ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Pitt Gorilla 09-27-2010 12:16 PM

Eh, it seems to me that they are trying to fit too much plot into a single episode. I'm sure some will appreciate it, but it's just going a bit far (in an episode) for me. Focus on 2-3 story lines more deeply. JMO.

Reaper16 09-27-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7043613)
Eh, it seems to me that they are trying to fit too much plot into a single episode. I'm sure some will appreciate it, but it's just going a bit far (in an episode) for me. Focus on 2-3 story lines more deeply. JMO.

Which is interesting in a season that has been nearly bereft of plot altogether. It caused me (and I suspect a lot of the audience) to react to the show with beating chest and a palpable sense of nervousness - a lesser version of the panic that Don Draper was feeling. I had no problems with the abundance of sudden plot advancement. SHIT WENT DOWN and it was exciting and kept me reeling. Sometimes you have to air a "move the pieces into place" episode. If you can do that with as much artistic flair and impact as last night's episode then you're doing something right.

Pitt Gorilla 10-18-2010 12:02 PM

Damn this show is good. Last night's episode was awesome.

Baby Lee 10-18-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7099644)
Damn this show is good. Last night's episode was awesome.

Thought it was interesting how they subtly counterposed Don's rationale for writing his open letter to the NYT and his proposal.

noa 10-18-2010 04:10 PM

Thought that was a great season finale.

Don's been working on improving himself through the latter half of the season (as his new fiance notes), and yet instead of confronting Dick Whitman and doing what Faye thinks will cure that feeling in his gut, he retreats into a quick engagement to someone who only thinks she knows him. As a viewer, I was torn between being happy for him (because he does seem genuinely happy and she is smokin and she's good with the kids), and being concerned for him because this is impulsive and will force him to perpetuate his lies to a new wife.

I also thought Peggy's role in the episode was great. She saved the firm, and barely got any recognition (although Don was genuinely proud of her). And also that statement Don made -- something along the lines of "there's a lot about her that reminds me of you" -- was very interesting.

Baby Lee 10-18-2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7100209)
And also that statement Don made -- something along the lines of "there's a lot about her that reminds me of you" -- was very interesting.

A statement that perfectly passes both sets of ears in completely different ways.

Don says it in an effort to convey the esteem he has for Peggy, ignorant to the matter of relative attractiveness.

Peggy hears it as a judgement of relative attractiveness, ignorant to the matter of the esteem Don has for her.

Reaper16 10-18-2010 05:17 PM

This show is so good. So good.

GloryDayz 10-18-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6898343)
Season 4 premiered tonight. I would have bumped the season three thread but I titled it "season 3," which no longer seems appropriate.

Who saw it? It was a stupendous hour of television. All sorts of shit has happened in the eleven months that have passed (in-story) between the formation of Sterling Cooper Draper Price and the beginning of season 4. The premeir was stepped in the juices of the sexual revolution. It also had a lot to say about the increasing role of the media in the success or failure of things. It was great to see Don fail a little bit, and it was exciting to consider the future implications at the end of Don crafting a public/media persona that is completely unlike his actual personality.

:clap: Go Chiefs!!! :doh!:

Pushead2 10-18-2010 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7100295)
This show is so good. So good.

this....can't believe we have to wait til next August.

I love the scene of Betty and Don. Kind of made you feel good / reminds you of the first season when it was so happy go lucky.

:clap:

noa 10-19-2010 08:46 AM

This is an amazing review/recap of the season finale

http://videogum.com/235992/mad-men-s...ale/tv/recaps/

Baby Lee 10-19-2010 09:10 AM

Haha. “I’m the head of boners I MEAN TELEVISION.” ROFL ROFL

OnTheWarpath15 10-19-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7100985)

That's awesome.

Pitt Gorilla 10-19-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 7100228)
A statement that perfectly passes both sets of ears in completely different ways.

Don says it in an effort to convey the esteem he has for Peggy, ignorant to the matter of relative attractiveness.

Peggy hears it as a judgement of relative attractiveness, ignorant to the matter of the esteem Don has for her.

I think it also worries Peggy, as she sees her as another girl who is "working" her way up through the company/Don.

Reaper16 10-19-2010 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 7100985)

I usually love the Videogum recaps of the show, but that one pissed me off. In no way was the episode "boring," as the recap claims multiple times.

DaneMcCloud 10-19-2010 05:50 PM

While I thought this season was well-acted, everything that happened was completely and overtly obvious.

Faye Miller said early on that Don would remarry within a year, so I wasn't shocked at all when he proposed to his secretary. The other character progressions were predictable as well.

I hope next season is better.