ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Nightfyre 12-10-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9197892)
Yeah. I look at that list of 8, and it's a bunch of no-name dogs that seem to make no sense sitting on a list of the games best starters. Let's drop "wins" from the group.

Sabermetrics is cool, but it's not really disproving anything here in this instance.

By all true measurements, Shields is around the 25th best pitcher in the league. Don't try and oversell me on this ace bullshit.

alnorth 12-10-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 9197886)
Odorizzi throws 4 pitches. How many more does he have left to learn?

are those pitches any good? Most pitchers mechanically know how one could throw at least 7 or 8 pitches.

alnorth 12-10-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9197897)
By all true measurements, Shields is around the 25th best pitcher in the league. Don't try and oversell me on this ace bullshit.

Wouldn't ace, by definition, be the top 30 pitchers in baseball? We have 30 teams, 30 #1 slots, and the word "ace" is synonymous with the number one. Some teams obviously have more than 1 ace, and some have none, but I'd say the cutoff is probably the 30th-best pitcher, the cutoff for "#2 pitcher" is at #60, and so on.

SAUTO 12-10-2012 07:31 PM

Love how rany kicked o's douchebag in the face
Posted via Mobile Device

Chiefspants 12-10-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9197921)
Wouldn't ace, by definition, be the top 30 pitchers in baseball? We have 30 teams, 30 #1 slots, and the word "ace" is synonymous with the number one. Some teams obviously have more than 1 ace, and some have none, but I'd say the cutoff is probably the 30th-best pitcher, the cutoff for "#2 pitcher" is at #60, and so on.

That's what I was thinking as well, if Zack had magically signed on to the Royals again, I am sure many would be rejoicing that we had an ace again. This is rather hypocritical, as Shields has actually outpitched the 147 Million Dollar Man over the past two seasons.

Nightfyre 12-10-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9197921)

I would say there is not a true ace on every pitching staff, just as there is not a franchise QB on every football team. JMO.

alnorth 12-10-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9197934)
I would say there is not a true ace on every pitching staff, just as there is not a franchise QB on every football team. JMO.

well yeah. I specifically said that.

We should be able to come up with a list of pitchers who are under contract to pitch in 2013, and from that list, we have 30 aces, 30 #2's, 30 #3's, etc.

Nightfyre 12-10-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9197946)
well yeah. I specifically said that.

We should be able to come up with a list of pitchers who are under contract to pitch in 2013, and from that list, we have 30 aces, 30 #2's, 30 #3's, etc.

Shields is borderline. But overselling it as some great trade where we grabbed some top 10 pitcher is disingenuous. (as the prison fella is doing)

I am actually cooling off about the trade as a whole. The thing is, if we don't win this year, these young players may just give up hope of ever being a winner in KC. You could already see the seams of the clubhouse getting ready to burst at the end of last year. I specifically remember frenchy getting thrown out at second like a dumbass and Hosmer/Moose just ripping him a new asshole.

stonedstooge 12-10-2012 07:39 PM

Listened to a clip of him on KC radio today. Dude sounds really excited to be coming here

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9197897)

Bull. Shields is a damn good pitcher. You don't just walk out there on the mound in the Bigs, and toss 200 IP and strike out 200+. Esp in the AL with the DH in these lineups. Saying he's not that hot......it's bull.

And I'm totally against the trade so, can't accuse me of bias here.

Ceej 12-10-2012 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9197931)
Love how rany kicked o's douchebag in the face
Posted via Mobile Device

Wait, wha?

What did I miss?

Prison Bitch 12-10-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9197934)

Crazy-ass analogy. There are 5 pitchers in a rotation and only 1 QB. A better analogy would be to say every NFL team has 1 playmaker at the WR/RB position. That's four guys to choose from. Most do, some do not. But QB to a rotation is a dumb analogy.

DeezNutz 12-10-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9197889)
That's the thing - they don't.

Find me someone in your farm system that can play a plus RF, adequate 2b and give you a .360 OBP against righties. The Royals had exactly 1 guy on their major league roster put up a .360 OBP against RHers last season.

People sleep on Skip's ability to get on base - he's actually quite good at it.

Myers. Oh, ****.

Mr. Laz 12-10-2012 08:01 PM

Shields is a legit #2+ type pitcher ... not an ace but a solid,winning pitcher

Wade Davis is a solid 3 or a stud long reliever

Hosmer rebounds

Frenchy straightens up at the plate

Cain stays healthy

Gio figures it out

Royals go to World Series

BOOM!!!!!!!

alnorth 12-10-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9198069)
Shields is a legit #2+ type pitcher ... not an ace but a solid,winning pitcher

Wade Davis is a solid 3 or a stud long reliever

Hosmer rebounds

Frenchy straightens up at the plate

Cain stays healthy

Gio figures it out

Royals go to World Series

BOOM!!!!!!!

I started looking at the Tigers lineup, and rotation. Looking at the Bill James projections (which by the way predicts a bunch of our players will rebound), and its sobering.

Detroit, on paper, looks pretty good. They wouldn't win the AL East, but by the AL Central's crappy standards, they will be tough, and I don't think we'll have a wild card in this division.

Whoever starts the 2013 thread, whether its me or someone else, probably should have a picture of the Detroit "D" in a gun cross-hair.