ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports ***Official Bushwood Country Club Lounge*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184595)

WilliamTheIrish 06-16-2008 02:37 PM

To be that close..... and have it all slip away. That's a bitter pill.

tooge 06-16-2008 02:37 PM

"Moose, Rocco, help the judge find his wallet" Very fitting quote

ChiefsFanatic 06-16-2008 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4796420)
My favorite US Open since Payne Stewart won in 1999 at Pinehurst.

I really admire the way Rocco handled himself the past few days. He was THIS close to winning the US Open - TWICE.

He's gained at least one more fan, that's for sure.

Make that two fans:thumb:

OnTheWarpath15 06-16-2008 02:59 PM

So I go to the mailbox and what do I find?

An application for tickets to the practice rounds at the 2009 Masters. Interesting timing.

Wish me luck - I'll know in September.

ChiefsFanatic 06-16-2008 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4796462)
So I go to the mailbox and what do I find?

An application for tickets to the practice rounds at the 2009 Masters. Interesting timing.

Wish me luck - I'll know in September.

Good Luck! Have you been there before?

OnTheWarpath15 06-16-2008 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4796644)
Good Luck! Have you been there before?

Nope.

My wife's brother has been the last two years, and took my FIL this past year, just 3 months post-op from his 3rd heart bypass and a pacemaker installation.

I'm on the mailing list for good, so sooner or later, I'm bound to get tickets.

*crosses fingers*

smittysbar 06-16-2008 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4796418)
Hey KCTitus, how was that for some drama? I am happy Tiger won, but I hate that it was because Rocco hit a couple of bad shots, and not because Tiger hit great shots (although #18 was pretty damn amazing)

That ain't no shit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 4796420)
My favorite US Open since Payne Stewart won in 1999 at Pinehurst.

I really admire the way Rocco handled himself the past few days. He was THIS close to winning the US Open - TWICE.

He's gained at least one more fan, that's for sure.

Payne was the man! Rep

smittysbar 06-16-2008 05:59 PM

Tiger now ties Jack with at least 3 wins in every major.

kstater 06-16-2008 06:02 PM

Just got done watching the 18th and 7th. Have to give it up for Rocco. He played the best player in the world even for 90 holes and just came up short.

ChiefsFanatic 06-16-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4796698)
Just got done watching the 18th and 7th. Have to give it up for Rocco. He played the best player in the world even for 90 holes and just came up short.

I loved that he admitted that he was nervous and missed a couple of putts because of it. Usually other golfers just lie and say they were not nervous at all.

I will root for Rocco from now on. He is one gutsy, fun guy to watch. When he was watching Tiger's putt for birdie on the sudden death hole, and it came up just short, he was smiling and laughing just like everyone else. How can you not root for a guy like that?

smittysbar 06-16-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4796748)
I loved that he admitted that he was nervous and missed a couple of putts because of it. Usually other golfers just lie and say they were not nervous at all.

I will root for Rocco from now on. He is one gutsy, fun guy to watch. When he was watching Tiger's putt for birdie on the sudden death hole, and it came up just short, he was smiling and laughing just like everyone else. How can you not root for a guy like that?

I thought he did a great job. But I do think he is a goofball.

ChiefsFanatic 06-16-2008 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4796756)
I thought he did a great job. But I do think he is a goofball.

He is a goofball, and that is why it was so hard to root against him. I felt bad for him after he hit those two bad shots in sudden death.

But I am glad Tiger won.

kstater 06-20-2008 03:46 PM

Played 36 holes today. Shot 4 over 75 the first 18 and 86 the second 18. Previous best had been a 9 over 79 at a different course about 9 years ago. Was throwing darts at the pins and and only had 27 putts.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-20-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4803427)
Played 36 holes today. Shot 4 over 75 the first 18 and 86 the second 18. Previous best had been a 9 over 79 at a different course about 9 years ago. Was throwing darts at the pins and and only had 27 putts.

Congrats. Did you just run out of gas in the second 18, or did your swing get a little loose? I know I have a hard time keeping a consistent move even between nines.

kstater 06-20-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4803464)
Congrats. Did you just run out of gas in the second 18, or did your swing get a little loose? I know I have a hard time keeping a consistent move even between nines.

Honestly, I was happy with the 86. Yeah I got a little tired on the back the second time, but the 75 was an anomaly. I was shooting lights out that round. I average 86-90 usually.
The 75, I started bogey par birdie birdie bogey then parred the next 5 for an even 35. Back nine got nervous and bogeyed 10 and eleven, then calmed down and parred 6 in a row and then choked and doubled 18 for a 4 over 40.

ChiefsFanatic 06-20-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4803474)
Honestly, I was happy with the 86. Yeah I got a little tired on the back the second time, but the 75 was an anomaly. I was shooting lights out that round. I average 86-90 usually.
The 75, I started bogey par birdie birdie bogey then parred the next 5 for an even 35. Back nine got nervous and bogeyed 10 and eleven, then calmed down and parred 6 in a row and then choked and doubled 18 for a 4 over 40.

I played horrible today. I don't even want to post my score, but just know that out of 18 holes I only had 9 par putts (made one, on 18)

I just coiuld not draw the ball today, and could not control the fade I was having. I usually draw the ball, and I could not figure out what I was doing to fade it. It was between 3ft and 10ft of fade each time.

kstater 06-20-2008 05:10 PM

Maybe look at your grip? Maybe you weren't getting your top hand over all the way? I know when I start letting it leak to the right too much, that's the first thing I look at.

bogey 06-20-2008 06:05 PM

I had no idea this thread could be used to help my swing. I very excited I found it.

007 06-20-2008 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4803547)
Maybe look at your grip? Maybe you weren't getting your top hand over all the way? I know when I start letting it leak to the right too much, that's the first thing I look at.

How far over? My shots always go right.

kstater 06-20-2008 06:48 PM

Too lazy to save and attach.

http://www.golf-swing-instruction-ti...olf_grip_6.jpg

That's what I use, when I start to push it, I find that my hand is more to the side.

Mr. Plow 06-20-2008 08:41 PM

Oh man, what a week. I played Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, and going to play Sunday this week.

Tuesday - 9 holes / 36 par - Played decent, just couldn't get it all together. Hit good off the tee.....crappy on the approach. Crappy off the tee......bad approach. Good tee shot.....good approach.....couldn't putt a 3 foot putt. Shot a 48. Not overly bad for me. New membership.....new course.

Wednesday - 9 holes / 36 par - 2 man scramble....Played well. Ended 2 over par. Strong chips. Not much from the tee box, but friend was hitting well from there. Hit a random 3 wood to 5 foot under one tree over another, so that makes it all good.

Friday - 18 holes / 71 par (I think) - played damn good today. Shot a 91. I know that doesn't sound too good but I lost 12-15 strokes on 4 damn holes. I had birdie or par putts on almost every hole but I couldn't convert. Lots a of pars with a couple birdies. I'm reading a book on chipping/pitching and it has help me a TON!

Sunday - have the city match tournament to qualify for. Much easier course. I was a member there for 5 years. One of those, "you can play it just about anywhere you hit it courses" - last year, I was shooting anywhere from 5-10 over. Looking forward to Sunday, but man I'm worn out tonight.

smittysbar 06-21-2008 11:22 AM

Shot 79, 80, 74 this week. Have no tournament this weekend, feels kinda nice.....but have a wedding in a bit.

Guru, you say you slice the ball, how long have you been playing and about what kind of scores do you shoot? If you have always had a slice you are most likely coming across the ball (out to in) with your club head. When you come across the ball it puts a severe side spin on it creating the slice. Try tucking your right elbow to your side creating an in to out swing path. You can even use a towel and put it in your arm pit and hit some shots, make sure it doesn't fall out. This should be a good start for you.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 07:56 PM

Here is a shag range I made in my back yard. I have tee's set up at 100, 150, and 200 yards.

from 100 yards
http://inlinethumb27.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

150 yards

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/17...600x600Q85.jpg

200 yards

http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/11...600x600Q85.jpg

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:06 PM

Here is a golf cart I picked up for $200 the other day. The guy said he couldn't get it running. I took it home and put gas in it, lol.

I used to customize carts but am in between projects, this was right up my ally.

http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/40...600x600Q85.jpg

A quick peek in my bag right now.

King Cobra LD/F Grafaloy Blue extra stiff
Titleist 904 5wd
King Cobra Baffler hybrid 20*
Callaway Fusion 3-pw
Titleist Vokey spin mill 56* and 60* oil can
Scotty Cameron Detour putter
Skycaddie SG4

http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/43...600x600Q85.jpg

Mr. Plow 06-22-2008 08:09 PM

smitty, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

CoMoChief 06-22-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4804390)
Shot 79, 80, 74 this week.

you are so full of shit.

BWillie 06-22-2008 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4806188)
Here is a shag range I made in my back yard. I have tee's set up at 100, 150, and 200 yards.

Nice! Do you upkeep the green so the ball re-acts similar to regular greens? If I had enough room in my yard I'd love to do something like that. I really need to get back into golf. I shot 85 my first time out this year. Shanked 4 chips and had about a billion putts. I've always been a good ball striking and I've been able to get chipping down back when I played alot. I could NEVER putt though. It's impossible. I've tried everything except a belly putter

Dartgod 06-22-2008 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4806224)
I shot 85 my first time out this year. Shanked 4 chips and had about a billion putts.

Shouldn't your score have been more like a billion and 85?

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4806217)
smitty, if you don't mind me asking, how old are you?

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4806218)
you are so full of shit.

you wish LMAO

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4806224)
Nice! Do you upkeep the green so the ball re-acts similar to regular greens? If I had enough room in my yard I'd love to do something like that. I really need to get back into golf. I shot 85 my first time out this year. Shanked 4 chips and had about a billion putts. I've always been a good ball striking and I've been able to get chipping down back when I played alot. I could NEVER putt though. It's impossible. I've tried everything except a belly putter

No the green is just mowed down tight, but the ground is pretty rough.

I HATE SHANKING!!!!!

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4806218)
you are so full of shit.

Hey, did Ryan ever upload that video of me teeing off of the beer can to you tube?

Dartgod 06-22-2008 08:29 PM

I forgot this thread was here, so I'll quote your post in my driver advice thread.

Can you explain what you mean about the shaft? I've been playing for quite a few years, but am just a hacker, so I don't keep up with club technology. The club I'm looking to buy comes in either regular or stiff shaft. Nothing about what you mentioned was indicated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4805510)
But the shaft on the other hand is very important. Sounds as if you are getting plenty of height, I would go with a low kick point, low torque shaft. Shafts IMO are the most important thing to fit yourself to than anything else.

If you guys enjoy golf and discussing rounds and swings, we have a thread on it.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showt...184595&page=13

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:36 PM

Every shaft has a kick point. The lower the kick point the higher the ball flight. High or mid kick point will usually result in a lower launch. The lower the Torque # in a shaft, is most likely the higher the price. Less twisting of the club head.

A good thing to do is go somewhere and get fitted, you don't have to buy from them but a good pro could tell you what shaft would fit you the best.

Skip Towne 06-22-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4806267)
I forgot this thread was here, so I'll quote your post in my driver advice thread.

Can you explain what you mean about the shaft? I've been playing for quite a few years, but am just a hacker, so I don't keep up with club technology. The club I'm looking to buy comes in either regular or stiff shaft. Nothing about what you mentioned was indicated.

If you need a stiff shaft but swing a regular, the ball will push and slice. The reason is the shaft will flex and your hands get ahead of the ball leaving the club face open at impact.

Dartgod 06-22-2008 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4806299)
If you need a stiff shaft but swing a regular, the ball will push and slice. The reason is the shaft will flex and your hands get ahead of the ball leaving the club face open at impact.

That I understand. I wasn't sure what kick point a torque were all about.

BWillie 06-22-2008 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4806299)

I read somewhere though that 95% of people have a shaft that is too stiff. Not sure how much truth there is for that. Some PGA Pro told me that because I didn't like graphite irons.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 08:55 PM

From Tom Wishon
A. The term "torque" is taken to mean the shaft's designed resistance to twisting during the downswing. The torque value is expressed in degrees, so the lower the degrees of torque, the more resistance the shaft will have to being twisted from the force of the downswing on the clubhead attached to that shaft. The higher the degrees of torque, the less resistance the shaft will have to being twisted by the mass of the clubhead on the downswing.

In steel shafts, because the type of steel material is the same throughout the entire shaft, the torque exists in a very narrow range of degrees, one that is much more narrow than in graphite shafts.

Graphite shafts can be and often are made with a wide variety of different graphite fiber strength, stiffness and position on the shaft. This allows the torque in graphite shafts to range from as high as 7 or 8 degrees to as low as 1 degree, while in steel this range is only from a little more than 2 degrees to a little under 4 degrees. <SCRIPT>zSB(3,3)</SCRIPT>
Therefore, torque is not a factor to worry about in the selection of a steel shaft, but it is a point to keep in mind for some golfers when selecting a graphite shaft.

Fortunately, the fitting ramifications of torque even in graphite shafts is not that severe. Simply stated, it means that if you are a big strong, powerful person with an aggressive swing tempo and a late release, you never want the torque in a graphite shaft to be any higher than 4 to 4.5 degrees. Otherwise, your strength and downswing force may cause the clubhead to twist the shaft, causing the clubface to be more open at impact, and resulting in a shot that hangs or fades to the right of your target.

Conversely, if you have a very smooth, rhythmic swing without a very aggressive downswing move, you do not want to use graphite shafts with the torque below 3.5 degrees or else the impact feel of the shot can be stiff, harsh and unsolid, and the height of the shot may be too low. So for most golfers, as long the torque of a graphite shaft is between 3.5 and 5.5 degrees - which is the case for the vast majority of graphite shafts today - the golfer will be OK and torque will never be a factor to worry about in the shaft fitting.

Skip Towne 06-22-2008 09:00 PM

Heh, I had a set of clubs that had a "reverse twist" built into the shaft for "anti torque". I think they were McGregor's.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 09:08 PM

As club head size has increased so has the need for low torque shafts, these heads on the new drivers are mammoth. Mine looks like a frying pan.

Skip Towne 06-22-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4806358)
As club head size has increased so has the need for low torque shafts, these heads on the new drivers are mammoth. Mine looks like a frying pan.

Herzig's sounds like a shotgun going off.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 09:10 PM

yeah mine is loud as hell too.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 09:31 PM

Shaft Flex and Bend Point
Every shaft has a Flex Rating (usually L, R, S, XS) and a bend point (Low, Mid and High). (Bend point, by the way, is also called kickpoint.) The unfortunate thing is that there is no industry standard for shaft flex - one manufacturer's Regular Flex shaft may be firmer or weaker than another manufacturer's. These differences will produce shafts that, even though they have the same Flex Rating, will play differently.
One difference will be in Swing Speed Ratings. One 'R' flex shaft might be rated for 65 to 75 mph while another is rated for 75-85 mph. Bend point determine the ball's trajectory so the golfer has to decide what type of ball flight he wants.

HOW TO CHOOSE: My experience as a club builder is that most golfers play with clubs that are too stiff. As noted above, you should determine what your swing speed is and choose your new shaft flex accordingly. (Note: The effect of torque on shaft flex is discussed on the following page.)
If you find your ball flight is too low or too high, then choosing a shaft with the right bend point can help. If you want to hit the ball on a lower trajectory, choose a bend point of High. For a higher trajectory, choose a bend point of Low. For something in between, go with Mid rating for bend point.

<TABLE class=st cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY class=st><TR><TH class=stc colSpan=3>Shaft Flex Selection Chart</TH></TR><TR><TD class=rhb>Carry Distance</TD><TD class=rhb>Swing Speed</TD><TD class=rhb>Flex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Under 180 yards</TD><TD>Under 75 mph</TD><TD>Ladies</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>180 to 200 yards</TD><TD>75 to 90 mph</TD><TD>Amatuer / Senior</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>200 to 240 yards</TD><TD>90 to 100 mph</TD><TD>Regular</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>240 o 275 yards</TD><TD>100 to 110 mph</TD><TD>Stiff</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Over 275 yards</TD><TD>Over 110 mph</TD><TD>Tour (extra) Stiff</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Herzig 06-22-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4806364)
Herzig's sounds like a shotgun going off.

Yeah, that Cobra was sold to one of my Groomsmen a couple of years ago. It was LOUD. But that was when the big driver heads became popular. My PING G10 is nowhere near as loud.

smittysbar 06-22-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzig (Post 4806493)
Yeah, that Cobra was sold to one of my Groomsmen a couple of years ago. It was LOUD. But that was when the big driver heads became popular. My PING G10 is nowhere near as loud.

This LD F is this years model and they dampened down the sound a great deal from previous models.

Mr. Plow 06-23-2008 10:26 AM

Qualified yesterday for my match play tourney this weekend. Wasn't driving the ball well or hitting my long irons/3 wood very well which left me in some bad spots. I had 2 par 3's that I hit a long iron on that I ended up being so close to tree's or no shot at the green that I actually had to chip BACKWARDS to the fairway, then onto the green.

Hit a couple out of bounds. Lost one. For a course that I usually shoot 80-85 on, I ended up with a damn 93. But, it wasn't all bad. My chipping saved me a lot. I continually put the ball with in 5 feet from being 1-30 yards off the green. Which made me save a bogey rather than two putting for a double.

But, as I learned last year in the match play tourney, you can shoot a high round in qualifying and then win a couple matches. Plus, it's just a lot of fun.

Skip Towne 06-23-2008 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 4807041)
Qualified yesterday for my match play tourney this weekend. Wasn't driving the ball well or hitting my long irons/3 wood very well which left me in some bad spots. I had 2 par 3's that I hit a long iron on that I ended up being so close to tree's or no shot at the green that I actually had to chip BACKWARDS to the fairway, then onto the green.

Hit a couple out of bounds. Lost one. For a course that I usually shoot 80-85 on, I ended up with a damn 93. But, it wasn't all bad. My chipping saved me a lot. I continually put the ball with in 5 feet from being 1-30 yards off the green. Which made me save a bogey rather than two putting for a double.

But, as I learned last year in the match play tourney, you can shoot a high round in qualifying and then win a couple matches. Plus, it's just a lot of fun.

Sounds like sandbagging to me.

Mr. Plow 06-23-2008 10:41 AM

I'm not of any concern to anyone. The top player I believe shot a 2-3 under.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-23-2008 04:24 PM

Re: Shaft Flex--

Cycles/min is the best way to determine shaft flex across manufacturers, but can be a hard number to get hold of. The higher the number, the stiffer the shaft.

As a rule of thumb, Graffaloy, Fuji, TT, and UST shafts play stiffer than their rating, Aldilas and Pings play a little softer, and Rifles are usually right on.

Don't be afraid to mix and match from woods to irons, either. I prefer softer shafts in my woods and stiffer shafts in irons. I get more distance from a whippier shaft and more control from the stiff shaft for the approach shots.

My SS is anywhere from 105-112 depending on my back, and I actually prefer regular flex shafts in my woods, even though I have a quicker tempo to my swing.

Skip Towne 06-23-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4807637)

Cycles/min is the best way to determine shaft flex across manufacturers, but can be a hard number to get hold of. The higher the number, the stiffer the shaft.

As a rule of thumb, Graffaloy, Fuji, TT, and UST shafts play stiffer than their rating, Aldilas and Pings play a little softer, and Rifles are usually right on.

Don't be afraid to mix and match from woods to irons, either. I prefer softer shafts in my woods and stiffer shafts in irons. I get more distance from a whippier shaft and more control from the stiff shaft for the approach shots.

My SS is anywhere from 105-112 depending on my back, and I actually prefer regular flex shafts in my woods, even though I have a quicker tempo to my swing.

How did you determine your swing speed?

Mr. Plow 06-24-2008 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4807789)

Get a cop out there with his radar gun. All you need to do is drive really fast and one will stop you to help you out.

smittysbar 06-24-2008 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4807789)

This is by no means exact but should get you somewhat close.
Go to a good store they can probably help ya out.

<TABLE class=st cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY class=st><TR><TH class=stc colSpan=3>Shaft Flex Selection Chart</TH></TR><TR><TD class=rhb>Carry Distance</TD><TD class=rhb>Swing Speed</TD><TD class=rhb>Flex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Under 180 yards</TD><TD>Under 75 mph</TD><TD>Ladies</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>180 to 200 yards</TD><TD>75 to 90 mph</TD><TD>Amatuer / Senior</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>200 to 240 yards</TD><TD>90 to 100 mph</TD><TD>Regular</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>240 o 275 yards</TD><TD>100 to 110 mph</TD><TD>Stiff</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Over 275 yards</TD><TD>Over 110 mph</TD><TD>Tour (extra) Stiff</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

CoMoChief 06-24-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4809958)

<TABLE class=st cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=2 align=center><TBODY class=st><TR><TH class=stc colSpan=3>Shaft Flex Selection Chart</TH></TR><TR><TD class=rhb>Carry Distance</TD><TD class=rhb>Swing Speed</TD><TD class=rhb>Flex</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Under 180 yards</TD><TD>Under 75 mph</TD><TD>Ladies</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>180 to 200 yards</TD><TD>75 to 90 mph</TD><TD>Amatuer / Senior</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>200 to 240 yards</TD><TD>90 to 100 mph</TD><TD>Regular</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>240 o 275 yards</TD><TD>100 to 110 mph</TD><TD>Stiff</TD></TR><TR><TD class=rh>Over 275 yards</TD><TD>Over 110 mph</TD><TD>Tour (extra) Stiff</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You swing like a little bitch. You need all the help you can get.

kstater 06-24-2008 04:36 PM

OK, so after a 75,86 last Friday, I couldn't drive, hit my irons, chip, or putt yesterday while posting a 95. :grr:

smittysbar 06-24-2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4810005)
You swing like a little bitch. You need all the help you can get.

LOL
No one swings like you.........MU..........KU..........Hmmmm......MU............KU

:LOL:

smittysbar 06-24-2008 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4810008)
OK, so after a 75,86 last Friday, I couldn't drive, hit my irons, chip, or putt yesterday while posting a 95. :grr:

Ouch

bogey 06-24-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4809958)

So, I'm 200 to 240. When I go to a golf shop, they always say regular shaft. They're not BSing me? I always thought that was their stock answer.

smittysbar 06-24-2008 08:34 PM

Sounds like they are pretty spot on. Though some of these Club heads are getting so BIG that they are making a lot of these shaft lag behind a bit. If you have a smooth swing at the bottom you should be fine.

Miles 06-25-2008 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4807637)

Kind of surprising that R flex works for your woods with your swing speed since you are pushing into X range but as with any equipment it's largely preference and what works for you.

Miles 06-25-2008 04:10 AM

Just curious if anyone is using 4 wedges and how that is working out. I carried the traditional driver, 3W, 2-PW, SW, LW for quite while but have been making some changes this week. Just picked up a long overdue 52* wedged to fill the 40 yd gap between my PW and SW and will likely drop my 2 and 3 iron for a hybrid.

Miles 06-25-2008 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 4806322)
I read somewhere though that 95% of people have a shaft that is too stiff. Not sure how much truth there is for that. Some PGA Pro told me that because I didn't like graphite irons.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that were roughly true. I think the understanding may be better these days but it just seems that many are using stiff when they don't have the swing speed or think that an x flex makes them seem more like a player.

Mr. Plow 06-25-2008 08:34 AM

I carry 3-PW - AW - 60 degree. I'd like to add in a traditional SW, but have never gotten around to getting one.

I hit my PW around 120 - I can get it 130 if I swing hard, but I prefer not to because I start missing left or right.

AW I can hit around 100 & my 60 degree I can get to about 75 or so.

Amazingly enough, I can get my 3/4 irons to about 120 as well. fucking 3/4 iron.

smittysbar 06-25-2008 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4810929)
Just curious if anyone is using 4 wedges and how that is working out. I carried the traditional driver, 3W, 2-PW, SW, LW for quite while but have been making some changes this week. Just picked up a long overdue 52* wedged to fill the 40 yd gap between my PW and SW and will likely drop my 2 and 3 iron for a hybrid.

I used to carry PW, 52, 56, and 60. Sold those wedges and now have 56 and 60, but need a 52 to fill the gap.

OnTheWarpath15 06-25-2008 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4810929)

I was playing 4 wedges, and have since downsized to 3.

I was carrying a PW at 48* loft, then a 52, 56 and 60.

Now I'm carrying the PW, a Vokey spin-milled 54 (10 bounce) and a Vokey spin-milled 60. (4 bounce)

Works MUCH better for me.

I've got my distances down pat for a 7:30 swing, a 9:00 swing and a 10:30 swing. (Dave Pelz Short Game Bible)

kstater 06-25-2008 03:20 PM

I carry 4. PW SW 56 and 64.

I also don't play in tournaments and carry like 17 clubs though.

Lono 06-25-2008 03:56 PM

Not to get off topic here but, played in a tournament this weekend and was standing warming up to tee off on the first hole. A long par 3 was right next to the hole i was on when the 2nd guy to tee off hit a hole in one to win a brand new car. Dont remember the type but it was sweet looking and decked out. The dude wouldn't let there be any press on it either. I thought that was kinda shitty. Hey thanks you just donated a new car for me to win but there is no way im letting you get any press on it. I thought that was a real nice way to say thanks. Other than that the tourney was shitty, worst I may have ever played. Was just one of those days where everything goes wrong.

smittysbar 06-26-2008 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lono (Post 4812133)
Not to get off topic here but, played in a tournament this weekend and was standing warming up to tee off on the first hole. A long par 3 was right next to the hole i was on when the 2nd guy to tee off hit a hole in one to win a brand new car. Dont remember the type but it was sweet looking and decked out. The dude wouldn't let there be any press on it either. I thought that was kinda shitty. Hey thanks you just donated a new car for me to win but there is no way im letting you get any press on it. I thought that was a real nice way to say thanks. Other than that the tourney was shitty, worst I may have ever played. Was just one of those days where everything goes wrong.

Thats awesome.

Still have never hit a hole-in-one :mad:

smittysbar 07-07-2008 09:33 AM

Can't decide whether to play today or do some stuff that needs to get done. I have a tournament this weekend and didn't play a lick over the 4th weekend, need the practice.....okay talked myself into it.

Mr. Plow 07-07-2008 09:54 AM

Played last Monday in 4 man scramble. We played pretty well. Finished -2. 3rd place in 2nd tier. Shot a 68. Winner of the 1st tier shot a 58......and they complained that they "left some birdies out there".

Played last Thursday. Not well. Only played 9 and shot a damn 48.

Played last Friday morning. Did not play well at all. Somehow worse than the night before....but score didn't show it. I had a 10 on one hole. Long par 5. Off the tee....into a tree.....out of bounds. Off the tee again.....into the water. So I'm still 300 yards out hitting 5.....and it didn't improve on the hole.

I'm going to try to play Tuesday if I have time. Going to Disney World on Thursday, so I may not.

Smitty......look at it this way:

Work.........OR............Golf

Hmmmmm.......not a tough decision......:p

Dartgod 07-07-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4804582)
I'm looking for a new driver and was out shopping today. I hit the TaylorMade Burner Draw driver, 9.5 loft with the regular shaft. I was hitting long, but kept pushing everything right. So I tried a regular Burner driver with a stiff shaft and was hitting long and pretty straight with just a little, but very manageable fade.

The problem is, the regular Burner driver is $299, a little out of my price range. The Draw driver is $199, but they didn't have one with the stiff shaft for me to demo.

Has anyone had any experience with these clubs? Since I was only hitting a slight fade with the regular club, is the draw driver with the proper shaft going to cause problems? Or is there a comparable club to the TaylorMade that you would recommend?

See the links below for the two clubs I am referencing.

Taylormade Burner:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2614370

TaylorMade Burner Draw:
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...ductId=2862798

I ended up getting the club I tested at Golf Discount. They were having a sale, $100 off the TaylorMade Burner. I got the one with the UST stiff shaft, rather than the Fuji-somethingorother RE-AX shaft. Excellent deal.

I played 18 yesterday and not too bad. I was struggling a bit off the tee. Not too bad, but not booming my drives like I did at the range. I did hit one nice one on a 499 yard par 5. I hit it to the 150 marker. Now, I don't believe for a second that the yardage was correct and that I hit a 350 yard drive. But I do believe I hit it every bit of 300 yards. Of course, it took me 5 more strokes to go that last 150 yards and I bogied the hole. :banghead:

I ended up with a 102 (with 3 or 4 penalty strokes for lost balls), which is pretty good for me considering this was only my second time out this year and the third time in the last two years.

smittysbar 07-07-2008 10:07 AM

Bad day of golf is better than a great day at work

Mr. Plow 07-07-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4832052)
Bad day of golf is better than a great day at work

Exactly.

smittysbar 07-07-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4832050)
I ended up getting the club I tested at Golf Discount. They were having a sale, $100 off the TaylorMade Burner. Excellent deal.

I played 18 yesterday and not too bad. I was struggling a bit off the tee. Not too bad, but not booming my drives like I did at the range. I did hit one nice one on a 499 yard par 5. I hit it to the 150 marker. Now, I don't believe for a second that the yardage was correct and that I hit a 350 yard drive. But I do believe I hit it every bit of 300 yards. Of course, it took me 5 more strokes to go that last 150 yards and I bogied the hole. :banghead:

I ended up with a 102 (with 3 or 4 penalty strokes for lost balls), which is pretty good for me considering this was only my second time out this year and the third time in the last two years.

I take it you are going to try and get out more to play, with the new addition in your bag. :thumb:

Dartgod 07-07-2008 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4832059)
I take it you are going to try and get out more to play, with the new addition in your bag. :thumb:

Definitely. My wife is hooked more than I am. She has always struggled at golf, which is surprising, because she is quite athletic. She has always had a problem getting the ball in the air. Everything about her swing looks good except that 95% of her shots are worm-burners, no matter if she is hitting driver or 9 iron.

Anyway, we were at the range Saturday and she started off again hitting low shots. I had her move a little closer to the ball and it was like a switch went off! She was actually driving the ball with her driver and her lofted clubs were getting up in the air. I can't believe that something as simple as that fixed her problem.

So we went out and played yesterday and she was able to carry what she did on the range out on to the course. She shot 60/55 for a 115, by far the best I have ever seen her play. She had gotten pretty discouraged with the game and hadn't played for 3+ years. Now she can't wait to get back out again.

RNR 07-07-2008 10:21 AM

Mark Twain defined golf as “A good walk spoiled.”
I agree :p

smittysbar 07-07-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4832077)
Definitely. My wife is hooked more than I am. She has always struggled at golf, which is surprising, because she is quite athletic. She has always had a problem getting the ball in the air. Everything about her swing looks good except that 95% of her shots are worm-burners, no matter if she is hitting driver or 9 iron.

Anyway, we were at the range Saturday and she started off again hitting low shots. I had her move a little closer to the ball and it was like a switch went off! She was actually driving the ball with her driver and her lofted clubs were getting up in the air. I can't believe that something as simple as that fixed her problem.

So we went out and played yesterday and she was able to carry what she did on the range out on to the course. She shot 60/55 for a 115, by far the best I have ever seen her play. She had gotten pretty discouraged with the game and hadn't played for 3+ years. Now she can't wait to get back out again.

Good shots are addictive. A few good shots will have a person pumped to get out and play again, truly is a great game.

Well I better get ready if I want to make the noon game, will report back later if I should have went to work instead.

smittysbar 07-07-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeckRaider (Post 4832080)
Mark Twain defined golf as “A good walk spoiled.”

And my father used to say, "Raider fans are ****ing idiots"

RNR 07-07-2008 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4832098)

LMAO eat shit! talk about putting one on the tee for you!

Dartgod 07-07-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittysbar (Post 4832098)

Awwww, RNR is not an idiot. A bit misguided perhaps, but he's one of the good 'uns.

smittysbar 07-07-2008 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4832104)
Awwww, RNR is not an idiot. A bit misguided perhaps, but he's one of the good 'uns.

I know, but he served it up so good, I had to:evil: