ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Hypothetical: Pioli and Crennel are gone. You get your choice for new Head Coach, and (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267905)

Mr. Flopnuts 12-21-2012 03:37 PM

This is really a thread fail. I've been on drafting a QB literally as long as anyone. I just know that we're going to need EVERYTHING, literally everything to line up for us. I guess we have most of it lined up. We just need Clark to make the right moves, and get the right guys in here to make it happen.

O.city 12-21-2012 03:39 PM

Thats why you pair Geno with Cowher and roll on............................Ha

(I'm sure this will get a rise, fire away)

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-21-2012 03:39 PM

Sweet JFC NO.

keg in kc 12-21-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9230415)
This is really a thread fail. I've been on drafting a QB literally as long as anyone. I just know that we're going to need EVERYTHING, literally everything to line up for us. I guess we have most of it lined up. We just need Clark to make the right moves, and get the right guys in here to make it happen.

Things are lining up. The question is whether they'll choose to take advantage of it. Like I said, #1 isn't a position that you find yourself in very often. And while I realize I just said something about how I think coaches in some ways have less value than quarterbacks, I really do think that Romeo Crennel has been as responsible for the failure this season as Matt Cassel has. His soft philosophy has just destroyed the team. Now maybe I'm just a moon-brained homer, and maybe there isn't any talent here at all, but I think this is the kind of situation where a change in philosophy (something we've been talking about needing for literally years; the team's been soft since at least 2001) could legitimately lead to a quick and dramatic turnaround. But it does need to be the right GM, the right coach, and of course a QB who can actually get the job done.

Unfortunately we've seen what the wrong GM, the wrong coach(es) and of course the wrong QBs get you. And I'm not just talking about Pioli and Haley/Crennel and Cassel when I say that.

the Talking Can 12-21-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9230415)

you're just over thinking it

obviously we need a competent gm and coach

but it is more important to get the QB right...one, because they're the rarest commodity...you can hire and fire coaches and gms every year if you want to....but you can only draft the qbs that are available that year and only if you're in a draft position to do so

and two, because they're simply more important...we can all list coaches and gms that we think only won titles because of the QB...the reverse is basically unheard of

O.city 12-21-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9230445)

but it is more important to get the QB right...one, because they're the rarest commodity...you can hire and fire coaches and gms every year if you want to....but you can only draft the qbs that are available that year and only if you're in a draft position to do so

and two, because they're simply more important...we can all list coaches and gms that we think only won titles because of the QB...the reverse is basically unheard of

This is something I was thinking about this morning. It's pretty much extinct that a coach can just take a team to the SB without having a QB make plays. Hell some would say Harbaugh last year got close but both the Harbaugh's had QB's who made plays to get them there.

Molitoth 12-21-2012 04:00 PM

Some good points all over this thread.

CoMoChief 12-21-2012 04:05 PM

Bill Kuharic GM
Chip Kelly HC
Geno Smith QB (Trade down - he's not worth #1 overall pick)

O.city 12-21-2012 04:06 PM

Again with the not worth 1 pick.

What makes him worth the 5 pick, but not the first.

Molitoth 12-21-2012 04:07 PM

If geno smith isn't worth the #1 pick, then who the hell is that some team is going to give away picks to trade up for? A left tackle? A linebacker? How often do teams trade up to get those positions?

DeezNutz 12-21-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9230465)
Bill Kuharic GM
Chip Kelly HC

:facepalm:

Who the **** is a team moving up for? A mediocre LT? An overrated ILB?

Stay where the **** we are and draft Smith.

BigMeatballDave 12-21-2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9230465)
Bill Kuharic GM

:LOL:

Mr. Flopnuts 12-21-2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9230445)

I am over thinking it. And this is a good post. I can't be the only one here though that is a little nervous about what's about to unfold. I feel like my entire fandom is on the line...

whoman69 12-21-2012 04:27 PM

It doesn't matter if Geno is worth the # 1 overall slot or no. If he is the best QB prospect in this draft, the Chiefs absolutely have to draft him. I would rather have the Chiefs try and fail than to have another year where we strap up somebody else's retread and call it good. If it fails we can do it again in a few years.

keg in kc 12-21-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9230508)
I am over thinking it. And this is a good post. I can't be the only one here though that is a little nervous about what's about to unfold. I feel like my entire fandom is on the line...

I think this is one of those "you don't have any control over it, so why worry" situations. They're going to do whatever they decide to do, and nothing that you or me or anybody else says is going to have any influence over it. And you'll still be a fan regardless. Because we're all masochists.