ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc ***Official gardening, landscape and yardwork thread*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306544)

GloryDayz 03-24-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12796649)
What's that made out of? Is that the color because I really like it!

Looks like painted concrete. Bing-Image "painted concrete", it's amazing!

lewdog 03-24-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12796683)
Looks like painted concrete. Bing-Image "painted concrete", it's amazing!

Figured it probably was. And yes, that stuff can look absolutely beautiful.

cabletech94 03-24-2017 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 12795850)
Got a patio installed last week. Going to go the green thumb route instead of sod. spent $200+ over the last couple of days getting dirt and seed and such. Hopefully all will be well in 3 weeks.

that's great!

HonestChieffan 03-26-2017 07:44 AM

Feb 19 I planted spuds. Pretty deep because I was afraid of more frosts. Yesterday they started to come up. Crazy spring

Buzz 03-26-2017 04:17 PM

I put down pre emergent yesterday. Feldman's had it on sale, 18 lb bag of Hummert's DYNA GREEN for $12.99, bought 3 bags, each bag treats 5,400 sq ft. I guess this stuff is recommended by Toby Tobin, 15-0-5, never heard of it.

Buzz 03-26-2017 07:02 PM

So Dayz what brand do you go with? I may have been a few days late but apparently this stuff is pretty forgiving.

GloryDayz 03-26-2017 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 12799259)
So Dayz what brand do you go with? I may have been a few days late but apparently this stuff is pretty forgiving.

Scotts. So far so good.. I have some dandelions to deal with in the flower beds, but they'll be toast soon enough...

Buzz 03-26-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12799348)
Scotts. So far so good.. I have some dandelions to deal with in the flower beds, but they'll be toast soon enough...

Got a few of those myself, and that purple flower crap, and some clover. I have gone with weed and feed after pre emergent but with all that fertilzer, I don't want to mow twice a week. Going to spot spray for another month or so, then hit it with weed and feed.

GloryDayz 03-26-2017 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz (Post 12799371)
Got a few of those myself, and that purple flower crap, and some clover. I have gone with weed and feed after pre emergent but with all that fertilzer, I don't want to mow twice a week. Going to spot spray for another month or so, then hit it with weed and feed.

My plan too.. The fight for a beautiful lawn never ends. And not having a sprinkler system is a regret I've had for a long time..

wutamess 03-27-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12796649)
What's that made out of? Is that the color because I really like it!

Acid stained concrete. Going to talk to the installers to see if we can get it darker. I'm satisfied with the look now but the Mrs. always has something else in mind.

wutamess 03-27-2017 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12799381)
My plan too.. The fight for a beautiful lawn never ends. And not having a sprinkler system is a regret I've had for a long time..

I went the cheap route a couple of years ago and have pretty good results. Water timer and adjustable contouring sprinkler. Over time the sprinkler hose will get buried by the grass so all you see is the sprinkler which isn't THAT noticeable. I've had pretty satisfying results.

Just invested in 2 water timers with 2 outlets so until I get that in ground system, this will have to work. Will post pics of yard later.

wutamess 03-27-2017 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12790282)
Well shit, I just aerated (pitting 3-inch holes into the root system), then "prevented"!

I might end up saying that the "prevent defense" never works!

See, NFL is life!!!!!

Aeration is almost a waste. Next time use what you can rent at Home Depot called a overseeder spreader. It basically power rakes your yard, de-thatches it and spreads seed all at the same time. Had amazing results with it a couple of years ago.

GloryDayz 03-27-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 12799657)
I went the cheap route a couple of years ago and have pretty good results. Water timer and adjustable contouring sprinkler. Over time the sprinkler hose will get buried by the grass so all you see is the sprinkler which isn't THAT noticeable. I've had pretty satisfying results.

Just invested in 2 water timers with 2 outlets so until I get that in ground system, this will have to work. Will post pics of yard later.

Interesting....

GloryDayz 03-27-2017 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess (Post 12799662)
Aeration is almost a waste. Next time use what you can rent at Home Depot called a overseeder spreader. It basically power rakes your yard, de-thatches it and spreads seed all at the same time. Had amazing results with it a couple of years ago.

This dude?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...5859e_1000.jpg

Using a Honda mower (two blades) and I bag most of the year, so thatch isn't a problem. And I seen those deals, not far off of the aerators in form factor really. And, since I don't have a riding mower, what's pictured won't work very well.

wutamess 03-27-2017 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12799712)
This dude?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...5859e_1000.jpg

Using a Honda mower (two blades) and I bag most of the year, so thatch isn't a problem. And I seen those deals, not far off of the aerators in form factor really. And, since I don't have a riding mower, what's pictured won't work very well.

http://www6.homedepot.com/tool-truck...a-26_large.jpg