ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Excerpts from Marty Schottenheimer's book (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270623)

Hammock Parties 03-16-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9504802)
ends badly

Marty would not have done well in the aughts?

He did OK in SD.

lcarus 03-16-2013 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9504824)
Marty would not have done well in the aughts?

He did OK in SD.

He's like the Peyton Manning of coaches. Rapes in the regular season, but has a rough time in the playoffs. If Marty was our coach when we played Peyton in the playoffs in 2003, both teams would have lost due to a skud missile hitting the stadium or something.

DaneMcCloud 03-16-2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9504827)
He's like the Peyton Manning of coaches. Rapes in the regular season, but has a rough time in the playoffs. If Marty was our coach when we played Peyton in the playoffs in 2003, both teams would have lost due to a skud missile hitting the stadium or something.

That was 2004: Herm versus Marty.

They went to overtime in the playoffs because both teams were playing not to lose.

lcarus 03-16-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9504834)
That was 2004: Herm versus Marty.

They went to overtime in the playoffs because both teams were playing not to lose.

Lol. "You play to not lose the game!"

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2013 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9504795)
In retrospect he was a master marketer and uh, financial success strategist.

If he had been 10 percent better as a talent evaluator he's probably got a SB ring.

And he was a dick, but man he was our dick.

Carl Peterson knew his audience better than any GM in the NFL. He's actually a fascinating individual. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of his negotiations with Tait's agent.

DaneMcCloud 03-16-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9504857)
Carl Peterson knew his audience better than any GM in the NFL. He's actually a fascinating individual. I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of his negotiations with Tait's agent.

I'd rather have been present in the room

Carl was probably so pissed he killed all the flies and ate them.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2013 01:48 AM

I know he called him a foot-shuffling porter, but I don't know much else about the interaction. What got him so pissed?

DaneMcCloud 03-16-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9504880)
I know he called him a foot-shuffling porter, but I don't know much else about the interaction. What got him so pissed?

Tait or his agent?

I always thought that phrase was reserved for Gunther.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...sh.html?pg=all

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2013 02:01 AM

I guess I have my history mixed up. STFD and STFU was Tait/Tait's agent then?

lcarus 03-16-2013 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9504871)
I'd rather have been present in the room

Carl was probably so pissed he killed all the flies and ate them.

In fact, I think the fart that bounced off his leather chair killed all the flies in the room instantly.

DaneMcCloud 03-16-2013 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9504888)
I guess I have my history mixed up. STFD and STFU was Tait/Tait's agent then?

There came a point during the negotiations where things became extremely heated. For whatever reason, John Tait was actually in the room while that totally incompetent dumbass, Ethan Locke, was negotiating Tait's contract.

Tait stood up, said he needed to leave the room for some fresh air and Carl blurted out "Shut the **** up and sit the **** down".

I know that a lot of people blamed Carl for Tait's absence in training camp and for signing late, but the truth of the matter is that Locke was a dildo who was in way over his head and had no business as an NFL agent.

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-16-2013 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9504896)
There came a point during the negotiations where things became extremely heated. For whatever reason, John Tait was actually in the room while that totally incompetent dumbass, Ethan Locke, was negotiating Tait's contract.

Tait stood up, said he needed to leave the room for some fresh air and Carl blurted out "Shut the **** up and sit the **** down".

I know that a lot of people blamed Carl for Tait's absence in training camp and for signing late, but the truth of the matter is that Locke was a dildo who was in way over his head and had no business as an NFL agent.

I was pretty sure that was the story, but the specifics just make me ROFL. Carl was like a cartoon character at times.

Dave Lane 03-16-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9503149)
The what? :spock:

The morning paper pup.

buddha 03-16-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent V (Post 9455520)
The key lime pie bit makes me smile.

Me too.

A simple act of kindness is often remembered years later.

Rausch 03-16-2013 08:46 AM

People hate but Marty was a great Coach.

He was not a great talent evaluator.
He was not an innovator - he did not dream up some new offensive or defensive scheme.
Marty had the ability to elevate the play of all those that played for him.
Marty was a motivator.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd give him an 8+.

He was too friendly. He was too willing to let a GM (Cleveland and Here) dictate his team.

It appeared that he finally grew some testes the 2nd half of that year he spent in Washington.

In SD he was a completely different HC.

To this day he's the only HC we've had that I feel any sympathy at all for...