ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Music 2015 Rock Hall Of Fame Class Includes Lou Reed, Joan Jett, Green Day (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=289195)

DaneMcCloud 12-19-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202762)
STILL DEAD TO ME.

Interesting side note that I love... Kurt LOVED using Silvertone guitars because of their cheap quality and ratty sound. I've owned a Silvertone and he was right, they're the perfect punk guitar... "who needs a fuzz pedal? I've got a Silvertone".

LMAO

Yeah, the Silvertone/Danelectro guitars were and are cool. It's the lipstick pickups. :D

eDave 12-19-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 11202762)
STILL DEAD TO ME.

Interesting side note that I love... Kurt LOVED using Silvertone guitars because of their cheap quality and ratty sound. I've owned a Silvertone and he was right, they're the perfect punk guitar... "who needs a fuzz pedal? I've got a Silvertone".

I've got an old Yamaha that does the same thing due to a bad nut. Just hit the open G-string!

cosmo20002 12-20-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11202673)
Well, I'm with you in that regard. I don't understand the appeal of Green Day, as they don't speak to me at all. Yet I've got friends the same age that absolutely love them.

I never cared for Nirvana, either. They're like a "dark" Cheap Trick. AIC and Soundgarden were my favorite artists during that period yet "Nevermind" sold more than 75 million records.

That seems high. Typo?

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 11204423)
That seems high. Typo?

Oops, yeah. That's somewhere around their total number. Nevermind has done around 32 million. Their live record did 25 million.

Redonk numbers.

Bowser 12-20-2014 12:56 PM

Never could get into Nirvana, no matter how hard I tried. And hell, Cobain ended up being not even the best musician in his own band.

And as for Green Day - I like them fine and they've had plenty of success, but doesn't it seem a tad early for them to be HoF'ers?

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2014 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11204800)
Never could get into Nirvana, no matter how hard I tried. And hell, Cobain ended up being not even the best musician in his own band.

And as for Green Day - I like them fine and they've had plenty of success, but doesn't it seem a tad early for them to be HoF'ers?

Green Day's a talented, popular and successful band that should, eventually, be in the Hall of Fame.

But over Deep Purple? Who on the planet doesn't know "Smoke on the Water"? That's one, if not the, most iconic guitar riffs of all time.

As much as I loved Rush as a young teenager (and even bought a Rickenbacker 2001 bass because of Geddy!), they went in before Deep Purple, too.

Wha?

Bowser 12-20-2014 01:16 PM

Agreed. Deep Purple were pioneers for the sound. Them being out makes no sense.

The only album of theirs I ever bought was the one where Joe Lynn Turner was lead singer. By then you could probably argue that Deep Purple wasn't really Deep Purple anymore. :D

DaneMcCloud 12-20-2014 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11204818)
Agreed. Deep Purple were pioneers for the sound. Them being out makes no sense.

The only album of theirs I ever bought was the one where Joe Lynn Turner was lead singer. By then you could probably argue that Deep Purple wasn't really Deep Purple anymore. :D

You need a copy of Machine Head! I've had it on a USB stick in the car since 2011. When my oldest was four, she'd sing along to Smoke on the Water while driving to preschool. Even now, it's one of her most requested songs (along with Foo Fighters & Slash).

I listened to the whole record yesterday and was just amazed how well it's stood the test of time.

Maybe the R&R HOF members need to take another listen...

ptlyon 12-20-2014 02:01 PM

Green day? **** that noise.

carcosa 12-20-2014 05:14 PM

when are they gonna let The Archies in

carcosa 12-20-2014 05:18 PM

Barenaked Ladies should be in too

bandwagonjumper 12-21-2014 05:06 AM

As a non US american I find the concept of Hall of Fame rather strange. I quite like it for major sport like football or baseball. I would maybe like it for soccer but for rock 'n roll its ridicilous. I remember reading here there was a hall of fame for missouri.

threebag 12-21-2014 08:29 AM

Deep Purple should def be in.

Check out FIREBALL.
"anyone's daughter" great song.

Easy 6 12-21-2014 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandwagonjumper (Post 11206204)
As a non US american I find the concept of Hall of Fame rather strange. I quite like it for major sport like football or baseball. I would maybe like it for soccer but for rock 'n roll its ridicilous. I remember reading here there was a hall of fame for missouri.

Yes, the rock hall is pretty much a big joke... when Madonna and Public Enemy are in over actual rock bands like Priest, Deep Purple etc, then that says all that needs said about it.