ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV John Carter (of Mars) trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=247147)

Ultra Peanut 03-09-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 7749036)
Riggins!

BIG TIM RIGGINS~!

Fish 03-09-2012 04:13 PM

LMAO.. I'm already seeing CAM versions of the movie popping up on my AppleTV....

Braincase 03-10-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8432074)
Reviews are sort of mixed, but the "Geek" crowd seems to love it.

Took my son to the 1:15 show. That was a lot of fun, and Lynn COllins look slike she walked out of a Frank Frazetta portfolio. All of it. Twice.

listopencil 03-10-2012 09:47 PM

I took my two teens to see if this afternoon. A 16 year old girl (who thought she wouldn't like it) and a 14 year old boy. The three of us enjoyed it. I had forgotten about the 3D, but it didn't take away from the movie. I would have rather that they stayed closer to the source material, but I wasn't disappointed by the movie's story.

listopencil 03-10-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braincase (Post 8437776)
Took my son to the 1:15 show. That was a lot of fun, and Lynn COllins look slike she walked out of a Frank Frazetta portfolio. All of it. Twice.

Smoking hot.

FAX 03-10-2012 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8438955)
I took my two teens to see if this afternoon. A 16 year old girl (who thought she wouldn't like it) and a 14 year old boy. The three of us enjoyed it. I had forgotten about the 3D, but it didn't take away from the movie. I would have rather that they stayed closer to the source material, but I wasn't disappointed by the movie's story.

So ... did you watch it in 3D?

The last movie I saw in 3D was Thor (I think) and I kinda regretted that. I felt as though it detracted from the movie, to be honest.

I'd be willing to watch this in 3D if it's a good idea, though.

FAX

listopencil 03-10-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 8438970)
So ... did you watch it in 3D?

The last movie I saw in 3D was Thor (I think) and I kinda regretted that. I felt as though it detracted from the movie, to be honest.

I'd be willing to watch this in 3D if it's a good idea, though.

FAX

I did watch it in 3D. We were on a time crunch and made the one o'clock show, so no choice on the 3D. I saw some occasional blurriness but I wear Rx glasses for near sightedness and didn't wear them because of the 3D glasses. The story actually lends itself to wide open spaces and lots of stuff flying around so the 3D wasn't intrusive. And the glasses were made like over sized Ray Charles sunglasses. I guess the kids at our High School have been wearing them around as a goofy new trend.

FAX 03-10-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 8438998)
I did watch it in 3D. We were on a time crunch and made the one o'clock show, so no choice on the 3D. I saw some occasional blurriness but I wear Rx glasses for near sightedness and didn't wear them because of the 3D glasses. The story actually lends itself to wide open spaces and lots of stuff flying around so the 3D wasn't intrusive. And the glasses were made like over sized Ray Charles sunglasses. I guess the kids at our High School have been wearing them around as a goofy new trend.

Ah ... thanks, Mr. listopencil.

So, basically, what I'm hearing (or reading, actually) is that it's okay in 3D?

I've seen several 3D movies that simply weren't all that great, to be honest ... Alice comes to mind ... and the 3D in Thor was very distracting and pointless. Avatar, on the other hand, was good. I have this theory that, if the director doesn't shoot with 3D in mind throughout the production, the result can suck. It's like an IMAX film that wasn't shot in IMAX.

To be effective, they need scenes with lots of depth-of-field, for example. Not just shots of falling objects and car parts and birds and things flying toward your face. In my opinion, when they shoot with lots of depth-of-field and/or engaging, active backgrounds, 3D is actually very interesting and can contribute to the story telling. If they don't ... well ...

FAX

Valiant 03-11-2012 12:03 AM

Saw it, loved it. We paid for 3d, but the movie was not in 3d so all of us got free passes.

Loved the dialogue actually, it was generic, but funny. Like the slap to the back of the head. JC did well other then flexing in awkward situations while talking and trying to be John Wayne..

Buck 03-11-2012 02:36 PM

I have no interest in the movie really, but is the book worth a read? I know its really old. Does it hold up well?

listopencil 03-11-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8440908)
I have no interest in the movie really, but is the book worth a read? I know its really old. Does it hold up well?

It's a period piece. Definitely a different style of writing than you would find today. The phrasing and word choices are distinctly not modern. I enjoy it myself. I recommend that you download the e-book for free, "A Princess Of Mars". Give it a shot.

Brock 03-11-2012 11:19 PM

ROFL Great opening weekend.

listopencil 03-11-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 8443649)
ROFL Great opening weekend.

?

listopencil 03-11-2012 11:42 PM

I met my four kids in a nearby town Saturday. We were commemorating something so it had to be that day. I took them all to lunch but the older ones couldn't make the movie with us. The only movie I considered other than John Carter was The Lorax. Kind of funny that they were #1 and #2 this weekend with a big drop off afterwards:

http://boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

listopencil 03-11-2012 11:45 PM

The theater was FULL of little Lorax fans, by the way.