ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Royals sign Jeremy Guthrie (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266872)

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:14 PM

Well, Volstad wont be costing us money this year. We just DFA'd him, might sign him to a minor league deal but he's off the 40-man and wont see arbitration.

edit: correction, we probably just used an option, he might still be on the 40-man

edit2: nope, I was right the first time. Volstad's been cut from our 40-man roster.

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137076)
Well, Volstad wont be costing us money this year. We just DFA'd him, might sign him to a minor league deal but he's off the 40-man and wont see arbitration.

edit: correction, we probably just used an option, he might still be on the 40-man

edit2: nope, I was right the first time. Volstad's been cut from our 40-man roster.

This is excellent news, IMO.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137076)

Good. Now non-tender Hochevar, take that money and go get some better pitching.

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9137103)
Good. Now non-tender Hochevar, take that money and go get some better pitching.

Hoch made our 40-man roster for the cut deadline. Some Royals fans are looking for a window to jump out of, but there's no reason to be upset yet, if we get a 3rd pitcher, Hoch may lose his spot.

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9137108)
Hoch made our 40-man roster for the cut deadline. Some Royals fans are looking for a window to jump out of, but there's no reason to be upset yet, if we get a 3rd pitcher, Hoch may lose his spot.

What's the non-tender deadline? Early December?

siberian khatru 11-20-2012 03:36 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/1...ssignment.html

The Royals announced that they designated seven players for assignment to create 40-man roster space for players who would otherwise have been eligible for the Rule 5 draft. The Royals designated right-handers Vin Mazzaro and Chris Volstad, left-hander Ryan Verdugo, catcher Brayan Pena, infielder Clint Robinson and outfielder Derrick Robinson for assignment.

The Royals, who are also designating catcher Adam Moore for assignment, now have a full 40-man roster. They selected the contracts of left-handers Chris Dwyer, Donnie Joseph, John Lamb, Justin Marks and Mike Montgomery, and right-hander J.C. Gutierrez in related moves.

The move could amount to an early non-tender for two players. Pena was on track for a salary in the $1.1MM range as a third time arbitration eligible player. Meanwhile, Volstad projected to earn $3MM as a second time eligible player.

ShowtimeSBMVP 11-20-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9137119)

Nov 30.

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 9137119)

This year its November 30. We've got 10 more days to cut Hoch, otherwise the only way we'll be rid of him and his salary is a trade.

alnorth 11-20-2012 03:44 PM

we saved roughly half a million by going with Hayes as our backup catcher instead of Brayan Pena

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 03:47 PM

Greg Schaum doesn't think Hoch will be on the opening day roster. Thinks we could actually go to winter meetings trying to get something for him.

Sure-Oz 11-20-2012 03:52 PM

I'd like to not trade Hosmer but would rather keep Myers.

DeezNutz 11-20-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9136740)
We've said all along that we're going to have to part with some highly touted stud minor leaguers to flip them for proven talent.

This is particularly true in our situation, where we need pitching. Look at San Francisco and the garbage they ran out at many positions, only to beast through pitching.

If we have to trade Myers, fine. You can get serviceable outfielders a lot easier than a stud starting pitcher. We've got Cain and Gordon already. Hell, David Glass should just blow himself up and give us Josh Hamilton in right. LMAO

In all seriousness, I'm ok with flipping young talent if we get good pitching.

There is no one on this board who has banged the trade-prospects-for-proven-talent drum louder than me, but we should have been trading pitching prospects, since they don't exist anyway, and we have exactly jack and shit to show for all of those "stud" pitchers down on the farm.

CaliforniaChief 11-20-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9137548)
There is no one on this board who has banged the trade-prospects-for-proven-talent drum louder than me, but we should have been trading pitching prospects, since they don't exist anyway, and we have exactly jack and shit to show for all of those "stud" pitchers down on the farm.

Dr. Frank Jobe disagrees with this.

DeezNutz 11-20-2012 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9137552)
Dr. Frank Jobe disagrees with this.

Yep, happy holidays. $$$

Shogun 11-20-2012 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9136536)
Hosmer, good-bye. Wish you well, dude. Butler's bat is proven, and I can live with his butchery at first, since Hosmer's glove was more fool's gold than anything.

If DM trades Myers, however, I'm going to come un****ingglued.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9136563)
Thats probably the holdup. Tampa covets Myers, and we've probably been trying to get them to settle on Hosmer instead.

I'd REALLY rather see Myers in RF at the end of May than Frenchy.

Damnit