ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics The REAL tablet wars are about to start (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265039)

Braincase 10-29-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9063273)
Depends on the specs. I'm worried that you'll get "meh" specs and a $1200+ price. IF you get killer specs for $1000-$1200 for a device that replaces both a laptop and tablet.. well worth it to me. But it has to TRULY replace a laptop not just "sort of" replace one.

The cool part about this is that unlike Apple's bullshit, these prices won't be locked in. More and more hardware vendors will come online with this and drive prices down eventually. So even if these start at $2000.. who cares? The prices should drop fairly quickly.

One of the reasons I hate Apple. If you want the Apple OS, you have ZERO choice on hardware vendors. That's BS.

DaFace 10-29-2012 04:35 PM

Not sure if this is thread-worthy, so I'll throw it in here. As expected, Google is expanding the Nexus line to include four phones/tablets:

Quote:

• Nexus 4: 8GB for $299; 16GB for $349; available unlocked and without a contract on 11/13 on the Google Play store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada. The 16GB version will also be available through T-Mobile for $199, with a 2-year contract (check here for more details).
  • Nexus 7: 16GB for $199 and 32GB for $249; available in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan, and also through our retail partners Gamestop, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples and Walmart.
  • Nexus 7 with 32GB and mobile data: $299 and unlocked, on sale 11/13 in the Google Play store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain and Canada.
  • Nexus 10: 16GB for $399; 32GB for $499; available on 11/13 in the Google Play Store in the U.S., U.K., Australia, France, Germany, Spain, Canada and Japan. You'll also be able to purchase the 32GB version in more than 2,000 Walmart stores in the U.S.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/...ree-sizes.html

AustinChief 10-29-2012 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 9063361)
One of the reasons I hate Apple. If you want the Apple OS, you have ZERO choice on hardware vendors. That's BS.

Yep, I have to buy a stupid Apple now so I can program iPhone apps. They won't even let you code for them without using OSX. Craptastic.

At least the new iMac minis look decent and aren't horribly overpriced.

AustinChief 10-29-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9063403)
Not sure if this is thread-worthy, so I'll throw it in here. As expected, Google is expanding the Nexus line to include four phones/tablet
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/...ree-sizes.html

A bit underwhelming... I was hoping for an update to the 7 and possibly a slight price drop.

The Nexus 10 sounds fantastic from what I hear. Having multiple profiles for users is a major major major plus. But was also hoping it would retail about $50 cheaper.

Selling the $499 32GB version thru Walmart should be a major boost to sales though.

Best news is that for $100 less than an iPad, you get a MUCH better device.

Better display, faster processor, better speakers, NFC, 2x the RAM and better cameras.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ft-surface-rt/

WoodDraw 10-29-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9063789)
A bit underwhelming... I was hoping for an update to the 7 and possibly a slight price drop.

It did get an update,

8->16gigs
16->32gigs

And a new 3G option. Let's remember that the Nexus 7 has only been out since July, and in some countries a matter of weeks. A lot of consumers (even techy ones) think that the upgrade cycle with tablets and cellphones is too aggressive. Doing any serious upgrade this soon would be a bit brutal.

A big, overlooked part of this upgrade is the new content deals. Warner signs up finally, more content deals in other countries, and Google announces launch of a Google Music Matching system. Getting closer to parity in content.

DaveNull 10-29-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9063761)
Yep, I have to buy a stupid Apple now so I can program iPhone apps. They won't even let you code for them without using OSX. Craptastic.

At least the new iMac minis look decent and aren't horribly overpriced.

So? You can't get Visual Studio for OS X. I can't imagine that you'd want to build for a platform you can't test on.

Mack 10-30-2012 12:21 AM

GuildWars is currently only available for Windows, not Android. There is a Wine-wrapper for it if you want to run it on a Mac, but getting it to run on an Android is an entirely different matter.
Hardware-wise it should run just fine, but since the OS is not compatible I can't see how you would get it to run.

Silock 10-30-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9063789)

The Nexus 10 sounds fantastic from what I hear. Having multiple profiles for users is a major major major plus. But was also hoping it would retail about $50 cheaper.

Selling the $499 32GB version thru Walmart should be a major boost to sales though.

Best news is that for $100 less than an iPad, you get a MUCH better device.

Better display, faster processor, better speakers, NFC, 2x the RAM and better cameras.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/...ft-surface-rt/

But no SD card slot! OMFG! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

007 10-30-2012 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9064884)
But no SD card slot! OMFG! THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AS I say for apple. It is dumb not to include one.

Silock 10-30-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9064893)
AS I say for apple. It is dumb not to include one.

Cloud > SD

007 10-30-2012 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 9064895)
Cloud > SD

only if you have 3g/4g or wifi in the area. I want my device to be as mobile as possible without having to spend money I shouldn't have to. Not to mention the bandwidth limits carriers like to instill.

And anyway, how much can it possibly cost to put that tiny little slot in there that allows up to 64 or even 128 extra gb. Nope, they have to find a way to charge you $100 -200 more for that little bit of space.

Silock 10-30-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9064900)
only if you have 3g/4g or wifi in the area. I want my device to be as mobile as possible without having to spend money I shouldn't have to. Not to mention the bandwidth limits carriers like to instill.

And anyway, how much can it possibly cost to put that tiny little slot in there that allows up to 64 or even 128 extra gb. Nope, they have to find a way to charge you $100 -200 more for that little bit of space.

In my years of owning a tablet, I've yet to need more than the built in storage. I not quite sure how that means it's less mobile. Not trying to be a dick. I just really don't understand what you are saying in that respect.

HC_Chief 10-30-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9064459)
So? You can't get Visual Studio for OS X. I can't imagine that you'd want to build for a platform you can't test on.

Parallels, dual-boot, or simply run Windows on the Mac hardware... all valid options, but all a bit ridiculous (Parallels is pretty cool, I have to admit).

Apples are great for self-absorbed hipster kids in fake eyeglasses & skinny jeans, blogging away in coffee shops. ;) Their market was built on Windows Vista. Perhaps Windows 8, with its radical departure from a traditional desktop experience, will give rise to a valid third option? Perhaps a more user-friendly Linux distro (Ubuntu is very user-friendly IMO, but to most non-technical people, it is still too difficult to use).

htismaqe 10-30-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HC_Chief (Post 9065975)
Parallels, dual-boot, or simply run Windows on the Mac hardware... all valid options, but all a bit ridiculous (Parallels is pretty cool, I have to admit).

Apples are great for self-absorbed hipster kids in fake eyeglasses & skinny jeans, blogging away in coffee shops. ;) Their market was built on Windows Vista. Perhaps Windows 8, with its radical departure from a traditional desktop experience, will give rise to a valid third option? Perhaps a more user-friendly Linux distro (Ubuntu is very user-friendly IMO, but to most non-technical people, it is still too difficult to use).

There are Ubuntu-based distro's (LinuxMint anyone?) that are VERY user-friendly.

htismaqe 10-30-2012 01:48 PM

Oops, I posted this in the wrong thread...

So I just had a discussion with a customer about Surface, RT, and Windows 8. They're a BIG fan and say they much prefer Microsoft's solution vs. the iPad and Android. Why?

Because it runs all the shit they already run. That's the pitch, right there.

Great new features? Maybe. But it runs Office!

I've come to realize that most of our discussion is misplaced. Of course the potential $1200 price tag is too high - for a HOME USER.