ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink The Great American Menu: Foods Of The States, Ranked And Mapped (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=277629)

lewdog 10-19-2013 02:27 PM

Yup, Testicles.

That does seem about right.

chiefzilla1501 10-19-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 10097960)
It's the taste. Chains and mid west( thin slice) pizza is a joke compared to nj/ ny pizza IMO. I'm biased but i thought that one was just anger about ny attitude instead of a legit breakdown of the regions pizza. I know some ex ny/nj people now in Midwest that crave real pizza. Maybe they are just biased too.

I hate midwest pizza. Either thin crust or far too doughy. This guy's an idiot. New York Pizza is phenomenal.

Just because the guy doesn't like Philly, doesn't mean that the Philly isn't the obvious choice for Pennsylvania food. Is he ****ing serious? I don't know if I've ever seen a sandwich shop outside of that area serve Phillys on that delicious bread with toppings like cheese wiz.

FD 10-19-2013 02:41 PM

I thought this was pretty terrible until I got to the rant on Cincinatti chili, then I loved it. Spot on.

vailpass 10-19-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 10099369)
I hate midwest pizza. Either thin crust or far too doughy. This guy's an idiot. New York Pizza is phenomenal.

Just because the guy doesn't like Philly, doesn't mean that the Philly isn't the obvious choice for Pennsylvania food. Is he ****ing serious? I don't know if I've ever seen a sandwich shop outside of that area serve Phillys on that delicious bread with toppings like cheese wiz.

Genos. Without.

frozenchief 10-19-2013 03:25 PM

Agudaq in Alaska is disgusting when made with lard. I cannot imagine it with whale fat, although whale meat is pretty good. Seal and walrus are disgusting. The meat is tough and stringy and it tastes like rotten fish. Cincinnati chili is better than Agudaq*

Washington got salmon, which is bogus. Washington should get oysters and Alaska get salmon. You can say 'whoop-de-do', but nothing tastes better than fresh real salmon pulled from the river, still bright and silver from the ocean. With flesh a deep orange from eating shrimp rather than a neon orange from due pellets, fresh salmon grilled over a fire by a riverside while drinking a good Alaska beer (we have a ton of breweries up here) is hard to beat. It should be in the top 10. Sure beats some damn pizza.

Pronounced 'ah-goo-duck'. Pronounce quickly and in the back of your throw. For a isthe tic pronunciation, do not move your low jaw when saying the word.

listopencil 10-19-2013 03:36 PM

Is Cheez Whiz really such a great sandwich topping?

vailpass 10-19-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10099519)
Is Cheez Whiz really such a great sandwich topping?

Not to me but to many it is.
When you order a cheese steak in Philly you simply say "with" or "without". They know what you mean...

listopencil 10-19-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10099528)
Not to me but to many it is.
When you order a cheese steak in Philly you simply say "with" or "without". They know what you mean...

Ah, OK. I would put pepper jack on mine. Even mozzarella, or a sharp cheddar.

The Franchise 10-19-2013 03:54 PM

13 years in SD and I've never heard of or seen any chislic.

vailpass 10-19-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10099566)
13 years in SD and I've never heard of or seen any chislic.

Wtf is that?

The Franchise 10-19-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10099571)
Wtf is that?

No clue. Apparently it's beef cubes on a stick. I've never heard of it.

And I can vouch that chimichangas are not AZ's food.

listopencil 10-19-2013 03:59 PM

Chislic<table class="metadata plainlinks ambox ambox-content ambox-Refimprove" style="" role="presentation"><tbody><tr><td class="mbox-image">
</td><td class="mbox-text" style=""><small></small>
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...islicsmall.jpg http://bits.wikimedia.org/static-1.2...gnify-clip.png
A serving of beef chislic at a restaurant in Sioux Falls, SD.

Chislic (or sometimes chislick) is a traditional dish of cubed red meat most commonly localized to the state of South Dakota in the United States. The term, while non-specific to any particular meat or seasoning, generally describes wild game, mutton, or beef which is deep-fried or grilled, and served hot on a skewer or toothpick.
Traditional chislic is mutton. Other meat are variations due to unavailability or lack of knowledge.

Etymology

The word chislic is likely derived from the Russian word of shashlik or shashlyk, which is cubed meat or liver grilled on a skewer with tomatoes, peppers, and onions. The origin of the word shashlyk is rooted in shish kebab, the Turkish and Arabic words for skewered meats.<sup id="cite_ref-1" class="reference">[1]</sup> According to some sources, chislic was introduced into the United States by John Hoellwarth, who immigrated from Crimea to Hutchinson County, South Dakota in the 1870s.<sup id="cite_ref-2" class="reference">[2]</sup>
It can be made from a variety of red meats such as venison, bison, elk, lamb and beef. Originally, chislic may have been made from lamb or sheep, rather than the currently popular beef sirloin.
Preparation

Chislic is typically a simple preparation. Cubes of cut lamb, beef or venison, generally no bigger than a half-inch, are cooked in a deep-fryer. Generally, chislic is served medium rare to medium—i.e. warm pink inside. After cooking, while the meat cools on a paper towel, it is seasoned with seasoned or garlic salt. The cubes are eaten hot using toothpicks.
Regional differences

Chislic may vary slightly in preparation from region to region.
In the Pierre area, chislic is a marinated meat, dipped in batter and deep-fat fried. It has been offered as an alternative to Rocky Mountain oysters. The marinades vary and are often family secrets.
In the Sioux Falls area, chislic, usually deep fried mutton, is a popular bar food to accompany cold beer. It is often served with salt, soda crackers and hot sauce.
In the southeastern South Dakota communities of Menno and Freeman, chislic is generally prepared deep-fried in restaurants. The meat is almost invariably lamb, but wild game chislic, such as venison, may appear when in season. It is traditionally seasoned with garlic salt and eaten with soda crackers. The small, blunt skewer - or sometimes a toothpick – usually holds five or six cubes of meat. The same dish is also served grilled when prepared for large groups, such as gatherings at community organization fund-raisers or baseball games during the Fourth of July. The grilled variety is sometimes cooked with a brushing of barbecue sauce.
Annually in Freeman, SD, a chislic feast is held. Chislic can be found in Scotland, SD as well as other southeastern South Dakota towns. The local bars sometimes hold chislic feasts where more than 1200 sticks of chislic may be consumed.<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;"></sup>

vailpass 10-19-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10099578)
No clue. Apparently it's beef cubes on a stick. I've never heard of it.

And I can vouch that chimichangas are not AZ's food.

Shish kebab?

And yeah, chimichangas? I can think of many before that fried thing...

listopencil 10-19-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 10099585)
Shish kebab?

And yeah, chimichangas? I can think of many before that fried thing...

Looks like it is pretty much shish kebab with just the meat, served on toothpicks, traditionally using lamb, but other red meats are often (if not typically) substituted in the modern dish.

The Franchise 10-19-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 10099606)
Looks like it is pretty much shish kebab with just the meat, served on toothpicks, traditionally using lamb, but other red meats are often (if not typically) substituted in the modern dish.

And in 13 years I've never seen or heard about it. My Mom's side of the family are all from there and still live there....and I've never heard them talk about it.

Sofa King would be a good one to ask....he's from there.