ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Books Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=257566)

keg in kc 01-31-2018 10:43 AM

Children of Time was good. Did the audiobook during a trip last summer.

Need to buy the latest Expanse novel.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01-31-2018 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13391931)

I’m digging it so far. Reminds me of A Fire Upon the Deep a little.

Miles 01-31-2018 03:00 PM

Quote:

Good to hear as I’ve had Children of Time in my Audible queue for a while but haven’t gotten around to it yet. Will be my next up.

Bowser 01-31-2018 08:16 PM

I always enjoy seeing this thread bumped.

I took Shifty's recommendation and downloaded Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns. I'll report back on it when I'm done.

keg in kc 01-31-2018 08:23 PM

I've never been able to get into Alistair Reynolds for some reason. I've tried, but something about his writing hasn't resonated with me.

Bowser 01-31-2018 08:26 PM

Well shit, tell me that now. Lol

I'll probably que up your Children of Time next. I've had pretty good luck taking recommendations from this thread.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01-31-2018 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13393790)
I always enjoy seeing this thread bumped.

I took Shifty's recommendation and downloaded Alastair Reynolds' House of Suns. I'll report back on it when I'm done.

Hope you like it. ;)

I'm a huge Reynolds fan and this is one of my favorites of his. He has a bit of a rep for not finishing novels well but I thought he did great with this one.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01-31-2018 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13393797)
I've never been able to get into Alistair Reynolds for some reason. I've tried, but something about his writing hasn't resonated with me.

I can see that. Some of his novels feel a little cold/dark with few likable characters. The ending of Revelation Space was shit, too. Shame because the first 3/4's are one of my favorite sci fi stories.

House of Suns is a safe bet, though. Some of his stronger writing with a good ending. His characters are a bit more likable, as well.

keg in kc 01-31-2018 08:42 PM

It's been a few years, my reaction may be different now...

Also, after thinking a bit more about it, the issue may not have been with the writing, but with the narrator. That can happen sometimes with books I listen to rather than read.

Looking back in my library I went through House of Suns and the first four revalation space novels back in 2012. And the same narrator did some other books I had issues with, a couple from Ken Follett and a couple more from Peter F. Hamilton (who along with Reynolds and the late Iain Banks formed the holy trinity of UK space opera...)

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 01-31-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 13393826)

Looking back in my library I went through House of Suns and the first four revalation space novels back in 2012. And the same narrator did some other books I had issues with, a couple from Ken Follett and a couple more from Peter F. Hamilton (who along with Reynolds and the late Iain Banks formed the holy trinity of UK space opera...)

I'm a big fan of all three. Have a problem with Hamilton's cinder blocks, though. I enjoyed Night's Dawn but I let out a huge sigh of relief when I was done. I have 200+ books on my goodreads to-read shelf. Get a little antsy spending that much time on one author. Was his Commonwealth Saga any good?

stumppy 01-31-2018 10:10 PM

Quote:

I'm almost halfway through. The pace is picking up nicely. It a pretty good read so far.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-04-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13393990)
I'm almost halfway through. The pace is picking up nicely. It a pretty good read so far.

Just finished it. I really liked it. Neat ending, too. Took me by surprise.

I realize I bitched about long series in my last post but I’ve decided to jump into Malazan. It’s been awhile since I’ve read some fantasy and I’ve heard great things about it.

duncan_idaho 02-04-2018 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13399831)
Just finished it. I really liked it. Neat ending, too. Took me by surprise.

I realize I bitched about long series in my last post but I’ve decided to jump into Malazan. It’s been awhile since I’ve read some fantasy and I’ve heard great things about it.

It's worth the effort. Eriksen's ability to bend tropes and create dynamic, interesting characters is really first-rate.

You just have to give it time to build up.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-04-2018 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13399849)
It's worth the effort. Eriksen's ability to bend tropes and create dynamic, interesting characters is really first-rate.

You just have to give it time to build up.

I’ve heard it’s difficult but I’ve read a lot of Gene Wolfe recently so I’m used to filling in blanks. I’ve been told things really pick up in books 2 and 3. I’ll make sure to get through them before I start to judge it.

duncan_idaho 02-04-2018 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13399852)
I’ve heard it’s difficult but I’ve read a lot of Gene Wolfe recently so I’m used to filling in blanks. I’ve been told things really pick up in books 2 and 3.

Yes. And then book 4 shifts gears entirely at the start. Weird change. But cool.

Indian Chief 02-05-2018 07:47 AM

If I can offer a suggestion on the Malazan series, check out the following chart. I know it's a bit crazy but even early on I have found it to be helpful and accurate.

I read Gardens of the Moon first, Deadhouse Gates next, and then discovered this flowchart. My recommendation would be to read GotM, then Night of Knives as it gives background on a few characters, and then jump into Deadhouse Gates. I'm into Memories of Ice now after having read a few of the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach short stoies. It's a really interesting way to approach a series and while daunting to look at, reading has been enjoyable so far.

https://forum.malazanempire.com/uplo...1414377387.jpg

BleedingRed 02-05-2018 08:15 AM

Can't believe no one has brought up "Old Mans War" series

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-05-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13402502)
If I can offer a suggestion on the Malazan series, check out the following chart. I know it's a bit crazy but even early on I have found it to be helpful and accurate.

I read Gardens of the Moon first, Deadhouse Gates next, and then discovered this flowchart. My recommendation would be to read GotM, then Night of Knives as it gives background on a few characters, and then jump into Deadhouse Gates. I'm into Memories of Ice now after having read a few of the Bauchelain & Korbal Broach short stoies. It's a really interesting way to approach a series and while daunting to look at, reading has been enjoyable so far.

Much appreciated. I'll keep that handy. Only a few chapters in but I'm definitely intrigued by Erikson's world.

vailpass 02-05-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13393990)

I started in on it a couple of days ago. Still in the building phase, seems to have potential once I get past the fact that spiders have always creeped me the **** out.

Mennonite 02-10-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13384387)
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky
Winner of the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award.

I'm only 15 pages in and it's got my attention.

Just finished it. Not bad at all. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

stumppy 02-10-2018 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13402925)
I started in on it a couple of days ago. Still in the building phase, seems to have potential once I get past the fact that spiders have always creeped me the **** out.

LOL, Yea. It's a pretty good read. Finishes nice. I'd give it 4/5, maybe 4.5/5.

I finished it several days ago. Now that I think about it, right after I finished it I'd say 5/5

Miles 02-10-2018 11:09 PM

For those of you that Audible I’ve really been enjoying expeditionary force series by Craig Alanson. It’s military space stuff a little like old mans war and the narration is as good as it gets. The first seems a bit meh at first until halfway though and things change a lot.

stumppy 02-11-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 13412201)
For those of you that Audible I’ve really been enjoying expeditionary force series by Craig Alanson. It’s military space stuff a little like old mans war and the narration is as good as it gets. The first seems a bit meh at first until halfway though and things change a lot.

Glad you posted this. Didn't realize Book 5 was out. Pretty good read.

vailpass 02-15-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13412163)
LOL, Yea. It's a pretty good read. Finishes nice. I'd give it 4/5, maybe 4.5/5.

I finished it several days ago. Now that I think about it, right after I finished it I'd say 5/5

I'm getting to the end; it's been a pretty good read. Author gets a little too obvious with the gender-role preaching and the deconstruction of religion but he tells a good story.

stumppy 02-15-2018 11:12 AM

Just finished 'A Gift of Time' by Jerry Merritt.
Surprisingly only 99 cents on Amazon/Kindle
Even though I'm a Doctor Who fan I don't usual do much time travel reading. I'm hoping he'll make this a series. Glad I downloaded a sample then bought it.
Real good read. I'd give it 4.5/5

NewChief 02-15-2018 08:42 PM

Starting another read of Seveneves. Still love this book.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-15-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13419446)

That’s been on my short list forever. Love Stephenson. I’ll get to it a year from now when I finish Malazan. Just finished Gardens of the Moon and I think I’m hooked.

Bowser 02-16-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 13419446)

It took a loooong time to get to the payout. The back third of that read should have been the majority of the book, imho. Still liked it, just so much technical info.....

NewChief 02-16-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13420442)
It took a loooong time to get to the payout. The back third of that read should have been the majority of the book, imho. Still liked it, just so much technical info.....

Yeah, I just love the way he writes about technical stuff. With Tom Clancy and his endless technical crap, it felt like literally reading a manual to a nuclear submarine. I often skimmed those sections of his books. Stephenson writes that kind of stuff with a fun, poetic style that keeps it interesting, imo.

But yes, I know more about the physics of a zero-G environment than I ever wanted to after the first read through.

duncan_idaho 02-16-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13419523)
That’s been on my short list forever. Love Stephenson. I’ll get to it a year from now when I finish Malazan. Just finished Gardens of the Moon and I think I’m hooked.

Shit, you're hooked from Gardens of the Moon?

You're in for a real treat.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-16-2018 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13421095)
Shit, you're hooked from Gardens of the Moon?

You're in for a real treat.

Yeah, I was surprised I liked it that much based off of what I was hearing. ROFL

Everyone was telling me to “tough it out” with GotM.

duncan_idaho 02-16-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13421504)
Yeah, I was surprised I liked it that much based off of what I was hearing. ROFL

It's a tough read, I think, in that it bounced so much and is "hard" fantasy, similar to "hard" scifi.

Bowser 02-16-2018 10:21 PM

Stephenson's best, imho, was Cryptonomicon with Reamde coming in a close second (didn't think I'd like that one at all). Seveneves was good to very good, but not his best.

patteeu 02-16-2018 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13421616)
Stephenson's best, imho, was Cryptonomicon with Reamde coming in a close second (didn't think I'd like that one at all). Seveneves was good to very good, but not his best.

I agree with Cryptonomicon. The Diamond Age was one of my favorites too, although it's been a long time since I read it.

Indian Chief 02-18-2018 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13421504)

I too enjoyed GotM. There are many other series that had tougher books to get through. (I'm looking at you Robert Jordan. :cuss:)

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-18-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13421541)
It's a tough read, I think, in that it bounced so much and is "hard" fantasy, similar to "hard" scifi.

I’m used to the bouncing around. The ending did feel just a little anticlimactic but it’s a ten-part series. Some of the magic/warrens and gods stuff was hard to follow but I found some spoiler free guides that helped along with the appendix.

Indian Chief 02-21-2018 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13423124)
I’m used to the bouncing around. The ending did feel just a little anticlimactic but it’s a ten-part series. Some of the magic/warrens and gods stuff was hard to follow but I found some spoiler free guides that helped along with the appendix.

I'm halfway through Memories of Ice (book 3) and I finally have the Gods and the warrens down pat. I think. I'm pretty sure 'Hood's balls!' is one of them.

duncan_idaho 02-21-2018 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13428102)
I'm halfway through Memories of Ice (book 3) and I finally have the Gods and the warrens down pat. I think. I'm pretty sure 'Hood's balls!' is one of them.

Sweet. Next you get to learn about Holds.

lawrenceRaider 02-22-2018 08:42 AM

Pretty decent discussion group on FB for MBOTF.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2224881237/

lawrenceRaider 02-22-2018 08:42 AM

Oh, and Steven Erikson is a MUST follow on FB.

vailpass 02-22-2018 01:30 PM

Anyone read The Underground Railway, 2017 Arthur C. Clarke award winner as Sci-Fi Book of the Year?

*sigh* Not science fiction at all.

Miles 02-23-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13430242)
Anyone read The Underground Railway, 2017 Arthur C. Clarke award winner as Sci-Fi Book of the Year?

*sigh* Not science fiction at all.

Noticed when it won it sounded like historical fiction.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-23-2018 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 13434494)
Noticed when it won it sounded like historical fiction.

People will attach “sci fi” to just about anything these days.

vailpass 02-26-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13434568)
People will attach “sci fi” to just about anything these days.

Maybe but the A.C. Clarke Award committee isn't just "people", or it didn't used to be. They carry one of the most prestigious names in sci-fi and their short list has been a reliable source of good-to-great sci-fi reading for a very long time.
It saddens me to see they've allowed their good name and standards to be lowered in a ham-handed attempt at social justice engineering.

keg in kc 02-28-2018 11:19 AM

I haven't read it, but if what I've read about it is true, that being it mixes historical fact with fantastical imagery, similar to something like Gulliver's Travels, then I don't see an issue with awarding it a genre award.

As far as whether it's pure "scifi" goes, fantasy and science fiction have been intertwined for decades now, and the trip to horror isn't very far beyond them. Science fiction, taken by itself, can basically borrow from/fall into any genre, from history to thriller to noir to western to fantasy to post-apocalyptic to far-future, etc.

Really, what difference does it make. It sounds like an amazing book.

Ragged Robin 02-28-2018 06:47 PM

Been reading The Witcher series.. pretty disappointed to learn that Yennifer is just as annoying and worthless as in the games, compounded by the fact that Geralt is obsessed with her for some reason when she's just terrible to him the whole time. Also reads like your typical fedora-tipping neckbeard writer with EVERY female wanting to bang Geralt because he's "just a good guy". The actual little story arcs about the quests he goes on are pretty well done and entertaining but anything that involves his romantic life is really bad and tiresome.. and unfortunately there's a ton of that stuff so far (I'm just only wrapping up the second book).

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-28-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ragged Robin (Post 13444295)
Been reading The Witcher series.. pretty disappointed to learn that Yennifer is just as annoying and worthless as in the games, compounded by the fact that Geralt is obsessed with her for some reason when she's just terrible to him the whole time. Also reads like your typical fedora-tipping neckbeard writer with EVERY female wanted to bang Geralt because he's "just a good guy". The actual little story arcs about the quests he goes on are pretty well done and entertaining but anything that involves his romantic life is really bad and tiresome.. and unfortunately there's a ton of that stuff so far (I'm just only wrapping up the second book).

I’m a huge fan of the games but have heard some mixed stuff on the books. Might get around to them eventually.

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. ****ing loved it. The chain of dogs and Mappo/Icarium storylines were great. I’m looking through the goodreads and amazon ratings for the rest of the series and it looks like everything is around 4.5 stars. Is the whole series really this good?

duncan_idaho 02-28-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13444477)
I’m a huge fan of the games but have heard some mixed stuff on the books. Might get around to them eventually.

Just finished Deadhouse Gates. ****ing loved it. The chain of dogs and Mappo/Icarium storylines were great. I’m looking through the goodreads and amazon ratings for the rest of the series and it looks like everything is around 4.5 stars. Is the whole series really this good?

It just keeps getting better.

Coltaine 4 lyfe

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 02-28-2018 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13444564)
It just keeps getting better.

Coltaine 4 lyfe

I need that as my handle. ROFL

Taking a break from the main series and reading Night of Knives.

Loneiguana 03-01-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13444477)

Overall yes. Finished the series a year ago and I already want to reread the whole thing again.

There might be few books that are a chore for you to get through depending on what stories you like and he will still introduce a lot of new characters (cough first few 100 pages of book 4 and most of book 5), but by book 6 you see the connections.

I think the payoff is very much worth it.

Indian Chief 03-01-2018 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13444593)
I need that as my handle. ROFL

Taking a break from the main series and reading Night of Knives.

Night of Knives was enjoyable because it really explained a few things in more detail.

I just finished Memories of Ice. I need a break. That shit was heavy.

duncan_idaho 03-02-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13446202)
Night of Knives was enjoyable because it really explained a few things in more detail.

I just finished Memories of Ice. I need a break. That shit was heavy.

Spoiler!

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-04-2018 07:26 PM

Took a reading break when the semester started getting a little hectic. Just finished House of Chains. On to Midnight Tides.

vailpass 06-04-2018 08:35 PM

Just finished the third book in the Stormlight Archives only to find out the rest haven’t been written yet. Didn’t check before I started. Rookie mistake.

Ordered Gardens of the Moon after first making sure amazon has all ten of them on the shelf.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-05-2018 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13581496)

Ordered Gardens of the Moon after first making sure amazon has all ten of them on the shelf.

Nice! I think you’ll like Erikson. Some of his fans are a little iffy on GotM, though. My understanding is that he wrote it ten years before he started the rest of the series. I loved it, personally, but at least get through Deadhouse Gates before you make a decision on Erikson.

duncan_idaho 06-05-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13582214)
Nice! I think you’ll like Erikson. Some of his fans are a little iffy on GotM, though. My understanding is that he wrote it ten years before he started the rest of the series. I loved it, personally, but at least get through Deadhouse Gates before you make a decision on Erikson.

I’m re-reading it now. Easier read with the context of everything. Gives me little nibbles of “wow” now that I recognize some of the subtle references.

I’m kicking around the idea of writing a tabletop game module (or series) based on the world (re-winding to pre-Empire days) and running some friends through it.

lawrenceRaider 06-05-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loneiguana (Post 13445476)
Overall yes. Finished the series a year ago and I already want to reread the whole thing again.

There might be few books that are a chore for you to get through depending on what stories you like and he will still introduce a lot of new characters (cough first few 100 pages of book 4 and most of book 5), but by book 6 you see the connections.

I think the payoff is very much worth it.

It is the best series of it's kind by a large margin.

lawrenceRaider 06-05-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13581496)
Just finished the third book in the Stormlight Archives only to find out the rest haven’t been written yet. Didn’t check before I started. Rookie mistake.

Sanderson is prolific enough, and still relatively young. Unless you just refuse to read anything unless it is finished, you'll be OK.

listopencil 06-05-2018 01:38 PM

I don't know if this has been mentioned but Tad Williams wrote a very enjoyable fantasy book, Tailchaser's Song, that is supposed to become an animated movie soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailchaser's_Song

Indian Chief 06-06-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13581375)
Took a reading break when the semester started getting a little hectic. Just finished House of Chains. On to Midnight Tides.

I had to take time off after Memories of Ice. I just started House of Chains. I'm through the Karsa parts and I feel like I'm finding a groove again.

duncan_idaho 06-07-2018 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13584587)
I had to take time off after Memories of Ice. I just started House of Chains. I'm through the Karsa parts and I feel like I'm finding a groove again.

You will grow to love Karsa.

Spoiler!

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 06-07-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13584587)

It started a little slow for me but it really picks up. I’ll parrot Duncan and say that you’re gonna love Karsa.

vailpass 07-02-2018 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShiftyEyedWaterboy (Post 13582214)

I finished GOTM. Good read, I like the world and character building. It seemed to try to cover a whole lot of ground and didn’t flow real smoothly. I’m guessing the first book is largely expository and the series will settle in.

The Amazon overlords delivered Deadhouse Gates today.

duncan_idaho 07-03-2018 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13613980)
I finished GOTM. Good read, I like the world and character building. It seemed to try to cover a whole lot of ground and didn’t flow real smoothly. I’m guessing the first book is largely expository and the series will settle in.

The Amazon overlords delivered Deadhouse Gates today.

I liked it a lot more on re-read. You’re in for a journey, friend. Enjoy it.

duncan_idaho 07-03-2018 05:05 PM

All right, fellow nerds...

I’m going to start writing a tabletop campaign set in the Malazan world. Goal is to build a city-based campaign around Malaz City, pre-Kellanved and Dancer.

I don’t have a regular tabletop game right now but have 2 friends who I can run this for and have them really thrive,
I think.

Questions I’d like input on:

Any suggestion on gaming system? I want to segregate the magic as seen in the real
World so D&D is a bad fit. Debating using GuRPS like Eriksen, but have no experience with it.

Thoughts on what to do re: Kellanved and Dancer? I’m torn between pretending they never made it to Malaz City and running the world as if they did (just doesn’t leave much room in Malaz City for other aspiring Ascendants).

Indian Chief 07-03-2018 09:23 PM

Have you ever played with the Savage Worlds system?

duncan_idaho 07-03-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13615105)
Have you ever played with the Savage Worlds system?

I've used it a few times. Not sure it has the structure to stand up to the complexity of the Malazan world.

vailpass 09-03-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13614301)
I liked it a lot more on re-read. You’re in for a journey, friend. Enjoy it.

Finished Dead House Gates now halfway through Memories of Ice. Erikson’s world building is strong. There is a very unique vibe to it.

The multiple story lines are engaging though he has so many going on I find myself having to think about it when it switches from one group of characters to the next. Same with the characters themselves. It’s a little like GRRM in that way except Martin’s world and stories are easier to track.

Also like Martin there are times when Erickson delves so deeply into details and character’s internal ruminations that I start to mentally glaze over.

Certainly an enjoyable read with many characters I’m coming to like. A vibrant tapestry of the wild, weird, and wonderful.

duncan_idaho 09-04-2018 06:38 AM

Science Fiction and Fantasy Books Only Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13707166)
Finished Dead House Gates now halfway through Memories of Ice. Erikson’s world building is strong. There is a very unique vibe to it.

The multiple story lines are engaging though he has so many going on I find myself having to think about it when it switches from one group of characters to the next. Same with the characters themselves. It’s a little like GRRM in that way except Martin’s world and stories are easier to track.

Also like Martin there are times when Erickson delves so deeply into details and character’s internal ruminations that I start to mentally glaze over.

Certainly an enjoyable read with many characters I’m coming to like. A vibrant tapestry of the wild, weird, and wonderful.

One of his stated goals with the series was to write something that would stand up on re-reads. Think that’s why the style is so dense.

I’m still working through a re-read. Just reached the end of Reapers Gale. Toll the Hounds is next... Eriksen’s states keystone for the series.

Side note: Memories of Ice is going to break your heart.

vailpass 09-04-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13707554)
One of his stated goals with the series was to write something that would stand up on re-reads. Think that’s why the style is so dense.

I’m still working through a re-read. Just reached the end of Reapers Gale. Toll the Hounds is next... Eriksen’s states keystone for the series.

Side note: Memories of Ice is going to break your heart.

That makes sense, definitely a candidate for re-reads.

Side note: I'd rather talk about it after I read it than hear about it before.

lawrenceRaider 09-04-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13708351)

I've read them all 3 times except for the last one, and have caught something I missed the first time in each reread. I LOVE how seemingly throw away moments in a book can be picked up in another book and expand into what would be another authors entire world.

duncan_idaho 09-05-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 13708351)

Sorry about that.

All the books break your heart a bit, I think. He’s good at weaving in those brutally real moments.

vailpass 09-05-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 13709589)
Sorry about that.

All the books break your heart a bit, I think. He’s good at weaving in those brutally real moments.

It’s all good.:thumb: I’ll catch you after I finish this one.

May you never meet a Woman of the Dead Seed.

Indian Chief 09-07-2018 11:55 PM

Finished Midnight Tides, and I'm about 100 pages into The Bonehunters. Midnight Tides was one of my favorites so far. At first I thought it was taking place far in the past, but everything I've seen says it is shortly before GotM.

duncan_idaho 09-08-2018 08:36 AM

The Bonehunters is stellar. One of my favorites.

I just dipped into Toll the Hounds again. So good. Possibly my favorite book in the series.

We might have to start a spoilers thread once Indian and vailpass are done with the main series and talk through some stuff.

I’m starting my Malazan campaign next Friday, using GURPS (which I really like). I’m basically dialing things back to before the ascension of Kellanved and Dancer and hitting the restart button for my players.

They’re both playing magic users (a mage of shadow and a priest of d’rek), so I’ll be running a few NPCs they can “bring into the famil” if they want.

Spoiler!

They’ll have the opportunity to follow a similar path to empire as Kellanved and Dancer ... or do a divergent thing.

ShiftyEyedWaterboy 09-09-2018 11:39 AM

I’m halfway through Reaper’s Gale. Loving it so far. I dig the Lether/Edur storylines. I agree with the above about Midnight Tides. My dad talked me into reading Shōgun so I’m taking a break but I’ll be back to it soon.

Indian Chief 09-09-2018 10:55 PM

I've used GURPS several times and really like its flexibility. Let us know how the campaign goes.

duncan_idaho 09-10-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13721236)
I've used GURPS several times and really like its flexibility. Let us know how the campaign goes.

I think it’s going to go well. It’s me and two other guys who really just want to play out a story.

We pared down our group considerably. Dumped the old school guy who just wanted to “win” as the DM and dumped the two immature dudes who just wanted to Terry Pratchett the shit out of things.

I’d appreciate any GURPS dm tips, though. Here or in Pm.

Fishpicker 10-22-2018 06:18 AM

this is the first D&D book that i have looked forward to in 30 years

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag.../dp/0399580948

Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History

patteeu 10-22-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishpicker (Post 13835494)
this is the first D&D book that i have looked forward to in 30 years

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Drag.../dp/0399580948

Dungeons and Dragons Art and Arcana: A Visual History

That book looks pretty cool.