ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Pick #33. Round 2. What to do? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267206)

The Franchise 11-29-2012 11:59 PM

Trade back into the 1st round for Eifert. :D

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9163610)
You can never have too many defensive backs.

You can, however, be short by about 3. At present, that's exactly where we find ourselves.

If you have a decent QB, he can act as a force multiplier that makes all of our playmakers better. Moreover, we can't gauge what we do have on this roster without a legit QB in place (except for McCluster...he sucks).

We do know, however, that we're a #2 CB shy and that we desperately need an upgrade at both RDE and LDE.

I'd take the defenders and make 2013 year an evaluation year for the rest of the offensive weapons on the team. Only after we get a QB in here can we actually hazard a guess as to just how dire our need for more offensive skill position players is.

Usually, I'd be all over taking a 3-tech who can rush the passer over a CB but with our current personnel, I'd advocate taking an elite 6'1+ corner unless the DT/DE to play the 3-tech was an absolute freak.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9163623)
Damn.

Back to back responses that say "fair enough" and "fine with that"...

****in' planet is going soft man...

I just value your opinion, man. *insert the dude GIF*

:)

DaneMcCloud 11-30-2012 12:07 AM

At this point in time (which WILL change after the Senior Bowl, Blue-Gray and the Combines), Rushbacker is very deep in this draft.

Regardless of the new DC or head coach's philosophy, pass rushers are always needed.

I'm going OLB.

O.city 11-30-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9163667)
At this point in time (which WILL change after the Senior Bowl, Blue-Gray and the Combines), Rushbacker is very deep in this draft.

Regardless of the new DC or head coach's philosophy, pass rushers are always needed.

I'm going OLB.

I had thought about that, it makes sense to me as well.

I woudln't mind to get a guy that's a bit heavier that could move inside some as well.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

I'm going OLB.

I'd love to be able to get at least 2 OLBs who can rush the passer, in addition to 2 3-techs that can push the pocket, whether through FA or the draft.

O.city 11-30-2012 12:10 AM

2 more OLB's outside of Hali and Houston?

DJ's left nut 11-30-2012 12:13 AM

Quote:

I'm going OLB.

Gonna flip to a 4-3?

I don't see how even a conversion to a 1-gap would make Hali or Houston viable 3-4 DEs. Nor do I see Houston making the switch to TLB very well.

Are you ready to move on from Houston already? Replace Hali?

Seems to me like we have too many more pressing issues than OLB right now. That is, unless you switch to the 4-3 and move Hali back to the DE. If that's your plan, I can get behind that.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:18 AM

His idea might be like th Texans last year (and mine IIRC) in which we pick up the best OLB for depth and use on sub packages.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9163676)
2 more OLB's outside of Hali and Houston?

I hate to say this, but with the way Tamba plays, he's probably due for an injury. Additionally, if you look at elite 1-gap teams, they typically are 3 deep minimum at OLB. This can provide different looks on subs and also provide valuable depth.

The more legit pass rushers you have, the better you are IMO (provided you have a competent QB).

For example, the Giants are technically 4 deep at DE with JPP, Tuck OSi, and Kiwanuka(sp?). It behooves oneself to get as many talented players at vital positions as one can, IMO.

The Giants are also lucky they can slide JPP, TucK and Osi inside when they desire.

DaneMcCloud 11-30-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9163684)
Gonna flip to a 4-3?

I don't see how even a conversion to a 1-gap would make Hali or Houston viable 3-4 DEs. Nor do I see Houston making the switch to TLB very well.

Are you ready to move on from Houston already? Replace Hali?

Seems to me like we have too many more pressing issues than OLB right now. That is, unless you switch to the 4-3 and move Hali back to the DE. If that's your plan, I can get behind that.

Just imagine Hali, Houston and another OLB (if not two more) coming at all times. No letting up on the gas. Pretty much like the Giants but with a 3-4 alignment.

It would be hell for an OC to gameplan on third down, especially as if you suggest, moving Hali to end in obvious passing situations. An attacking, pass rushing, monster defense.

It would be awesome.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9163700)
Just imagine Hali, Houston and another OLB (if not two more) coming at all times. No letting up on the gas. Pretty much like the Giants but with a 3-4 alignment.

It would be hell for an OC to gameplan on third down, especially as if you suggest, moving Hali to end in obvious passing situations. An attacking, pass rushing, monster defense.

It would be awesome.

My draft idea last year (endorsed somewhat by Direckshun) was to draft Mercilus and work in a sub package of him, Hali, Houston, Bailey, and whoever.

If Bailey had panned out and we'd drafted Mercilus, that would have been awesome.

O.city 11-30-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

It would be awesome.

Having a set of say Poe and beefier OLB with hands int he dirt and Hali, Houston and another pass rusher coming wouldn't be a bad thing.

Sorter 11-30-2012 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9163710)
Having a set of say Poe and beefier OLB with hands int he dirt and Hali, Houston and another pass rusher coming wouldn't be a bad thing.

It would rape faces.

That is what it would do.

People would bow to it. ROFL

DJ's left nut 11-30-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

It would be awesome.

So what you're really talking about is something similar to the Falcon.

You're running a 3-3 but with a DE acting as a standup linebacker (in this case, Hali). You could have him put his hand on the ground on occasion, but also drop him back off the line and into coverage (or off the line and still send a blitz to keep the opponent guessing).

I could see it as an interesting sub package, but not much more than that. It just doesn't work well in a 3-4 because you'd be incredibly susceptible to cut-back runs and/or anything off-tackle. Worse still, we're struggling to keep the seams and intermediate passing zones covered with multiple LBs in coverage; start blitzing 3 and you're going to get dink and dunked to death if you stick with the same 3-4 sets we've been running. There's just not enough beef in the line to dedicate 3 linebackers to pass-rush responsibilities on 1st and 2nd down.

If you can get a good pass rusher in the 3rd, go ahead - I'm comfortable using a 3rd for what I would only want to utilize as a sub package. But with the gaping holes at CB, safety and down-lineman that already exist, I just can't see using a higher pick than that on a sub player. That's what leads to you taking Javier Arenas or Dexter McCluster.