ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Music Vince Neil - superstar (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=291655)

InChiefsHeaven 04-04-2015 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11417903)
Without Dave, there would be no Van Halen.

He sang bebop over Eddie's heavy riffs and Alex's jazz drumming. They were completely unique and spawned millions of imitators and a whole brand of music.

Dave is an entertainer and either you like him or you don't. But to say he "sucks" is patently absurd.

You can't say it any better. Dave's one of my main musical influences as a front man, not that I tried to be "like" him, but that it's all about the show and entertainment. Sammy was good, Dave was GREAT.

Fire Me Boy! 04-04-2015 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 11418268)
You can't say it any better. Dave's one of my main musical influences as a front man, not that I tried to be "like" him, but that it's all about the show and entertainment. Sammy was good, Dave was GREAT.

Dave was crap the one time I saw him on stage.

Saccopoo 04-04-2015 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 11418268)

Dave was an entertainer. Right now, I'm not sure what you'd call him.

Watching him right now is a little embarrassing. As embarrassing as it was ever since post "Women and Children First."

Dude became a caricature of himself and it's only gotten worse.

I'm assuming it was the groupies flocking to his on-stage flamboyance that turned them into histronics. That and MTV. It seemed that Dave loved the camera and the limelight more than life itself.

However, he obviously loves it and it shows. Which is not a bad thing.

If it works for the fans and the band then I guess everything is okay.

cosmo20002 04-04-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11414817)
Didn't watch it all, but pretty interesting what I did watch. There's an interesting technique demo around 25 minutes in that I found fascinating.

And yeah, I can't remember EVH ever looking as healthy as he does now. He looks like your average 60-year-old man now, which is great to see. He's been pretty haggard at times over the years.

Pretty much. When they came to KC on the 1st reunion tour with DLR, Eddie was ripped, but rail-thin, like a drug addict.
When they were here maybe 3 years ago, he actually looked kind of chubby.
Now, he looks like a normal, in-shape guy. Most people sure don't look that good at 60.

cosmo20002 04-04-2015 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 11417349)
Dave sucks.

Dave's always sucked.

He had great hair in '82. That's about it.

I mean, ****. Did you listen to any of his solo shit? Maybe the worst music ever recorded.

Now that is crazy talk. Really ****ing crazy.

cosmo20002 04-04-2015 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 11417383)
Several years ago, I saw in KC the Sammy Hagar/DLR double bill. Throughout the tour, they swapped who went first, who went second.

Sammy went first and did a few of his VH hits, but mostly his solo stuff. The Red Rockers (that's his band, right?) were there, Michael Anthony came out and played a little bass on the VH songs. Really, a kick ass concert. Would definitely do it again.

DLR played the second half. Pretty much his entire setlist was VH tunes. And he sucked. We left partway into DLR's fourth song.

I went to that. I missed out on seeing the DLR VH, so it was my first time seeing Dave live and I was pumped. I "liked" Sammy and "Van Hagar," but I ****ing loved the DLR VH.

Sammy came out I was actually surprised at how good he was. His stuff was always 'ok' to me, but he just sounded great live. Put on a great show.

Then DLR came out and I was completely underwhelmed. He was just--weird. And just kind of awkward. He's always been weird off-stage, but on stage, he just was not what I expected.

cosmo20002 04-04-2015 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11417405)
Whatever, mang... so he couldnt hit the high notes anymore, few singers his age can.

My two biggest takeaways from that spot are...

1) wow, Wolfgang is a tub of goo.

2) Poor Dave, he used to have that glorious lions mane and now look at him... I know EXACTLY how he must feel, it sucks, bad.

He's a big boy.

I'm not a musician, but from what I can see and hear, the guy looks like he can play. I've seen some clips of him on guitar and drums too--looks like he can just flat-out play anything. And he does a decent impression of Michael Anthony's vocals.

From what I've read, he was really the one that kick-started the whole reunion with Roth and got dad to get off his ass and start finishing songs that had been laying around since the 70s and finally put out a new album with Roth.

DaneMcCloud 04-04-2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11419112)
He's a big boy.

I'm not a musician, but from what I can see and hear, the guy looks like he can play. I've seen some clips of him on guitar and drums too--looks like he can just flat-out play anything. And he does a decent impression of Michael Anthony's vocals.

From what I've read, he was really the one that kick-started the whole reunion with Roth and got dad to get off his ass and start finishing songs that had been laying around since the 70s and finally put out a new album with Roth.

Wolf is a monster musician and a great singer. While I've yet to hear it, I've been told by people I respect that his upcoming solo album is awesome.

Brock 04-04-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11419456)
Wolf is a monster musician and a great singer. While I've yet to hear it, I've been told by people I respect that his upcoming solo album is awesome.

I must hear this.

Bowser 04-05-2015 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 11419685)
I must hear this.

Seconded

Easy 6 04-05-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11419112)
He's a big boy.

If he's the one responsible for getting the gang back together, then God bless him... will never forget the first time I heard "Cant Get This Stuff No More" on the radio, that shit was magic.

It was like stepping back in time, like they'd never left... Dave is the perfect fit for that band.

alpha_omega 04-05-2015 07:46 PM

Ok...i wanted to check in with this thread again. I caught a little flak for saying that Dave sucked, so i wanted to expand a little on that.

First, let me say that i always have been a huge VH fan. Back in the day, the walls of my room were covered with posters and many of those were VH posters. Have seen them live with both Dave and Sam and thoroughly enjoyed both renditions. That being said...for me...VH was never about the singer regardless of who it was...it was all about Ed and what he did/does with the guitar.

In thinking about this thread i went back and listened to both of the Dave solo albums in my collection.... Skyscraper and A Little Aint Enough. I hadn't listened to them in a while and i still enjoyed them both. I also went back and listened to the Dave era VH albums i have...no complaints there either...Dave is fine.

My complaint was simply with the current state of Dave and that he flat out doesn't sound very good. I know some of you disagree with that, but after watching the Ellen clip again...i still stick with my original post that Dave sucks.

However, yesterday i was driving listening to HairNation on XM radio and they were talking about this very same subject. I am not a Twitter person, but apparently (according to HairNation) the reaction there was very similar to my opinion. Anyway, as Luc Carl was discussing it...he said something like..."ya, he can't really do it anymore, but he was great so we should all give him a pass". So...guess i'll go with Luc Carl.

Saccopoo 04-05-2015 10:48 PM

Listen to the Ellen concert and then any VH concert from the mid-80's.

Dave sounds the same.