ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Sleepy Hollow (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273051)

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9988763)
Wasn't Kevin Spacey heavily involved with Netflix's House of Cards? Maybe that has experience has something to do with his comments.

When famous actors are listed as "Producer", it's done for revenue sharing, not any "real" production work.

keg in kc 09-17-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9988779)
When famous actors are listed as "Producer", its due to revenue sharing, not any "real" production work.

I wasn't making any kind of comment about that. I've never seen the show, so I have no idea how he was billed...

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9988739)
Maybe it's time to break the paradigm? No one can deny that the cable networks and Netflix are kicking network TV butt when it comes to dramatic TV shows.

That doesn't mean they aren't making pilots.

Often times, when networks pass, premium channels decide to pick them up.

Also, premium channels get a large chunk of revenues from subscribers, so they don't need the HUGE numbers that networks need to stay alive.

007 09-17-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9988765)
That's a combined number. But the cost of creating brand new program, from actors to sets to screenwriters, etc., is high.

I know it is combined. It is still beyond ridiculous. I find it ludicrous the money that is spent in Hollywood. I suppose it is a double edged sword in that you have to scratch and claw to make it in that town and once you do, if you aren't stupid with your money, you are set for life.

I really do wish we could do away with pilots. Hell, even LOST didn't give away much in their pilot and it went 5 years. Was that one only truly picked up because Abrams was behind it?

Though I am not really that big into a lot of the cable dramas, I can see why people like them. More original than anything on network TV and not afraid to take risks with the show.

Deberg_1990 09-17-2013 08:17 PM

Did anyone watch any of the Amazon pilots they threw up a few months back? I guess people voted and they are taking 2 or 3 of them to series.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9988796)
I know it is combined. It is still beyond ridiculous. I find it ludicrous the money that is spent in Hollywood. I suppose it is a double edged sword in that you have to scratch and claw to make it in that town and once you do, if you aren't stupid with your money, you are set for life.

I really do wish we could do away with pilots. Hell, even LOST didn't give away much in their pilot and it went 5 years. Was that one only truly picked up because Abrams was behind it?

Though I am not really that big into a lot of the cable dramas, I can see why people like them. More original than anything on network TV and not afraid to take risks with the show.

Pilots need to be created, regardless of network affiliation. Networks aren't just going to hand over $4-$10 million per week without first seeing the product, how actors relate, the writing, etc.

And I'm not sure why you're surprised at that number. A hit show that makes it to syndication will earn billions.

Buehler445 09-17-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9988825)
Pilots need to be created, regardless of network affiliation. Networks aren't just going to hand over $4-$10 million per week without first seeing the product, how actors relate, the writing, etc.

And I'm not sure why you're surprised at that number. A hit show that makes it to syndication will earn billions.

Yeah, shit doesn't work without the pilot. It may sound like a winner on paper but doesn't translate on TV.

The only change I can see is instead of showing the pilot as the first episode, they could possibly do like a season 1 overview and act out some scenes and get more of a story going, and then just start with the first episode.

007 09-17-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9988825)

Because we keep seeing good shows get cancelled. I don't know if it is because they are just on the wrong nights, wrong timeslots or what. I'm just sick of getting invested in something to watch it disappear. Another thing, this is more for the writers, don't write a ****ing cliffhanger if you haven't been ****ing renewed for another season. **** that!!!!

I going to watch this show because I know I am going to like it. I have no doubt that Fox is going to abandon it just like they do everything else too.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9988946)
Because we keep seeing good shows get cancelled. I don't know if it is because they are just on the wrong nights, wrong timeslots or what. I'm just sick of getting invested in something to watch it disappear. Another thing, this is more for the writers, don't write a ****ing cliffhanger if you haven't been ****ing renewed for another season. **** that!!!!

I going to watch this show because I know I am going to like it. I have no doubt that Fox is going to abandon it just like they do everything else too.

Programs are canceled due to lack of viewership. Networks can't afford to air shows that don't earn a profit or that lose money. Depending on the cost of a show, it might as many as five times the number of viewers of a network program versus a cable program.

007 09-17-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9988961)
Programs are canceled due to lack of viewership. Networks can't afford to air shows that don't earn a profit or that lose money. Depending on the cost of a show, it might as many as five times the number of viewers of a network program versus a cable program.

I'll be the first to admit that America is full of stupid people. Why else would the airwaves be flooded with reality TV. I think that phase is starting to go away. At least a little bit. I still blame networks to a degree though because they have very short leashes for new shows yet hang on to shows that have worn out their welcome. If a show is thrown on Friday or Saturday you might as well just forget about watching it. They rarely survive.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9989066)
I'll be the first to admit that America is full of stupid people. Why else would the airwaves be flooded with reality TV. I think that phase is starting to go away. At least a little bit.

Duck Dynasty
debuted with almost 12 million viewers this week. On the hand, Game of Thrones biggest audience was 5.3 million.

It's not going away, and I certainly HOPE it doesn't go away or I'm ****ed. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9989066)
I still blame networks to a degree though because they have very short leashes for new shows yet hang on to shows that have worn out their welcome. If a show is thrown on Friday or Saturday you might as well just forget about watching it. They rarely survive.

It's all about ratings and ad buys. I was upset that Journeyman was cancelled a few years back but the numbers were awful. Meanwhile, Two and Half Men repeats last year were getting 20 million viewers a week.

Raiderhater 09-17-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9989303)

Duck Dynasty
debuted with almost 12 million viewers this week. On the hand, Game of Thrones biggest audience was 5.3 million.

Kind of hard to compare those two seeing as how GOT is on a premium channel that a lot of people are not going to spend the extra money for.

007 09-17-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9989303)

Duck Dynasty

It's not going away, and I certainly HOPE it doesn't go away or I'm ****ed. :(

It's all about ratings and ad buys. I was upset that Journeyman was cancelled a few years back but the numbers were awful. Meanwhile, Two and Half Men repeats last year were getting 20 million viewers a week.

I didn't realize you were that big into it with your career. Is that becoming your primary money maker?

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiderhader (Post 9989321)
Kind of hard to compare those two seeing as how GOT is on a premium channel that a lot of people are not going to spend the extra money for.

My point was directed at the fact that reality TV is not slipping or going away.

Sleepy Hollow
, on Fox, had 10 million viewers last night. Duck Dynasty, on A&E, had nearly 12 million.

DaneMcCloud 09-17-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9989334)
I didn't realize you were that big into it with your career. Is that becoming your primary money maker?

500 episodes alone this year to date. And I was just talking out loud, not trying to be a jerk. :)