ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science RIP Stephen Hawking (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314406)

kysirsoze 03-14-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13468740)
I'm certainly no authority on the most prominent physicists, but I have to imagine that there are quite a few guys out there doing really great work. Hawking was brilliant, but he gained a lot of celebrity due to his condition that elevated awareness of his work. Nothing wrong with that, but it's more an issue of who the next guy will be to really keep the public's imagination than who is actually making key discoveries.

Not saying he'll ever be the star the Hawking was, but Neil deGrasse Tyson is probably the best bet.

ptlyon 03-14-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13468740)
I'm certainly no authority on the most prominent physicists, but I have to imagine that there are quite a few guys out there doing really great work. Hawking was brilliant, but he gained a lot of celebrity due to his condition that elevated awareness of his work. Nothing wrong with that, but it's more an issue of who the next guy will be to really keep the public's imagination than who is actually making key discoveries.

Al Gore of course

luv 03-14-2018 12:39 PM

Whenever a celebrity's RIP thread gets started, I don't think I've seen any "they didn't believe in God" or "so-and-so was better" type of posts. Typically, people post their RIPs, say what they liked about the person, and then go their merry way. I wonder what it is that makes people hate so much? It's like they have to bring him down a notch or make his life out to be less than it was. It's not just here, either. I've noticed a lot of this on social media.

kysirsoze 03-14-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13468754)
Whenever a celebrity's RIP thread gets started, I don't think I've seen any "they didn't believe in God" or "so-and-so was better" type of posts. Typically, people post their RIPs, say what they liked about the person, and then go their merry way. I wonder what it is that makes people hate so much? It's like they have to bring him down a notch or make his life out to be less than it was. It's not just here, either. I've noticed a lot of this on social media.

Because many people are insecure about their religious beliefs and intelligence. For someone like that, he threatened both.

Baby Lee 03-14-2018 12:44 PM

Quote:

To be fair, how many celeb deaths have we gone through with vocal atheists or a life in the conversation regarding being a genius?

If we don't want criticism to come up in remembrance threads, we probably shouldn't invite sentiments that the deceased was superior to those of us remaining either.

And it's not like we haven't had vocal criticism in other spheres for the newly deceased. Billy Graham, Nancy Reagan, Margaret Thatcher spring immediately to mind.

BigRedChief 03-14-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmahaChief (Post 13468689)
And this is important why?

simple explanation:

68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.

Amnorix 03-14-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

It's not. The sun and all the stars rotate around the Earth, and scientific knowledge is useless to mankind.

Now go back to your sports and beer and forget about the rest. We'll take care of it.

:shake:

Beef Supreme 03-14-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13468784)
simple explanation:

68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe.

To be fair, that didn't say dick about the importance of it.

DaFace 03-14-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 13468746)
Not saying he'll ever be the star the Hawking was, but Neil deGrasse Tyson is probably the best bet.

As a communicator? Sure. He's not doing much groundbreaking research these days though, as far as I know.

Michio Kaku's a nice blend of both researcher and communicator.

DaFace 03-14-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

If a requirement to investigate our world was that the results of that investigation must have a directly-applicable purpose, we'd still be in the stone age.

Scientists figure shit out. It's the engineers' jobs to figure out what to do with it.

ptlyon 03-14-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13468789)

Without it we would DIE

kysirsoze 03-14-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13468790)
As a communicator? Sure. He's not doing much groundbreaking research these days though, as far as I know.

Michio Kaku's a nice blend of both researcher and communicator.

That's true. Tyson is more Carl Sagan than Stephen Hawking.

BigRedChief 03-14-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13468789)

you want to write a dissertation on a football BB?

If you dont get why thats important, then you should just move on to something simpler you might understand and enjoy, like a nice set of boobs.

Eleazar 03-14-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Whenever a celebrity's RIP thread gets started, I don't think I've seen any "they didn't believe in God" or "so-and-so was better" type of posts. Typically, people post their RIPs, say what they liked about the person, and then go their merry way.

You must be new here.

Eleazar 03-14-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13468768)
To be fair, how many celeb deaths have we gone through with vocal atheists or a life in the conversation regarding being a genius?

If we don't want criticism to come up in remembrance threads, we probably shouldn't invite sentiments that the deceased was superior to those of us remaining either.

And it's not like we haven't had vocal criticism in other spheres for the newly deceased. Billy Graham, Nancy Reagan, Margaret Thatcher spring immediately to mind.

Billy Graham (and his death thread) haven't been in the ground yet for 3 weeks, and nobody remembers the planet dumping on him?

We should expect less when a rough equivalent humanist dies, but really, did anyone expect anything less?

I'm not sure if anyone could be named who CP wouldn't trash in their death thread. There's probably no one with any sort of notoriety that wouldn't get trashed here by a determined few.