ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics New Apple Tablet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=222464)

WilliamTheIrish 02-02-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7399373)
I don't want to say I'm brilliant, or have any special abilities, but...if others said such things....

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/01/g...announced-tom/

The comments section of that article was just like reading an apple thread here.

"It's changed my life"!1111111

"It's a POS"!!!111

"Hater's gonna HATE"!!!!

WAAAAAHHHHH

WoodDraw 02-02-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7400411)
The comments section of that article was just like reading an apple thread here.

"It's changed my life"!1111111

"It's a POS"!!!111

"Hater's gonna HATE"!!!!

WAAAAAHHHHH

Yes, both groups really are insufferable.

"Android is OPEN"

--Okay, but not after the manufacturer throws their shitty skin on it and the carrier adds their bloatware. What good does that openness do me when I can't even get timely updates for my phone?

"Yes, but I've rooted my phone."

--Alright, **** off.

I do like Android though, and Google as a company. A lot of work remains to be done though. If anyone wants to watch, they're streaming on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/android

NewChief 02-02-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 7400439)
Yes, both groups really are insufferable.

"Android is OPEN"

--Okay, but not after the manufacturer throws their shitty skin on it and the carrier adds their bloatware. What good does that openness do me when I can't even get timely updates for my phone?

"Yes, but I've rooted my phone."

--Alright, **** off.

I do like Android though, and Google as a company. A lot of work remains to be done though. If anyone wants to watch, they're streaming on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/android

I'm the same way about google. I'm rooting for Android and am fine with it, but I'm also really, really sick of the Apple-haters who keep thinking that Apple is going to just magically go away and everyone is going to convert to Android en masse.

Apple doesn't suck. There may be parts of their devices that suck, but they also know how to deliver UI and high touch in a way that no one else does. Plus, they're just much better at marketing their brand (probably because they control it so tightly) than the million different "brands" that are trying to capitalize on Android.

It goes back to the iPod. People have claimed that there are tons of other devices out there that are superior and only idiots buy iPods. If that's the case, then the majority of consumers are idiots. And if that's the case, then why do people think that the idiots are going to suddenly change their consuming habits when it comes to their mobile devices?

WilliamTheIrish 02-02-2011 01:26 PM

I have to tell ya, I hate appple's price point on everything. The rest of the nerd-o-rama arguments don't really mean anything.

I got to use an i.Pad for two weeks and now I feel like I'm missing my wallet.

BUT, then I demo'd the Samsung tab. It's incredible. Every bit as good as the I.Pad and priced at $299. Until you add in a minimum of 29.95 data fee from Sprint. For two years. Add in the taxes and fees and it's closer to 35$ per month.

So I'm going to pick up an i.Pad. It's proven it's worth.

007 02-02-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7400634)
I have to tell ya, I hate appple's price point on everything. The rest of the nerd-o-rama arguments don't really mean anything.

I got to use an i.Pad for two weeks and now I feel like I'm missing my wallet.

BUT, then I demo'd the Samsung tab. It's incredible. Every bit as good as the I.Pad and priced at $299. Until you add in a minimum of 29.95 data fee from Sprint. For two years. Add in the taxes and fees and it's closer to 35$ per month.

So I'm going to pick up an i.Pad. It's proven it's worth.

Just curious, is the data plan required with the Samsung? $299 is my price point for a tablet but I only need it to be wifi capable and don't need 3G. I have said from the start, if the ipad dropped to $299 I would be in.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-02-2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7401075)
Just curious, is the data plan required with the Samsung? $299 is my price point for a tablet but I only need it to be wifi capable and don't need 3G. I have said from the start, if the ipad dropped to $299 I would be in.

I don't think it is, but it may affect the upfront price if not bought from a cell provider.

007 02-02-2011 04:57 PM

Where are you seeing it for 299. Just did a online search and the cheapest I am finding is $450

WoodDraw 02-02-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7401203)
Where are you seeing it for 299. Just did a online search and the cheapest I am finding is $450

$299 would be a 2-year-contract price, I'm sure.

WoodDraw 02-02-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7400578)
I'm the same way about google. I'm rooting for Android and am fine with it, but I'm also really, really sick of the Apple-haters who keep thinking that Apple is going to just magically go away and everyone is going to convert to Android en masse.

Apple doesn't suck. There may be parts of their devices that suck, but they also know how to deliver UI and high touch in a way that no one else does. Plus, they're just much better at marketing their brand (probably because they control it so tightly) than the million different "brands" that are trying to capitalize on Android.

It goes back to the iPod. People have claimed that there are tons of other devices out there that are superior and only idiots buy iPods. If that's the case, then the majority of consumers are idiots. And if that's the case, then why do people think that the idiots are going to suddenly change their consuming habits when it comes to their mobile devices?

iPhone's certainly hold their value much more than their Android brethren. It's easier since Apple can claim complete control, cutting the carriers out of everything effectively. And they have the experience, having dealt with developing operating systems for their hardware. Imagine if Apple only offered new versions of OS X to their upcoming refresh of laptops.

But when you have carriers, who care most about progressively locking users into contracts, and manufacturers like Samsung and HTC, who have never dealt with OS-style upgrades before, Apple starts to look good. Google has the Nexus S I suppose, but that's very different.

And I do think that will hurt Android over the long run. When Google has to rely on users buying new, very expensive phones to rollout their software upgrades, how can developers handle that? Look at Gingerbread: it's currently at 0.4%. Some companies are still releasing phones with 2.1!

DaFace 02-02-2011 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 7400578)

(Entirely my opinion rather than facts.)

I think we're really seeing Windows vs. Mac all over again. Apple really has the superior product when it comes to usability. They're also far more innovative with their products than their competitor. However, their level of innovation requires complete control over the hardware and some of the software in order to make sure things don't break all over the place.

Their competitor's software is much less refined, but can be used on a wide variety of hardware made by third parties. Therefore, it's being adopted like crazy, despite the fact that the product is less solid in terms of carrier support and upgrades.

In the end, Apple will probably still be very profitable for at least the short term because they can charge more for their products and have a great revenue stream coming from sales of other items like multimedia. However, they've already lost the market share battle, and that'll probably only get worse as time goes on.

Just like 15 years ago, I think that Android will eventually become the "standard" in terms of market share just because it's so widely available and easy for hardware manufacturers to adopt. But Apple will always have its following who would never consider using anything else.

I do think that Apple will survive MUCH better this time around just because of all of the other revenue streams they have associated with the i-whatevers. I also doubt their market share will dip below 10% like it did with the Mac. But their hardware model will always be a dual-edged sword.

WilliamTheIrish 02-03-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7401203)

Any Sprint store. Just took it back on Saturday.

Herzig 02-04-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 7381162)
Umm, it's cheaper than the 32GB iPad 3G... yes, the iPad without 3G starts at $500... but that's not exactly a fair comparison...

Again, I'll wait and see when it is actually on the market... so far I have been impressed with Android 3.0... but I need to have it in my hands before I declare it the far superior OS.

Have you thought of picking up a Nook Color(if you can find one since b&n pulled them off the shelves for 2 weeks). If you check android central, there is a honeycomb root for the color nook out there...just picked one up and I'm thinking about trying it out...not bad for a $250 tablet running honeycomb;)

Herzig 02-04-2011 02:41 PM

http://forum.androidcentral.com/barn...le-nook-color/

AustinChief 02-04-2011 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Herzig (Post 7406294)
Have you thought of picking up a Nook Color(if you can find one since b&n pulled them off the shelves for 2 weeks). If you check android central, there is honeycomb root for the color nook out there...just picked one up and I'm thinking about trying it out...not bad for a $250 tablet running honeycomb;)

Nice! Let me know how it works out and I may have to follow suit... Read today that Google is really ramping things up with Android... looks like Honeycomb will be out soon and Ice Cream Sandwich could be out as early as May.

JBucc 02-06-2011 07:42 PM

Looks like the Xoom is going to be $799, and will require you to pay for a month of 3g to unlock wifi. Truly going above and beyond to **** the consumer in the ass.

http://i.imgur.com/OcmJa.jpg

I might just get a Nook Color myself.