ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Star Trek 12 Gets Release Date (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=221538)

DJ's left nut 06-07-2013 02:19 PM

Wait a minute....

V'ger is the returned Voyager probe, launched in the 20th century and well before the events of the reboot, including the new reality - yes? And everything V'ger did is completely independent of anything Kirk or the rest of the federation would've done, correct?

In other words, nothing that transpired in the re-boot would've stopped V'ger from coming to earth and doing exactly what happened in Trek 1.

So technically speaking, won't the 'new' Enterprise crew have to deal with V'ger at some point?

Fire Me Boy! 06-07-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9736401)
Wait a minute....

V'ger is the returned Voyager probe, launched in the 20th century and well before the events of the reboot, including the new reality - yes? And everything V'ger did is completely independent of anything Kirk or the rest of the federation would've done, correct?

In other words, nothing that transpired in the re-boot would've stopped V'ger from coming to earth and doing exactly what happened in Trek 1.

So technically speaking, won't the 'new' Enterprise crew have to deal with V'ger at some point?

Theoretically, yes.

Bowser 06-07-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9736401)
Wait a minute....

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma...5u4lo1_500.gif

keg in kc 06-07-2013 02:40 PM

The events of the motion picture wouldn't occur for another 13 years in the alternate universe.

Red Brooklyn 06-14-2013 04:15 PM

I really liked Into Darkness. But I really liked the 09 version, too. So, no big surprise. Not a perfect film, but really well executed sequel and a fun reboot/alternate interpretation of events. This whole alternate timeline thing is just brilliant.

I have no idea if they'll do a third. I hope so. Because the set up after this guy is awesome. The next one could be something special. We can actually move forward instead of dancing sideways.

Frazod 06-14-2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9725814)
He slammed it.

Is there something about watching Plinkett that makes you stupid?

He didn't slam it. In fact, he seemed to like it more than any of the other Star Trek films he reviewed.

:shake:

BigBeauford 06-14-2013 07:10 PM

So Star Trek snobs on here look forward more to Superman, than liking this excellent movie? Give me a break. This movie is easily the best that I have viewed this year.

Hammock Parties 06-14-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9752771)
So Star Trek snobs on here look forward more to Superman, than liking this excellent movie? Give me a break. This movie is easily the best that I have viewed this year.

You know nothing about what makes a good Star Trek movie.

Red Brooklyn 06-14-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9753093)
You know nothing about what makes a good Star Trek movie.

Tired argument is tired.

Fire Me Boy! 06-15-2013 04:35 AM

Man of Steel was better.

unlurking 06-15-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9752470)
I really liked Into Darkness. But I really liked the 09 version, too. So, no big surprise. Not a perfect film, but really well executed sequel and a fun reboot/alternate interpretation of events. This whole alternate timeline thing is just brilliant.

I have no idea if they'll do a third. I hope so. Because the set up after this guy is awesome. The next one could be something special. We can actually move forward instead of dancing sideways.

I enjoyed the reboot, even though I expected to hate it. The alternate timeline idea really pissed me off. I love Star Trek. I wanted more Star Trek, not rehashed Star Trek. The reboot gave that too me when I didn't think it could. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Star Trek 2.2 is the reason I hated the alternate timeline idea. All of my objections to rebooting the series came through in this rehashed Khan movie. It just seemed like a mish mash of Trek lore. Sadly, I loved Cumberbatch, and he makes a great villain. He makes a shitty Khan. The The role reversal, triblles, and immortality serum just seemed to take the laziness of story writing to a new extreme. One that was satisfyingly lacking in the 09 reboot, but shoved in my face in 2.2.

If 2.3 has whales, VGER, Khan (I'm expecting he escaped his ship's destruction), aircraft carriers, terraforming missiles, etc. I will be skipping it. I should have skipped 2.2 knowing Khan was in it.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2013 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9753257)
Man of Steel was better.

It would be hard NOT to be better.

Any decent science fiction movie with an original plot/story > Into Darkpiss

BigBeauford 06-15-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Branden Albert's Huge Balls (Post 9753437)
It would be hard NOT to be better.

Any decent science fiction movie with an original plot/story > Into Darkpiss

Agreed, we have never had Superman's backstory hashed out in multiple forms of media by different directors/visionaries over multiple decades.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qbsacker93 (Post 9753528)
Agreed, we have never had Superman's backstory hashed out in multiple forms of media by different directors/visionaries over multiple decades.

Well, I haven't seen the new Superman movie, but nerd consensus seems to be that it's pretty awesome, and not a ripoff.

Red Brooklyn 06-15-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 9753425)
Star Trek 2.2 is the reason I hated the alternate timeline idea. All of my objections to rebooting the series came through in this rehashed Khan movie. It just seemed like a mish mash of Trek lore. Sadly, I loved Cumberbatch, and he makes a great villain. He makes a shitty Khan. The The role reversal, triblles, and immortality serum just seemed to take the laziness of story writing to a new extreme. One that was satisfyingly lacking in the 09 reboot, but shoved in my face in 2.2.

If 2.3 has whales, VGER, Khan (I'm expecting he escaped his ship's destruction), aircraft carriers, terraforming missiles, etc. I will be skipping it. I should have skipped 2.2 knowing Khan was in it.

To each their own. But it didn't feel like a rehash to me (outside of the obvious moments of borrowed plot, which only really amounted to like five minutes of screen time). It was just a new introduction to a standard original series character. It continued the same things I loved about the reboot. It gave us a new introduction/take on a classic character. And Kahn was much more interesting and fleshed out than Bana's Romulan. Big improvement there, I thought.

And this is all way before the timeframe of Wrath of Kahn. If Into Darkness is a rehash, it's a rehash of the original series Kahn episode.

I wonder if it's just because it's the second in the new series and Kahn was the second film in the original run. Would people have been bothered if they'd waited until the fifth or sixth film to do a Kahn story?

Into Darkness probably isn't quite as good as Star Trek (09). But I did actually like it more than Wrath. I would have preferred less direct homage, but I think they pulled it off. It's all explained very well. It's clever and gripping. And I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. I even got a bit teary at times.

The tribble in the middle of the scene was awkward and pure set up. That could have been handled more gracefully. And the resurrection was strained. But it could have been worse. And it's not like anyone expected dude to stay dead.

It's nice that we finally have the Enterprise out on its mission. I think that has the potential to open up the new timeline. I'm excited to see where they take it.