ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Hypothetical: Get your time travel assignment here. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308248)

Rasputin 06-12-2017 12:07 PM

Snakes I hate snakes.

Mizzou_8541 06-12-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 12912974)
Good stuff. In!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12913031)
You might want to bring your own fire. 45,984 BC. That one should be fun.

The location I'm going to choose is Jerimalai Cave region in East Timor. I'm choosing this location because:

1) Given that this was during an ice age, the location of East Timor in the Pacific seems less cold than say, Doggerland, where I also would have liked to have visited in 45,984 BC.
2) They totally ignored and segregated the hobbit-like species from the nearby island of Flores. Only in Middle Earth were hobbits viewed favorably, and these inhabitants of Jerimalai were no different. Nobody wants their kind here.
3) They are thought to be the first people to utilize deep-sea fishing methods. This is what I will try to document. Who wouldn't want to spend all day documenting the discovery of deep-sea fishing, lounging on a boat in the middle of the ocean?

MagicHef 06-12-2017 12:10 PM

Yes, please.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 12913154)
I'm sure my skills as a lawyer and with no mechanical aptitude whatsoever will be of tremendous use in whatever year you put me in. Hopefully I can bring an assistant -- someone that gives me at least some chance of surviving more than three days -- but assistant or not, I'm IN!

(more adventuresome than smart, at least here on Fantasy Island...)

I bet your lawyering skills will serve you well in ... um ... 18175 BC.

Does law skill include any courses in working flint or sharpening spears?

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 12913165)
Yes, please.

446 AD is your research assignment. I bet there's a lot of good Roman debauchery then.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 12913164)
The location I'm going to choose is Jerimalai Cave region in East Timor. I'm choosing this location because:

1) Given that this was during an ice age, the location of East Timor in the Pacific seems less cold than say, Doggerland, where I also would have liked to have visited in 45,984 BC.
2) They totally ignored and segregated the hobbit-like species from the nearby island of Flores. Only in Middle Earth were hobbits viewed favorably, and these inhabitants of Jerimalai were no different. Nobody wants their kind here.
3) They are thought to be the first people to utilize deep-sea fishing methods. This is what I will try to document. Who wouldn't want to spend all day documenting the discovery of deep-sea fishing, lounging on a boat in the middle of the ocean?

Oh, I'm really curious about those hobbit people. That's a great choice. I hope Kimodo Island was still connected to Flores Island at that point so you can see hobbits fighting dragons.

Steron 06-12-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12913045)
1146 AD. I bet they had great chamber music to study. Maybe some knights and stuff. And god only knows what was going on in China and Japan.

Weren't the Crusades going on then? That might be an option.

I'm assuming if you die in the past, you're dead in your own time? We can't alter the timeline though. If I were to die while on assignment it would alter the timeline of everyone I've ever interacted with. My head hurts. Maybe they can drill a hole in my head in 1146 and relieve the pressure?

FlintHillsChiefs 06-12-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12913134)
I bet there weren't terrorists there then, though.

Oh, who am I kidding? There's probably always been terrorists there.

Of course, you didn't have Islam so they were probably blowing up stuff for some camel god or something.

Assyria and Egypt were beating the hell of out each other then. The Scythians invented the saddle (without stirrups) in 700 BC. Can I move to Greece, add stirrups to the saddles and take over Babylon, Egypt and Assyria?

Beef Supreme 06-12-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 12913184)
Assyria and Egypt were beating the hell of out each other then. The Scythians invented the saddle (without syrups) in 700 BC. Can I move to Greece, add syrups to the saddles and take over Babylon, Egypt and Assyria?

That would be amazing if adding "syrups" to a saddle helped you in your quest for domination. If you added pancakes, maybe.

FlintHillsChiefs 06-12-2017 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12913188)
That would be amazing if adding "syrups" to a saddle helped you in your quest for domination. If you added pancakes, maybe.

ROFLROFLROFL Stirrups I meant!

MagicHef 06-12-2017 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12913171)
446 AD is your research assignment. I bet there's a lot of good Roman debauchery then.

Hmm..

War between Irish and Anglo-Saxons in Britain
War between Huns and Romans in Eastern Europe
Massacre of Buddhists in China

I think I'll take your advice and spend my year in a non-disputed part of the Roman empire. Let's say Naples.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steron (Post 12913181)
Weren't the Crusades going on then? That might be an option.

I'm assuming if you die in the past, you're dead in your own time? We can't alter the timeline though. If I were to die while on assignment it would alter the timeline of everyone I've ever interacted with. My head hurts. Maybe they can drill a hole in my head in 1146 and relieve the pressure?

Oh, yeah, it seems like you're in prime Crusade-watching season.

I'll assume that you can't die in the past. It's got something to do with how your cells transmogrify in the time travel process.

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlintHillsChiefs (Post 12913184)
Assyria and Egypt were beating the hell of out each other then. The Scythians invented the saddle (without stirrups) in 700 BC. Can I move to Greece, add stirrups to the saddles and take over Babylon, Egypt and Assyria?

I wonder how long the saddle was around before stirrups were invented. It seems like it should be a fast transition, but I don't know how inventing worked back then.

FlintHillsChiefs 06-12-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 12913206)
I wonder how long the saddle was around before stirrups were invented. It seems like it should be a fast transition, but I don't know how inventing worked back then.

Actually a lot of civilizations didn't make that logical leap for a long time. So I can please do it? ROFL

Rain Man 06-12-2017 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 12913200)
Hmm..

War between Irish and Anglo-Saxons in Britain
War between Huns and Romans in Eastern Europe
Massacre of Buddhists in China

I think I'll take your advice and spend my year in a non-disputed part of the Roman empire. Let's say Naples.

I'm looking at this timeline and you might want to have your stuff packed up to leave quickly before 447 comes around. Attila is on his way.

http://www.novaroma.org/camenaeum/RomanTimeline.txt