ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Mad Men (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=231096)

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11483715)
I just think that was a quirk of the show in that it relied heavily on the same tropes of Frasier and Niles being up-their-own-ass intellectuals whose nature conflicted with Martin / Daphne / Ros' grounded and sensible personalities such that every episode had a same-y feel to it but it didn't detract from the quality.

I remember;

something about Fraiser catching a trashcan on fire
something about Niles ruining a dinner
the episodes starting off with witty radio banter
and, Bulldog being a staunch gay activist IRL.

that's about it.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483724)
I remember;

that's about it.

And something about scrambled eggs?

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 11483727)
And something about scrambled eggs?

Well of course I remember tidbits, but plotwise it's a big black hole.

Oh! I remember Lillith coming to visit a couple different times, making for classic episodes.

Speaking of Lillith, since we're discussing Frasier in the Mad Men thread. Johnny Mathis, meet Freddy Crane.

http://cdn.papermag.com/uploaded_ima...04.25%20PM.png

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483724)
I remember;

that's about it.

The whole Daphne being engaged to that ... one guy.. which caused Niles some grief.

Constant jokes about Maris.

Parental humor concerning Frasier's relationship with Freddy.

Lilith's deadpan snark but also looking hot at some point and tempting Frasier (even though they didn't go through with anything.)

The episode where Frasier's past loves came to him as apparitions.

The episode where Frasier and Niles were trying to cover up what looked like a murder.(?)

A few bottle episodes concern Martin and his time on the police force / his relationship with his blue collar buddies.

I think Frasier got rid of / Martin's ugly ass recliner got torched and Frasier managed to find a duplicate -complete with the same wear-in patterns / damage.

New Years Eve in the Winnebago.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 05:06 PM

I remember, much like Don Draper, Fraiser had a baller balcony w/ a view.

Red Brooklyn 05-06-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 11483733)
Well of course I remember tidbits, but plotwise it's a big black hole.

Oh! I remember Lillith coming to visit a couple different times, making for classic episodes.

Speaking of Lillith, since we're discussing Frasier in the Mad Men thread. Johnny Mathis, meet Freddy Crane.

http://cdn.papermag.com/uploaded_ima...04.25%20PM.png

wwhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11483494)
I'm sorry but I could not disagree more.

The very first, and I mean THE VERY FIRST thing that ANY Film/TV screenwriter should create/present is the beginning and ending for each every character, especially the main characters.

Now, that said, I had a highly successful TV and film screenwriter/producer over all day Saturday for a hang and he said, and I quote "I've often found that the TV or film will 'speak to me'. The show knows where to go, especially after characters have been established. But that doesn't mean that I should betray the original fate for characters because it's veered off course a bit".

Damon Lindeloff and Carlton Cuse finally revealed publicly that they had no idea where they were going with LOST. I think David Chase just gave the fans and HBO a big giant "**** You" with the ending of The Sopranos.

Obviously, Chuck Lorre wouldn't have killed Charlie Sheen had their relationship not become so incredibly volatile. And while Chuck is known to be the biggest asshole dickhead in town, no one cares because he's the most successful Show Runner/Producer/Writer in TV history and can sit down and write an amazing Act in 2 hours, where it takes a room of 10 writers a week to write three acts.

The bottom line is that the viewers deserve a satisfying ending.

Yeah, Boyd should have died in season 1.

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2015 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 11483578)
HIMYM's ending while infuriating, at least made sense from the point that Bays and Thomas alluded to it for the entirety of the show through allusions to Bertold Brecht and "Love in the Time of Cholera." They just didn't show their hand until the episode where Ted imagines the conversation between himself, himself from the future, Barney and Barney from the future.

Really, what ****ed up HIMYM was the fact that it shouldn't have gone beyond the seventh season.

the laugh track made it unwatchable, IMO.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11484291)

I'm conditioned enough that most laugh tracks don't bother me.. Just like getting used to seeing the network watermark in a corner of the screen.

Problem is they used the SAME laugh track for all 200+ episodes and it has someone have the most annoying ****ing laugh in the world on it.

Baby Lee 05-06-2015 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 11484291)

I've never been a laugh track fan, but the silences in the Yahoo season of Community is starting to freak me out. Don't know if they need a laugh track or just better scoring and ambient noise.

Pay attention to it, or not. Once it's noticed, cannot be unnoticed.

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 09:49 PM

I can't remember a finale I was happy with besides Mash.

I thought Breaking Bad was better than Seinfeld which was better than Lost.

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11484379)
I can't remember a finale I was happy with besides Mash.

Newhart is still the greatest of all time, IMO and I'm not sure there will ever be an equal finale.

Discuss Thrower 05-06-2015 10:48 PM

But seriously tho. Utopos.

BigRedChief 05-06-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 11484436)
Newhart is still the greatest of all time, IMO and I'm not sure there will ever be an equal finale.

Forgot about that.:thumb:

DaneMcCloud 05-06-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 11484453)
Forgot about that.:thumb:

Of course, you'd have to be of a certain vintage to understand its brilliance.

:D