ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Movies (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=172245)

KCChiefsMan 04-11-2010 04:17 PM

my new hobby is to write a review on netflix immediately after watching a movie. I'm not a good writer, I know that.

500 Days of Summer

You know, I guess I didn't get what the significance was of the whole 500 days thing. It took him 1 year and a half to meet Zooey, get with her, get over her and then meet the the chick from Friday Night Lights? There is something about Zooey Deschanel that bothers me a bit, she's very attractive , but I feel like she is trying too hard to appeal to the artsy-fartsy crowd and I don't like that about her. 500 Days of Summer, a film about a boy who seems like a big crybaby about women and he falls in love with a cool girl who doesn't want a relationship and doesn't believe in love, very cliche. They date without a label for a while and then one day she leaves and he's hurt over it. She suddenly gets married and the end. I liked the acting from the boy from 3rd Rock and the directing was pretty good for what it was. There was good chemistry between the actors, but something big felt missing from this love story that claims at the beginning that it's not a love story. 2.5 stars.

Silock 04-11-2010 04:34 PM

I liked 500 Days of Summer. I thought it was really funny. The Han Solo thing had me LOL'ing.

Silock 04-11-2010 04:35 PM

BTW, finally got around to watching Zombieland. Dig it. Also, a very funny movie.

KCChiefsMan 04-11-2010 04:38 PM

ya, Zombieland was awesome!

Miles 04-11-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6666741)
BTW, finally got around to watching Zombieland. Dig it. Also, a very funny movie.

The first 30 or so minutes introducing the characters and rules were classic. Loved stuff like the "double tap" in writing to point out the Woody Harrelson character using it.

Miles 04-11-2010 04:43 PM

Speaking of Woody Harrelson he has somewhat surprisingly turned into a damn good actor over the past 5 or so years.

Silock 04-11-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6666757)
The first 30 or so minutes introducing the characters and rules were classic. Loved stuff like the "double tap" in writing to point out the Woody Harrelson character using it.

Yeah. I especially loved the Cardio bit at the beginning, where he was running laps in the parking lot to outrun the zombies to get back into his car. Funny, funny stuff.

ragedogg69 04-11-2010 05:56 PM

Been watching movies all weekend with the girlfriend.

Tin Man: Great wizard of Oz remake. She loved it.

Let the Right one In: Best vampire movie in a while. Loved that netflix streaming has the subtitled version to stream rather than the dub. GF said twilight ripped off alot from LTROI. Dunno.

Seven Pounds: I thought it was under rated. Much better than I thought it would be.

Dr. Horrible's sing along Blog: For what it is, its brilliant. Had to convince the gf to give it a try. She didnt like the ending tho.

noa 04-11-2010 06:26 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

patteeu 04-11-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6666698)
my new hobby is to write a review on netflix immediately after watching a movie. I'm not a good writer, I know that.

500 Days of Summer

You know, I guess I didn't get what the significance was of the whole 500 days thing. It took him 1 year and a half to meet Zooey, get with her, get over her and then meet the the chick from Friday Night Lights? There is something about Zooey Deschanel that bothers me a bit, she's very attractive , but I feel like she is trying too hard to appeal to the artsy-fartsy crowd and I don't like that about her. 500 Days of Summer, a film about a boy who seems like a big crybaby about women and he falls in love with a cool girl who doesn't want a relationship and doesn't believe in love, very cliche. They date without a label for a while and then one day she leaves and he's hurt over it. She suddenly gets married and the end. I liked the acting from the boy from 3rd Rock and the directing was pretty good for what it was. There was good chemistry between the actors, but something big felt missing from this love story that claims at the beginning that it's not a love story. 2.5 stars.

I think your writing is fine, but I'd try to avoid spoilers (like the part about her getting married) if possible.

Miles 04-11-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6666698)

Writing about anything when you give a shit about how it reads is a good way to work on it.

NewChief 04-11-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6667063)
Writing about anything when you give a shit about how it reads is a good way to work on it.

This. I'm sort of obsessed with this, because I'm an English teacher. Study after study shows that people actually caring about what they're writing and how they present themselves in writing is the essential step to them becoming good writers. How many people do you know (hell... how many of you?) couldn't write worth a shit until you entered into your field of study or current job and then suddenly... you became a better writer? Until what you're writing is something you're invested in... it's hard to become a better writer. This is why teaching writing to teenagers is such a hard job. I have your kids that care... and then I have the majority of kids who don't care. Which is why so many teachers resort to "soft" writing (introspective personal narratives) in an effort to get the kids to write about something that matters to them. This often ends up in shitty writing because the kids don't care and the subject/topic assigned has no rigor. Writing pedagogy is a Catch-22.

Sure-Oz 04-12-2010 11:42 AM

Watched 'The Informant'

It wasn't quite as funny as i thought it would be, it caught my interest initially but then half way through i was wanting it to end. Worth a rent, if you like Damon.

Watched 'The boys are back',

pretty good flick, nothing ground breaking but a little sad, worth a rent. Clive Owen was pretty good in it.

irishjayhawk 04-12-2010 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6667000)
I think your writing is fine, but I'd try to avoid spoilers (like the part about her getting married) if possible.

Personally, I avoid plot summaries because they inherently contain spoilers.

KevB 04-12-2010 06:11 PM

I watched Hard Candy a few nights ago with Ellen Page....that's one twisted film. I vaguely knew what it was about going in, but still wasn't totally prepared. It's hard to give it a rating. I nearly turned the channel a couple of times, but felt compelled to see it through. I'd probably give it 6 stars out of 10. Kudos to the cast for tackling very difficult material, but not the kind of movie I want to see very often.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2010 06:06 PM

Bad Lieutenant 2: Wow kids, don't do drugs. Apparently they cause nonsensical reptile fantasy.

Reaper16 04-15-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6677803)
Bad Lieutenant 2: Wow kids, don't do drugs. Apparently they cause nonsensical reptile fantasy.

IGUANA CAM!

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6677885)
IGUANA CAM!

I actually laughed out loud after the fisrt minute or so of Iguana Vision (TM)

Fire Me Boy! 04-15-2010 07:02 PM

Just finished Brothers - I was impressed. I like those character dramas, though, and I enjoyed it. I think it works because of the performances by Portman, Gyllenhaal and Maguire. Without those three, I think it comes off as a soap opera, but on their shoulders it's quite good.

IMHO.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-15-2010 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6678027)
Just finished Brothers - I was impressed. I like those character dramas, though, and I enjoyed it. I think it works because of the performances by Portman, Gyllenhaal and Maguire. Without those three, I think it comes off as a soap opera, but on their shoulders it's quite good.

IMHO.

Portman was so hot.

Miles 04-15-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

IMHO.

Agree. The acting by the leads is pretty much what made it work well enough. The original was very similar but seemed to be without the heavy handed soapy shit that the remake was close to venturing into.

Fire Me Boy! 04-16-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6678418)
Portman is so hot.

FYP.

Reaper16 04-16-2010 01:47 PM

John Woo's Red Cliff is kind of badass. I'd call it uneven and poorly paced but I enjoyed it anyway because I love the setting of Three Kingdoms-era China. Anyone who has played the video game franchises Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Dynasty Warriors will know the characters already.

KCChiefsMan 04-16-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

IMHO.

I thought Portman was a bad choice, I honestly do think she is just too hot for that role. She's a great actress and she did a good job, but they should have made her look more like a home wife or found a home wife looking girl. It bothered me for some strange reason, but I really liked it nevertheless. The first time I ever saw Tobey Maguire act

patteeu 04-16-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6680771)
I thought Portman was a bad choice, I honestly do think she is just too hot for that role. She's a great actress and she did a good job, but they should have made her look more like a home wife or found a home wife looking girl. It bothered me for some strange reason, but I really liked it nevertheless. The first time I ever saw Tobey Maguire act

What makes you think home wives (which I assume means the same thing as "housewife" so correct me if I'm wrong) can't be hot?

ChiefFripp 04-16-2010 06:28 PM

Hot Tub Time Machine was badass!

KCChiefsMan 04-16-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 6680793)
What makes you think home wives (which I assume means the same thing as "housewife" so correct me if I'm wrong) can't be hot?

they aren't going to be that hot, she played a military house wife who is alone trying to raise kids and working hard at it. But yet she had time to get her hair done everyday and wear makeup. I don't buy it.

Galileo Humpkins 04-16-2010 07:46 PM

Run, Fat Boy, Run -- This film had played various times on television but I intentionally skipped over it as it didn't have much appeal, especially being directed by David Schwimmer and classified as the cliché romance/comedy. It featured a redeeming quality, however, and that being Simon Pegg of Shaun of the Dead fame. Pegg plays an ordinary guy (a bit chubby, has bad habits, occasionally impersonates Julia Roberts in The Runaway Bride by ditching his fiancee on their wedding day. You know, the usual.) and, per stereotypical Hollywood love story, does wacky things to prove to his love interest that he has "changed."

It's quite predictable and okay for a few sporadic laughs.

Defendor -- This may be favorite Woody Harrelson film next to After the Sunset and Zombieland. I really don't understand why it's listed under the comedy genre, though. Sure, it's comedic in some aspects, but the story is quite "dark" as it progresses. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it.

Sure-Oz 04-16-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 6680855)
they aren't going to be that hot, she played a military house wife who is alone trying to raise kids and working hard at it. But yet she had time to get her hair done everyday and wear makeup. I don't buy it.

lol, i know some hot military houswives that are as good looking if not better than her. It can happen....

irishjayhawk 04-17-2010 11:57 AM

How to Train Your Dragon holds up on the third viewing.

Sherlock Holmes (thus far, as I had to pause it after I was too tired to complete) has superb acting and a below average storyline. I still can't grasp Holmes as a fighter/explosions expert.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-17-2010 03:26 PM

Zombieland was great, IMO.

FWIW, I would strongly suggest that if you are fans of Super Troopers and you have a Blu Ray player that you buy the Blu Ray version. It is loaded with extra features, including a drinking game

ROFL

Fire Me Boy! 04-17-2010 07:45 PM

I just watched Antichrist.... what a ****ed up film.

KCChiefsMan 04-17-2010 10:34 PM

that movie paranormal activity was pretty intense, I got a kick out of it.

DMAC 04-19-2010 12:24 PM

Extract was very good. Starts out a bit slow, but it hits home with (I'm sure) a lot of men out there...

OnTheWarpath15 04-19-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6682772)

I've heard bits and pieces.

I can only assume it's not as ****ed up as Irreversible.

Fire Me Boy! 04-20-2010 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6686792)
I've heard bits and pieces.

I can only assume it's not as ****ed up as Irreversible.

The two scenes in Irreversible stick with me a lot longer than anything in Antichrist, but Antichrist as a whole is more messed up.

NewChief 04-20-2010 07:57 AM

Speaking of ****ed up. And you really do have to watch about halfway through the trailer to appreciate just how screwed up this movie concept is. Yuck.

<object width="450" height="304"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20378"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/20378" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="304" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Aries Walker 04-20-2010 03:07 PM

I watched 2012 last night. It was horrible. Don't waste your time.

Reaper16 04-20-2010 03:35 PM

Just watched The Blind Side. It was enjoyable enough. The film is narratively structured in too "Hollywood" of a way for the film to be anything other than average. No way did Sandra Bullock deserve an Oscar for her performance.

The neatest part of the film was the dedication to time-appropriate authenticity. Phil Fulmer, Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Tommy Tuberville and Huston Nutt were all representing the universities they were coaching when Oher was in high school. Fulmer and Saban were naturals on-camera, too.

NewChief 04-20-2010 04:50 PM

Hold on. Did everyone already know about the Human Centipede? Because if it wasn't already well-publicized, and it didn't even get a reply/comment... WTF?

blaise 04-20-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6689741)
Hold on. Did everyone already know about the Human Centipede? Because if it wasn't already well-publicized, and it didn't even get a reply/comment... WTF?

I watched the preview and read the wiki page. It's gross.

Reaper16 04-20-2010 05:46 PM

The demented doctor in Human Centipede has apparently never learned that most golden of rules: you never go ass to mouth.

Sure-Oz 04-20-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6689543)
Just watched The Blind Side. It was enjoyable enough. The film is narratively structured in too "Hollywood" of a way for the film to be anything other than average. No way did Sandra Bullock deserve an Oscar for her performance.

The neatest part of the film was the dedication to time-appropriate authenticity. Phil Fulmer, Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Tommy Tuberville and Huston Nutt were all representing the universities they were coaching when Oher was in high school. Fulmer and Saban were naturals on-camera, too.

It was solid, more like a sunday night movie on abc crap

Miles 04-20-2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 6689872)
I watched the preview and read the wiki page. It's gross.

Same here.

Miles 04-21-2010 03:02 AM

Just watched "Moon" again and still was still just as good.

Miles 04-21-2010 03:06 AM

Even if you didn't think "Moon" was outstanding what score was better last year?

Miles 04-21-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewPhin (Post 6688074)
Speaking of ****ed up. And you really do have to watch about halfway through the trailer to appreciate just how screwed up this movie concept is. Yuck.

Still a bit disturbed. And looked into the process...ugh.

Fire Me Boy! 04-21-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 6690913)
Just watched "Moon" again and still was still just as good.

I just noticed that Moon is on Netflix Instant Queue, for anyone that hasn't watched it yet.

Fire Me Boy! 04-22-2010 01:54 PM

I watched Coco avant Chanel with the wife last night, starring Audrey Tautou. First movie of her's I've seen that I didn't enjoy. It was marginally interesting, but I didn't connect with any of the characters and subsequently just didn't give a shit about any of it. It actually seemed like they weren't too interested in making you care about the characters.

Deberg_1990 04-22-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6691036)
I just noticed that Moon is on Netflix Instant Queue, for anyone that hasn't watched it yet.

yep...noticed it as well. Ill have to try and check it out this weekend.

I really wish Netflix would make more "new releases" available for instant viewing.

Reaper16 04-22-2010 02:18 PM

Coraline was fun. I don't think I'd want to watch it again, though.

Frazod 04-22-2010 02:22 PM

I've said it a dozen times, but Moon rocked. Awesome flick.

blaise 04-22-2010 02:25 PM

When I first saw there was a Nick Cage version of the Bad Lieutenant I thought it was a terrble idea, but now I kind of want to see it.

Reaper16 04-22-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 6696343)
When I first saw there was a Nick Cage version of the Bad Lieutenant I thought it was a terrble idea, but now I kind of want to see it.

Warner Herzog is the director. That should be enough to warrant a rental.

blaise 04-22-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6696382)
Warner Herzog is the director. That should be enough to warrant a rental.

That's why I had a change of mind.

Frazod 04-22-2010 02:54 PM

I've never seen the original with Harvey Keitel. It's on the Movies I Should Have Seen By Now list.

Simply Red 04-22-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 6689446)
I watched 2012 last night. It was horrible. Don't waste your time.

LOL

patteeu 04-22-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 6696331)
I've said it a dozen times, but Moon rocked. Awesome flick.

Repost x12

TrickyNicky 04-22-2010 04:59 PM

Black Dynamite was pretty damn funny. If this is any indication, Michael Jai White should be involved in more movies than just the Direct to DVD action-ers he's been cranking out since Spawn. He co-wrote too, I highly recommend it.

blazzin311 04-22-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 6696343)

I liked it...I thought Nic Cage did a hell of a job in it too for what it's worth. Definitely plays a dark character with a troubled past. One of his better movies in a while in my opinion. It's a bit of a trip though this movie (iguanas and such...you'll see what I mean). So just know that going into it and you should enjoy it, as I did.

Reaper16 04-23-2010 11:29 PM

The Princess and The Frog is visually stunning but the plot lacks a certain tension to propel it forward.

QuikSsurfer 04-23-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6682772)

very, very ****ed up...

blazzin311 04-24-2010 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 6707865)
very, very ****ed up...

Very ****ed up film is one thing... but was it a very good ****ed up film? That is the important question here? That's got William Dafoe in it correct? I think I recall hearing about it a while back. Don't know much about it though other than that.

Fire Me Boy! 04-24-2010 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin311 (Post 6708445)
Very ****ed up film is one thing... but was it a very good ****ed up film? That is the important question here? That's got William Dafoe in it correct? I think I recall hearing about it a while back. Don't know much about it though other than that.

I can't answer that question, if it was good or not. Disturbing, for sure.

Willem Dafoe is in it, and his performance is quite good.

Deberg_1990 04-24-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6707822)
The Princess and The Frog is visually stunning but the plot lacks a certain tension to propel it forward.

I thought it was just sort of blah......

blazzin311 04-24-2010 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 6708605)
I can't answer that question, if it was good or not. Disturbing, for sure.

Willem Dafoe is in it, and his performance is quite good.

Hmmmm.....might have to give it a gander and see what I think.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-24-2010 08:41 PM

Pirate Radio - meh.....5/10 Boring. Upon further research I see this film was recut after a poor UK showing, and it still sucks.

Silock 04-25-2010 12:08 AM

Just watched Avatar for the first time. Looks great on my TV and Blu-Ray, but man... WTF was the hype with this film? Predictable to every detail. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but holy ****! Totally lacking.

I liked it, but I'm glad I only spent $20 on the Blu-Ray and not $50 at the theater to see it.

KcMizzou 04-25-2010 12:43 AM

Good movie you've never heard of.... "I Sell the Dead"

See it, one way or another.

Nzoner 04-25-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6711615)
Pirate Radio - meh.....5/10 Boring. Upon further research I see this film was recut after a poor UK showing, and it still sucks.

Wow,I absolutely disagree,this one's going into my collection but then again I'm a music fanatic and thought that even though it was loosely based on a true story it was something completely new and refreshing.The soundtrack was great as well.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81WoHrF0A9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81WoHrF0A9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

KCChiefsMan 04-25-2010 08:58 AM

Ninja was a pretty fun kick ass movie. It had ninja's doing ninja shit and I thought it was pretty good! Don't expect any Oscar performances and you should enjoy it

DMAC 04-25-2010 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 6711970)
Just watched Avatar for the first time. Looks great on my TV and Blu-Ray, but man... WTF was the hype with this film? Predictable to every detail. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but holy ****! Totally lacking.

I liked it, but I'm glad I only spent $20 on the Blu-Ray and not $50 at the theater to see it.

You didnt see it in 3D. You missed out. You suck. :)

Silock 04-25-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 6712341)
You didnt see it in 3D. You missed out. You suck. :)

So I hear. WTF is the big ass deal with 3D, anyway? Those glasses give me a headache after like 10 minutes of sitting with my eyes crossed.

Jenson71 04-25-2010 01:15 PM

For all those who are into a deeper depth of film discussion and enjoy straying from the mainstream and box office hits (although that's certainly welcomed, too), I urge you to follow a new blog that features some of the most intelligent folks writing about movies I have yet encountered: http://idfilm.blogspot.com/

You can also check out their new discussion board: http://idfilm.proboards.com/index.cgi

I have been chatting with some of these guys for several years now, and they have taught me a good deal about art, criticism, and many other topics. If that's something you are interested in, dive in!

blazzin311 04-25-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nzoner (Post 6712306)
Wow,I absolutely disagree,this one's going into my collection but then again I'm a music fanatic and thought that even though it was loosely based on a true story it was something completely new and refreshing.The soundtrack was great as well.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81WoHrF0A9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81WoHrF0A9A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Agreed I loved it as well. I found the movie to be quite fun and the music was great as well. I happened to see a DVD screener of the UK version about 2 or 3 months perhaps before it was released in theatres here in the US and before it was recut. At the time I saw it, it was called "The Boat That Rocked" then they indeed switched to "Pirate Radio". So I don't know if I'd like the recut version more than the uncut version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 6712019)
Good movie you've never heard of.... "I Sell the Dead"

See it, one way or another.

Agreed. This one suprised me a bit. Way better than I expected!

XXXshogunXXX 04-26-2010 04:02 AM

Just finished watching redcliff part 2, Im still amazed by it all.

I actually forgive John Woo for making Windtalkers after this movie

This movie is amazing. i picked part I up at blockbuster and watched it at work. I had part 2 but realized I had to watch it on blu ray. This is the best movie in Ive seen in years, just oozes with epicness. I dont want to give anything away, but its a must watch

Reaper16 04-26-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XXXshogunXXX (Post 6715069)
Just finished watching redcliff part 2, Im still amazed by it all.

I actually forgive John Woo for making Windtalkers after this movie

This movie is amazing. i picked part I up at blockbuster and watched it at work. I had part 2 but realized I had to watch it on blu ray. This is the best movie in Ive seen in years, just oozes with epicness. I dont want to give anything away, but its a must watch

I just watched the U.S. theatrical cut on Blu-ray two weeks ago. This week I have the extended international version (split across 2 Blu-rays) coming in.

Anyone who has played a Dynasty Warriors or Romance of the Three Kingdoms game has to watch Red Cliff. Its totally a movie about (and setting up/contextualizing) the Battle of Chi Bi.

DeepPurple 04-26-2010 02:38 PM

Just watched last night "The Lovely Bones", this may not be for everyone. I immediately thought of Donnie Darko, it had the same style, sounds, erie effects, you name it, it was there. If you liked Donnie Darko and have a great sound system, then rent this film.

TLB is a murder mystery but without the who dunit, what it has is great visual and audio effects and a superb job by Stanley Tucci as the killer, not something I'm giving away. The victim in the movie provides the voice over and tells you from the beginning what happens to herself.

You may of seen Stanley as Meryl Streep's assistant in The Devil Wear Prada or as her husband in Julie and Julian, but you might not even recognize him in this one and he was nominated for best supporting actor. The film was directed by Peter Jackson. I've never seen any of the Lord of the Rings but did enjoy King Kong and District 9, so you can be aware that he doesn't just tell a story simply.

BTW, great older film I saw for the second time the other night. "Requeim for a Dream" from 2000 on HDNET. What really caught me this time was the soundtrack, yes it's great and really fits the story but it also reminded me a lot of the soundtrack that won an oscar a couple of years ago. I think it was the rap movie with Terrance Howard, I believe they stole their music from the Requiem soundtrack.

irishjayhawk 04-26-2010 02:41 PM

Clint Mansell is an amazing composer. Requiem is awesome but I think The Fountain goes above and beyond it.

And I have issues with TLB but not for what you're thinking. In fact, maybe I should write up my thoughts at some point.

Reaper16 04-26-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepPurple (Post 6716405)

BTW, great older film I saw for the second time the other night. "Requeim for a Dream" from 2000 on HDNET. What really caught me this time was the soundtrack, yes it's great and really fits the story but it also reminded me a lot of the soundtrack that won an oscar a couple of years ago. I think it was the rap movie with Terrance Howard, I believe they stole their music from the Requiem soundtrack.

:spock: