ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Mahomes And Other Starters To Sit Out (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351658)

PAChiefsGuy 01-04-2024 04:13 AM

If I am Reid unless Kelce was adamant about playing I'd sit him. Who cares if he gets to 1,000 yds or not? Everyone already knows how good he is.

Monticore 01-04-2024 05:14 AM

How many consecutive 1000 yard seasons would it make for Travis 7-8? For a TE must be a record or close , throw him a few quick screens/swing passes the. Get him out .

Tribal Warfare 01-04-2024 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danguardace (Post 17317903)
Still makes me laugh people think you are going to learn anything from playing a meaningless game against a meaningless team. Only bad things can happen. Chargers showed us this last year when Mike Williams got carted off the field against Denver week 18 with the same Bullshift macho rah rah attitude.

You sit all of your starters it's just simple, playing people for personal goals means you aren't playing for a championship; if Travis gets his yard and this team gets bounced week 1 this place will be the first to melt down.

Someone pressed Juan Thornhill to play when he was injured in the final game and had a non-contact ACL rupture

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2024 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monticore (Post 17317921)
How many consecutive 1000 yard seasons would it make for Travis 7-8? For a TE must be a record or close , throw him a few quick screens/swing passes the. Get him out .

Currently has 7 but will become 8 if he hits it this season. Next closest is 3 for a TE. But that gap may close fast given 17 game seasons.

But we're not just in TE territory. I think among WRs this puts him in the top 10 for consecutive seasons and in the top 17 for total 1000 yard seasons. If he gets to 9 next season (which I think is entirely possible if he's healthy and gets help) we're talking top 3 of ALL pass catchers and top 7 overall.

If he gets to 9 we're talking Jerry rice and Mike Evans (who may end up tying or even beating Rices record).

MVChiefFan 01-04-2024 07:19 AM

Kelce is on a record streak of seven going on eight straight 1,000 yard seasons. The next closest TE has three or four, I think. I have no idea if he will play or not, but here’s a few thoughts.

1. If you think for a second that this streak doesn’t mean anything to Travis, you’re fooling yourself. He’s definitely a team player, but this kind of stuff is important to these guys.

2. Just the fact that it’s already been announced that Mahomes will sit, but it’s still up in the air for Kelce clearly says there’s discussions going on between them.

3. If it weren’t so damn close, it probably wouldn’t even be a discussion. But 16 yards shy is so hard to not go for.

4. For the team and fan base it’s best that he doesn’t run the risk of getting hurt before the playoffs. But, I completely understand it and wouldn’t be angry at all if some flukey injury happened. Hell, it would be par for course this season.

In summation, I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t happen. I just wouldn’t be surprised at all if he started the game.

Danguardace 01-04-2024 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimo (Post 17317619)
If our playoff chances hinge on one rookie WR we have no business doing anything this year anyway.

They don't though.

You must have slept through last season, rookie contribution was a huge factor in winning it all.

penguinz 01-04-2024 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17317604)
There ain't no I in team

This is what someone that is a perennial loser says. Even team games require individuals to excel and take over to reach the teams ultimate goals.

ChiTown 01-04-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 17317945)
Kelce is on a record streak of seven going on eight straight 1,000 yard seasons. The next closest TE has three or four, I think. I have no idea if he will play or not, but here’s a few thoughts.

1. If you think for a second that this streak doesn’t mean anything to Travis, you’re fooling yourself. He’s definitely a team player, but this kind of stuff is important to these guys.

2. Just the fact that it’s already been announced that Mahomes will sit, but it’s still up in the air for Kelce clearly says there’s discussions going on between them.

3. If it weren’t so damn close, it probably wouldn’t even be a discussion. But 16 yards shy is so hard to not go for.

4. For the team and fan base it’s best that he doesn’t run the risk of getting hurt before the playoffs. But, I completely understand it and wouldn’t be angry at all if some flukey injury happened. Hell, it would be par for course this season.

In summation, I’m not saying it should or shouldn’t happen. I just wouldn’t be surprised at all if he started the game.

I think Andy is going to give him 1, MAYBE 2 quarters to get it done, and then the plug will get pulled. Unfortunately for Kelce, he has to rely on Blaine Gabbert to execute a pass. Godspeed, Kelc…

O.city 01-04-2024 08:45 AM

When you're getting ready for Canton, these things matter. Let him get 16 yards.

tredadda 01-04-2024 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVChiefFan (Post 17317945)

He also has 3 seasons with 100 receptions. The next closest TE has 1. Feed him the ball so he can get his 7 receptions as well so he can expand his lead in that category.

Lzen 01-04-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17317540)
It sounds crazy but also not

The chargers just want to end the season and until kelce breaks 1000 it's a distraction to the game. Wouldn't surprise me if they groove it to get it out of the way. The sooner it happens the sooner the Chiefs stop giving a shit, which I imagine is what both teams want

I don't know if I buy that. The Chargers have an interim coach. Those guys often times want to show out as best they can. I suppose some of the players may be already thinking about their vacations. I guess this will be an interesting storyline.

Lzen 01-04-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 17317771)
Not sure Travis would want the record with token yards in an added game. Records set with 17 games already seem cheap.

He’s either going to play to win or he’ll sit. Willing to bet he sits.

Why do people in this thread keep forgetting that Travis did not play in week 1?

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 17317997)
This is what someone that is a perennial loser says. Even team games require individuals to excel and take over to reach the teams ultimate goals.

Travis is a really well loved teammate. It speaks volumes that he's BFFs with the captain on both sides of the ball.

The "we" in team is going to feel like they let travis down. And will be overjoyed if they get him over 1000. I don't know if kelce is fighting to play but I am betting mahomes will not shut up about it unless he does. As will all the other influential teammates.

chiefzilla1501 01-04-2024 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 17318015)
Why do people in this thread keep forgetting that Travis did not play in week 1?

Not to mention in a 16 game season, very likely they try way harder to get him over 1000 in the final game of the year.

Lzen 01-04-2024 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17317916)
Another scary thing about Kelce playing is guys will KNOW that we are trying to go for him no matter what and will be gunning for him.

:doh!:
As if that isn't already the case every week.