ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music Joe Satriani Sues Coldplay for Plagiarism (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197871)

DaneMcCloud 12-07-2008 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 5274894)
Phony, as in, holding yourself out to be something that you aren't? That kind of phony?

You've made a fairly good fist of that in this thread, actually.

And considering that Planet members have been to my home and actually KNOW me, your "argument" holds absolutely no weight.

As usual.

HMc 12-07-2008 01:45 AM

Oh, I never suggested your shit-talking was a recent phenomenon.

DaneMcCloud 12-07-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 5274904)
Oh, I never suggested your shit-talking was a recent phenomenon.

I know.

And you're in the minority, shark-boy.

It must suck to be in Australia because apparently, you have nothing better to do.

HMc 12-07-2008 01:51 AM

Says the guy posting along with me (sort of destroys that nothing better to do sledge) at what, 11:50 on a saturday night? You really are a superstar, aren't you?

DaneMcCloud 12-07-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 5274911)
Says the guy posting along with me (sort of destroys that nothing better to do sledge) at what, 11:50 on a saturday night? You really are a superstar, aren't you?

Considering I'm 43 and have an infant daughter, I'd say yes.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-07-2008 05:38 AM

Question of the Day:

James and Lars; can the suckage grow to even greater heights? Is there truly no bottom to the levels of suckage and uselessness that these two turd-whackers can continue to peddle as "music"?

Will Metallica one day be the best-selling elevator music ever pumped in to the Assisted Living Center?

Discuss.

mcan 12-07-2008 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5274494)
First off, 4/4 does NOT refer to Tempo, as I stated earlier. It refers to Time Signature. Both songs are at the same exact TEMPO, meaning the same exact beats per minute. That is exclusive from time signature. That is no coincidence.

It's pretty clear that you and I aren't even having the same discussion, if you're merely trying to venture a guess as to who will win in court, then you're probably right. You seem to know more about the law. I've never even read the law, and I'm not trying to guess as to what will happen.

What I'm trying to do is go back and look at exactly WHAT is similar between the two songs.

1. They have the same chord progression.
2. Both songs use the same 3 note melody as a hook.

---------------------------------
Edit: I feel bad for going on the attack
---------------------------------

I'd still like to point out that the tempo of the two songs as they were recorded are NOT the same. The "mashup" that has been posted on youtube used programs to speed up Satriani's song and slow down Coldplay's song so that they would match.

BigMeatballDave 12-07-2008 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 5273665)
For once, I totally agree with everything Dane has said about something.

As a musician, I cannot fathom how anyone can NOT hear the obvious similarities.

I am NOT a musician and I cannot fathom how anyone can NOT hear the obvious similarities...:)

Silock 12-07-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMc (Post 5274861)
I'm surprised that such a hotshot hollywood executive who knows more about IP than but a mere few on the planet (earth) would use a case to make a point when he wasn't aware that the case didn't actually make it to judgement.

If they didn't have a case, why would they have settled? That doesn't make any sense. If they could have won, they would have.

DaneMcCloud 12-07-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcan (Post 5274986)
Okay. If that's against the law, then whatever... You would know better than I would. What I'm saying is that it SHOULDN'T be against the law. That's an opinion.

If the law didn't state "Lyric and Melody", then it would be legal to steal the melody of any song and use it in another. The overwhelming majority of music listeners (non-musicians) identify a song by its melody, not the underlying chord protection.

So essentially in your world, the person who created the unique melody wouldn't be protected by law. And intellectual property would have no value.

No thanks.

Taco John 12-07-2008 06:36 PM

Why is it that every thread Dane gets involved in, there's a 50% chance that it's going to devolve into a pissing match about just how cool he thinks he is?

DaneMcCloud 12-07-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taco John (Post 5277280)
Why is it that every thread Dane gets involved in, there's a 50% chance that it's going to devolve into a pissing match about just how cool he thinks he is?

Every thread?

This from Taco John?

ROFL

mcan 12-07-2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 5276189)
If the law didn't state "Lyric and Melody", then it would be legal to steal the melody of any song and use it in another. The overwhelming majority of music listeners (non-musicians) identify a song by its melody, not the underlying chord protection.

So essentially in your world, the person who created the unique melody wouldn't be protected by law. And intellectual property would have no value.

No thanks.

See, this is more the discussion I was hoping for. I went a little overboard on the attack last night. Deleting soon.

I don't think that the melody has been "stolen" enough to prove that there was any intent to steal. Those first three notes are blatantly and obviously the same. That's what Joe's suing for. I just think that's a bit too stringent of a law, and it does all songwriters everywhere a disservice. How many notes in a row are too many. Two notes in a row can't be the line, or else every single interval would already be copywritten. I think the standard for accusing somebody of stealing should be set way higher. Maybe 5 or 7 identical notes in a row. And probably a lot higher than that if the song is in a straight and common key or if the melody consists entirely of rest tones of the chord. There's just no way that a musician can still be a decent artist and bear the burden of knowing every single possibly combination of 3 notes that's been used by every previous musician that's come before him.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-07-2008 07:37 PM

I call Artist Importance Priority:

Satriani is a virtuoso and composer.

Coldplay is a quirky, snooze-fest band that for some reason have garnered a rep as something akin to Pink Floyd.

Judgement: PLAINTIFF.

TinyEvel 12-07-2008 08:50 PM

Has anyone posted the "getcha popcorn" smiley yet?

Because if not...

:popcorn: