ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

Delano 04-27-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 5718117)
Purchased "The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game" from amazon. I am anxious for it to get here so I can read it. Anyone ever read this? If so, what was your thought about it?

Yes, I've read it.

It's been a while, but from what I recall, it's a very fast read and pretty damn interesting.

The background stuff about the NFL's evolution is pretty solid and Michael Oher's story is definitely interesting. I'll be rooting for Oher in Baltimore, as if that team needed any more help.

What is it missing? Vignettes about Collins' sexuality and development as a woman.

Braincase 04-27-2009 09:52 AM

"The Downhill Lie" by Carl Hiassen. Funniest book I've read in a long time. A writer returns to the game of golf after giving it up for 32 years.

keg in kc 04-27-2009 09:54 AM

I'm rereading the Abhorsen trilogy by Garth Nix.

chiefs1111 04-28-2009 09:13 PM

Reading Lost Boy,Lost Girl by Peter Straub

Cannibal 04-28-2009 10:17 PM

"The Ax" by Donald Westlake.

chiefbowe82 04-28-2009 10:23 PM

Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

ziggysocki 05-07-2009 12:11 PM

Need a suggestion. I have been trying to broaden my literary horizons; lately I have read several classics, some fantasy, some sci-fi and I have always liked the canned horror type stuff. I have even done a western (that I saw here). I need a suggestion for something different. Different genre maybe that I have not been exposed to. The tastes of the people on the planet are pretty diverse and eclectic. Any suggestions?

blaise 05-07-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5747590)
Need a suggestion. I have been trying to broaden my literary horizons; lately I have read several classics, some fantasy, some sci-fi and I have always liked the canned horror type stuff. I have even done a western (that I saw here). I need a suggestion for something different. Different genre maybe that I have not been exposed to. The tastes of the people on the planet are pretty diverse and eclectic. Any suggestions?

I just read The Pillowman, by Martin McDonagh. It's a play, that's different. It's a quick read but it's very good. It's about a guy in a totalitarian state that gets interrogated by police because there have been murders that mimic some stories he'd written. Give it a read, it's good. They go into detail of what the stories were.
I would also recommend The Southpaw, by Mark Harris which is a fictional baseball book. Very well written. It's pretty widely respected. As well as You Know Me Al, by Ring Lardner- another fictional baseball book by a very good writer. It's a funny book, too. And I'll throw in another baseball book, The Natural, by Bernard Malamud. Much different than the film.

I would also say, Candide by Voltaire which is a funny satire. I would say to get one with footnotes because some of the jabs he takes aren't obvious unless you realize what he's referencing. And maybe a compilation of short stories by Anton Chekov.

Those are all good and fairly diverse I would say. I would recommend The Pillowman, definitely though. Most libraries will have a copy.

Edit- McDonagh, the guy that wrote The Pillowman, is the same guy that wrote the movie In Bruges. It's the same sort of dark humor. So if you've seen that and liked it, you'd probably like the play.

ziggysocki 05-07-2009 12:52 PM

Excellent blaise! I thank you for your suggestions, and I think I will start with The Pillowman. I haven't read a play in a long time, and it sounds entertaining.

DaKCMan AP 05-07-2009 01:14 PM

Just picked up Patriot Reign from the library. Should be an interesting, easy read.

Frazod 05-07-2009 01:23 PM

I'm reading the last (fifth) of the Thrawn Star Wars books. Entertaining read.

Hammock Parties 05-16-2009 02:21 PM

Just picked this up at Half-Price books:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Mission-S...2505215&sr=8-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...hL._SL500_.jpg

Reaper16 05-16-2009 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggysocki (Post 5747590)

Search my past posts in this thread.

KCChiefsMan 05-16-2009 02:30 PM

picked up The Road yesterday, by Cormac McCarthy. Started reading it a little bit before bed last night, I think I'm gonna enjoy this one. Plus the movie comes out this winter and will be even more excited to watch it.

Mojo Jojo 05-16-2009 02:37 PM

I just picked up "Make Love* *The Bruce Campbell Way" by Bruce Campbell. For those who don't know Bruce; he was in all "Evil Dead" movies as well as "Bubba Ho-Tep" and is currently on "Burn Notice". He is a very funny writer.