ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847511)
Versus most Royals fans that are happy to be losers as long as there is hope that 9 players will make it through the system and rescue them from their misery.

I don't think that's most Royals fans.

I'm a minor league baseball follower because it's always fascinated me. It's a middle ground, as Deez has pointed out multiple times.

If you're a team that can't afford to buy talent on the FA market and signing your own players to enormous deals, you have to balance a good farm system with solid GM work and making good choices about which guys you keep on the MLB roster and which ones you're willing to cut ties with due to cost.

I'm not a cling to all prospects guy (in fact, I spent a good portion of the 2012 thread arguing that KC SHOULD trade then for Matt Garza) by any means. But when someone undervalues prospects and is suggesting shipping them out for garbage, like Petro was doing, I think it's clear they are missing part of the picture.

duncan_idaho 07-31-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847523)
People like to think of the Yankees as selling out their farm every year, thats not completely accurate. They keep their highest, most elite, can't miss prospects. Myers is the type of player that even the Yankees would have hesitated on and demanded top dollar for.

Yup. Would have to get a similar return to what they got for Montero (young, long-term controlled, SP with Cy Young stuff - minus the ticking time bomb shoulder).

SPATCH 07-31-2013 10:47 AM

Besides Kendrick and Weeks, what are some other options that we might have at 2B?

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:47 AM

Reply I saw from Crasnick on ESPN.com re: will the Royals do anything today.

Quote:

I'm getting the sense the Royals are in more status quo mode right now. Their recent run of winning took Ervin Santana off the table. As for adding, Dayton Moore made his big ''win now'' move with James Shields last offseason.

Messier 07-31-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847558)
Reply I saw from Crasnick on ESPN.com re: will the Royals do anything today.

It shouldn't have.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9847537)
I don't think that's most Royals fans.

I'm a minor league baseball follower because it's always fascinated me. It's a middle ground, as Deez has pointed out multiple times.

If you're a team that can't afford to buy talent on the FA market and signing your own players to enormous deals, you have to balance a good farm system with solid GM work and making good choices about which guys you keep on the MLB roster and which ones you're willing to cut ties with due to cost.

I'm not a cling to all prospects guy (in fact, I spent a good portion of the 2012 thread arguing that KC SHOULD trade then for Matt Garza) by any means. But when someone undervalues prospects and is suggesting shipping them out for garbage, like Petro was doing, I think it's clear they are missing part of the picture.

So he was wrong, I don't care. The overall point of his message is to do something to make the major league team better and stop wasting time expecting a tidal wave of guys to make it through the system.

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9847557)
Besides Kendrick and Weeks, what are some other options that we might have at 2B?

Doing nothing and finishing at or around .500.

ChiefsCountry 07-31-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_spatula (Post 9847557)

Aybar

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847562)
So he was wrong, I don't care. The overall point of his message is to do something to make the major league team better and stop wasting time expecting a tidal wave of guys to make it through the system.

That point gets lost with his blind idiocy on elite tier-1 A+ prospects when he believed Myers was worth Jurrjens.

As much as we complained about Shields and Davis, this board would have gone absolutely ape-bleep on that trade.

alnorth 07-31-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9847563)
Doing nothing and finishing at or around .500.

If this current team is destined for "at or around .500", then we shouldn't trade for anyone, because a halfway-decent 2B is not going to get us another 7-8 wins in 2 months.

You only make a big trade today if you are afraid of finishing with 86-87 wins and falling just 1 or 2 games short, because thats all he'll be able to do for us over Getz.

DeezNutz 07-31-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847573)
If this current team is destined for "at or around .500", then we shouldn't trade for anyone, because a halfway-decent 2B is not going to get us another 7-8 wins in 2 months.

You only make a big trade today if you are afraid of finishing with 86-87 wins and falling just 1 or 2 games short, because thats all he'll be able to do for us over Getz.

You trade for someone today with '14 in mind.

Doing nothing would be a failure, in my view.

Prison Bitch 07-31-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9847565)
Aybar

Can you even imagine trading Duffy or Ventura for a 0.7 WAR SS who is set to make 9M the next THREE years and who turns 30 this winter? I mean could we get any dumber than that?

WhawhaWhat 07-31-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9847568)
That point gets lost with his blind idiocy on elite tier-1 A+ prospects when he believed Myers was worth Jurrjens.

As much as we complained about Shields and Davis, this board would have gone absolutely ape-bleep on that trade.

The Jurrgens trade proposal was when Myers was in A ball. Single A. If we are going to protect guys that low in the system with an untradeable status then they will never compete.

alnorth 07-31-2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9847580)

We should worry about 2014 in the winter. Prices are higher on deadline day than in the winter. We probably shouldn't pay for 2 months of a guy, to the extent that we try at all to win in 2013, we need at least a year and 2 months, but if we really think this team as-is will finish .500 as suggested above, then we shouldn't trade for anyone today.

siberian khatru 07-31-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 9847580)

I concur.

When we traded 6 years of Myers for 2 years of Shields, it was all-in on a short window. Don't agree with that, but since it is what it is, then effing go for it.

Instead, what I'm seeing so far (and the day is young), is DM raising expectations to excuse not trading Santana ("We're in it to win as many games as possible!") and then lowering expectations to excuse not adding players to help compete ("Oven's not on, crickets chirping, so hard to make trades these days," etc.).

He wants it both ways. **** that shit.