ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Geno Smith fans roll call (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263890)

CaliforniaChief 01-10-2013 09:28 AM

All these guys are spewing as if the new CBA doesn't exist.

"Taking a guy #1 who's not slotted there is a big risk."

"You can't afford to miss with a QB who ends up being a bust or it sets you back 5 years."

"There just isn't a QB out there like Luck and RG3 that you can say is a lock to be a franchise QB, so you should take the safe pick in the LT or DT or DE."

Bullshit.

A contract for Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson at #1 will cost the Chiefs 1/3 of what Matt Cassel's contract has cost us. Now Cassel? THAT's a QB who set us back 5 years. Literally.

The new CBA makes a high risk/high reward pick at a position of value an easy call. Let's say RG3 never plays again (which I don't believe.) Was he worth $21 million to the Redskins already? Ticket sales, merchandise, publicity, etc? Hell yes. And they've got him locked down for 3 more years.

These "gurus" need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Nightfyre 01-10-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 9302501)
yup

Ravens drafted Boller
Chargers drafted Leaf
Falcons drafted Vick

and on and on

we draft NOBODY....and we're 2-12 with the #1 pick

the only lesson is to keep drafting QBs no matter what

QFT

htismaqe 01-10-2013 09:44 AM

I just hope Andy Reid and John Dorsey aren't as ****ing stupid as the webscouts and fans.

duncan_idaho 01-10-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 9302124)
True, but he's a drunk pile of shit that doesn't care.

Geno is a film room junkie that loves the game.

I'll take a guy like Geno who has passion versus a guy like Stafford/Cutler who has the ultimate cannon arm, but doesn't give a shit and would rather suck down a keg on Saturday versus studying game tape.

:clap:

Reasons I cited (in addition to his Rex Grossman-esque love of his arm strength and his struggles with touch passes) for NOT going all-in on Stafford a few years ago.

I would rather have Geno day 1 next year than Stafford.

aturnis 01-10-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 9302236)
This dude is reeruned. Yeah, I too would definitely favor a DT that took plays off.

Doesn't he know that Tannehill was graded out in the second round? It's ok to reach a little on QB...

htismaqe 01-10-2013 09:58 AM

So the guy that was on WHB this morning was Tony Paulino.

Jake, Nate, and Steven all just said that if Geno is good enough to go 5-15, you take him at #1.

Nice to hear some sanity on the radio.

MagicHef 01-10-2013 10:02 AM

If you guys don't take a QB at #1, I will laugh for days.

the Talking Can 01-10-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9302628)
So the guy that was on WHB this morning was Tony Paulino.

Jake, Nate, and Steven all just said that if Geno is good enough to go 5-15, you take him at #1.

Nice to hear some sanity on the radio.

i turned it off listening to him...

very glad to know they saw through it

htismaqe 01-10-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 9302645)
If you guys don't take a QB at #1, I will laugh for days.

I'll make sure that you're laughing on Orangemane because you'll be banned here.

tooge 01-10-2013 10:22 AM

I'm a bit concerned about Geno's decision to pass on the senior bowl. I'm a Geno Smith fan, but I'd like to see a confident guy that wants to show off his skills in a game against the top college competition, with an offense that is unfamiliar to him. I don't like this decision by him at all.

Coogs 01-10-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9302692)
I'm a bit concerned about Geno's decision to pass on the senior bowl. I'm a Geno Smith fan, but I'd like to see a confident guy that wants to show off his skills in a game against the top college competition, with an offense that is unfamiliar to him. I don't like this decision by him at all.

While I would have liked to have seen him play too, it really doesn't bother me in the least that he passed on playing. I have seen him play several games already, and he has shown me enough to take with our first pick.

It's all about the workouts for Geno now.

duncan_idaho 01-10-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

The best QB prospects typically don't (though usually the best QB prospects are coming out early and aren't eligible). Only QBs whose agents are being told they NEED to play usually end up playing.

Matt Ryan and Rg3 both skipped it. I don't think it's surprising at all that Geno and Matt Barkley are skipping it.

BigCatDaddy 01-10-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

I remember a certain highly touted QB that went to the combine and threw to show everybody he wasn't scared to compete and what he can do. That young man was Mark Sanchez.

ILChief 01-10-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9302710)
The best QB prospects typically don't (though usually the best QB prospects are coming out early and aren't eligible). Only QBs whose agents are being told they NEED to play usually end up playing.

Matt Ryan and Rg3 both skipped it. I don't think it's surprising at all that Geno and Matt Barkley are skipping it.

RG3 didn't skip it. He wasn't eligible since he was a junior. But if he had been a senior I doubt he would have played

saphojunkie 01-10-2013 10:59 AM

I am going to emotionally prepare for the possibility that Reid grades one of the Tylers or Barkley higher than Geno.

But man...I'm really hoping it's Geno.