ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

POND_OF_RED 07-27-2008 12:31 AM

Saw Step Brothers tonight. It had it's funny moments but I wouldn't suggest paying movie theatre prices for it.

KcMizzou 07-27-2008 12:43 AM

Keaton and Nicholson kicked ass... when I was 15.

Bale and Ledger kick ass when I'm 34.

There's plenty of love for both versions.

Geeks grow up... even the ones who make movies.

the Talking Can 07-27-2008 10:49 PM

just watched Zodiac

such a well made film, damn.....the pacing and tone are perfect, it's epic in duration yet never once feels rushed....everything happens in its own due time

Batman's one weakness is that it feels rushed at the end, the whole two-face episode occurs too fast to really have an emotional impact...Zodiac, in that regard, is flawless...

how did that not win best film? that puts a lot of pretentious movies to shame...

I also watched Zombie Strippers, which has the rare treats of Jenna Jamison quoting Nietzsche, and a zombie Jenna Jamison shooting pool balls out of her vag...yeah.....for real...

KcMizzou 07-29-2008 12:19 AM

The Wackness is really good. Kinda sad, actually... I didn't expect that.

See it, if you get a chance.

Ceej 07-29-2008 01:15 AM

I loved Stepbrothers. However, I enjoy 80% of "those" kind of movies and Ferrell's movies.

Fire Me Boy! 07-29-2008 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4869370)
HD and a big screen aren't always for the best.
I am now apprised that Groucho's trademark mustache and eyebrows are pure greasepaint, having seen Duck Soup in HD.

ROFL ROFL

Deberg_1990 07-29-2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 4873570)
just watched Zodiac

such a well made film, damn.....the pacing and tone are perfect, it's epic in duration yet never once feels rushed....everything happens in its own due time

Glad you liked it. Its probably in my top 3 films of last year and sadly was overlooked at Oscar time.

the Talking Can 07-29-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4876114)

good to hear....I'm on a movie kick lately since cutting cable...almost watched it last night....settled for Balls of Fury...heh, not the wisest choice...

irishjayhawk 07-29-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4876114)

Where did you see it?

kcxiv 07-30-2008 03:53 AM

Anyone seen Idiocrisy? Its kinda stupid, but its worth a watch imo. lol

irishjayhawk 07-31-2008 10:21 PM

I watched "Go". Pretty good, though kinda short. I liked what it was going for and most of the actors in it. Just a little short or truncated, I can't figure out which.

Fire Me Boy! 08-01-2008 06:47 AM

Watched Charlie Wilson's War last night. Good flick. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in that.

Also saw Meet Bill, another good one.

Have in the queue for the weekend Lions for Lambs and Hard Candy.

ChiefsFan4Life 08-01-2008 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4883007)
Hard Candy.

Don't waste your time - it was lame

Fire Me Boy! 08-01-2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4883018)

Well, I already paid for it. Might as well watch it.

irishjayhawk 08-01-2008 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4883007)
Watched Charlie Wilson's War last night. Good flick. Philip Seymour Hoffman is great in that.

Also saw Meet Bill, another good one.

Have in the queue for the weekend Lions for Lambs and Hard Candy.

Meet Bill is a good one even though it went straight to DVD?

Fire Me Boy! 08-01-2008 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4883128)
Meet Bill is a good one even though it went straight to DVD?

It was enjoyable. Not great. Not exactly art, but enjoyable. I like Aaron Eckhart, so that helps.

irishjayhawk 08-01-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4883140)
It was enjoyable. Not great. Not exactly art, but enjoyable. I like Aaron Eckhart, so that helps.

Thank You for Smoking, ftw.

Fire Me Boy! 08-01-2008 10:02 AM

Wow. 12% at RottenTomatoes.

I agree with this review:

Quote:

Bill casts Aaron Eckhart as the title character, a bank executive who's thrust into a mid-life crisis after he learns that his wife (Elizabeth Banks' Jess) is having an affair with a smarmy newsman (Timothy Olyphant). There's little doubt that Bill's mild success is due almost entirely to Eckhart's expectedly ingratiating and flat-out engrossing performance, as the actor does a fantastic job of turning Bill into a sympathetic figure one can't help but root for. The increasingly silly machinations of the film's screenplay lends the proceedings a forgettable vibe that's certainly lamentable, and there's ultimately little doubt that scripter Melisa Wallack (who co-directs with Bernie Goldmann) simply ran out of things for Bill to do (how else to explain such needless sequences as one in which the character gets stoned in a department store?) The lack of a consistent tone is exacerbated by a flabby third act that just seems to go on and on, with the end result a movie that's basically entertaining yet entirely forgettable.

Fire Me Boy! 08-01-2008 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4883191)
Thank You for Smoking, ftw.

Absolutely. I have a great little extra that came when I got this movie - it's a little 3-inch baby doll with a pack of cigarettes. And the cigs are lightable - they're basically incense wrapped in white paper. So you can stick a cig in the baby's mouth and light it!

ROFL

DaKCMan AP 08-01-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4882838)
I watched "Go". Pretty good, though kinda short. I liked what it was going for and most of the actors in it. Just a little short or truncated, I can't figure out which.

Heh. I saw that when I was 14 or 15. In the movie theater. With my grandparents. AWKWARD!!

Sure-Oz 08-01-2008 12:01 PM

Saw 10,000 bc, had to shut it off half way through it was pretty boring....

Bank Job was a pretty decent flick.

Sure-Oz 08-01-2008 12:02 PM

Anyone see harold and kumar 2, is that worth seeing?

I liked the 1st one

QuikSsurfer 08-01-2008 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4883474)

I bought it when it was on Demand... We probably shut it off around the same time you did.

Harold and Kumar 2 had a few good laughs. Def worth a rental

Sure-Oz 08-01-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 4883478)
I bought it when it was on Demand... We probably shut it off around the same time you did.

Harold and Kumar 2 had a few good laughs. Def worth a rental

Good to hear, i loved the crude and really stupid humor from the 1st one.

10k bc looked good in bluray but that couldnt save it. Im suprised i lasted that long honestly

Simply Red 08-01-2008 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4883485)
Good to hear, i loved the crude and really stupid humor from the 1st one.

10k bc looked good in bluray but that couldnt save it. Im suprised i lasted that long honestly

The first one is still better though. IMO

mikeyis4dcats. 08-01-2008 05:13 PM

Chalk me up as another who made it through about an hour of 10000BC. Had I not been surfing the web, I probably wouldn't have made it that far.

patteeu 08-01-2008 06:27 PM

I watched 10K BC all the way through. I didn't like it much, but I'd already heard how horrible it was so my expectations were very low. It wasn't the worst movie I've ever watched from beginning to end, but I can't recommend it to anyone.

irishjayhawk 08-02-2008 12:39 AM

Just watched Clockwork Orange. I loved most of it but thought the last 1/4 dragged its feet. And the ending seemed flat. Fitting but flat. Predictable but flat.

That said, some of the scenes and editing was amazing. I love Kubrick's feel. The 9th Symphony intercuts with Jesus was awesome.

Nzoner 08-02-2008 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 4846546)

Then Sunday on cable I caught "Eastern Promises" and "Crank", I was a little disappointed with the first one. It was totally character driven because the story was very weak, I was surprised it had so many good reviews. Both Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts made it worth watching.

I just finished Eastern Promises and thoroughly enjoyed it but then again I like pretty much anything that has to do with the mob,no matter what country.I thought the acting was great and the story good as well.Granted,it wasn't your normal mob story but the topic of human trafficking is one that I don't recall seeing much if at all.

The bonus features on the DVD were interesting as well as they did a segment on the tattoos worn by the mobsters and Cronenberg was also saying how Viggo Mortensen was such a perfectionist that he had traveled to Russia and literally hung with some guys like his character and based on some Russians seeing his performance had nailed the walk,mannerisms and accent.

I actually bought the film at Hastings for like $6 and damn glad I have it as part of my collection now.

JuicesFlowing 08-02-2008 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4883474)

10,000 BC was absolutely horrid. The fact that they spoke good English made me laugh 40 seconds into the film. Don't insult my intelligence, I can read subtitles. Hell, make up a language if you have to. ... I hated that movie.

Nzoner 08-02-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Focked up yes,made me squirm,yes but lame,I sure didn't think so.

KcMizzou 08-02-2008 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuicesFlowing (Post 4886713)
10,000 BC was absolutely horrid. The fact that they spoke good English made me laugh 40 seconds into the film. Don't insult my intelligence, I can read subtitles. Hell, make up a language if you have to. ... I hated that movie.

Yeah, 10,000 BC sucked balls.

Fire Me Boy! 08-02-2008 09:53 PM

Quote:

Gotta disagree. Not lame. Not great, but a real interesting character study. Who do you root for? The pedophile who is the subject of vigilante justice; the girl who CLEARLY has issues of her own? At times, you feel yourself wanting the chick to lay off - why? Why are you rooting for the pedo? At times you root for the girl, who is certifiably nuts and gone off the deep end. Why are you rooting for her?

It's a twist on the predator/prey tale, and fairly well executed. I thought Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson both portrayed their characters very well.

Sure-Oz 08-02-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 4884163)
The first one is still better though. IMO

agreed as well...

ordered it on demand since i had a free coupon. watched the unrated version...

It was over the top and they tried way too hard on alot of the jokes...it gave me a few laughs but not worth owning like the 1st one.
And yes 10k bc is one of the worst movies ever

KcMizzou 08-02-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4886849)
agreed as well...

ordered it on demand since i had a free coupon. watched the unrated version...

It was over the top and they tried way too hard on alot of the jokes...it gave me a few laughs but not worth owning like the 1st one.
And yes 10k bc is one of the worst movies ever

I thought H&K 2 was pretty damned close to the first one...

But then, it's been a while... and I expected it to suck. Low expectations, and all...

noa 08-04-2008 01:29 PM

I love in H&K 2 when John Cho pops out for just a second in the library flashback scene.

Sure-Oz 08-04-2008 01:47 PM

Yeah it wasnt a bad flick at all, i now have the other boylen girl and jumper headed my way from netflix...1 for the gf 1 for me

Saw never back down this past weekend, typical fast and furious style type movie, wasnt bad, rent only if you like to see stupid hs kids fight that look like their in their mid 20's

Deberg_1990 08-04-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4886862)
I thought H&K 2 was pretty damned close to the first one...

Was Doogie Howser in that one as well? He pretty much made the first one for me.

Sure-Oz 08-04-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4890315)
Was Doogie Howser in that one as well? He pretty much made the first one for me.

Yeah he was in it for a brief period...

I love the new Old Spice commercial with him, funny

KcMizzou 08-04-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4890609)
Yeah he was in it for a brief period...

I love the new Old Spice commercial with him, funny

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TusJ8HSLaUs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TusJ8HSLaUs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sure-Oz 08-04-2008 10:11 PM

I used to be a dr for pretend lol

KevB 08-04-2008 11:15 PM

Cleaner - What? Sam Jackson, Ed Harris and Eva Mendes? I'm in! Trouble is, it just wasn't very good. Mediocre "thriller" through and through. If you can't find anything better to rent, give it a shot. But don't bother putting it at the top of your queue.

Vantage Point - I really wanted to like this movie, but just too many holes and too predictable. It's watchable, but in the end I was disappointed.

Lars and the Real Girl - Not a bad little indy type flick. Some pretty funny scenes, and ultimately a feel good movie. Ryan Gosling was very good.

kcxiv 08-05-2008 04:31 AM

Felon with Val Kilmer and Steven Dorff. I really enjoyed that flick. Its all kinds of ****ed up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1117385/

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-05-2008 06:23 AM

If anyone is interested in seeing more Christian Bale flicks, due to the popularity of TDK, I'd recommend The Machinist as well as Equilibrium. The latter is a dystopian 1984-clone, but still awesome. The Machinist is almost like a neo-noir version of Memento with a phenomenal physical performance by Bale.

'Hamas' Jenkins 08-05-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4886721)
Yeah, 10,000 BC sucked balls.

It's a Roland Emmerich film. That's axiomatic.

KevB 08-05-2008 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4891782)
If anyone is interested in seeing more Christian Bale flicks, due to the popularity of TDK, I'd recommend The Machinist as well as Equilibrium. The latter is a dystopian 1984-clone, but still awesome. The Machinist is almost like a neo-noir version of Memento with a phenomenal physical performance by Bale.

I believe I read (or heard?) that Bale went from The Machinist to Batman Begins in 6 months. Amazing.

Fire Me Boy! 08-05-2008 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 4891784)
I believe I read (or heard?) that Bale went from The Machinist to Batman Begins in 6 months. Amazing.

Yup. Gained like 60 or 70 pounds for the role too. He was absolutely emaciated by the end of shooting The Machinist.

Baby Lee 08-05-2008 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4891783)
It's a Roland Emmerich film. That's axiomatic.

I heard he, Renny Harlan and McG are teaming up for something BIG!!!

KevB 08-05-2008 10:46 PM

Alien vs. Predator Requiem : That was as bad as I'd read it was. Way too dark, and some really hokey scenes that didn't have the intended effect. Some decent special effects, and Jesse at the pool was nice. Otherwise, don't expect much and it will meet your expectations.

Miles 08-05-2008 11:10 PM

I watched "Death at a Funeral" earlier tonight and it was pretty hilarious. Well worth a rental if you enjoy black comedies.

irishjayhawk 08-05-2008 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4894290)
I watched "Death at a Funeral" earlier tonight and it was pretty hilarious. Well worth a rental if you enjoy black comedies.

I forgot to mention that one. I liked it, though I did feel it felt short.

Baby Lee 08-07-2008 07:15 AM

He may be down, but he damn sure ain't out. I liked 300 more than Ebert, but this is some quality writing.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/506949713

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ebert
The Spartans travel light. They come bare-chested, dressed in sandals, bikini briefs and capes. They carry swords and shields. At the right time, they produce helmets which must have been concealed in their loincloths. Also apples. And from the looks of them, protein shakes. They are very athletic, able to construct a towering wall of thousands of dead Persians in hours, even after going to all the trouble of butchering them. When they go into battle, their pep talks sound like the screams of drunken sports fans swarming onto the field.

noa 08-07-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 4894290)

Yeah, I liked it. Always a fan of Alan Tudyk and dysfunctional families.

noa 08-07-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 4896948)
He may be down, but he damn sure ain't out. I liked 300 more than Ebert, but this is some quality writing.

BL, have you ever read movie reviews by Stanley Kauffman? IMO, he is the best writer of any movie reviewer, but he rarely covers big, popular flicks. Mostly foreign or artsy films, and his writing is stunning. He's 92 years old and still puts out quality stuff every other week.

ChiefsFan4Life 08-09-2008 05:32 PM

I watched There Will Be Blood today and I have to say it is one of the slowest, most boring, un-entertaining, waste-of-time movies I've ever seen in my life.

0 stars out of 5

KCCHIEFS27 08-09-2008 06:07 PM

Harold and Kumar Escape Guantanamo Bay...WAY BETTER than the first one.

Sure-Oz 08-09-2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4904300)
I watched There Will Be Blood today and I have to say it is one of the slowest, most boring, un-entertaining, waste-of-time movies I've ever seen in my life.

0 stars out of 5

I just got that from netflix for bluray....hmm wondering now if i should watch it.

I just watched jumper last night, entertaining and stupid, no real plot line or origin on the jumpers or whatever.

2/5 stars

Fire Me Boy! 08-09-2008 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4904501)
I just got that from netflix for bluray....hmm wondering now if i should watch it.

I just watched jumper last night, entertaining and stupid, no real plot line or origin on the jumpers or whatever.

2/5 stars

CFL is clearly a moron. There Will be Blood is incredible. But don't go in expecting a blood bath. It's not that kind of blood. Not an action flick at all.

Sure-Oz 08-09-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4904524)
CFL is clearly a moron. There Will be Blood is incredible. But don't go in expecting a blood bath. It's not that kind of blood. Not an action flick at all.

I've had it set on top priority for Bluray and finally have gotten it after 4 weeks...

So i'll definetly give it a shot. Heard it was supposed to be good...probably couldve gotten it the first week but i hold off for the blurays on certain movies

ChiefsFan4Life 08-09-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4904524)
CFL is clearly a moron.

Because I don't agree that it's a great film? Ha

I think I'll download a movie tonight just for you

KcMizzou 08-09-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4904554)

I haven't seen it, but movies are a matter of personal tastes. One man's trash...

I think it's pretty silly to call someone a moron for not liking a particular film.

Fire Me Boy! 08-09-2008 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4904554)

Yeah, because neg rep and illegal activity is really something to do because I called you moron... in jest. Get a ****ing life.

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness... you're downing a movie that was widely praised, by both critics and audiences alike (92 percent at Rotten Tomatoes), and I'm the one who's out of step.

Fire Me Boy! 08-09-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4904643)
I haven't seen it, but movies are a matter of personal tastes. One man's trash...

I think it's pretty silly to call someone a moron for not liking a particular film.

Forgot to add the :p smiley. I thought "clearly" was being somewhat sarcastic. I also thought, apparently mistakenly, that my history on this board of being open to others' tastes in movies would speak for itself.

KcMizzou 08-09-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4904847)
Forgot to add the :p smiley. I thought "clearly" was being somewhat sarcastic. I also thought, apparently mistakenly, that my history on this board of being open to others' tastes in movies would speak for itself.

Good... because I like some pretty shitty movies. I know they're shitty... but damnit... sometimes they're entertaining.

Just depends on what kind of mood you're in...

Sure-Oz 08-09-2008 11:29 PM

Im in the middle of it....it is interesting so far...

Nzoner 08-09-2008 11:34 PM

I finally saw Dark Knight tonight at the IMAX in KC,Ledger was awesome and it was entertaining as hell.Not going to move into my top 20 or anything like that but I can see buying it on DVD.

irishjayhawk 08-10-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4904855)
Good... because I like some pretty shitty movies. I know they're shitty... but damnit... sometimes they're entertaining.

Just depends on what kind of mood you're in...

Let's see if you're a moron.

KcMizzou 08-10-2008 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4905185)
Let's see if you're a moron.

Do you have a test in mind or something?

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2008 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 4905188)
Do you have a test in mind or something?

"Clearly" irish can sense his own kind.

:p

ChiefsFan4Life 08-10-2008 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4904845)
Yeah, because neg rep and illegal activity is really something to do because I called you moron... in jest. Get a ****ing life.

:rolleyes:

In all seriousness... you're downing a movie that was widely praised, by both critics and audiences alike (92 percent at Rotten Tomatoes), and I'm the one who's out of step.

Hey why don't you go act like a bitch and start a thread saying you are leaving forever to draw attention to yourself and then come back as you are here now...oh wait...you already did that

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4905297)
Hey why don't you go act like a bitch and start a thread saying you are leaving forever to draw attention to yourself and then come back as you are here now...oh wait...you already did that

Why don't YOU go look at that thread (I'll be happy to link it here) and tell me where I said I was leaving forever.

Matter of fact, I'll link it here for you. CLICK HERE.

When Phil called me, I told him I'd be back. How is that saying I'm leaving forever? Maybe I missed it. :shrug:

ChiefsFan4Life 08-10-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 4905588)
Why don't YOU go look at that thread (I'll be happy to link it here) and tell me where I said I was leaving forever.

Matter of fact, I'll link it here for you. CLICK HERE.

When Phil called me, I told him I'd be back. How is that saying I'm leaving forever? Maybe I missed it. :shrug:

That's even worse - so you made a big deal about leaving? Wow, that's so awesome of you.

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan4Life (Post 4905617)
That's even worse - so you made a big deal about leaving? Wow, that's so awesome of you.

Unwad the panties, man. Like I said in a previous post, I forgot the stupid smiley. I thought the "clearly" was a note of sarcasm (obviously, I was wrong), and you're getting all bent out of shape.

And yes, for the record, the note about me leaving was to make a "point". I wasn't crying, trying to get everyone to talk me back in. I was off the board for three or four months or something like that. Honestly can't remember how long I was gone. The "point" of the thread was that because of a number of douchebags CP was losing a fairly long-time, productive member for a while. And call me a drama queen if you wish (though you're making a rather large stink over a pretty innocuous comment yourself), but I wanted it known that I was pissed.

If you want to know what really led me to the hiatus, I'll be happy to let you know. The American Gangster thread was just the tip of the iceberg. Certainly not the straw that broke the camel's back.

Maybe now we can just let it rest and get back to talking about movies? I'll make sure next time I call you a moron to include the smiley so there's no confusion. Like whatever you like man, don't like whatever you don't like.

Here's a few for me that go against the flow: I think Will Farrell movies absolutely suck ass. Can't stand the guy. Feel the same way about Jim Carrey comedies. Can't stand Monty Python. I like Dick Tracy. I didn't think Battlefield Earth was really that bad. I don't think Pamela Anderson is attractive, nor do I think Jada Pinkett Smith is attractive. I do, however, find Maggie Gyllenhaal very sexy.

Feel free to call me a moron on any and/or of the above.

QuikSsurfer 08-10-2008 12:37 PM

Knock this shit off. Lets keep it to movie talk.

Anyone see Pineapple Express yet?

Fire Me Boy! 08-10-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 4905649)

Didn't look that interesting to me.

I watched Guide for the Married Man this morning. That movie is friggin' funny as hell. Great cast, including Robert Morse and Walter Mathau.

Bowser 08-10-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 4905649)

No, but I will soon. I had no idea the hippie looking stoner was James Franco.

Sure-Oz 08-10-2008 09:37 PM

Finished "there will be blood" admitted it was long and took awhile to get going...not a whole lot of 'wow' factor but i liked it, the end was kinda crazy. id say its worth seeing once

Fire Me Boy! 08-11-2008 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4906707)
Finished "there will be blood" admitted it was long and took awhile to get going...not a whole lot of 'wow' factor but i liked it, the end was kinda crazy. id say its worth seeing once

Man, I've seen it several times already, and the nuances of DDL's performance has gotten better with each subsequent viewing. Just an amazing film, IMO.

Baby Lee 08-11-2008 06:26 AM

Here's a strange of observations I happened upon yesterday [and it's gonna take two posts]. I had finally watched The Deer Hunter all the way through this weekend and [as I often do] sought Ebert's insights to augment my own
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...903090301/1023
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
March 9, 1979
Michael Cimino's "The Deer Hunter" is a three-hour movie in three major movements. It is a progression from a wedding to a funeral. It is the story of a group of friends. It is the record of how the war in Vietnam entered several lives and altered them terribly forever. It is not an anti-war film. It is not a pro-war film. It is one of the most emotionally shattering films ever made. It begins with men at work, in the furnace of the steel mills in a town somewhere in Pennsylvania. The klaxon sounds, the shift is over, the men go down the road to a saloon for a beer. They sing "I Love You Bay-bee" along with the jukebox. It is still morning on the last day of their lives that will belong to them before Vietnam.

The movie takes its time with these opening scenes, with the steel mill and the saloon and especially with the wedding and the party in the American Legion Hall. It's important not simply that we come to know the characters, but that we feel absorbed into their lives; that the wedding rituals and rhythms feel like more than just ethnic details. They do.

The opening movement is lingered over; it's like the wedding celebration in "The Godfather," but celebrated by hard-working people who have come to eat, dance and drink a lot and wish luck to the newlyweds and to say good-by to the three young men who have enlisted in the Army. The party goes on long enough for everyone to get drunk who is ever going to, and then the newlyweds drive off and the rest of the friends go up into the mountains to shoot some deer. There is some Hemingwayesque talk about what it means to shoot deer: We are still at a point where shooting something is supposed to mean something.

Then Vietnam occupies the screen, suddenly, with a wall of noise, and the second movement of the film is about the experiences that three of the friends (Robert De Niro, John Savage and Christopher Walken) have there. At the film's center comes one of the most horrifying sequences ever created in fiction, as the three are taken prisoner and forced to play Russian roulette while their captors gamble on who will, or will not, blow out his brains.

The game of Russian roulette becomes the organizing symbol of the film: Anything you can believe about the game, about its deliberately random violence, about how It touches the sanity of men forced to play it, will apply to the war as a whole. It is a brilliant symbol because, in the context of this story, it makes any ideological statement about the war superfluous.

The De Niro character is the one who somehow finds the strength to keep going and to keep Savage and Walken going. He survives the prison camp and helps the others. Then, finally home from Vietnam, he is surrounded by a silence we can never quite penetrate. He is touched vaguely by desire for the girl that more than one of them left behind, but does not act decisively. He is a "hero," greeted shyly, awkwardly by the hometown people.

He delays for a long time going to the VA hospital to visit Savage, who has lost his legs. While he is there he learns that Walken is still in Vietnam. He had promised Walken -- on a drunken moonlit night under a basketball hoop on a playlot, the night of the wedding -- that he would never leave him in Vietnam. They were both thinking, romantically and naively, of the deaths of heroes, but now De Niro goes back in an altogether different context to retrieve the living Walken. The promise was adolescent stuff, but there is no adolescence left when De Niro finds Walken still in Saigon, playing Russian roulette professionally

At about this point in a review it is customary to praise or criticize those parts of a film that seem deserving: the actors, the photography, the director's handling of the material. It should be said, I suppose, that "The Deer Hunter" is far from flawless, that there are moments when its characters do not behave convincingly, implausible details involving Walken's stay and fate in Vietnam, unnecessary ambiguities in the De Niro character. It can also be said that the film contains greatly moving performances, and that it is the most impressive blending of "box office" and "art" in American movies since "Bonnie and Clyde," "The Godfather" and "Nashville." All of those kinds of observations will become irrelevant as you experience the film. It gathers you up, it takes you along, it doesn't let up.

"The Deer Hunter" is said to be about many subjects: About male bonding, about mindless patriotism, about the dehumanizing effects of war, about Nixon's "silent majority." It is about any of those things that you choose, if you choose, but more than anything else, it is a heartbreakingly effective fictional machine that evokes the agony of the Vietnam time.

If it is not overtly "anti-war," why should it be? Hell, we're all against the war . . . now. What "The Deer Hunter" insists is that we not forget the war. It ends on a curious note: The singing of "God Bless America." I won't tell you how it arrives at that particular moment (the unfolding of the final passages should occur to you as events in life) but I do want to observe that the lyrics of "God Bless America" have never before seemed to me to contain such an infinity of possible meanings, some tragic, some unspeakably sad, some few still defiantly hopeful.

Baby Lee 08-11-2008 06:28 AM

So then I headed over to IMDB for a some more info on the film. When I go the user's comment section I com across this

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077416/...t/96469105?p=1
Quote:

Originally Posted by Commentor on IMDB
Feb 3 2008
Sidema77, please read this review of the movie that I wrote for one of my classes a year back. Hopefully it will help you understand more about the movie and what the director was trying to do.

Michael Cimino’s The Deer Hunter is a three hour epic of a movie that can easily be broken down into three parts. It is the story of a group of friends who are shipped to Vietnam and have their lives changed forever in different ways. I wouldn’t go so far as calling this an anti-war film, and is by no means a pro-war film, but what it is, is one of the most emotionally shattering films ever made. The film begins as we are introduced to our three major characters, Michael,(Robert De Niro) Nick,(Christopher Walken) and Steve(John Savage) who are just finishing their shift at the steel mill in a small town in Pennsylvania. It is their last day of work before they are shipped off to Vietnam. The three then go to the local bar, have a few drinks and play pool before they attend Steve’s wedding.
The film takes it’s time with these opening scenes so we can step into the lives of these three hard working middle class men so we can feel for them for what happens to them later. There is some foreshadowing during the wedding reception and superstition for events to come as Steve and his new wife must drink from a special cup and are told, “If you don’t spill a drop, good luck will come to you for the rest of your lives.” The camera then focuses on a close up of the bride’s dress as we see a few drops land on her dress unnoticed. After the party, the friends minus Steve go up to the mountains to go deer hunting. In these scenes we are awarded with some of the best sceneries with excellent music as Michael moves himself away from the other hunters to go on his own and lands himself a deer. The deer is tied down to the hood of Michael’s car as the friends go back to town to the bar for a beer.
In the bar the camera slowly moves from close up shots of each of the friends as they watch and listen to one of them play the piano. As soon as he is done playing the piano, the film cuts right into Vietnam in the middle of action which is done perfectly. The quick cut from a group of friends drinking and having a good time to quickly cut to the war in Vietnam shows how fast things have changed; one minute your having a good time, and the next thing you know, your in a place you regret going to. We get a brief scene of the three main characters reuniting together after an attack on a Vietnamese village and what comes next is one of the most horrifying and best acted sequences in a film as the three or taken prisoner and forced to play Russian Roulette as their captors gamble on who, or who will not blow their brains out.
The game becomes a symbol to the film and that is that it touches the sanity of men forced to play it, and to the context of this story it makes a good ideological statement to the war it’s self. De Niro’s character Michael is the one to somehow find the strength to keep himself, Savage, and Walken going as he turns the tables around on their captors and escape. The three are then split up again as they try to climb up a later from a helicopter as they float on a log down a river. Michael returns home and is somewhat surrounded by silence as he is greeted back like a hero awkwardly by the townspeople. While on another hunting trip he realizes that he can now not shoot a deer. He now knows what it is like to be hunted and to have your innocence taken from you. Another important scene that occurred in Vietnam is that of Michael placing Steve who is wounded and out cold on the hood of a jeep so he can be taken to a hospital. Steve is placed on the hood of the jeep the same way the deer that Michael shot was tied down to the hood of his car. Michael learns that Steve is back in town at a VA hospital, and when he goes to visit him, he is shocked that he is confined to a wheelchair due to having his legs removed from his injuries. He also learns that Nick is still in Vietnam, and after making Nick a promise not to leave him there, Michael travels to Saigon to get Nick who he finds still playing Russian Roulette professionally. The film ends in a shocking and sad note as only one of the friends will return back home alive.
The Deer Hunter’s acting, photography, and the way the director handles the material given to him really makes what this film is. It is one of the most impressive blending of box office and art I have seen next to The Godfather. I do not think that this movie is for everybody for example, anybody who is looking for non-stop war action such as Platoon or Saving Private Ryan should stick with those films as they will be disappointed with this film. I can see people complaining about the films lack of war action, but all of that is irrelevant to the story’s main focus of what happens to these three friends that their lives will change in ways that they would never know. Another thing that may bring this movie down to some is the movies some what slow start which lasts a little over one hour. To me this strengths the movie more because I actually feel for the characters and want them to survive and that is the movies main point.
The movie is about male bonding, life, and the dehumanizing effects of war. The Deer Hunter was the first movie to capture and deal with the horrors of Vietnam and I still think that this is the best. This is not a war film but a film about the soldiers of war and how they are effected by it when returning home. The film won five of the nine academy awards it was nominated for including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor in A Supporting Role for Christopher Walken. Robert De Niro sadly did not win his nomination for Best Actor which is a real shame because he really shines in this movie and once again proves himself in being one of the best actors in film history. I easily give this film 5 stars out of 5 stars and should be viewed by anybody interested in a good and powerful story, timeless directing, and some of the best acting put on film.

Pacino kisses De Niro's shoes everyday.

Is it just me, or is this poster either very in tune with Ebert, or a plagarist?