ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Joplin virtually destroyed by tornado (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245402)

CaliforniaChief 05-23-2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7658075)
yeah, it's on here, already. Pretty frightening.

My bad. I'm so sad for all of you that are affected by this.

Red Beans 05-23-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7658075)
yeah, it's on here, already. Pretty frightening.

That video was posted by a buddy of mine. We lived on the same block when we were in college, pretty much devastated. Holding down Kentucky St has a different meaning today.

CaliforniaChief 05-23-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Beans (Post 7658082)
That video was posted by a buddy of mine. We lived on the same block when we were in college, pretty much devastated. Holding down Kentucky St has a different meaning today.

It's an amazing video. For what it's worth, I'm praying for those people.

Red Beans 05-23-2011 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 7658086)
It's an amazing video. For what it's worth, I'm praying for those people.

Me too.

Huffman83 05-23-2011 09:27 AM

To the other Columbia peeps.

A blood drive will be held 2-6 pm at Achieve Balance Chiropractic in Columbia at 3901 S. Providence. If you are wanting to help Joplin, this is a great way to do it.

Here's some info I got from my work e-mail

essage relay from Troop F @ 2120 hours:

In reference to the SEMA Incident the command post is currently operational in the Troop D Joplin area. Due to an overwhelming number of Volunteers, SEMA officials are not currently requesting any further outside assistance until further notice.

Stinger 05-23-2011 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7657794)
Great news. Daughter and grand baby are fine. They lost everything though. Still nothing about my grandma.

Great to hear about your daughter and grand baby.............. Will still keep praying for your grandma.

On a side note someone might want to update the OP....

Bob Dole 05-23-2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 7658067)
The mall is fine, damage started around 12th right around Kings Palace and got worse and worse to the south. The others you mentioned...

If not already posted:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XT7CtF5ljxY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XT7CtF5ljxY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

JFC. Multiple vortexes and then it combines and it's like the whole cloud just descends upon the earth.

seaofred 05-23-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 7657934)
Did anyone hear about a tornado in Noel, Mo? We are going to be there in a couple of weeks and I heard from a friend a rumor about one that hit there yesterday as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pretty sure Noel was missed. There was one in Southwesr City.

MOhillbilly 05-23-2011 09:32 AM

shamrock bolt?????

luv 05-23-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 7658027)
I have a somewhat unusual-ish blood type. I should go donate.

CBCO (Community Blood Center of the Ozarks) and Red Cross here have issued a Code Red for type O Negative. I am A Positive, but that's a pretty common blood type, so I am going to go give at some point today as well.

ReynardMuldrake 05-23-2011 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffman83 (Post 7658089)
To the other Columbia peeps.

A blood drive will be held 2-6 pm at Achieve Balance Chiropractic in Columbia at 3901 S. Providence. If you are wanting to help Joplin, this is a great way to do it.

Here's some info I got from my work e-mail

essage relay from Troop F @ 2120 hours:

In reference to the SEMA Incident the command post is currently operational in the Troop D Joplin area. Due to an overwhelming number of Volunteers, SEMA officials are not currently requesting any further outside assistance until further notice.

Can you please cross-post this to the disaster relief thread? I'm trying to keep all the information in one place for those who would like to donate.

luv 05-23-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinger (Post 7658093)
Great to hear about your daughter and grand baby.............. Will still keep praying for your grandma.

On a side note someone might want to update the OP....

He found his grandma too, safe and well.

Stinger 05-23-2011 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7658106)
He found his grandma too, safe and well.

great to hear.......

Simply Red 05-23-2011 09:47 AM

Good to hear about Slayer's fam. being ok. That's cool.

Lzen 05-23-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7657365)
My heart goes out to the people in Joplin. I've not heard back from a couple of my friends and one family member, yet.

Guys, think what you will... but this storm was DEFINITELY modified. I watched it on radar yesterday... and they've really been pounding the midwest with these storms lately. This is no bullshit.

I've seen many, many of the scalar rings on radar late at night over the past couple months, and every time that these circles pop up on radar... BOOM. A huge storm hits the area within a day or two. It's like clockwork.

Sometimes the circles are more visible than others, but when you've been watching for them, you see the footprint of weather modification.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BYQT3pZLs6o" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="510" width="853"></iframe>

Do you actually believe this nutty shit you're posting?

Lzen 05-23-2011 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7657461)
I am ok. town is destroyed. H grandma lived 2 blocks from that hospital, still no word. Found one of n my children, missing is daughter and grandchild. I found her house, it was destroyed.only communication is the internet on my phone. Little bit of prayers please.

Prayers for you and your family, Jeff.

SuperChief 05-23-2011 10:07 AM

JFC. Absolutely terrible. I have two friends that have jobs set up @ the Joplin Globe later this summer - they're on the way to Joplin now to help clean up/do some reporting for the Globe while they still look for some missing reporters.

Thanks to all of you for everything you are doing or are going to do to help these people. It's times like these where we must come together and lend a hand to someone in need. Someday it could be you in a similar situation. I plan on offering my services for the cleanup process once the search and rescue teams are finished doing what they do.

Chief Roundup 05-23-2011 10:16 AM

What happened to the OP?

DaFace 05-23-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 7658145)
What happened to the OP?

I don't have time to keep it up to date today, so I put it back to the first post about the event. Technically, there is no OP. This thread was split off of another one, and that's just the first post about the event itself.

crazycoffey 05-23-2011 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 7657722)
Teedub - take it to D.C. please. We have several complaintants regarding your actions in this thread - not just the one guy you're aware of...

This, what a ****ing stick poking ass, seriously pissing me off.

Thoughts and prayers to all there, looking at pics now, just woke up and just heard about Joplin. Day off, will be calling the volunteer line to see if I can help do anything more than just be sad and sending the wishes.

Simply Red 05-23-2011 10:44 AM

God there's gotta be ten or so more Cp'ers that live in that area, right? I remember talking to these posters over the yrs about where my family was raised, not just the listed, Though I can't recall WHO they were - there were more, not to scare anyone, but just wondering.

luv 05-23-2011 10:45 AM

Posted this in the relief thread, but thought I would post it here too.

At this point, it is best to take all physical donations (food, water, clothing, pet products, offers of foster homes, etc) to a local organization. There are so many people that want to take items down, but there are only so many people that can coordinate. Chances are, a local organization is in on the coordination efforts, and it will lessen the foot traffic of those coming and going during the rescue and recovery.

ROYC75 05-23-2011 11:05 AM

Guys & Gals, I have seen the news and just now got a chance to respond, I pray that all of CP members, family & friends are safe. But on a sad note are the lives lost, so many, RIP and May God Bless each and everyone in that area.

Reerun_KC 05-23-2011 11:42 AM

From my cousin "It's certainly tough to swallow all of this! And the fact we can't get into the town to even try to find their bodies makes it even harder!!!"

Lzen 05-23-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 7658058)
Just hung up w/ Dad, he said that growing up all of the locals in BOTH Joplin and Carthage claimed that the fact that both towns are encapsulated by rivers, that they'd never cross the rivers, the indians claimed that the Tornados would not cross the rivers, consequently people believed that for yrs. Not anymore, so sad man. I can't even imagine that happening here, Dad doesn't remember a twister in Carthage at all, EVER hitting. They were usually over across the KS line toward Frontenac.

Not sure what you're getting at. We have good friends that live just outside of Carthage and they said they are fine. He works in Joplin. Good thing it wasn't a weekday, I guess. But I'm sure they will be dealing with lost friends and coworkers.

J Diddy 05-23-2011 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 7658264)
Not sure what you're getting at. We have good friends that live just outside of Carthage and they said they are fine. He works in Joplin. Good thing it wasn't a weekday, I guess. But I'm sure they will be dealing with lost friends and coworkers.

The time it hit, if it would have ben monday the death toll would be in the thousands.

vailpass 05-23-2011 11:54 AM

Sorry to hear about this. Best wishes to all affected.

teedubya 05-23-2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotherLover (Post 7658268)
The time it hit, if it would have ben monday the death toll would be in the thousands.

That is true. That thing was vicious. That had to be one of the largest tornadoes to ever hit Missouri, I'd think. You don't see too many F5's.

Glad you are doing okay, man.

Sure-Oz 05-23-2011 12:02 PM

My friends are alive. So happy

luv 05-23-2011 12:06 PM

Talked to dad during lunch. He said the president of the local NALC branch there lost their house. Also, one city carrier and two rural carriers confirmed dead that lived in that area. One of the post offices was destroyed.

I asked dad what the post office does in cases like this. He said that they will hold mail for ten days, and then, if no one claims it, it will get returned to the senders.

They're saying that, if you find any medical records from St Johns, you should hold on to them for now. They are focusing their efforts on the survival of patients and helping others. They will announce at a later date where people can send anything they have found. Also, four lives were lost in the hospital as a result of the tornado.

Reaper16 05-23-2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7658274)
Sorry to hear about this. Best wishes to all affected.

You did nothing but making crass, unfunny jokes in the thread about the tornadoes in Alabama. What caused you to grow a heart in the last few weeks?

Dartgod 05-23-2011 12:12 PM

Has there been any update in the death toll? It looks like they are still reporting 89 confirmed, but I would have thought it would have risen by now.

I also found that my sis-in-law has an aunt there that is missing.
Posted via Mobile Device

LiL stumppy 05-23-2011 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 7658302)
Has there been any update in the death toll? It looks like they are still reporting 89 confirmed, but I would have thought it would have risen by now.

Posted via Mobile Device

It's going to be well over 100.

The new restuarnt in Joplin Quincy Magoos is opening their doors for anybody who needs food or drink. So head that way if you do.

seaofred 05-23-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7658102)
shamrock bolt?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 7658302)

Posted via Mobile Device

Local radio has said, it's now over 100. I'm looking for a link, but don't have one yet.

vailpass 05-23-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7658298)
You did nothing but making crass, unfunny jokes in the thread about the tornadoes in Alabama. What caused you to grow a heart in the last few weeks?

Bullshit. My Alabama jokes were very funny.

Pants 05-23-2011 12:21 PM

Wow.....

Thoughts and prayers to all those affected by this. That is just terrible. I thought the storms were done on Saturday night - this is just completely ****ed up.

Donger 05-23-2011 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7658275)
That is true. That thing was vicious. That had to be one of the largest tornadoes to ever hit Missouri, I'd think. You don't see too many F5's.

Vicious? That seems a little odd.

luv 05-23-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy (Post 7658305)
It's going to be well over 100.

The new restuarnt in Joplin Quincy Magoos is opening their doors for anybody who needs food or drink. So head that way if you do.

I saw that on their Springfield page. They're taking collections at the store in Springfield to take out to feed people.

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7658308)
Bullshit. My Alabama jokes were very funny.

I'm sure your Joplin ones are hilarious as well.

FishingRod 05-23-2011 12:29 PM

Was about 30 miles away early yesterday. It was a nice sunny day. Got home and heard about it. Good thoughts for the families. The Guy that sits next to me at work has some family there. House is gone but everyone made it through.

tk13 05-23-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 7658275)

Its a bit early to make F scale judgments. This might not have been an F5... it only takes an EF3 tornado to level homes. But we'll see. You also have to remember the tri-state tornado started in Missouri. That was the worst tornado in US history.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv 05-23-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seaofred (Post 7658307)
Local radio has said, it's now over 100. I'm looking for a link, but don't have one yet.

I asked on the Recovery facebook wall. Seems that the last official count was at 92, but someone had heard an unofficial count at 109.

A friend who's husband works in Joplin said that they were still occasionally carrying body bags out of the Walmart wreckage.

vailpass 05-23-2011 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 7658322)
I'm sure your Joplin ones are hilarious as well.

Sky rocketing meth prices are no joke son.

DMAC 05-23-2011 12:34 PM

Good Info Here (should go in OP if you ask me):

Missourians interested in volunteering to assist should call (800) 427-4626 or 2-1-1. Those with medical skills interested in volunteering should go to: https://www.showmeresponse.org

Missourians wishing to make donations to help with the relief effort can go to http://www.sema.dps.mo.gov/recover/donations.asp or call (800) 427-4626 or 2-1-1.

Residents affected by the tornado who wish to notify their friends and family that they are safe should go to: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php. Friends and family who would like to check on their loved ones in the affected area can use the same site.

Missourians who need disaster information, shelter information or referrals are urged to call 2-1-1. The United Way's 211 service number is now available for most areas in Missouri. In areas where the 211 number is not operational, citizens can call 800-427-4626.

United Way of the Ozarks in Springfield is waiting to hear plans from the American Red Cross – Greater Ozarks Chapter regarding mobilizing volunteer efforts. As soon as it has confirmation on how and where to volunteer, it will release that information.

If you would like to help with a monetary donation, please send your checks to United Way of the Ozarks, 320 N. Jefferson Ave., Springfield, MO 65806, marked JOPLIN TORNADO DISASTER RELIEF and all funds received will be distributed to the United Way of Southwest Missouri (Joplin).

luv 05-23-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMAC (Post 7658337)
Good Info Here (should go in OP if you ask me):

Missourians interested in volunteering to assist should call (800) 427-4626 or 2-1-1. Those with medical skills interested in volunteering should go to: https://www.showmeresponse.org

Missourians wishing to make donations to help with the relief effort can go to http://www.sema.dps.mo.gov/recover/donations.asp or call (800) 427-4626 or 2-1-1.

Residents affected by the tornado who wish to notify their friends and family that they are safe should go to: https://safeandwell.communityos.org/cms/index.php. Friends and family who would like to check on their loved ones in the affected area can use the same site.

Missourians who need disaster information, shelter information or referrals are urged to call 2-1-1. The United Way's 211 service number is now available for most areas in Missouri. In areas where the 211 number is not operational, citizens can call 800-427-4626.

United Way of the Ozarks in Springfield is waiting to hear plans from the American Red Cross – Greater Ozarks Chapter regarding mobilizing volunteer efforts. As soon as it has confirmation on how and where to volunteer, it will release that information.

If you would like to help with a monetary donation, please send your checks to United Way of the Ozarks, 320 N. Jefferson Ave., Springfield, MO 65806, marked JOPLIN TORNADO DISASTER RELIEF and all funds received will be distributed to the United Way of Southwest Missouri (Joplin).

I would post that information in this thread, too.
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245421

Predarat 05-23-2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7658326)
Its a bit early to make F scale judgments. This might not have been an F5... it only takes an EF3 tornado to level homes. But we'll see. You also have to remember the tri-state tornado started in Missouri. That was the worst tornado in US history.
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I have heard from witnesses that saw that tornado, that one might have been an F6, it does not sound like any tornado I have ever seen or heard of. With the new scale I don't think there is an EF6 though, from what I understand it now stops at EF5. That thing was a monster. I have never seen a credible picture of it.

tk13 05-23-2011 12:49 PM

Yeah. The real bad news this might not be over. All the different weather forums I've come across are saying the ingredients will be there for a significant severe weather outbreak tomorrow across the plains.
Posted via Mobile Device

NewChief 05-23-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7658371)
Yeah. The real bad news this might not be over. All the different weather forums I've come across are saying the ingredients will be there for a significant severe weather outbreak tomorrow across the plains.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah. A friend of mine works for the news station here. He said that tomorrow could be hellacious, and they've already told him to plan on working late.

BigCatDaddy 05-23-2011 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 7658371)
Posted via Mobile Device

Has there been any odd "rings" around the St. Joseph area reported?

Stinger 05-23-2011 01:04 PM

Huge list of ways to help those in Joplin.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|p

Chiefs Pantalones 05-23-2011 01:07 PM

Just found out my cousin is fine thank God. Her house? Not so much. Destroyed. They just built it too. Ugh.

Stinger 05-23-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 7658406)
Just found out my cousin is fine thank God. Her house? Not so much. Destroyed. They just built it too. Ugh.

Great to hear.........

Houses can be rebuilt. People not so much, glad she is safe.

Mr. Plow 05-23-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 7658406)

What Stinger said! Glad she is safe and fine. Houses and furniture can be replaced.

luv 05-23-2011 02:09 PM

I am amazed at the outpouring of support shown for the community of Joplin. I wish I could do more. My contact at CBCO said they met their need for the Joplin area and have an excess of A Positive blood, so I don't even need to go give. The community college here is accepting donations until 9pm tonight. I'm thinking about skipping class tonight to go pack up stuff to drop off there. My co-worker, who is now the official person in charge of finding foster homes for displaced pets, said that there are two tractor trailers full of enough pet supplies for 2000 animals heading that way now, plus she has a list of at least 115 people willing to foster animals ranging from gerbils to cows. The best bet at this point would be to give non-perishable food items, water, clothing, and toiletries.

luv 05-23-2011 02:14 PM

The Carthage High School class of 2011 raised $15,000 for their Project Graduation. They are giving it all to the tornado relief.

Mr. Plow 05-23-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7658491)
I am amazed at the outpouring of support shown for the community of Joplin. I wish I could do more. My contact at CBCO said they met their need for the Joplin area and have an excess of A Positive blood, so I don't even need to go give. The community college here is accepting donations until 9pm tonight. I'm thinking about skipping class tonight to go pack up stuff to drop off there. My co-worker, who is now the official person in charge of finding foster homes for displaced pets, said that there are two tractor trailers full of enough pet supplies for 2000 animals heading that way now, plus she has a list of at least 115 people willing to foster animals ranging from gerbils to cows. The best bet at this point would be to give non-perishable food items, water, clothing, and toiletries.

Wow! That is great!!

HonestChieffan 05-23-2011 02:27 PM

Death Toll 116 now

luv 05-23-2011 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HonestChieffan (Post 7658535)
Death Toll 116 now

Link?

EDIT: Never mind. Found one.

tooge 05-23-2011 02:31 PM

wow. With the population being what it is, and the death toll being what it is, I would bet almost everyone in Joplin will be attending a funeral for a friend of loved one because of this. Terrible. I'm very proud of the SE MO folks puring out so much support. Way to go Missourians!

ReynardMuldrake 05-23-2011 02:31 PM

1,150 people injured? Holy shit.

Chief Roundup 05-23-2011 02:47 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNwZ1IY2p0

Wow simply wow This is an aerial view of Joplin from a helicopter after the tornado. Sorry don't know how to make the video show up.

RNR 05-23-2011 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 7658562)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWNwZ1IY2p0

Wow simply wow This is an aerial view of Joplin from a helicopter after the tornado. Sorry don't know how to make the video show up.

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FWNwZ1IY2p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Donger 05-23-2011 02:51 PM

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/r2cznbI8ha4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BryanBusby 05-23-2011 02:54 PM

Finally got ahold of my aunt and although her place and stuff was wiped off the map, she herself is fine.

Hearing the death toll numbers is very sobering though. :(

Chief Roundup 05-23-2011 02:56 PM

Thanks RNR

RNR 05-23-2011 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 7658581)
Thanks RNR

Check your rep~

Pitt Gorilla 05-23-2011 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 7658509)
The Carthage High School class of 2011 raised $15,000 for their Project Graduation. They are giving it all to the tornado relief.

Awesome job, Carthage.

siberian khatru 05-23-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

WOW.

SuperChief 05-23-2011 03:06 PM

The support is amazing. A few close friends and family I have are doing what they can to help monitarily and with volunteer efforts, even from 100's of miles away. They, along with you great people of CP, are making a difference. Kudos to all of you.

Let's just hope that this new batch of storms doesn't add to the carnage.

siberian khatru 05-23-2011 03:07 PM

Man, I tell you what ... that Carthage HS news gets me a bit choked up.

We spend a lot of time talking about how shitty people are and can be, but then something like this happens and you see such an outpouring of goodness.

Dante84 05-23-2011 03:11 PM

I'm impressed with KC as well. Everyone seems to care; there are emergency blood drives going on, people are collecting items, S&R teams and tons of medical personnel are heading down if they haven't left already.

I bitch about the heartland a lot, but there is something to be said about our compassion and willingness to lend a hand when its needed.

tooge 05-23-2011 03:12 PM

I'm curious. It looks like a total disaster with almost nothing left standing for thousands of homes and businesses. I'm wondering how the death toll isn't closer to a few thousand if there aren't many basements down there. I would think on a sunday evening, most people are home or out to dinner at that time, neither of which seem very safe. Do more homes have basements down there, or was there a very good warning system in place for this storm?

Chief Roundup 05-23-2011 03:13 PM

Quote:

Can I get you to post a link to this information please.

Los Pollos Hermanos 05-23-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 7658610)
I'm curious. It looks like a total disaster with almost nothing left standing for thousands of homes and businesses. I'm wondering how the death toll isn't closer to a few thousand if there aren't many basements down there. I would think on a sunday evening, most people are home or out to dinner at that time, neither of which seem very safe. Do more homes have basements down there, or was there a very good warning system in place for this storm?

After seeing the pictures of Wal-Mart I would think that there would have been hundreds of casualties there alone. Down here, there's no busier place on a Sunday afternoon then Wal-Mart.

dirk digler 05-23-2011 03:17 PM

The NWS rated it a EF4 with winds at 198

http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world...an-955263.html
Quote:

NORMAN, Okla. — The National Weather Service says a tornado that swept through Joplin, Mo., and killed at least 116 people packed winds up to 198 mph.

The weather service's director, Jack Hayes, says the storm was given a preliminary label as an EF4 — the second-highest rating given to twisters. The rating is assigned to storms based on the damage they cause.

Hayes said the storm had winds of 190 to 198 miles per hour. At times, the storm was three-quarters of a mile wide.

Donger 05-23-2011 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 7658622)
At times, the storm was three-quarters of a mile wide.

My God.

tooge 05-23-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7658620)
After seeing the pictures of Wal-Mart I would think that there would have been hundreds of casualties there alone. Down here, there's no busier place on a Sunday afternoon then Wal-Mart.

Thats what I mean. I'm truly thankful (hopeful) that it isn't worse, but I'm shocked as to how it isn't.

SuperChief 05-23-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7658629)
My God.

Could you imagine something like that coming at you and your loved ones head on?

I get nervous when the Chiefs get in the red zone. Sheesh.

luv 05-23-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 7658614)
Can I get you to post a link to this information please.

I'll see what I can do. I have a friend who is an alumni, and she posted it as her facebook status.

gblowfish 05-23-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

That's outstanding, made me tear up.