ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV The Walking Dead ***With Comic Spoilers*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230850)

KevB 10-16-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 8000020)
This is the first time I've seen this show,

Holy Christ.

They don't mess around

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-16-2011 08:20 PM

Show is so good

KevB 10-16-2011 08:28 PM

Holy shiite

Quite a finish

Dunit35 10-16-2011 08:30 PM

Wow....awesome

Shogun 10-16-2011 08:31 PM

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...o/blakckid.gif

aturnis 10-16-2011 08:41 PM

So, who shot him and where's the girl?

Jerm 10-16-2011 08:41 PM

HOLY....SHIT.

The awesomeness picks up right where Season 1 left off...

This is going to be an epic season.

Shogun 10-16-2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8000368)
So, who shot him and where's the girl?

read the comic if you get a chance

and if you watch what happens next week after the show ended its pretty obvious what happened

Buck 10-16-2011 08:46 PM

That was an awesome episode.

Comic Spoilers
Spoiler!

If you want to know who shot Carl, you can read this.
Spoiler!

Buck 10-16-2011 08:48 PM

And do as Shogun says. I know you might not think of yourself as a comic reader, but that comic is ****ing excellent. Try it out.

cabletech94 10-16-2011 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8000404)
And do as Shogun says. I know you might not think of yourself as a comic reader, but that comic is ****ing excellent. Try it out.

i'm on book (vol) 10.

all i can say is: OH. MY. GAWD.

Deberg_1990 10-16-2011 09:37 PM

It appears these zombies are a little smarter than they appear? The one who went into the trailer who searched around....the ones in the church who appeared to be worshipping? Also, I thought they could smell live humans? How could they hide under the cars then?

Awesome show overall...some really strong character work going on here.

Barret 10-16-2011 10:04 PM

Deberg, I think since they were in a "graveyard" of death then the zombies couldn't actually pick out the live humans from all the other stench in the air.

Also at the end I was thinking "awww the deer, it is the sign from God that Rick was asking for", and then DOH!!!!!!!!!!

KevB 10-16-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barret (Post 8000810)
Deberg, I think since they were in a "graveyard" of death then the zombies couldn't actually pick out the live humans from all the other stench in the air.

Also at the end I was thinking "awww the deer, it is the sign from God that Rick was asking for", and then DOH!!!!!!!!!!

Exactly why it was so shocking. I'm glad I haven't read the comics, otherwise I'd have known what was coming.

aturnis 10-16-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

The creator explained it on "Talking Dead" afterwards. Said they could smell and distinguish human from zombie, but they aren't bloodhounds who go sniffing about for their prey. On average they were probably at least 7ft. away from a zombies nose at any time(from nose to ground, then from zombies feet to middle of vehicle). A lot different than brushing shoulders with them.

Buck 10-17-2011 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8000842)
Exactly why it was so shocking. I'm glad I haven't read the comics, otherwise I'd have known what was coming.

Dude I've read the comics and I didn't even see it coming.

Bambi 10-17-2011 08:58 AM

Pretty good opening.

But I hate dumb plot holes like being in a huge field of vehicles which obviously have drivers, keys etc everywhere and then worried about fixing the stupid winnebago?!?

Just go get a nice new range rover or something, haha

Pants 10-17-2011 09:08 AM

What I don't get is why are there just dead people strewn around that huge field of vehicles. Shouldn't they have been turned into zombies? Or did they just sit in their cars slowly dying, going "welp, I'm done trying"?

KevB 10-17-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8001222)
Pretty good opening.

But I hate dumb plot holes like being in a huge field of vehicles which obviously have drivers, keys etc everywhere and then worried about fixing the stupid winnebago?!?

Yes, plenty of holes that are difficult to reconcile, even in a movie revolving around zombies. I'm trying to overlook them, but it's not easy. In Zombieland, they picked up an Escalade and a Hummer. Pretty sure I'm going down that same path if I'm one of the survivors in The Walking Dead.

kaplin42 10-17-2011 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8000396)
That was an awesome episode.

Comic Spoilers
Spoiler!

I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the episode too.

kaplin42 10-17-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

One thing you learn from the comics is that there is no happiness. Just when you think something good might happen, that usually means someone is about to get ****ed.

Bambi 10-17-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8001583)
One thing you learn from the comics is that there is no happiness. Just when you think something good might happen, that usually means someone is about to get ****ed.

Yea I could see that from a mile away last night.

Music cue'ing up. Smiles creeping up from characters who are constantly going through hell...then boom! gutshot

Son of Logical 10-17-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8001547)
Yes, plenty of holes that are difficult to reconcile, even in a movie revolving around zombies. I'm trying to overlook them, but it's not easy. In Zombieland, they picked up an Escalade and a Hummer. Pretty sure I'm going down that same path if I'm one of the survivors in The Walking Dead.

I think it has to do with the fact that it is more a house on wheels. Beds to sleep in and all that. Plus, he might be trying to hang onto something that is his, a security thing.

aturnis 10-17-2011 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8001547)

It's got it's advantages, get on top, high vantage point, lots of room for passengers and supplies, restroom.

frankotank 10-17-2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 7999950)
typical...it'll be the black guy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8001242)
What I don't get is why are there just dead people strewn around that huge field of vehicles. Shouldn't they have been turned into zombies? Or did they just sit in their cars slowly dying, going "welp, I'm done trying"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8001222)
Pretty good opening.

Wow, I’m cracking up at how many things I’m running across and I’m going…..yeah, just what I thought! I’m TRYING not to pick it to pieces, but I can’t help it.
The black guys arm was cut DEEP about a foot long right down his forearm. I thought he’d die, yet an hour later he’s all good.
Why why why are there so many dead people in those cars that aren't zombies? the most glaringly stupid thing yet on the show.
They KNOW they can’t just go shooting guns whenever they want, so where are all the hatchets, machetes, swords, etc.
EVERYONE should have a gun. Come ON!
You know, when you’re driving down the road wondering when zombies are gonna jump out at you, you really want to be on a motorcycle! By the way, the guy on the bike, the hunter with the crossbow…..is he a Boondock saint??

One last thought, the partner who wants to sneak off, he’s hesitant to take the hot blonde because why??? He’s….gay?

I do like this show though…..

KevB 10-17-2011 01:53 PM

Wow

Killer ratings

KevB 10-17-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Logical (Post 8001681)
I think it has to do with the fact that it is more a house on wheels. Beds to sleep in and all that. Plus, he might be trying to hang onto something that is his, a security thing.

Yeah, not so much criticizing the motor home choice, although I'd probably try to find one that didn't come off the assembly line in 1970. I was more on the lead car(s) with my comment. Not to mention the one guy who's rolling on a bike that could be heard for miles.

kaplin42 10-17-2011 02:07 PM

The motorcycle bothered me too. If sound is what draws them, then maybe a loud bike like that is not the answer.

Munson 10-17-2011 02:14 PM

Great opening episode last night! Anybody know how many episodes there are this season?

Dunit35 10-17-2011 02:18 PM

6 or 7 with the same following in February. Read it somewhere on this thread.

Did that blonde have two guns? When she is being taught how to clean hers, she shows him a stainless steel pistol and 20 minutes later it was a blued finish.

aturnis 10-17-2011 02:42 PM

Think the stainless was the guys.

Deberg_1990 10-17-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8001730)
Wow, I’m cracking up at how many things I’m running across and I’m going…..yeah, just what I thought! I’m TRYING not to pick it to pieces, but I can’t help it.
The black guys arm was cut DEEP about a foot long right down his forearm. I thought he’d die, yet an hour later he’s all good.
Why why why are there so many dead people in those cars that aren't zombies? the most glaringly stupid thing yet on the show.
They KNOW they can’t just go shooting guns whenever they want, so where are all the hatchets, machetes, swords, etc.
EVERYONE should have a gun. Come ON!
You know, when you’re driving down the road wondering when zombies are gonna jump out at you, you really want to be on a motorcycle! By the way, the guy on the bike, the hunter with the crossbow…..is he a Boondock saint??

One last thought, the partner who wants to sneak off, he’s hesitant to take the hot blonde because why??? He’s….gay?

I do like this show though…..

hehe....im sure we could pick this thing apart if we wanted to, but the drama and suspense are so good, im usually willing to overlook most things.

Heres some more Darabont speculation. Sounds like last nights episode might have gotten him fired. My guess is him and the comic writer Kirkman didnt get along? Maybe the comics explain alot of the zombie stuff better??

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51622

KevB 10-17-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8001730)

That dude is probably my favorite character on the show. He's perfectly cast, and he plays the part very well.

NewChief 10-17-2011 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8001709)
It's got it's advantages, get on top, high vantage point, lots of room for passengers and supplies, restroom.

I haven't watched that many episodes, but an early one made it clear that He has a little bit of everything packed away in his RV. Trading vehicles would involve restructuring his entire survivalist organizational structure.

keg in kc 10-17-2011 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8001770)

11 million for the night is no joke.

Blows my mind though, when you think about how hard Breaking Bad has had to struggle to get viewers (although it set its own record last week iirc), on the same network on the same night. If you had to ask me which one would have the bigger audience, it wouldn't be the zombie show, even speaking as someone with a genre bias.

KevB 10-17-2011 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8002119)
I haven't watched that many episodes, but an early one made it clear that He has a little bit of everything packed away in his RV. Trading vehicles would involve restructuring his entire survivalist organizational structure.

It's hard to think of an RV that breaks down every 50 miles as receiving the survivalist approval stamp.

Deberg_1990 10-17-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8002169)
11 million for the night is no joke.

Blows my mind though, when you think about how hard Breaking Bad has had to struggle to get viewers (although it set its own record last week iirc), on the same network on the same night. If you had to ask me which one would have the bigger audience, it wouldn't be the zombie show, even speaking as someone with a genre bias.

Horror and Gore is a fairly easy sell. Especially in October which this show has premiered twice.now.
Posted via Mobile Device

notorious 10-17-2011 06:12 PM

It had it's moments, but overall I rate this episode as "meh".

ToxSocks 10-17-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8002323)

I thought it was better than most episodes from last season. At least it kept my attention for the entire 90 minutes.

KcMizzou 10-17-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8002341)
I thought it was better than most episodes from last season. At least it kept my attention for the entire 90 minutes.

Agreed.

notorious 10-17-2011 06:23 PM

True. I wish they could recapture whatever it was they had in the 1st episode.

Aries Walker 10-17-2011 06:28 PM

For the record, I wouldn't give that basket case a handgun either. If hers had been assembled when she was trapped in the bathroom, she would have used it, and it would have encouraged every single one of that zombie pack to do a heel turn and beeline right back for the area. Would have gotten them all killed.

They need to go back to their medieval roots, and make themselves some rudimentary polearms and shields. Oh, and yeah, ditch the Harley noise machine, and find yourself a Prius - they're practically noiseless.

Buck 10-17-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8002323)

I think this most recent episode was on part with that first episode.

Let's see if it gets better.

notorious 10-17-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8002361)
For the record, I wouldn't give that basket case a handgun either. If hers had been assembled when she was trapped in the bathroom, she would have used it, and it would have encouraged every single one of that zombie pack to do a heel turn and beeline right back for the area. Would have gotten them all killed.

They need to go back to their medieval roots, and make themselves some rudimentary polearms and shields. Oh, and yeah, ditch the Harley noise machine, and find yourself a Prius - they're practically noiseless.

Keep a lookout for bows and crossbows.

KcMizzou 10-17-2011 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8002378)
Keep a lookout for bows and crossbows.

Yeah that one guy (Daryl?) kicks ass with that crossbow. Quietly.

notorious 10-17-2011 06:37 PM

It wouldn't hurt to be leathered up, either. Christ, driving around in a short sleeved shirt with the windows down is ****ing reeruned.

Buck 10-17-2011 06:38 PM

The comic is on like issue 85 or 86 now and not once has anyone ever used a silenced gun. I find that amusing.

Deberg_1990 10-17-2011 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8002392)
The comic is on like issue 85 or 86 now and not once has anyone ever used a silenced gun. I find that amusing.

Really? I just think you can get away with things in comics that you cant in a live action drama.

Delano 10-17-2011 06:42 PM

That cheap, cheesy special effect of the convoy leaving Atlanta in the open killed me. They could have left that out.
Posted via Mobile Device

ThaVirus 10-17-2011 06:45 PM

I'm mad I don't have cable! I had to wait until the DVD came out to watch the last season.. Anywhere I can find this on the 'net?

Buck 10-17-2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8002398)
Really? I just think you can get away with things in comics that you cant in a live action drama.

Yeah, limited resources though. I don't think that silencers are exactly widely available.

notorious 10-17-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8002415)
Yeah, limited resources though. I don't think that silencers are exactly widely available.

This. Kind of illegal in most states.

keg in kc 10-17-2011 07:42 PM

Pretty intense episode at times.

Buck 10-17-2011 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 8002646)
Pretty intense episode at times.

When Carl was grabbing the knives off of the dead dude in the truck I was covering my eyes like a little bitch.

aturnis 10-17-2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 8002390)
It wouldn't hurt to be leathered up, either. Christ, driving around in a short sleeved shirt with the windows down is ****ing reeruned.

What? I don't follow.

I thought the leathered up quote was smart at first, b/c it'd help protect from zombie bites, then I realized you were talking about riding a motorcycle. To each their own, but I don't think I'd leather up if I road one. I think the folks covered in leather look reeruned.

aturnis 10-17-2011 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delano (Post 8002408)
That cheap, cheesy special effect of the convoy leaving Atlanta in the open killed me. They could have left that out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I have a REALLY big problem with shitty special effects. That is why I never saw the first Hulk movie, and why I can't stand 120Hertz tv's. They KILL CGI.

aturnis 10-17-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8002189)
It's hard to think of an RV that breaks down every 50 miles as receiving the survivalist approval stamp.

I would have grabbed EVERY radiator hose in that car graveyard.

aturnis 10-17-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8002091)
That dude is probably my favorite character on the show. He's perfectly cast, and he plays the part very well.

He bothered me A LOT last season. First b/c the southern accent was WAY bad, and b/c their backwoods nature was a bit over the top. This first episode has toned all of that WAY down and the accent is much more mild. Made it a lot easier to watch.

Lex Luthor 10-17-2011 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8002414)
I'm mad I don't have cable! I had to wait until the DVD came out to watch the last season.. Anywhere I can find this on the 'net?

I watched all of Season 1 yesterday on Netflix. I hadn't watched the show at all before yesterday, and I totally geeked out on it. Then I watched the season 2 premiere last night.

This is a damn good show.

CHENZ A! 10-17-2011 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8002649)
When Carl was grabbing the knives off of the dead dude in the truck I was covering my eyes like a little bitch.

Me too, I honestly don't like horror movies at all, but zombie/vampire stuff usually doesn't bother me, and I think it's cool.

I thought you've read the books? so you know what happens right?

bowener 10-17-2011 10:33 PM

The cowboy speech at the beginning over the radio was way over the top/cheesy. I wish that had been cut. The mom and the cop praying were also cheesy. I don't care that they were praying, but it isn't necessary at all for us to hear what they are praying or see them doing it really.

This was a good episode overall, but nothing great.

KcMizzou 10-17-2011 10:43 PM

The cool thing about zombie movies (the good ones) is that sense of inevitability. Impending doom. They're slow and stupid, but there are hordes of them. They just keep coming. That's terrifying.

This series hasn't been able to capture that.

KevB 10-17-2011 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bowener (Post 8003107)
The cowboy speech at the beginning over the radio was way over the top/cheesy. I wish that had been cut. The mom and the cop praying were also cheesy. I don't care that they were praying, but it isn't necessary at all for us to hear what they are praying or see them doing it really.

I was especially frustrated with the "the doctor told me......ah, never mind" bit at the beginning.

blaise 10-17-2011 11:04 PM

It was good. It could have been an hour, though.

Bambi 10-18-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8002649)

haha, me too.

is Hal from cliffhanger ever coming back or is he dead? can't remember

aturnis 10-18-2011 12:35 AM

Quote:

Agreed. Especially the "Rick signing off" at the end. Agree on the praying shit also. It'd be a lot more profound if the person praying were alone, and obviously a ****ing wreck without hope and needing faith to cling to. Instead, these detached moments in front of a crowd. Hell, I would love a moment from Rick like Tom Hanks had in Saving Private Ryan where he breaks down shaking and crying in private as to not show everyone his "weak" side beings they all look to him for leadership and strength.

There are SOOOOOO many things this show has going against it, somehow though, the show as a whole rises above it.

aturnis 10-18-2011 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 8003120)
The cool thing about zombie movies (the good ones) is that sense of inevitability. Impending doom. They're slow and stupid, but there are hordes of them. They just keep coming. That's terrifying.

This series hasn't been able to capture that.

True, another thing, I've been annoyed by. They've portrayed it a tad with things like the black woman staying at the cdc, and the blonde chick wanting to take it as a way out also. The characters are just so thin that it makes it really hard to be drawn in emotionally and psychologically as far as fear is concerned. The seasons need to be more than 6 damned episodes, it leaves so little time to develop the characters and stories.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 8003138)
I was especially frustrated with the "the doctor told me......ah, never mind" bit at the beginning.

Yeah, that was annoying also, that whole opening scene was just bad acting on "Rick". His character is so, ugh, I dunno, what is something like monotone for the depth or versatility of a character?

aturnis 10-18-2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 8003209)
haha, me too.

is Hal from cliffhanger ever coming back or is he dead? can't remember

Merle. He got locked on the roof, they finally went back for him and he had sawn his hand off. Can't remember if he ever reappeared.

Chiefnj2 10-18-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

The cowboy speech at the beginning over the radio was way over the top/cheesy.

Wasn't that just a device to catch up new viewers who may have missed season 1?

blaise 10-18-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8003399)

Yeah, it was lame, but that's what they were doing. Honestly, a voice over narrative would have been better.

Deberg_1990 10-18-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8003399)

Thats what i took it as. Didnt really bother me much.

Chiefnj2 10-18-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8003412)
Thats what i took it as. Didnt really bother me much.

I think people are being hyper-critical. It isn't Lost where every detail is to be scoured over for some deep meaning. It's a show about zombie's. You are going to have inconsistencies or else it would be boring as all hell. Although the black guy should have died after slicing open an artery, and I'm sure the kid isn't going to die after taking a rifle shot to the liver/lung.

bevischief 10-18-2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 8002414)

Google it there are a lot of web sites that stream for free.

blaise 10-18-2011 08:44 AM

I thought the zombies looked better than last season.

bevischief 10-18-2011 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8003244)
Merle. He got locked on the roof, they finally went back for him and he had sawn his hand off. Can't remember if he ever reappeared.

Not yet.

NewChief 10-18-2011 09:30 AM

Finally caught up with Breaking Bad, so I watched s1ep5 "Wildfire" last night. This show is enjoyable, because I like zombies, and I'll definitely get current on it now.

That being said, the voice that comes over and says, "Previously on the Walking Dead" is the same voice that says, "Previously on Breaking Bad" and it just made me pine for BB.

Pasta Little Brioni 10-18-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8003427)
I think people are being hyper-critical. It isn't Lost where every detail is to be scoured over for some deep meaning. It's a show about zombie's. You are going to have inconsistencies or else it would be boring as all hell. Although the black guy should have died after slicing open an artery, and I'm sure the kid isn't going to die after taking a rifle shot to the liver/lung.

Exactly. It's a Zombie show for ****'s sake.

frankotank 10-18-2011 10:14 AM

so I went googling and the crossbow dude is indeed a boondock saint. I also wondered where I'd seen the hot blond who can't put a gun together (Andrea)....she was in The Mist and so was the mom who's little girl is lost (Carol Peletier)... she was the lady who had to go home to her children and noone would go with her. worthless info I know...it always bugs me when I just KNOW I've seen someone in something else.....
Speaking of which, Sarah Wayne Callies was so much hotter in prison break as a redhead.

Chiefnj2 10-18-2011 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 8003779)
so I went googling and the crossbow dude is indeed a boondock saint. I also wondered where I'd seen the hot blond who can't put a gun together (Andrea)....she was in The Mist and so was the mom who's little girl is lost (Carol Peletier)... she was the lady who had to go home to her children and noone would go with her. worthless info I know...it always bugs me when I just KNOW I've seen someone in something else.....
Speaking of which, Sarah Wayne Callies was so much hotter in prison break as a redhead.

Andrea = federal agent who got played by Chiklis in The Shield.

frankotank 10-18-2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 8003785)
Andrea = federal agent who got played by Chiklis in The Shield.

yeah I noticed that on IMD but I wasn't a Shield watcher.
just noticed that Dale (the old guy who won't give blondie her gun) was also in The Mist. boy they really raided that cast.