ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Misc I don't want to panic anyone, but Ebola may be coming to a town near you (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285305)

Miles 08-02-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 10772097)
How is it transmitted?

Humans are not the natural hosts of the Ebola virus, and it's believed that the first person in any outbreak became infected through contact with an infected animal, the CDC says. Animals that are reported to have spread disease to humans include chimpanzees, gorillas, forest antelopes and cynomolgus monkeys, according to the World Health Organization. Once one person has become infected, the disease can spread from person to person through contact with the blood, saliva, mucus or other secretions. In the countries where Ebola has occurred, the disease is frequently spread in health care settings to workers who have had contact with patients and do not wear protective clothing or masks, the CDC says. Re-use of contaminated needles can also spread the disease.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AZ0UpT7Xk4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rasputin 08-02-2014 12:44 PM

I've seen this movie before

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AgZ5goJibn0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dmahurin 08-02-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10790111)
You're right. They said there was at least one strain that humans can catch but don't seem to be harmed by. I think they said some researchers contracted that strain from some rhesus monkeys or something.

Maybe the report I read included all cases of Ebola, not just the one that is most fatal.

If I recall right, depending on the strain it's any where from a 25% to 90% mortality rate. Which is scary considering the Spanish influenza in the teens had a 2% mortality rate.

seamonster 08-02-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10789969)
Yep, i don't give a shit how many safety precautions they are taking. The risks are too great, you don't bring Ebola INTO the country.

If doctors and scientist was to study and treat the patients then send them do it in some remote medical facility in a country we don't care about.

Pakistan would be a wonderful place to treat a deadly disease.

I'm not scared by ebola as much as how people in the midwest are so ****ing stupid and ignorant to modern medicine. The sheer breadth of paranoia and ignorance that exists in the US in redneck infested areas is ****ing astounding. A third world developing monkey virus that spreads when people wipe their ass with their hand isn't going to infect your grandmother, genius.

Mr. Laz 08-02-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 10790288)
I'm not scared by ebola as much as how people in the midwest are so ****ing stupid and ignorant to modern medicine. The sheer breadth of paranoia and ignorance that exists in the US in redneck infested areas is ****ing astounding. A third world developing monkey virus that spreads when people wipe their ass with their hand isn't going to infect your grandmother, genius.

I hit a nerve, must be from pakistan

Oh and GFY

seamonster 08-02-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10790298)
I hit a nerve, must be from pakistan

Oh and GFY

Eastern Seaboard.

BeeHo 08-02-2014 02:39 PM

don't worry.

Cuban, Hoffman and Spacey are on the job.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPfx66g3T4...Outbreak+2.jpg

BWillie 08-02-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10790031)
Just read that there have been 1300-ish reported cases and 700-ish deaths. That's a far cry from the 90% death rate I had been reading about. Plus, you have to take into account that those cases all originated in Africa with no where near our level of awareness about the disease or medical technology.

I may be off base here, but it doesn't sound like this will wipe out any large percentage of the population.

Yeah cuz a disease even with a 60% mortality rate that kills you in less than a week, causing you to bleed out of your eyes is no big deal. A disease mind you that has shown a propensity to maybe become an airborne virus at some point of time, with many different strands.

BWillie 08-02-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Your bigotry is strong my friend.

BWillie 08-02-2014 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 10790310)
Eastern Seaboard.

Of course you are. Of course.

KCrockaholic 08-02-2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

I usually go to Chiefsplanet and vent when I'm angry.

Chief Roundup 08-02-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeeHo (Post 10790321)
don't worry.

Cuban, Hoffman and Spacey are on the job.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPfx66g3T4...Outbreak+2.jpg

Think you mean Gooding Jr. His first name is Cuba. He is not Cuban either.

ptlyon 08-02-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 10790310)
Eastern Seaboard.

Explains why you're a douche

ThaVirus 08-02-2014 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 10790324)
Yeah cuz a disease even with a 60% mortality rate that kills you in less than a week, causing you to bleed out of your eyes is no big deal. A disease mind you that has shown a propensity to maybe become an airborne virus at some point of time, with many different strands.

It doesn't kill you in less than a week. A lot of people carry the virus for weeks before they even start to show symptoms, most of which mirror those of common illnesses like the flu, malaria and shit.

But what I was trying to say is that I was hearing that it kills 90% of people in what amounts to back water 3rd world countries. Now I'm finding that it's closer to 50%.

Combine our superior medical technology with our knowledge of a possible pandemic and it's very unlikely that this disease would wipe out any sizable portion of the population.

ThaVirus 08-02-2014 05:27 PM

... And how does a virus "show a propensity to maybe go airborne"?