ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 11:09 AM

Prospect Watch: Top 10 outfielders

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com | 01/23/12 10:00 AM EST

MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects list has been expanded to 100. The 2012 version will be unveiled Wednesday on MLB.com as well as on a one-hour show on MLB Network, airing at 10 p.m. ET. Leading up to that, MLB.com takes a look at baseball's top 10 prospects at each position.

This year's Top 10 outfielder prospect list has every kind of outfielder imaginable. There's the speedy future leadoff hitter. There's the middle-of-the-order guy with the big bat. And no outfield list would be complete without a healthy dose of multitooled athletes. Several of these exciting prospects should see time in the big leagues in 2012.

1. Bryce Harper, Nationals: Harper might play all of the 2012 season at age 19, but it would be a mistake to think that's a reason he won't be in Washington this year. All signs point to him getting every chance to make the Opening Day roster, and why not? Harper has already shown an ability to make adjustments. He started out slowly after his double-jump to Double-A last summer, but was just heating up when he got shut down by a minor hamstring injury. No matter, Harper simply went to the Arizona Fall League and raked there. His plus power shows up in games consistently, and he didn't strike out quite as much as some thought he would. Harper gets on base, is an aggressive baserunner and is improving in the outfield, where his plus arm works very well. He could be ready to take the nation's capital by storm on Opening Day.

2. Mike Trout, Angels: It's amazing how quickly expectations can change. Coming out of the New Jersey high school ranks, it was unclear just what Trout would do in his first full season. When that 2010 campaign was a huge success, Trout became the top prospect in the game and the bar was raised. He surpassed that bar as a teenager in Double-A last year, hitting for average, getting on base, stealing bases and showing more extra-base pop. Yet Trout's lack of prolonged success in the big leagues left some a touch disappointed. It would be a mistake to put too much stock in that, as Trout's ceiling as a game-changer on both sides of the ball is still very, very high.

3. Bubba Starling, Royals: As top athletes go, there are few in baseball better than Starling. Kansas City signed him away from a scholarship to play quarterback at the University of Nebraska, and Starling has all five tools in his toolbox. He has plus speed that should allow him to both steal bases and play an outstanding center field. Starling's strong throwing arm is a plus defensively as well. He has excellent raw power and has shown enough pure hitting skills to indicate he'll tap into that power consistently and hit for average as well. It might take Starling a little time to put it all together, but the payoff could be huge.

4. Wil Myers, Royals: Struggles in Double-A in 2011, compounded by a knee injury, dampened Myers' star a bit. His play in the Arizona Fall League, though, helped bring him back to the top of the young hitters' list, as the now 21-year-old regained his confidence at the plate. Myers' plus bat speed should allow him to hit for average and power, and he's an on-base machine. Last year was his first in the outfield after a move from behind the plate, and he should fit the mold of a right fielder when all is said and done. Even if Myers goes back to Double-A to start the season, he could be ready for Kansas City in a year's time.

5. Brett Jackson, Cubs: It's hard to imagine a 20-20 player being undervalued, but because none of Jackson's individual tools grade out as plus, he might fit that bill. Jackson hit better after he was promoted to Triple-A in 2011 -- always a good sign. His strikeout rate concerns some, but he also draws walks and his power-speed combination should play just fine at the highest level. Jackson can play all three outfield spots, something that should allow him to reach Chicago at some point in 2012.

6. Christian Yelich, Marlins: At age 19, Yelich finished in the top 10 in a host of offensive categories in the South Atlantic League, including finishing third in the batting race. He has a very good approach at the plate from the left side that should allow him to hit for average. Yelich's power was a question mark, but it started showing up in games more in 2011, and there could be more in the tank. His speed makes him a basestealing threat and a solid outfielder, where he's worked hard to improve his game. Yelich won a title in 2011 and will move up a level in '12, but he could jump on the fast track this season.

7. Starling Marte, Pirates: The Bucs may have Andrew McCutchen patrolling center now in Pittsburgh, but they could have a good problem on their hands in another year. Marte has always shown an ability to hit for average, and he proved he can do it at a higher level, winning the Double-A Eastern League batting title in 2011. He started to grow into his power as well, and there could be more there. Marte still needs to work on his pitch recognition and plate discipline, which could make him an even more dangerous all-around hitter. With more work, he'll be a good basestealer, and he is an excellent defensive outfielder. Marte will be in Triple-A to start the season, just a phone call away.

8. Gary Brown, Giants: Many felt Brown should have been promoted midseason in 2011, but there's nothing wrong with not rushing things. Brown finished in the California League's top five in several offensive categories, including stolen bases and batting average. His plus-plus speed makes him a perfect future leadoff hitter, especially as he gains a better understanding of what he needs to do atop a lineup. It also helps make Brown a plus defensive center fielder. Brown even has a little power to boot. He'll move up to Double-A to start the year, but don't be surprised to see him in San Francisco before the year is over.

9. Anthony Gose, Blue Jays: Gose had a huge first full campaign with his new organization, leading the Eastern League with 70 steals, while becoming more proficient on that front. He drew more walks and showed more power, though he's still striking out too much for a leadoff hitter. Better plate discipline should lead to a better average. Gose is already an excellent defensive outfielder with one of the best arms in the Minors. He's not far from being ready for Toronto's center field, with a stop at Triple-A Las Vegas up next.

10. Jake Marisnick, Blue Jays: Marisnick started to use his considerable tools consistently in 2011, finishing second in the Midwest League batting race and fourth in OPS. Marisnick's plentiful tools should allow him to hit for average and more power as he matures. He's an excellent baserunner who should also continue to be a threat on the basepaths. Marisnick can play center field now, but an outfield with Gose in center and Marisnick in right should have Blue Jays fans excited. He should move up to Dunedin to start the 2012 season, but Double-A New Hampshire could be in his not-too-distant future.

To be eligible for the list, a player must have rookie eligibility. To qualify for rookie status, a player must not have exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues, or accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the 25-player limit period, excluding time on the disabled list or in military service. Not all international players qualify for these rankings. Prospect Watch follows the guidelines laid out by the new CBA: Players who are at least 23 years old and played in leagues deemed to be professional (Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Cuba) are not eligible.

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com and writes a blog, B3. Follow @JonathanMayoB3 on Twitter. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 04:39 PM

Is it kosher for more than one person to use the same sig pic because I really like the Hosmer one but I don't want to break the rules. I'm pretty sig'd out anyway.

CaliforniaChief 01-23-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8321842)
Is it kosher for more than one person to use the same sig pic because I really like the Hosmer one but I don't want to break the rules. I'm pretty sig'd out anyway.

I wouldn't care at all...it is cool...so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

Simplicity 01-23-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

It should be okay, I mean if someone had a sig of KC's logo and so did another guy. I'm sure the mods couldn't outlaw it :thumb:

SPchief 01-23-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

I'd have a problem with that

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 8321880)
I wouldn't care at all...it is cool...so as far as I'm concerned, it's all good.

Thanks. I don't really want to over-sig but I really like the Hosmer one you use... and BoneKrusher did a great job on my "button sig." I could lose the quote but I like it. Not sure if I want to add more but wanted to ask first.

Simplicity 01-23-2012 05:04 PM

Dang, I'm falling behind on somethings DeezNutz and ShoGun, So sorry. Busy.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 8321890)
I'd have a problem with that

Kiss my ass since you aren't even using one

:p

edit... ok yes you are I didnt even look lol

58kcfan89 01-23-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beer me (Post 8320927)
Prospect Watch: Top 10 outfielders

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com | 01/23/12 10:00 AM EST

3. Bubba Starling, Royals: As top athletes go, there are few in baseball better than Starling. Kansas City signed him away from a scholarship to play quarterback at the University of Nebraska, and Starling has all five tools in his toolbox. He has plus speed that should allow him to both steal bases and play an outstanding center field. Starling's strong throwing arm is a plus defensively as well. He has excellent raw power and has shown enough pure hitting skills to indicate he'll tap into that power consistently and hit for average as well. It might take Starling a little time to put it all together, but the payoff could be huge.

4. Wil Myers, Royals: Struggles in Double-A in 2011, compounded by a knee injury, dampened Myers' star a bit. His play in the Arizona Fall League, though, helped bring him back to the top of the young hitters' list, as the now 21-year-old regained his confidence at the plate. Myers' plus bat speed should allow him to hit for average and power, and he's an on-base machine. Last year was his first in the outfield after a move from behind the plate, and he should fit the mold of a right fielder when all is said and done. Even if Myers goes back to Double-A to start the season, he could be ready for Kansas City in a year's time.

I like. Thx for the article.

Opening Day can't get here soon enough.

DeezNutz 01-23-2012 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8321900)

Damnit, n00b. :cuss:

:)

Simplicity 01-23-2012 05:43 PM

It'll be here shortly, Nutz :D

tk13 01-23-2012 05:44 PM

I think DeezNutz would be okay with you making him another Hochevar one.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 05:45 PM

Hey Simplicity can you make me a Tim Belcher? I'm completely serious.

DeezNutz 01-23-2012 05:47 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zbccWJYAOR...horder.8.6.JPG

How do you spell relief?

KCUnited 01-23-2012 05:48 PM

Can I get Billy rounding 2nd with a Hour Time?

DeezNutz 01-23-2012 05:49 PM

I ****ing hate Billy Butler!!! Not enough RBIs and too many double-play balls!!! /bizarrometric

BillSelfsTrophycase 01-23-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 8321981)
Can I get Billy rounding 2nd with a Hour Time?

LMAO

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 05:55 PM

Anyone who doesn't love Billy Butt is a small flaccid penis.

KCUnited 01-23-2012 06:18 PM

The excitement is reaching Billy's weight is off limits heights.

I contacted the Royals today, AllStar packets went out on Friday and should be arriving in the mail to sth with pricing.

jbwm89 01-23-2012 07:24 PM

pitchers and catchers report in 28 days....

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbwm89 (Post 8322119)
pitchers and catchers report in 28 days....

28 days and the real season starts! Well the pre-real season...

Shogun 01-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8321900)

No problems, Its just a spare time project for me :D

cabletech94 01-23-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8317299)
Thoughts?

can't wait to see mine!!!!!:rolleyes:

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-23-2012 08:54 PM

danconnollysunDan Connolly
#Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit, on a 1-year, big-lg deal, acdng to an indstry srce #Tigers #Royals

O **** me

lewdog 01-23-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 8322309)
danconnollysunDan Connolly
#Orioles have agreed to terms, pending physical, with INF Wilson Betemit, on a 1-year, big-lg deal, acdng to an indstry srce #Tigers #Royals

O **** me

**** yea....Go O's!

lewdog 01-23-2012 09:04 PM

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind having a bat like Betemit on the bench. They aren't planning on playing him everyday?

stonedstooge 01-23-2012 09:05 PM

I liked Betemit when he was on the Royals. He was 2nd in batting and had several games he played a key in. Wasn't till he went back to part time that his numbers all fell. Would rather have kept him then the backups the Royals currently have

Simplicity 01-23-2012 09:17 PM

Gordon or Hosmer one? Caleb?

58kcfan89 01-23-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stonedstooge (Post 8322337)
I liked Betemit when he was on the Royals. He was 2nd in batting and had several games he played a key in. Wasn't till he went back to part time that his numbers all fell. Would rather have kept him then the backups the Royals currently have

No joke. Betemit >>>> Getz/Yunicorn.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-23-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8322358)
Gordon or Hosmer one? Caleb?

Huh?????

Drunk post?

Simplicity 01-23-2012 09:33 PM

Nooooo :D , I meant, Caleb. Do you want a Hosmer sig or a Gordon sig?

cabletech94 01-23-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8322397)

is there anyway to make a hos/gordo mashup?

nah, that's just crazy talk!!!!

caleb'd prolly love a gordo smakin' a tater!LMAO

brotha, i'd be eternally grateful for either!! sooooooo, can't wait for the season!!!! and you're not helping. ONE. BIT!!!!!!

Shogun 01-23-2012 10:12 PM

UHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF?

Chris Sylvester
#BREAKING:
#Rangers have agreed in principle to a deal that would
send Billy Butler to Texas #Royals

Reaper16 01-23-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8322471)
UHHHHHHHHHHHHH WTF?

Chris Sylvester
#BREAKING:
#Rangers have agreed in principle to a deal that would
send Billy Butler to Texas #Royals

Well it better be for Yu ****ing Darvish.

Shogun 01-23-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8322474)

nvm, false rumor, the guy was proving a point that the media will report anything without checking sources

lewdog 01-23-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shogun (Post 8322480)
nvm, false rumor, the guy was proving a point that the media will report anything without checking sources

Thank ****ing god or my Billy B. tattoo would look awfully silly!

CHENZ A! 01-23-2012 10:20 PM

Can someone make me a sig with Butler and some bacon, and eggs, and B&g, and sausage links, and hot sauce. Please and thank you.

Simplicity 01-23-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHENZ A! (Post 8322488)
Can someone make me a sig with Butler and some bacon, and eggs, and B&g, and sausage links, and hot sauce. Please and thank you.

Is that a fat jokeee :D :D :D

CHENZ A! 01-23-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8322493)
Is that a fat jokeee :D :D :D

Dude... His nickname is "Country Breakfast"... Also, I'd really like it for my sig, but don't have the photoshop ability.

stonedstooge 01-23-2012 10:26 PM

I'd still like an Escobar in the air fielding if you can come up with one

tk13 01-23-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 8322474)

Hank Blalock.

Simplicity 01-23-2012 10:38 PM

Tomorrow, everyone, tomorrow :P

Valiant 01-23-2012 10:43 PM

Too bad.. If we could swing him for a future 1 or a solid 2 pitcher that would be awesome..

Three7s 01-23-2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simplicity (Post 8322397)

I'll take a Gordon sig. If you don't have a pic for one, I can look.

58kcfan89 01-24-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 8322530)
Too bad.. If we could swing him for a future 1 or a solid 2 pitcher that would be awesome..

Who would you put at DH?

I'm usually on the fence with Butler, but I don't get the fascination with trading him. He's young, a good hitter, seems to WANT to be in KC and I doubt his trade value is all that high TBH....

Not saying I wouldn't trade him for the right haul (and FTR, a #1 or 2 SP would fit that category), but I don't think anyone's willing to give us anything of importance for him at this time.

Great Expectations 01-24-2012 08:19 AM

You could try Clint Robinson at DH. I'm a Billy fan, but if you could get a #2 starter you would have to pull the trigger.

duncan_idaho 01-24-2012 08:41 AM

I think if you trade Butler, it has to be for a young and somewhat controllable starting pitcher. You don't take a chance on a pitching prospect at this point.

Someone like Ervin Santana of Angels probably would have been a good match before their 1B/DH/corner OF picture got so clogged.

Dr. Johnny Fever 01-24-2012 09:54 AM

Not about the Royals but I found it interesting

Most frustrating players in the majors

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...yers-in-majors

As a Mariners fan in the 1980s, one player absolutely wrecked me above all others: Jim Presley. He was a third baseman with good power, a quick bat and a strong arm. In 1985, his first full season, he hit .275/.324/.484 with 28 home runs and 33 doubles. He looked like he'd be a star.

But while he made the All-Star team in 1986, his strikeouts increased from 100to 172. The problem was obvious: The dude couldn't lay off the slider low and away. Time after time, he would flail helplessly at the pitch. It got comical; pitchers learned they didn't even have to throw the pitch close to the plate and Presley would chase. With two strikes, you knew it was coming; Presley knew it was coming. Swing and a miss. By 1991, not yet 30 years old, he was out of the majors.

All fans have their most frustrating players. Here are five current major leaguers who pop into my mind. Discuss your frustrations below!

Austin Jackson, Tigers: Just because you're on the list doesn't mean you're a bad player. Jackson is an excellent defensive center fielder -- according to the Defensive Runs Saved metric from Baseball Info Solution, he tied with Brett Gardner and Pablo Sandoval with 22 runs saved in 2011, the best total in the majors. What makes Jackson frustrating, of course, is the high total of strikeouts: 170 as a rookie in 2010 and 181 in 2011. He managed to overcome the strikeouts his rookie season when he hit .293 thanks to a high average on balls in play. Analysts predicted a big decline in 2011 unless he cut down his strikeouts, and they were right: Jackson hit .249 with a .317 on-base percentage, numbers exacerbated by Jim Leyland's stubborn insistence on hitting Jackson leadoff. Despite a great lineup -- the Tigers finished fourth in the majors in runs scored -- Detroit finished just 10th in runs scored by its leadoff hitters.

James Loney, Dodgers: In 2007, Loney hit .331 with 15 home runs in 344 at-bats as a 23-year-old rookie. He looked like a future stud, a first baseman who would hit for a good average and 25 to 30 home runs per season. But he's never matched the power potential, settling in with numbing consistency, hitting between 10 and 13 home runs each season. Since he's not a .300 hitter nor does he draw many walks, Loney's numbers remain subpar for a first baseman. The improvement just hasn't happened, yet Dodgers management continues to stick with him. He's now making $6.375 million; that's a lot to pay for a first baseman who's hit .281/.341/.411 over the past four seasons.

Mark Reynolds, Orioles: Reynolds has big-time power, of course: Since 2008, he's fifth in the majors with 141 home runs, trailing only Albert Pujols, Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder and Mark Teixeira. But all those home runs come at the expense of record-breaking strikeout totals that drag down Reynolds' average. He's led the majors in K's each of those four seasons, and has racked up 834 -- more than 200 (!) per season. He shows no inclination to cut down on his swing. As a result, even though he draws walks, his .210 average and .322 on-base percentage cut into his overall offensive value. And then there's the defense. Reynolds had an .897 fielding percentage at third base in 2011, prompting the Orioles to start playing him at first. For now, they plan to move him back to third in 2012, and Reynolds has said he's lost weight this offseason to help improve his quickness and range at the hot corner. Now if only he would adjust a little at the plate.

A.J. Burnett, Yankees: He has a 5.20 ERA over the past two seasons, and while the Yankees may want to trade him, I see that as unlikely even if they pick up a large chunk of the remaining $33 million on his contract. His average fastball velocity, which peaked as high as 95.6 mph with the Marlins in 2005, was down to 92.7 in 2011. That's still plenty of velocity, but mixed with his lack of command and gopherball-itis, it's not enough to remain consistently effective. But enough to remain consistently frustrating.

Ricky Nolasco, Marlins: Nolasco went 15-8 with a 3.52 ERA and 1.10 WHIP in 2008. He was prone to the home run, but his strikeout-to-walk ratio ranked second in the NL. His future seemed like it could include becoming one of the top pitchers in the league. While he's gone 37-30 over the past three seasons, his ERA has been 4.76 and his WHIP has increased each year. He still has an excellent strikeout-to-walk ratio (although it declined a bit in 2011), so he should be putting up better numbers. But he hasn't, and opposing batters hit .295 off him in 2011. The stuff and control are there. But we're still waiting for him to get his ERA back under 4.00.

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Great Expectations (Post 8322835)
You could try Clint Robinson at DH.

Shoots self in head.

duncan_idaho 01-24-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8323408)
Shoots self in head.

In that scenario, we'd quickly end up with Kouzmanoff starting at 3B and Moose DHing a lot of the time, I think.

Saul Good 01-24-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8323408)
Shoots self in head.

Maybe we cut put together a package to get Kila back as our DH.

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 01:47 PM

Just a random thought:

1. Keep Billy, a player who is largely undervalued and under-appreciated by many fans.
2. Spend money.*
3. Sign Jackson, a viable 2/3 starter (closer to 3, but whatever).

*and here's the crux.

doomy3 01-24-2012 02:12 PM

Sounds like the Tigers are going to sign Prince Fielder.

doomy3 01-24-2012 02:14 PM

Prince Fielder - 1B - Brewers
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Tigers have signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million deal.
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports first mentioned the possibility less than 10 minutes ago, and now it has become official: Fielder is going to Detroit, the same place his father Cecil spent seven years of his career. The 27-year-old slugger should shine bright for the Tigers, more than making up for the production lost by Victor Martinez's knee injury in 2012 and helping the team remain in the rung of American League contenders for years to come. Fielder owns a .929 career OPS. He batted .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI in 162 games last season for the Brewers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3829/prince-fielder

doomy3 01-24-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 8313504)
Sounds like Carlos Pena is going to sign with the Rays, which is good news IMO.

I figured he could become a target of the Tigers since they lost Martinez for the season.

Well, I wish the Tigers would have signed Pena.

tk13 01-24-2012 02:20 PM

Well that's nice. I don't know if the final years of that contract will be worth it, but in the short term it helps their offense. At least the Tigers don't play in a bandbox where he can hit 60 homers.
Posted via Mobile Device

58kcfan89 01-24-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 8323695)
Prince Fielder - 1B - Brewers
CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Tigers have signed Prince Fielder to a nine-year, $214 million deal.
Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports first mentioned the possibility less than 10 minutes ago, and now it has become official: Fielder is going to Detroit, the same place his father Cecil spent seven years of his career. The 27-year-old slugger should shine bright for the Tigers, more than making up for the production lost by Victor Martinez's knee injury in 2012 and helping the team remain in the rung of American League contenders for years to come. Fielder owns a .929 career OPS. He batted .299/.415/.566 with 38 home runs and 120 RBI in 162 games last season for the Brewers.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/3829/prince-fielder

Was just about to post this. Crap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomy3 (Post 8323708)
Well, I wish the Tigers would have signed Pena.

Yeah, no kidding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8323723)
Well that's nice. I don't know if the final years of that contract will be worth it, but in the short term it helps their offense. At least the Tigers don't play in a bandbox where he can hit 60 homers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Neither do we. He can his as many jacks as he wants against the rest of the league, as long as he's not killing KC as far as I'm concerned....

Kinda feel bad for the Brewers. Went all-in for last season & fell short. Not sure if they've got another 1B in the system or have plans to acquire one, but it kinda sucks for them.

alnorth 01-24-2012 02:27 PM

well, crap

Edit: what the hell is going on with Detroit? Has that city not fallen apart yet? There are people still going to games and watching the Tigers on TV in Detroit? How many more years till everyone's left that joint?

duncan_idaho 01-24-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8323596)
Just a random thought:

1. Keep Billy, a player who is largely undervalued and under-appreciated by many fans.
2. Spend money.*
3. Sign Jackson, a viable 2/3 starter (closer to 3, but whatever).

*and here's the crux.

I approve this message. Especially since the Tigers just signed Prince Fielder...

Kyle DeLexus 01-24-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8323742)
well, crap

Edit: what the hell is going on with Detroit? Has that city not fallen apart yet? There are people still going to games and watching the Tigers on TV in Detroit? How many more years till everyone's left that joint?

Well you have people like Rain Man retiring there on the cheap.

alnorth 01-24-2012 02:37 PM

It appears that the reports of Scott Boras' demise were greatly exaggerated. Whether some other team would have come close to it, or Detroit bailed him out we don't know, but in the future, the writers should save all their smug mockery of Boras and how he misjudged the market to his client's detriment until at least everyone signs or the season starts.

ChiefsCountry 01-24-2012 02:40 PM

Royals need to make a play for Edwin Jackson now.

kc rush 01-24-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8323742)
well, crap

Don't know. I did get negged for calling the place a crap hole though.

Our Time definitely needs additional pitching help now.

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 02:45 PM

Ugh. Yeah, that's the bitch of the whole situation; other teams are allowed to spend money and get better too.

Fielder going to Detroit is terrible, terrible news for KC.

KC_Connection 01-24-2012 02:48 PM

Now you know how I feel when the Yankees or Red Sox sign one of their expensive players every offseason.

The bar for KC to contend in the AL Central just went up for sure.

Saul Good 01-24-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8323790)
Ugh. Yeah, that's the bitch of the whole situation; other teams are allowed to spend money and get better too.

Fielder going to Detroit is terrible, terrible news for KC.

It sucks, but that contract could turn into a huge albatross for them down the road. It's not like he is some impressive specimen. 9 years at $24 million per is a HUGE gamble.

KC_Connection 01-24-2012 02:50 PM

Yeah...it's true, this could look pretty awful in a few years. I'll be interested to see how Fielder hits in what I consider to be the far superior league.

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 02:52 PM

The contract is certainly risky, but I honestly believe he'll, at the very least, come close to living up to the deal.

I know the eye test says fat slob, but the dude just seems to be an unusual specimen. If I were a Cards fan (thanks parents for not in-breeding), I would have been pushing to sign Fielder over re-signing Pujols given their respective contracts.

alnorth 01-24-2012 02:59 PM

Looked up the Tigers on Forbes' annual MLB report. They make about 30 million more in revenue than KC. However, on top of that they are operating on a loss of almost 30 million a year, so effectively its 60.

They have apparently been losing money for a long time, and will continue to lose money, but their owner is seemingly saying "hey, I'm worth 2 billion, so F it, I'm havin' fun!"

alnorth 01-24-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8323799)
It sucks, but that contract could turn into a huge albatross for them down the road. It's not like he is some impressive specimen. 9 years at $24 million per is a HUGE gamble.

By the time it turns into a huge albatross, our window will be almost closed. I expect him to be worth the money for at least 5 full years.

tk13 01-24-2012 03:00 PM

You can't go out and make a kneejerk signing because of this. Plus, Prince kills right handed pitching anyway. His OPS is like .200 lower against lefties. I don't think you should go get a left handed pitcher just because of Prince Fielder.

Cecil started going downhill after 32, and his peak years were 26-27. Not that it means Prince will... but it'll be interesting to see how we look back on the final years of these A-Rod/Pujols/Fielder contracts.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry 01-24-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 8323836)
They have apparently been losing money for a long time, and will continue to lose money, but their owner is seemingly saying "hey, I'm worth 2 billion, so F it, I'm havin' fun!"

Pizza Pizza! :p

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8323842)
You can't go out and make a kneejerk signing because of this.

Absolutely agree.

To me, though, what it says is that other teams in the division aren't just sitting around, patiently waiting for KC's prospects to develop so that the division can then be given to them as a birthday gift. Fielder's signing underscores DM's (and more importantly Glass's) responsibility to supplement the roster with talent, particularly from the FA ranks.

We need another starting pitcher. Fielder doesn't change this, but he does highlight our weakness.

tk13 01-24-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Looked up the Tigers on Forbes' annual MLB report. They make about 30 million more in revenue than KC. However, on top of that they are operating on a loss of almost 30 million a year, so effectively its 60.

Ilitch also owns the Red Wings.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 03:05 PM

I love their boots.

KC_Connection 01-24-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

I guess you've gotta respect an owner that is willing to go to these lengths to win. And win games, they certainly will.

DeezNutz 01-24-2012 03:08 PM

On a side note, I eagerly anticipate hearing Greinke bitch about not being able to win in Milwaukee.

Chiefless 01-24-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 8323868)
On a side note, I eagerly anticipate hearing Greinke bitch about not being able to win in Milwaukee.

Maybe he'll want to come back to KC to try and spite Fielder a few times a year. I kid.

BigCatDaddy 01-24-2012 03:15 PM

So does Cabrera move over to 3rd?

duncan_idaho 01-24-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 8323887)
So does Cabrera move over to 3rd?

Nope. He either plays 1B or DHs. Not sure which of the two is better at 1B (though neither is great).