ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs OverTheCap.com: Chiefs 2015 Salary Cap Outlook (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290428)

Chief Roundup 02-05-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 11312917)
QB?

:evil: LMAO :p :LOL: ROFL

Discuss Thrower 02-05-2015 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11312657)
What young talent is Dorsey moving on from while rebuilding?

McCluster? Signed for 4m per
Albert? IR after half season after missing the end of 2013.
Flowers? Missed time and we ended up with a higher rated secondary after cutting him
Asamoah? 4.5 per year for him.. No
Dorsey?...dude has been broken since he left
Tyson Jackson? Hahahahaha
Kendrick Lewis? Hahaha
Javier Arenas? Hahaha
Tony Moeaki? Can't fix bones made of crackers

I'm failing to see which moves I'd reverse ...

Signing Smith based on one playoff game instead of extending Houston last year.

Back to back reaches with first round draft picks.

Signing Chase Daniel to an atrociously bad contract two years ago.

Opting for a gadget player in Thomas over just about any position of need on the team in the 14 draft.

BossChief 02-05-2015 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 11312906)
That is the reason we drafted Fisher to get rid of Alberts big number. We drafted Ford to get rid of Halis big number. We will draft this year to get rid of someone elses big number. Just look at where the money is at or is going to be at soon and you will see high potential in drafting those positions.

That's part of being a good gm.

Replacing aging talent that is on the downward side of their careers.

Albert is gonna be 31, is injury prone and got a huge contract that Miami might have to eat.

Hali is due 12 million and only had 6 sacks while showing signs of breaking down.

Bowe isn't worth 14 million, is he?

I think it's smart to draft replacements ahead of time so they have time to learn the reigns from the vets.

Chiefnj2 02-05-2015 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11312769)
Albert only played in 9 games last year and missed 7 games in the previous 2 years combined.

Missing 14 games the last 3 years is very significant.

He will also turn 31 next year and is clearly showing signs of breaking down.

Not sure he is gonna prove to be worth 20m guaranteed and a 5yr 47m contract...

He probably won't be worth his contract. Sadly, it doesn't look like Fisher will be worth his contract or draft slot either.

BossChief 02-05-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11312928)

Opting for a gadget player in Thomas over just about any position of need on the team in the 14 draft.

Houston didn't want to sign then. It's obvious that he chose to gamble on himself. Even as a rookie he was the last guy to sign even though they were slotted contracts. The guy wants EVERY DIME.

I think Fisher was a reach, but basically every single scout didn't. Hopefully a full offseason of strength training and working on his technique will save his career. Dee Ford was a legit pick and might end up the best pass rusher of his draft class. He sure looked to have the tools to be a difference maker in limited time.

I hated the Daniel signing. I do think they will trade him though. I know not many think that's possible.

Drafting Thomas was brilliant. The guy is a weapon on offense and special teams...not sure how anyone could say that was a bad pick.

Chiefnj2 02-05-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11312994)
Houston didn't want to sign then. It's obvious that he chose to gamble on himself. Even as a rookie he was the last guy to sign even though they were slotted contracts. The guy wants EVERY DIME.

I think Fisher was a reach, but basically every single scout didn't. Hopefully a full offseason of strength training and working on his technique will save his career. Dee Ford was a legit pick and might end up the best pass rusher of his draft class. He sure looked to have the tools to be a difference maker in limited time.

I hated the Daniel signing. I do think they will trade him though. I know not many think that's possible.

Drafting Thomas was brilliant. The guy is a weapon on offense and special teams...not sure how anyone could say that was a bad pick.

DAT wasn't really a weapon on offense.

Red Dawg 02-05-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 11313008)
DAT wasn't really a weapon on offense.

OMG, our rookie wasn't an instant weapon on offense! How can that be? Maybe he was learning? No, not learning.

RunKC 02-05-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

If he didn't sign him we'd now have both these guys to sign right now and that would be very difficult, especially with other teams trying to get Alex.

It's hard enough signing Houston.

chiefzilla1501 02-05-2015 11:15 PM

Quote:

How can anyone be pissed about drafting DAT? It's not like he was a first round pick.

BigRock 02-06-2015 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 11312500)
1) Berry won't count against the cap at all in 2015 and didn't count against the cap after his diagnosis last year. His 8.357 will be fully available.

Don't you think the article might have mentioned this if it were true? Players on NFI aren't exempt from the cap. Teams have the option not to pay them, but it rarely happens. Usually they just pay them some smaller percentage of what they were set to make. But even if it was common for a player to be paid nothing, it would never happen with Berry.

As the article stated, they'll work something out with him. But it's not going to free up $8M in cap space. Probably nowhere near it.

Chiefnj2 02-06-2015 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 11313046)
OMG, our rookie wasn't an instant weapon on offense! How can that be? Maybe he was learning? No, not learning.

He said he WAS a weapon on offense. Not that he CAN be or COULD be.

Less than 300 yards combined receiving and rushing isn't a weapon.

And, Dexter had a 2 million dollar cap hit last year, not the 4 that was being thrown around. I think Dex would have been worth the 3 year 9 mil contract since no other receiver on the team last year came close to matching his 2013 productivity.

keg in kc 02-06-2015 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 11313318)
Don't you think the article might have mentioned this if it were true? Players on NFI aren't exempt from the cap. Teams have the option not to pay them, but it rarely happens. Usually they just pay them some smaller percentage of what they were set to make. But even if it was common for a player to be paid nothing, it would never happen with Berry.

As the article stated, they'll work something out with him. But it's not going to free up $8M in cap space. Probably nowhere near it.

I believe you are correct. What I remember reading (fuzzily, so this may not be 100%...) is that they're not obligated to pay his 2015 salary if they go NFI, but the pro-rated portions of his contract will still hit the cap. Which means basically the same number they'd get if they cut him. Something like five and a half million. And I can't imagine them making either one of those total dick moves. Like you I'm expecting they'll work some other kind of deal out so they continue to pay him something. Don't even want to imagine the kind of pr shitstorm we'd see if they turned their back on a guy fighting cancer to free up an extra couple million in cap space. Not the kind of thing you probably want to see running on espn during the dead period, much less trending on Twitter with other nfl players past and present talking about it.

chiefzilla1501 02-06-2015 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 11313327)
He said he WAS a weapon on offense. Not that he CAN be or COULD be.

Less than 300 yards combined receiving and rushing isn't a weapon.

And, Dexter had a 2 million dollar cap hit last year, not the 4 that was being thrown around. I think Dex would have been worth the 3 year 9 mil contract since no other receiver on the team last year came close to matching his 2013 productivity.

He still gives you the ability to run the jet sweep, which forces the defense to stay on their toes. Weapon may be a strong word, but he was a factor on offense. If he improves his receiving skills, which he should, he will undoubtedly be a weapon.

Warpaint69 02-06-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11313362)
He still gives you the ability to run the jet sweep, which forces the defense to stay on their toes. Weapon may be a strong word, but he was a factor on offense. If he improves his receiving skills, which he should, he will undoubtedly be a weapon.

Between the stupid Colleges like Oregon that have semesters ending late and his injury to start the season he missed a ton a valuable time to get worked into the offense. You can see that DAT is way more explosive with the ball than McCluster ever was. I'll take DAT all day long compared to the overpaid McCluster.

McCluster got just over $2 million last season and DAT got just over $525,000. The Punt return game didn't skip a beat, but yes he wasn't as much of a WR threat as McCluster had been, yet. Complaining about DAT is beyond dumb.

chiefzilla1501 02-06-2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warpaint69 (Post 11313367)
Between the stupid Colleges like Oregon that have semesters ending late and his injury to start the season he missed a ton a valuable time to get worked into the offense. You can see that DAT is way more explosive with the ball than McCluster ever was. I'll take DAT all day long compared to the overpaid McCluster.

Plus ota rules negotiated in the new cba. Virtually impossible these days for rookies to be a factor. I do think mccluster is missed, but in a different way. Mccluster is more Jason Avant than he is DAT.