ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

keg in kc 05-10-2019 12:00 AM

Holy shit, there's a new season of Sneaky Pete out today. How'd I miss that?

stumppy 05-10-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14261688)

Sweet. Hell, I woulda missed it if you hadn't posted

Miles 05-10-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 14260043)
Anyone else watching Chambers on Netflix? I really like it, but what a twisty, turning, mind ****. Can’t wait to see how they end it! I would def recommend it!

Let us know how it finishes. Was thinking about binging that one this weekend.

Tribal Warfare 05-10-2019 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14258005)
Lucifer's back on Netflix.

How the **** does Inbar Lavi keep getting more attractive?!

It's a metric ****ton better than the FOX broadcast continuity

cooper barrett 05-10-2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

It said coming soon, pressed it and it works. Thanks!

Buehler445 05-10-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

First 3 episodes are good.

Coochie liquor 05-13-2019 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 14262881)
Let us know how it finishes. Was thinking about binging that one this weekend.

Wow, I really liked the season! I dig stuff like that, the wife and I def enjoyed it!

chiefzilla1501 05-13-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 14197599)
Full disclosure: Kumail Nanjiani, in my opinion, is a gigantic douche.

That being said: he wasn't the problem with that episode.

Spoiler!

I guess I'll give the next episodes a try until I cancel CBS All Access once Discovery concludes for the year but I thought the TZ revival pilot missed the mark. 4/10.

Ive been really curious about this. Feels like they'll have some challenges differentiating from black mirror, which has much more license to push the envelope. How do the two compare?

keg in kc 05-28-2019 07:13 PM

Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm not gonna look it up...

Killing Eve on BBC America just finished its second season, and it's one of the best shows on TV. Only 8 eps/season, so it's not hard to get caught up. I DVR'd and watched the entire second season in one sitting, in fact. It's worth it.

Baby Lee 05-28-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 14266280)
Ive been really curious about this. Feels like they'll have some challenges differentiating from black mirror, which has much more license to push the envelope. How do the two compare?

Twilight Zone has been quite disappointing, punctuated by it having the name of an iconic show and co-existing with the superior Black Mirror.

It tries to be timely, but the result is everything being on the nose and resentful.

Cliches like broad brush and sledgehammer come to mind with each episode. Every time there is a chance for the narrative to be nuanced, it goes broad and explicit. And every SJW Soy-boy stereotype is tackled in turn.

And lest people think it's just the subject matter that is irksome, I assure that it's more HOW it's about things more than what it's about. Except for the types who would applaud the message no matter how poorly handled out of a sense of moral obligation to cheerlead, even the people who would otherwise be receptive to the messages of the show have plenty of gripes about the heavy-handed reductive nature of the narratives.

Perhaps the best way to hammer home the deficiencies of the show, it almost plays like if a RW creator wrote a satire of LW narratives to make fun of the faux earnestness and the painting in primary colors.

Baby Lee 05-28-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 14286050)
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but I'm not gonna look it up...

Killing Eve on BBC America just finished its second season, and it's one of the best shows on TV. Only 8 eps/season, so it's not hard to get caught up. I DVR'd and watched the entire second season in one sitting, in fact. It's worth it.

Killing Eve is more a mood than a saga. The narrative doesn't make a ton of sense. If you storyboarded it, you would wonder what you had. But the imagery and the soundtrack combine for moments of eye-popping wonder that keeps drawing you in.

Kind of like a catchy song where the lyrics are nonsense, but you love to listen to it over and over anyway because it sparks your own imagination.

Basically, and I guess these are technically spoilers, but the show isn't about what happens so much as the spectacle, so don't let being spoiled deter you;

Eve is a wonk in the system of British Intelligence who starts to piece together the actions of a mysterious contract killer. Higher ups in BritInt set her up with an off-the-books team to track this killer down.

Villanelle is this killer who is a beautiful sociopath and chameleon who can infiltrate any situation through guile and good looks. They show her engaging in several cinematic kills of 'shadow elites' and generic uber-rich baddies, eventually revealing that she is contracted by a shadowy international cabal that identifies people in society that society would be better off without.

Eve and her team get obsessive about identifying, tracking and finding her to bring her to justice. Only Eve's obsession turned to a quasi-fascination and a sense of empathy for Villanelle's history, and the higher-ups who have commissioned them ostensibly for justice/law enforcement appear to have their own nefarious purposes, perhaps in competition or even collaboration with the cabal that is contracting this assassin.

So it's all this cat and mouse through exotic locales and corridors of power where the mystery is what the cat will do when it actually catches the mouse, and why the cat is supposed to be chasing the mouse to begin with.

But the strength is the acting, and the mood, and the imagery and the music, . . . much more than figuring out the actual narrative, which plays pretty fast and loose, and can drive you a little batty if you try to overthink it.

If one were to try to encapsulate it in the most accessible way, think of James Bond adapted for mostly female leads, where the good guys are a little infatuated with the bad guys and bad guy is definitely bad but also very enthralling and fascinating. Except with basic detective work instead of all the Bond gadgets and stunts.

cripple creek 05-31-2019 07:31 PM

last chance U is still streamable on Netflix.

In58men 06-02-2019 08:24 AM

Watched two episodes of Dead To Me last night, very intriguing.

Baby Lee 06-14-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13602043)
Anyone catching 'Strange Angel?'

On CBS All Access, started this week.

Has a decent pedigree and dramatizes an already fantastical true story. The story of Jack Parson.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/n6ljPo8JVME" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Giving it a chance, but I don't know if a serious treatment over 10 episodes can eclipse the summation from one Drunk History segment.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><iframe src="//media.mtvnservices.com/embed/mgid:arc:video:comedycentral.com:200f7e04-92bd-4c6c-b8d0-c22c494374b7" width="512" height="288" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true"></iframe></div></div>

Second season started yesterday.

Baby Lee 06-15-2019 09:14 AM

Looks promising, good reviews.

Carla at her 'Elmore Leonard' Guginio-est.

<iframe width="733" height="412" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H6ccakCXpYc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>