ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=224227)

Frazod 06-21-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8692861)
It was/is a great way to get people to read about historical events/people. I actually learned a lot about Lincoln that I didn't know. The vampire twist was just an interesting way to get me there. Kind of like drinking a 6 pack before hitting on 5 at the bar at the end of the night.

I particularly liked the author's take on Roanoke.

Deberg_1990 06-21-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8692861)
It was/is a great way to get people to read about historical events/people. I actually learned a lot about Lincoln that I didn't know. The vampire twist was just an interesting way to get me there. Kind of like drinking a 6 pack before hitting on 5 at the bar at the end of the night.

Heh, it does sort of beg the question.....could they do this sort of thing with a modern era president? I don’t think they could and get away with it. Would most likely be an uproar.

Jimmy Carter Zombie Slayer?
Ronald Reagan Martian Killer?

......Maybe Bill Clinton Poon Hunter

mr. tegu 06-21-2012 02:04 PM

My initial reaction was that it would be horrendous but the more previews I see of it, it seems like it will be entertaining. It doesn't feel like they are trying to make some serious vampire movie like a lot of them have been lately.

Frazod 06-21-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8693314)
My initial reaction was that it would be horrendous but the more previews I see of it, it seems like it will be entertaining. It doesn't feel like they are trying to make some serious vampire movie like a lot of them have been lately.

The book was absolutely serious. I don't think it would have worked otherwise.

mr. tegu 06-21-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8693447)
The book was absolutely serious. I don't think it would have worked otherwise.

Well I didn't read it but it just seems it's not going to take itself too seriously like the twilight movies do. That is a better way of putting what I meant. I guess that could still be wrong though...

whoman69 06-21-2012 07:26 PM

I wouldn't watch this if I got free tickets. You'd have to pay me and pay me well.

Psyko Tek 06-21-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8692654)
I haven't read the book, but it sounds like a cool concept to me. I'll see it, but probably in DVD format.

while heavily inebriated

KcMizzou 06-21-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8692702)
The book is basically historical fiction with a vampire twist. There are numerous factual occurrences mentioned in the books - the author does a good job weaving in his vampire story around them. It was very clever.

That's interesting, because from the title alone, I'd expect it to be very campy.

lcarus 06-22-2012 10:52 AM

I think this movie looks like it could be just stupid enough to be funny. I'll wait for blu-ray of course, but I'm kinda interested to see it. It's a reeruned concept, but sometimes those make a funny movie.

the Talking Can 06-22-2012 11:58 AM

the premise for this isn't 1/100th as dumb as Wanted (ancient weaver assassins?) (same director)...but the reviews are pretty terrible

JD10367 06-23-2012 11:27 AM

Watched the first half-hour last night. It was a strange mix, seeming like it wanted to be a serious period piece while also including scary vampires. Not sure if it works. I have to watch the rest of it.

Sure-Oz 06-23-2012 11:30 AM

This may be better than the movie

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iq6OSbq3Is0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 06-23-2012 03:23 PM

Well, I'm going to go see this in about half an hour, so I'll let you know later what I thought of it.

Frazod 06-23-2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8697442)
Well, I'm going to go see this in about half an hour, so I'll let you know later what I thought of it.

And..... it sucked. Absolutely butchered the book. We're talking Dune level butchery here. Everything that was neat and clever about the book was replaced by Spartacus blood spray action and splosions. The book tapdanced around historical events but had respect for them. That was totally missing from the movie.

Had I not read the book, I would have enjoyed it to a certain degree. They made good use of the 3D and the action sequences were entertaining. But I did read the book, so it sucked.

My recommendation? If you like Spartacus blood spray action and sposions, leave your brain at home and you might enjoy it at a cheap matinee. If you've read the book or plan on reading the book, don't bother.

Bowser 06-23-2012 06:00 PM

If frazod is invoking Dune, you know he thought it was awful.