ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Killer apps for Android? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237705)

Mr. Plow 05-29-2014 08:06 AM

For texting, I've used GO SMS for a long time. But, in the past 8 months they have just infested it with ads. There is an ad at the top of your conversation list that looks like a new text, so you click it. Pop up ads with a note that says "User, upgrade to premium to eliminate all ads." Assholes. Used to be a great app.

So, I've been looking for a new app. Tried out Hangouts and I like it reasonably well. Only issue I have with it is that it doesn't appear that I can set individual notification tones for people.

Mojo Rising 05-29-2014 02:39 PM

I had to find a new texting app because the Nexus 5 only comes with Hangouts and I didnt like it. I have been using 8sms and have been very happy with it.

I referred it to my friend who has the SG3and he replaced the stock Samsung texting app and he can now group text.

planetdoc 05-29-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyong Bluth (Post 10629030)
Once the Android version of Cyber Dust is made available, I'll give it a try.

It automatically deletes your sent message 24 - 30 seconds once it has been opened by the person, and can block screen shots being taken of your message on most phone, but if one is taken it, it alerts you that one has been screen captured.

unless the message has been encrypted than you can assume that your carrier has access to your texts. Once someone else has access to the hardware (i.e. it is on your friends phone), you can assume that their will be a countermeasure to whatever "protections" Cyber Dust provides. A simple one would be using a second camera/phone to take a picture of the screen which has the text.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Rising (Post 10658318)
I referred it to my friend who has the SG3and he replaced the stock Samsung texting app and he can now group text.

textsecure can also do group texts. :D

BigMeatballDave 05-29-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Rising (Post 10658318)
I had to find a new texting app because the Nexus 5 only comes with Hangouts and I didnt like it. I have been using 8sms and have been very happy with it.

I like this better than the Samsung app. Thanks for the tip.

DaveNull 05-29-2014 06:50 PM

I don't know why you would use anything but Textsecure. Ads? In your text messages? Standard apps that won't handle group messaging? Next you'll be telling me you have to dial a phone number to get to your voice messages.

Mr. Plow 05-29-2014 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10658844)
I don't know why you would use anything but Textsecure. Ads? In your text messages? Standard apps that won't handle group messaging? Next you'll be telling me you have to dial a phone number to get to your voice messages.

I switched over to Textra yesterday to try it out. Works just like GO SMS minus the ads.

listopencil 05-29-2014 09:09 PM

I was using Tune In as my radio app until I noticed that it was taking up over 300 MB. I switched to rad.io and I like it. Very light functionality but it's only approx 5 MB and it is free.

BigMeatballDave 05-30-2014 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 10658844)

I never get Ads in my text messages.

I did when I was with Straight Talk.

Mr. Plow 05-30-2014 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10659991)
I never get Ads in my text messages.

I did when I was with Straight Talk.

What messaging app are you using?

BigMeatballDave 05-31-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 10660043)
What messaging app are you using?

Was using the stock Samsung app.

8sms now.

SAUTO 06-01-2014 09:39 AM

Why would anyone need a different text messenging app than what comes on the phone?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mojo Rising 06-01-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10663590)
Why would anyone need a different text messenging app than what comes on the phone?
Posted via Mobile Device

In my case the Nexus 5 doesn't come with a stock texting app. It comes with Hangouts which I did not like so I replaced it.

My friend has a SG3 which does not handle group texts with it's stock app. He replaced it so he could group text.

BigMeatballDave 06-01-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10663590)
Posted via Mobile Device

Other than what Mojo said, basically for a different look.

Samsung's stock app is kinda boring to look at.

SAUTO 06-01-2014 01:56 PM

Oh got you. You guys are fancy schmancy
Posted via Mobile Device

MahiMike 06-01-2014 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10659588)
I was using Tune In as my radio app until I noticed that it was taking up over 300 MB. I switched to rad.io and I like it. Very light functionality but it's only approx 5 MB and it is free.

I took off Tunein. I like Slacker Radio.