ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink KC BBQ: The list and poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207630)

MOhillbilly 05-14-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 5765093)
Honestly Mo, it usually contains a lot of BS vinegar (more Carolina-style) in it, like FMB! said, it's just nasty.

Order you acouple bottles of AB sweet heat and take it with you. Its the right amount of sweet with a kick of heat at the finish.

Reaper16 05-14-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 5765067)
I've never lived in or close to KC, but in the few times I've visited the metro I've been to Gates and Oklahoma Joe's. I found Gates to be mediocre...Okie Joes rocked my world! Proof positive that good things indeed do come from Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Oklahoma Joe's is so-named because owner Jeff Stehney first used an Oklahoma Joe brand smoker when he started competing. Through this, Jeff became friends with the owner of the brand. They decided to go into the restaurant business together. One Oklahoma Joe's was opened in Stillwater (HQ of the smoker compnay) and another in KCK. When the owner of the smoker brand sold the company some short time later the Stillwater branch was closed down. All of which is to say that I don't consider the restaurant to "come from Stillwater."

Wow, I'm ****ing encyclopedic.

MahiMike 05-14-2009 10:58 AM

They're all great! KC has the best BBQ in da vurld!

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2009 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765146)
Oklahoma Joe's is so-named because owner Jeff Stehney first used an Oklahoma Joe brand smoker when he started competing. Through this, Jeff became friends with the owner of the brand. They decided to go into the restaurant business together. One Oklahoma Joe's was opened in Stillwater (HQ of the compnay) and another in KCK. When the owner of the smoker brand sold the company some short time later, he closed the Stillwater branch down. All of which is to say that I don't consider the restaurant to "come from Stillwater."

Wow, I'm ****ing encyclopedic.

Thank God. Sanity has been restored.:thumb:

Demonpenz 05-14-2009 11:45 AM

the only thing bad about oklahoma joe's is i hate anything from oklahoma and that is where they got their start at is right in the middle langitude and longitude square in the middle of oklahoma, but haha as you know their bbq is anything but OK

Reaper16 05-14-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 5765273)
the only thing bad about oklahoma joe's is i hate anything from oklahoma and that is where they got their start at is right in the middle langitude and longitude square in the middle of oklahoma, but haha as you know their bbq is anything but OK

LMAO

MOhillbilly 05-14-2009 12:09 PM

What was a Wabash BBQ in E.C. before it was Wabash BBQ?

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 5765347)
What was a Wabash BBQ in E.C. before it was Wabash BBQ?

I'm just the man to ask, as I live in Excelsior Springs. Wabash BBQ was an old train station. Its located across the street from the historic Elms hotel. (Curious trivia: the night of the 1948 presidential election, Harry Truman stayed at the Elms. He left on a train from Wabash station and was photographed shortly afterward holding up that newspaper that read 'Dewey Defeats Truman).

In the recent years before the building housed Wabash BBQ, it was a snack shop and later a printing supply store. It became Wabash BBQ in '97.

cookster50 05-14-2009 12:18 PM

Danny Edwards

Buzz 05-14-2009 12:20 PM

Does anyone remember the BBQ place in Raytown called Hobo Joes at 63rd Street and Raytown Road. I used to think that place was great!

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 5765378)
Danny Edwards

Wanna' know something shitty? Danny Edwards uses gas smokers now. I loved their food back when they were at 13th and Grand in that casket-sized building. Loved it.

Now, at their Southwest BLVD location, the food isn't as good. Those gas smokers have a lot to do with it (probably everything to do with it). You can still get a tasty brisket sandwich there, but their ribs are no longer among the best in the city.

cookster50 05-14-2009 12:23 PM

Thanks for the link, so much q, so little time, so many undiscovered places of heaven. Dang, now I want BBQ. DANG YOU AND YOUR THREAD!!!! WANT BBQQQQQQQQQ

Buzz 05-14-2009 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765391)
Wanna' know something shitty? Danny Edwards uses gas smokers now. I loved their food back when they were at 13th and Grand in that casket-sized building. Loved it.

Now, at their Southwest BLVD location, the food isn't as good. Those gas smokers have a lot to do with it (probably everything to do with it). You can still get a tasty brisket sandwich there, but their ribs are no longer among the best in the city.

I used to work across the street from them when they were on Grand and you are correct. I went to the new location last year and thought It wasnt as good and a little pricey.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-14-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5765391)

That should get you run out of town. Seriously, that's just bad rep to the overall scene.:shake:

There should be a law.

Reaper16 05-14-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5765413)
That should get you run out of town. Seriously, that's just bad rep to the overall scene.:shake:

There should be a law.

If the food is still good, then its a pardonable offense. The food there isn't terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I'd much rather eat there than, say, KC Masterpiece.

Hell, the Ameristar branch of Arthur Bryant's uses gas smokers, and they churn out better, more consistent food than the original now.