ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life This Day in History (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=199589)

Amnorix 11-17-2010 07:32 AM

November 17

284. Diocletian is pronounced Roman Emperor by his soldiers. A brilliant administrator, he reforms the government of the Empire, ennabling it to last another hundred years despite seemingly being on the brink of collapse during his youth. He will also create the Tetrarchy, and institute various reforms which will help serve as the basis on which the empire will split into its Eastern and Western halves, with the Eastern half to last another thousand years, and known to history as Byzantium. The Tetrarchy would collapse after his death, but many of his other reforms would remain and help stabilize the Empire. He also becomes the first Roman Emperor to voluntarily abdicate.

1558. Queen Mary I dies, to be succeeded by her half-sister, Queen Elizabeth I. A daughter of Henry VIII, her 44 year reign is one of the longest on record, and will become known as the Elizabethan era, and oversee victory over the Spanish Armada.

1800. As noted above, Congress convenes for the first time in Washington DC.

1869. The Suez Canal is opened, a mighty engineering achievement linking the Mediterranean with the Red Sea.

1903. The Russian Social Democratic Party splits into two groups -- the Bolsheviks (which is Russian for "more" or, here, "majority"), following Vladimir Lenin, and the Mensheviks (Russian for "fewer", "less" or, more appropriately in this case, "minority"). Two guesses who won out in the long run. But if nothing else, now you know what Bolshevik means, and what its etymology is.

1933. 15 years after it seized power, the Soviet Union is recognized by the United States.

1947. Two American scientists observe the characteristics of the transistor, which will become a key feature in the coming revolution in electronics.

1973. As also noted above, US President Nixon memorably states that he is "not a crook." While technically he may have been correct, the reality is that key, high-ranking members of his administration ordered burglaries to be committed against Nixon's political enemies, and their actions were a distinct reflection of Nixon's own deep paranoia, deep hatred of his political opponents, and overall vileness.

2004. KMart announces it is buying Sears, once the largest retailer in America, with sales equivalent to 1% of the country's GDP.

TimeForWasp 11-17-2010 08:00 AM

Space
1970 Space Moonrover

17th November, 1970: The Soviet Union's moonrover rolled over the moon's surface today, becoming the first roving remote-controlled robot to land on the moon.

Donger 11-17-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7178735)
1869. The Suez Canal is opened, a mighty engineering achievement linking the Mediterranean with the Dead Sea.

LMAO

Which allowed the Dread Pirate Roberts to conquer Lake Baikal!

TimeForWasp 11-17-2010 08:18 AM

Lyndon B Johnson married Claudia Alta Taylor (already nicknamed "Lady Bird") of Karnack, Texas on November 17, 1934 after having attended Georgetown University Law School for several months. They had two daughters, Lynda Bird, born in 1944, and Luci Baines, born in 1947. Johnson enjoyed giving people and animals his own initials; his daughters' given names are examples, as was his dog, Little Beagle Johnson.

patteeu 11-17-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsNow (Post 7178757)
Lyndon B Johnson married Claudia Alta Taylor (already nicknamed "Lady Bird") of Karnack, Texas on November 17, 1934 after having attended Georgetown University Law School for several months. They had two daughters, Lynda Bird, born in 1944, and Luci Baines, born in 1947. Johnson enjoyed giving people and animals his own initials; his daughters' given names are examples, as was his dog, Little Beagle Johnson.

Do you live in Costa Rica, ChiefsNow? How long have you been there?

TimeForWasp 11-17-2010 08:43 AM

Nov 17

Tibet
1950 Tibet Dalai Lama

17th November, 1950: 15-year-old Tenzin Gyatso, is enthroned as the 14th Dalai Lama at age 15.

1863 – American Civil War: Siege of Knoxville begins – Confederate forces led by General James Longstreet place Knoxville, Tennessee under siege.

1603 – English explorer, writer and courtier Sir Walter Raleigh goes on trial for treason.

TimeForWasp 11-17-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 7178771)
Do you live in Costa Rica, ChiefsNow? How long have you been there?

I was there when I updated my profile last. I'm in Everett wa right now, I bought some property down there though and plan to spend as much time as I can down there. ;)

Amnorix 11-17-2010 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7178749)
LMAO

Which allowed the Dread Pirate Roberts to conquer Lake Baikal!

:banghead:

Hydrae 11-17-2010 08:55 AM

November 17, 1994 - The last offspring of Hydrae is born. The world rejoices at the birth and mourns that there will be no more such beautiful children.

Happy Birthday my son! :)

Al Bundy 11-17-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7174029)
November 12

1970. An 8 ton beached Sperm Whale is blown up by Oregon authorities using a half ton of dynamite. The result, somehow unexpected, is massive chunks of whale landing on buildings, cars, parking lots and other locations all around the beach. The news reporter on the scene relayed that "the blast blasted blubber beyond all believable bounds."

This is one I would like to have been around for.

TimeForWasp 11-17-2010 09:16 AM

nov 17

1940 Green Bay Packers become 1st NFL team to travel by plane

1884 Cops arrest John L Sullivan in 2nd round for being "cruel"

1913 Panama Canal opens

Donger 11-17-2010 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 7178811)
:banghead:

I look forward to the errors almost as much as the knowledge!

Donger 11-17-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCFGoldenKnight (Post 7178840)
This is one I would like to have been around for.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_t44siFyb4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1_t44siFyb4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TimeForWasp 11-18-2010 04:51 AM

nov 18

Italy
1922 Italy Mussolini Comes To Power

18th November, 1922: This was the start of Benito Mussolini’s term as the new Italian premier. He received strong support from the Parliament at this time, and served in the premier position until 1943. Mussolini was a strong supporter of fascism, communism, as well as the Nazi Hitler regime.

TimeForWasp 11-18-2010 04:52 AM

nov 18

U.S.
1928 U.S.A. Mickey Mouse

18th November, 1928: Mickey Mouse appears for the first time in Steamboat Willie, It was the first successful sound-synchronized animated cartoon film produced by Walt Disney and premiered at the Colony Theater in NYC.