ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs ****Official "I hate Luke Joeckel as a prospect" thread**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271277)

confused 03-18-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9512120)
He isn't even the best tackle on his college team. Jake Matthews is ten times the prospect Jockel is.

In what aspect? Athletically? Joeckel blows him out of the water. Run Blocking? Joeckel wins. Pass blocking? Joeckel's arguably the best in the nation. He'll be a top 5 offensive tackle in a matter of a few seasons.

Sweet Daddy Hate 03-18-2013 08:08 PM

Sweet Jesus; a Jokle Homer! They actually exist!
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR 03-18-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9511718)
Here's the problem I have, SNR, with you and the Joeckel-bashers: you are all Geno-lovers.

While there's nothing wrong with being a basher of a prospect on his own merits, or a lover of another player, the problem I have is that, this offseason, the hatred for one player is inextricably connected to the love for another.

And that's bullshit, because it's as naked as double standards get.

Joeckel is a really good prospect, but he's got warts. We know them well, we've debated them.

But so does ****ing Geno Smith. And to coopt your verbage, you're more than willing to shit all over an imperfect but great prospect to go balls deep into another imperfect but great prospect.

Given the choice between the two, I'd take Geno 10 times out of 10.

But that alone doesn't make Joeckel an inadequate prospect.

Well... no. Not really.

This has everything to do with the hypocrisy I see with Andy Reid not liking Winston and Albert because of their strong preference to the zone blocking scheme, and only a tiny bit (less than 1%) is because I'm jaded.

I can't stand the fact that OT is going to be our pick, even after the trade down. To be honest, it makes me ****ing furious. But beyond THAT, if you're going to pull this switcheroo, which Reid is apparently going to make happen, you better make damn sure it's to get the kind of OT you want, not just because one guy is the perceived best one. That means you better go get an OT that's more Jon Runyan. And that's absolutely NOT what they're getting in Joeckel.

Apart from that, I have serious questions about Joeckel's ability to adjust to the NFL based on what I saw with Fran ****ing Tarkenton Jr. back there. And this is where some of the perceived jadedness might come in just because he's not Geno. It's not just that. It's the fact that Joeckel is FAR from the sure thing that is being assured about him from Kiper and others. Again, rarely do you find an OT prospect who is that sure thing.

That comes back to the QB decision. So yes, you're half right. I'm far more upset that Joeckel doesn't necessarily suck, but he'll need time to adjust. If you're going to do that, you may as well go with the more athletically and mentally gifted guy in Fisher or even Johnson. And it's the fact that his gay fat pudgy ass is being talked about as the "obvious" choice for us that makes me upset.

He's just not worth the #1 overall pick. Not as an OT, and not compared to other players in this draft. But that's the conversation, isn't it?

RealSNR 03-18-2013 08:10 PM

I'll make a bet with anyone here should the Chiefs draft Joeckel that he struggles big time his rookie year. We can use sacks allowed or PFF numbers as the determining factor.

Nightfyre 03-18-2013 08:11 PM

I wonder if Fluker could pull off LT... He might be athletic enough... And available say, where we were picking at 34.

keg in kc 03-18-2013 08:11 PM

I don't hate him, but everything that's been said about Geno Smith by the people too chickenshit to take a QB high is triply true of Joeckel. He's just another guy. Any other draft class and he's going in the 20s or the early second.

Imon Yourside 03-18-2013 08:14 PM

Sucks...next.

Saccopoo 03-18-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9511811)
Why?

He's not a Top 5 LT.

He's never been within a stone's throw of being All Pro.

That's what Joeckel projects to be. He's not going to be an All Pro, but he'll consistently be the #7 or #8 best LT in the league.

You'd take Branden Albert at #1 overall this year, knowing what you know now.

I'd be willing to take Joeckel for the same reason.

I just wouldn't be very happy about it.

I don't know man...

He's not even the best tackle on his college team. Matthews, in the few full games I watched of A&M, controlled the point of attack better, showed better power and better awareness at the second level and versus stunts.

Joeckel just seems like a "meh."

He's definitely not a Thomas or Okung. Not even close. He lacks the power and athleticism of those two and that's what makes you a top tackle in the league. I don't think he's as good as Anthony Costanzo, Nate Solder or Matt Kalil.

If you want to know who he reminds me of is another very highly thought of spread system guy that the scouts thought had tons of potential but lack of those elite measurables, athleticism, strength - Jason Smith of the Rams.

Quote:

Positives: Tall, athletic left tackle prospect. ... Excellent straight-line speed and hustle, getting downfield on screens and long runs. ... Can pull and trap, running smoothly and adjusting to oncoming defenders. ... Moves to the second level quickly, using good angles to keep linebackers out of the play. ... Should work well in zone-blocking schemes with his ability to lock onto defenders and move. ... Gets down quickly to cut block despite his height. ... Adjusts well to outside blitzers. ... Willing to throw his man to the ground and keep him there. ... Has made significant improvement in terms of technique and strength over the past two years at left tackle.

Negatives: Typically operates out of a two-point stance for Baylor. ... Raw in his pass-set technique, standing a bit upright and backpedaling instead of sliding to mirror his man. ... Locks onto his man at first, but eventually loses his balance and grip due to his average upper-body strength and footwork. ... Does not have much of a punch in pass protection. ... Can lose the hands battle on the line. ... Could use a bit more bulk in the lower body to be more effective as a drive blocker. ... Could be moved inside to left guard for a zone-blocking team.

Reads just like Joeckels:

Quote:

Strengths
Technically-sound left tackle prospect. Plays with good bend and a very wide base in pass protection in spite of his long legs. Moves feet quickly and stays in balance, rarely giving up the edge and pulling off the down block/outside blitz pick-up admirably. Good timing and strength on his punch, possesses good hand placement and will reset them to maintain distance. Recovers quickly if his misses his punch, stays on his man. Gets after his man in the run game, has foot quickness to get correct angle and keeps them moving to sustain the block. Good power step inside to choke off inside spin moves. Capable cut-blocker. Excellent athleticism and foot speed, showing the ability to mirror and stay in front of many talented pass rushers over his three years starting.

Weaknesses
Does not possess elite upper or lower-body strength; only adequate as a drive-blocker and can be pushed back by better defensive ends and shed in the run game. Foot quickness is good, but does not execute the reach block as often as you’d like. Overextends his punch on occasion, vulnerable to a rip move outside or spin inside. Played exclusively in a two-point stance and can get caught playing upright. Due to Manziel’s ability to break the pocket and scramble, did not frequently face pass rushers that challenged him hard upfield.

Their combine results are nearly identical as well.

Joeckel:
40 yard: 5.30
Bench: 27 reps
Vertical: 28.5
Broad: 106.5
3 Cone: 7.4
20 Yard: 4.68

Smith:
40 yard: 5.22
Bench: 33 reps
Vertical: 24.0
Broad: 96.0
3 Cone: 7.53
20 Yard: 4.69

That doesn't scream "Top 10 OT" to me. That speaks of the potential for mediocrity.

hometeam 03-18-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconFan2 (Post 9512097)
"Luke Joeckel sucks because his name doesn't rhyme with Reno Zmith"

"I wrote 3 pages in my journal today about Geno Smith. One of them was a love poem in the form of Haiku"

"Why won't Geno Smith return my fan mail? I wonder what type of boxers he wears...."

-The VAST majority of Joeckel phobics on this damn board. Flame on pussyfarts.

This is the **** Luke Jokel thread. Pay attention.

RealSNR 03-18-2013 08:19 PM

That's a pretty depressing report, Sac.

I SERIOUSLY hope we trade down now. Just so we can avoid the abortion that is Luke Joeckel

Saccopoo 03-18-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9511945)
John Tait 2.0

Not even close.

Tait was a man coming out of college. Great power.

And he was one of, if not the best right tackle in the NFL.

I remember him blocking three guys at once. Just stoned them. He was a big reason for the Bears successful run at the SB that year.

Saccopoo 03-18-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9512171)
I wonder if Fluker could pull off LT... He might be athletic enough... And available say, where we were picking at 34.

Maybe, but Barrett Jones certainly can. He has already won the Outland Trophy playing at left tackle his junior year. As well as being named first team All-American at LG his sophomore year and at Center his Senior year.

Barrett Jones is a ****ing stud horse.

Tribal Warfare 03-18-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9512200)
Not even close.

Tait was a man coming out of college. Great power.

And he was one of, if not the best right tackle in the NFL.

I remember him blocking three guys at once. Just stoned them. He was a big reason for the Bears successful run at the SB that year.

Tait's write up was the same as Joeckel's too thought of as a little soft attitude wise hence him dropping to KC to the 14th overall instead of the projected top 5 pick that most draftniks had him mocked at.

Saccopoo 03-18-2013 08:34 PM

The nice thing about this thread was being able to watch Jon Bostic. Holy balls, does that guy play fast for a thumper. I'm going to be a little pissed off if we pass on that guy with our third rounder.

Dave Lane 03-18-2013 08:58 PM

**** Luke Jackoff see my sig