ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Offseason Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=303381)

DJ's left nut 12-08-2016 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12602904)
What is Dyson's value?

As for the Astros and Duffy, those ****ers are playing the cheap drum. They're doing it with Quintana. Not sure what the Sox are asking for him but Jeff Passan said they were getting offers of about 95% of what they got for Sale.

That's a stuff thing.

Quintana's effective but he's more of a smoke and mirrors lefty. Teams are notoriously skittish about guys like that in October. Every GM in baseball would prefer a power arm at the top of the rotation if they can get him come playoff baseball.

So while Quintana's performance has been anywhere from almost as good to slightly better than Sale's (depending on who you ask) and his contract is better, folks that are acquiring these guys are doing so with an eye on October and in October most organizations are looking for guys that can get it inside at 96 mph and sting those cold hands.

Maybe the right, maybe they're wrong. But it still shrinks the pool a bit and thus the quality of the offer you'll get.

Fansy the Famous Bard 12-08-2016 10:06 AM

If the Sox are able to trade Quintana as well, they should get a haul. His contract (much like Sale's) is an absolute bargain... and it's got 2 team options extending through 2020. I think next season he is only due like $7 mil. To put in perspective, that's less than we're paying Ian Kennedy... By Half.

That is sexy.

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12602923)
That's a stuff thing.

Quintana's effective but he's more of a smoke and mirrors lefty. Teams are notoriously skittish about guys like that in October. Every GM in baseball would prefer a power arm at the top of the rotation if they can get him come playoff baseball.

So while Quintana's performance has been anywhere from almost as good to slightly better than Sale's (depending on who you ask) and his contract is better, folks that are acquiring these guys are doing so with an eye on October and in October most organizations are looking for guys that can get it inside at 96 mph and sting those cold hands.

Maybe the right, maybe they're wrong. But it still shrinks the pool a bit and thus the quality of the offer you'll get.

Smoke and mirrors is completely false IMO. He's very good but just doesn't go deep enough into games. But he's consistent and smooth. He never got any recognition because he's had like 57 no decisions since 2012 man. That's ****ing crazy.

I also have always liked Q over Sale because he's more level headed and can work out of jams better than Sale. Q has big brass balls and isn't afraid of anything. Quintana is my favorite Sox player since Konerko retired.

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12602944)
If the Sox are able to trade Quintana as well, they should get a haul. His contract (much like Sale's) is an absolute bargain... and it's got 2 team options extending through 2020. I think next season he is only due like $7 mil. To put in perspective, that's less than we're paying Ian Kennedy... By Half.

That is sexy.

While Rick Hahn has sucked at free agency, even though his moves weren't bad they just didn't work out, he makes up for it with his ability to lock up players to team-friendly deals. That alone has helped reshape the franchise. The contracts Sale, Eaton and Quintana are on is incredible. The Sox have a new draft philosophy and Kenny Williams has taken a back seat finally. So they should be better going forward. Now, who knows how these prospects will work out. But I'm just glad they FINALLY picked a direction and will let Hahn do his job.

Prison Bitch 12-08-2016 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12602950)
his moves weren't bad they just didn't work out,.

:D

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12602955)
:D

It's the honest truth. They were praised nationally year in year out. FAs just suck when they get to Chicago lol (Dunn, Samardzija, LaRoche). However, Abreu, Melky and Robertson have been alright. Of course they have to overpay because it's free agency.

I'm just curious what the consensus from Royals fans is in terms of payroll and not spending this year?

DJ's left nut 12-08-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12602948)
Smoke and mirrors is completely false IMO. He's very good but just doesn't go deep enough into games. But he's consistent and smooth. He never got any recognition because he's had like 57 no decisions since 2012 man. That's ****ing crazy.

I also have always liked Q over Sale because he's more level headed and can work out of jams better than Sale. Q has big brass balls and isn't afraid of anything. Quintana is my favorite Sox player since Konerko retired.

He throws 92 and has plus command with a K/9 of less than 8. His SIERA, FIP AND xFIP are all a fair amount higher than his actual ERA which absolutely suggests he's a guy that's getting it done via strand rates and well-timed soft contact (as your 'gets out of jams better' comments notes). He's not overpowering guys

He's not Jamie Moyer but he's damn sure not Chris Sale in that regard. He's not a stuff lefty at all. He is a finesse lefty.

**** me you're defensive. No wonder you get your ass tossed from these threads.

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12602967)
He throws 92 and has plus command with a K/9 of less than 8. His SIERA, FIP AND xFIP are all a fair amount higher than his actual ERA which absolutely suggests he's a guy that's getting it done via strand rates and well-timed soft contact (as your 'gets out of jams better' comments notes). He's not overpowering guys

He's not Jamie Moyer but he's damn sure not Chris Sale in that regard. He's not a stuff lefty at all. He is a finesse lefty.

**** me you're defensive. No wonder you get your ass tossed from these threads.

I'm not defensive I just think Quintana is underrated. I'm not saying he's worth what we got for Sale but it's gota be somewhere in the ball park because of his production, age and contract.

The reason I like him over Sale is that Sale would get flustered after giving up a run or two and would pitch "angry" and blow up. Sale even said as much before that he needs to stop pitching angry at times. I just love Quintana's consistency and calm demeanor.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-p...o-be-sky-high/

Prison Bitch 12-08-2016 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 12602962)
FAs just suck when they get to Chicago lol

I agree, that's funny.

Quote:

I'm just curious what the consensus from Royals fans is in terms of payroll and not spending this year?
I think a much better question from Sux fans in terms of payroll is: how much have y'all wasted compared to KC?

2016: Sux: 99M Royals: 113M (Wins: 78 vs. 81)
2015: Sux: 115M Royals: 113M (Wins: 76 vs. 95)
2014: Sux: 92M Royals: 92M (Wins: 73 vs 89)
2013: Sux: 119M Royals: 81M (Wins: 63 vs 86)

AVG: Sux: 106M Royals: 100M (72 vs. 88)

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm#2013_payroll

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12602977)
I agree, that's funny.

I think a much better question from Sux fans in terms of payroll is: how much have y'all wasted compared to KC?

2016: Sux: 99M Royals: 113M (Wins: 78 vs. 81)
2015: Sux: 115M Royals: 113M (Wins: 76 vs. 95)
2014: Sux: 92M Royals: 92M (Wins: 73 vs 89)
2013: Sux: 119M Royals: 81M (Wins: 63 vs 86)

AVG: Sux: 106M Royals: 100M (72 vs. 88)

http://www.stevetheump.com/Payrolls.htm#2013_payroll

The Sox haven't signed a FA to a $100 million contract yet believe it or not. Abreu is the largest at $68 million and has been worth it, even with his atrocious defense. The year the Sox won the world series (2005) the payroll was $75,228,000-13th highest payroll. It's not my money they spend. At least they try and that's all I can ask for.

Sure-Oz 12-08-2016 11:07 AM

When do the meetings end tonight? Does Dyson get traded?

Mother****erJones 12-08-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12603021)
When do the meetings end tonight? Does Dyson get traded?

Yes, they end today and they had the rule 5 draft. They leave this afternoon IIRC.

sedated 12-08-2016 11:42 AM

Quote:

What kind of reeruned question is that? Doesn't every fan base wish their owner would spend more? Push payroll to $300 million for all I care.

Prison Bitch 12-08-2016 11:57 AM

It's also a dumb question since our payroll will be high again this year, prob close to the median, and much higher than his team's.

duncan_idaho 12-08-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

It's the honest truth. They were praised nationally year in year out. FAs just suck when they get to Chicago lol (Dunn, Samardzija, LaRoche). However, Abreu, Melky and Robertson have been alright. Of course they have to overpay because it's free agency.

If they're actually not increasing payroll - or, even worse, trimming - it's a tragedy. Without explanation. Inexcusable. Glass regressing significantly in his ability to balance short-term profit with long-term value.

They should spend intelligently. Not wildly... but intelligently.

---

Speaking of that, here's an outside-the-box idea that sprung up while checking out MLB Trade rumors...

The Mets are desperate to unload Jay Bruce. They want relief help. They aren't willing to take on Bruce's salary to dump him for prospects.

I'd propose swapping Joakim Soria - who, while he blew several games last year, still stacks up favorably in overall results and yearly salary with most of the guys remaining on the free agent market - for Bruce.

Now, that means taking on additional 2017 payroll - Bruce is making $13 million, vs. $8 million for Soria. But you still come out $5 million ahead over the next two years + Soria's buyout.

Plus, the Royals have trimmed some payroll in swapping Davis for Soler.

It would reduce some of KC's flexibility with the DH - basically, one of Cain, Bruce, Gordon or Soler would be DHing every day, and you'd need more Cain in CF... but it sure might help the offense to add a LH bat who has been very good against RHP in his career - .872 OPS last season, .817 over his career.

I don't love Bruce by himself, but 400 ABs of .800+ OPS against righthanders is intriguing when paired with dumping Soria's contract.