real QB prospect to try on in round 2. Geno, Wilson, Barkley, Glennon and Bray will all be gone by our pick in the 2nd round.