ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MU ****The official NEW new conference realignment thread.**** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255691)

Bambi 07-15-2012 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8743200)
I guess I could see it not being that funny when your team is historically bad. I imagine most everyone else enjoyed it.

Nah, I watched the ACC one too and it was even worse.

Bambi 07-15-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Gigglepants (Post 8743221)
I'm glad you got a kick out of it! I posted it just for you!

Thanks. That guy was so mad. I wonder what Weis ever did to him.

Bambi 07-15-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 8743342)
Rarely do the ones getting laughed at find something funny.

You guys should try and help them get the word out if that's the case. All of their videos have extremely low view counts.

HolyHandgernade 07-17-2012 03:27 PM

Latest update from the WVU Scout Board:

Latest update:

Quote:

The Big 12 has decided that 12 is the best number. 2 more is all they will add. We could go to 16 right now and add Vile, Fsu, Clemson, MD, GT, and any one of about 6 other schools. We could do this in about ten minutes if that is what the B12 wanted to do.

Problems with going past 12: Fox will pay more but espn will only guarantee the same amount per school once we go past 12 provided they are solid additions( that's why 11 and 12 are so important that they add the most value possible) ESPN does not want the demise of the ACC. Neither does the B12. TX and Ok are willing to go to 12 but no more. They feel too many teams not playing each other yearly dilutes the conference too much. playoff money also becomes less lucrative when being split more and more.
FSU wants 14 with 3 of their ACC mates making the jump with them. We are all standing firm at 12 now.
ND negotiations have hit a stand still and if nothing has been worked out by the time we release the tv schedule then our paths will go separate ways(for now). Like em or hate em the Irish add the most value for any conference they join.
All these reasons stated above Have caused a dance of sorts between FSU and the B12. They say they want in. We say we want them. They make requests. We make requests. Things look imminent. Then they cool off. Rinse. Repeat. This is why I feel FSU will not be added as 11 until the regular season is near its end. Too much to still work out. So I guess you win that bet i never made with you Geauxy. Enjoy it for a few months.
Clemson is waiting on whatever bone we throw them. They would come now as 11 if we would invite.
The Big 12 holds nearly all the cards in this matter.

Did I mention playoff Money earlier? I did. When all is said and done for the years we place one team in the playoffs the B12 will get(current projections) around 9.5 million per school (includes champions bowl,let's call this tier 1 and 2) if we stay at 10. If that team advances to the final they will receive a larger cut of the next tier of payout(about 25% of the 3rd tier payout, the rest is split amongst the other 9(or 11).
If we get no team in the playoffs then we still get about 5.5 million per school from our Bowl contracts.
I was told a B12 team advancing to the final game would earn about a total of $15 million in post season money.

Biggest tidbit of this post. The SEC is going to 16. Their presidents have all voted in favor of going to 16 to maximize their money now while the iron is still hot. Their upcoming network really needs populous states to fully realize their earning potential. No brainer who the top two targets are. At least state wise. VA and NC. With NCST and UNC joined at the hip it will be hard to pull either from the other but they will try . If unsuccessful then Duke becomes the next target. But one school to watch for is the Vile Forget all the same-state garbage when a school offers to take half the money of anyone else-permenately After expansion the SEC will successfully lobby the NCAA to allow conference semi finals. The Big 12 has a plan to adapt a semi final game with 12 schools if the NCAA will allow it.

I will return with more tonight.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8748288)
Latest update from the WVU Scout Board:

Latest update:

That post lost credibility with me when he suggested the SEC would look at adding Duke if rebuffed by North Carolina and N.C. State.

The SEC is going to add schools that look like 13/14 teams in the league (land grant-style, large public universities with rich alumni bases and a large interest in football). A private school with pathetic football support, facilities and history, and a small, basketball-centric alumni base is not going to rev the expansion engine.

Kentucky will allow Louisville in no more than Florida will allow Florida State in or South Carolina will allow Clemson in. To speak nothing of the SEC pursuing a city-based school.

Hell, if the SEC is going to chase a private school, there are a lot of roads it would approach before going to Duke. Even SMU would be more attractive.

HolyHandgernade 07-17-2012 03:47 PM

Here's a nice summary of the stalemate:

Quote:

FSU wouldn't mind leaving the ACC but doesn't want to go elsewhere without other regional buddies...
But the Big 12 wants FSU without its regional buddies watering down the money, so that's a stalemate at present.

Meanwhile...
FSU would jump at an SEC offer...
But the SEC wants the VA and NC markets...
But the VA and NC programs won't consider the SEC without an ACCgeddon produced by FSU leaving the conference.
The SEC could easily produce such an ACCgeddon by offering FSU, but they would then lose one of their target markets and FSU is too big a gorilla for them to offer.

The SEC would prefer the Big 12 to get FSU so they have a chance at VA and NC schools in the ensuing ACCgeddon.
But ESPN would prefer the ACC stay intact and won't offer the Big 12 enough money to take enough ACC teams to make FSU happy.

HolyHandgernade 07-17-2012 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8748324)
That post lost credibility with me when he suggested the SEC would look at adding Duke if rebuffed by North Carolina and N.C. State.

The SEC is going to add schools that look like 13/14 teams in the league (land grant-style, large public universities with rich alumni bases and a large interest in football). A private school with pathetic football support, facilities and history, and a small, basketball-centric alumni base is not going to rev the expansion engine.

Kentucky will allow Louisville in no more than Florida will allow Florida State in or South Carolina will allow Clemson in. To speak nothing of the SEC pursuing a city-based school.

Hell, if the SEC is going to chase a private school, there are a lot of roads it would approach before going to Duke. Even SMU would be more attractive.

I agree, I just keep in mind that as much misinformation is put out as well as true desires. Sometimes to throw the media off, sometimes to gain leverage against the school you really want. So, I think there are nuggets in there that probably have some truth to them, and some things to try and throw off the scent.

Pitt Gorilla 07-17-2012 09:46 PM

SEC media days have been insane. Sweet pic of the trophy though:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/898/F902225.jpg

Pitt Gorilla 07-18-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8748324)

Duke offers absolutely nothing to the SEC. There is zero chance that the SEC asks them to join.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8750077)
Duke offers absolutely nothing to the SEC. There is zero chance that the SEC asks them to join.

If it meant getting UNC, there is a chance that it could happen. It's not likely, though. The more I think about it, the more I like fourteen.

Trevo_410 07-18-2012 10:31 AM

again, VT & NC State > NC and Duke. Fit's better.

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Football wise that is correct. But Duke would allow the SEC to be in the state of North Carolina, which for the cable network would be huge. Not to mention they are an AAU school for the academia and Kentucky/Duke games would be the property of the SEC for basketball. I don't see Duke as a likely choice but you never know.

DeezNutz 07-18-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

This. A million times this.

Titty Meat 07-18-2012 10:57 AM

This thread is hilarious

Frazod 07-18-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8750203)
This thread is hilarious

Speaking of hilarious, do you think you've got a shot against Northwestern this year?

qabbaan 07-18-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8748348)
I agree, I just keep in mind that as much misinformation is put out as well as true desires. Sometimes to throw the media off, sometimes to gain leverage against the school you really want. So, I think there are nuggets in there that probably have some truth to them, and some things to try and throw off the scent.

It seems what was said earlier in the thread has not changed, that you have been wrong at every stage of this process

qabbaan 07-18-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750114)
If it meant getting UNC, there is a chance that it could happen. It's not likely, though. The more I think about it, the more I like fourteen.

Those schools don't add value in football. Duke football won't generate additional interest in SEC football.

The ACC needs to just position itself as a basketball conference.

For that matter, in hockey a lot of schools don't play in the conference they do for other sports. Why not let basketball teams at schools where the football program is shite seek a good basketball conference?

Titty Meat 07-18-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8750226)
Speaking of hilarious, do you think you've got a shot against Northwestern this year?

10th in recruiting in the SEC. Mizzou might have a similar record as Northwestern if they keep it up.

ThatRaceCardGuy 07-18-2012 11:40 AM

As a KU fan l, Intialy felt MUs move to sec was a bad won for several reasons: its outside of the Midwest, different culture, and it ruined the KU MU rivalry.Now , not making that move would of have been stupid. It's all about schools positioning themselves, in a strong confrence. The eventual death of the NCAA as the governing body of colleget sports has started. The era of mega confrences operating outside of the NCAA and its ridiculous rule book is about to begin

qabbaan 07-18-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thatguy (Post 8750291)
As a KU fan l, Intialy felt MUs move to sec was a bad won for several reasons: its outside of the Midwest, different culture, and it ruined the KU MU rivalry.Now , not making that move would of have been stupid. It's all about schools positioning themselves, in a strong confrence. The eventual death of the NCAA as the governing body of colleget sports has started. The era of mega confrences operating outside of the NCAA and its ridiculous rule book is about to begin

Sensible post.

I am a Missouri fan. I am happy about the SEC move. It will be very good for the football program in recruiting, financially, and in positioning the football team to win a championship someday.

It's not that we are happy the Big 12 lost 3 schools that were always in the top half in football. I think we'd have all liked it if the big 12 had treated everyone equally and if it would have been too good a situation to leave. Unfortunately it wasn't.

You are right about re-alignment. The winners here are the schools already in the SEC, B10, and (to a lesser extent) the PAC because those schools are already in a top football conference and the top conferences got more powerful. The losers are everyone else. The traditional conferences, geographic rivalries, history.

Missouri is one of the very few schools that are winners here, so I like it that way. But the rest of the area schools were hurt by realignment so I don't love the situation because of that.

It's sort of like your parents moving out of their old neighborhood that deteriorated. They hate to leave all the memories and their home behind even though there are nothing but positives in it, outside of sentimentals.

It's too bad money caused it all, but it has been brewing. College football never adjusted to the changes the invention of cable TV brought. Now it has.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8750246)
Those schools don't add value in football. Duke football won't generate additional interest in SEC football.

The ACC needs to just position itself as a basketball conference.

For that matter, in hockey a lot of schools don't play in the conference they do for other sports. Why not let basketball teams at schools where the football program is shite seek a good basketball conference?

They add almost 20,000,000 eyeballs to the conference footprint, though.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8750243)
It seems what was said earlier in the thread has not changed, that you have been wrong at every stage of this process

It seems like you're still an asshole who can't read. I'm relating what others have said, not what I believe will or won't happen. If you don't want to read it, then just ignore me or the thread. It is relevant to the OP unlike the garbage that spews from your ass.

Mr. Plow 07-18-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8750246)

While I don't see the SEC wanting Duke, it's not necessarily about the football product they would bring. The move into NC is about TV's, period.

Mr. Plow 07-18-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750395)

Damnit. Saul beat me to it.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 8750420)
While I don't see the SEC wanting Duke, it's not necessarily about the football product they would bring. The move into NC is about TV's, period.

It's about more than televisions, but that is a large component of it.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 12:33 PM

I don't know that Duke will get those eyeballs to turn on the SEC, though. I think it more a ruse to shake NC St. loose. The State of North Carolina's BOR is like a 12 member panel, and NC St only has four votes on that panel. So even if their wish was to bolt for the SEC, they might have serious political roadblocks to making that happen.

Duke, OTH, is a private institution. If the SEC can bluff negotiations with Duke convincingly enough, it might move the NC BOR to allow each school to seek their best opportunity away from a sinking ACC. I don't think that happens unless FSU announces they are going to the B12 and VPI says it is going to the SEC.

Since FSU seems concerned about going to the B12 without a dance partner, and the B12 is still waiting on ND to commit to something (NBC, B12, ACC, etc.), there is an effective logjam. The one with the most cause to try and break that logjam is the SEC because they hate 16 and want a network. Since none of us know exactly how much a Duke membership would help/hurt that network, its hard to say how serious the SEC is, which is exactly what they want, uncertainty in all the other players.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750437)
I don't know that Duke will get those eyeballs to turn on the SEC, though. I think it more a ruse to shake NC St. loose. The State of North Carolina's BOR is like a 12 member panel, and NC St only has four votes on that panel. So even if their wish was to bolt for the SEC, they might have serious political roadblocks to making that happen.

Duke, OTH, is a private institution. If the SEC can bluff negotiations with Duke convincingly enough, it might move the NC BOR to allow each school to seek their best opportunity away from a sinking ACC. I don't think that happens unless FSU announces they are going to the B12 and VPI says it is going to the SEC.

Since FSU seems concerned about going to the B12 without a dance partner, and the B12 is still waiting on ND to commit to something (NBC, B12, ACC, etc.), there is an effective logjam. The one with the most cause to try and break that logjam is the SEC because they hate 16 and want a network. Since none of us know exactly how much a Duke membership would help/hurt that network, its hard to say how serious the SEC is, which is exactly what they want, uncertainty in all the other players.

I don't think the SEC wants NC State. The SEC favors flagship schools.

Mr. Plow 07-18-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750433)
It's about more than televisions, but that is a large component of it.

Well sure, I think ideally you'd want a school like MU. State with a large television base that is better than average at both major sports. So you get best of both worlds.... decent to good sports in a highly populated state.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750445)
I don't think the SEC wants NC State. The SEC favors flagship schools.

That might be true, but I don't think its a deal breaker. UNC is a much tougher fish to reel in. There is a high degree of academic snobbery there and at UVA. They see themselves more in a B!G academic setting than an SEC one. They know the SEC won't offer both them and Duke, but the B!G might. So, they will hold out until the bitter end which may be longer than the SEC cares to.

NC St is the football program and regaining their basketball prominence, and that would appeal to the SEC. NC St will draw enough of the interest in North Carolina to make it worthwhile unlike the crapshoot with Duke.

I think the SEC would prefer UVA and UNC, but UVA is even more snobbey than UNC, so they focused on the better football school in VPI. They'll probably do the same in North Carolina.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 12:52 PM

On the B12 side of things, ESPN has a limited number of slots for their programming and will not make bigger payouts, per team, past 12 schools. They'll match whatever past 12 schools, as long as the quality is there. FOX is willing to pay more because they get all the extra inventory.

This is why the B12 is trying to make slots 11 and 12 the most value, because they set the bar for each subsequent school. This is why they have such a love affair for ND. FSU-ND gives them the best bang for the buck, and then each subsequent school can expect that figure when joining. The bowl payout money doesn't go up with the number of teams, so each time you add teams, you further dilute that pot, that is what makes the TV contract so valuable to the B12.

By staying at 10, they get better shares. At 12, they might offset that with a CCG, but 11 and 12 will set the bar for any members beyond that.

qabbaan 07-18-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750395)

Not really. People in NC are going to be watching Clemson, South Carolina, NC State, or to a lesser degree UNC during football season. Duke doesn't rate. You might get a good TV audience airing ECU because of the alumni in CLT or even in the triangle. Virginia and Virginia Tech also have significant followings in the state.

The landscape is already crowded for football. Duke isn't going to pull TVs in that aren't already watching the SEC. It is very very very far fetched that the SEC would give Duke a minute's thought.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750462)
That might be true, but I don't think its a deal breaker. UNC is a much tougher fish to reel in. There is a high degree of academic snobbery there and at UVA. They see themselves more in a B!G academic setting than an SEC one. They know the SEC won't offer both them and Duke, but the B!G might. So, they will hold out until the bitter end which may be longer than the SEC cares to.

NC St is the football program and regaining their basketball prominence, and that would appeal to the SEC. NC St will draw enough of the interest in North Carolina to make it worthwhile unlike the crapshoot with Duke.

I think the SEC would prefer UVA and UNC, but UVA is even more snobbey than UNC, so they focused on the better football school in VPI. They'll probably do the same in North Carolina.

I don't think the SEC is in a position where they need to settle for fallback options. If UNC and Virginia aren't moving, the SEC likely stays at 14. I used to be convinced that State and Tech made sense, but the more I think about it, the less sense they make.

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 01:00 PM

North Carolina is the prize that the SEC really wants. Close to 10 million in the state and its one of the biggest brands in college sports. University of Virginia is right behind them. Thats two they really want. Big Ten wants both of them as well. Virginia Tech is 1b though for the SEC.

I could see the Big Ten making a push for North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and either Syracuse or Rutgers to go to 16. That would put a lot of money into the Big Ten network cable coffer.

qabbaan 07-18-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750499)
I don't think the SEC is in a position where they need to settle for fallback options.

I don't think they ever would be. They could have any team they wanted. They favor adding strong teams, media markets and states to their footprint - but a lot of people outside the footprint have a little misunderstanding about what schools would add to those. For example, people here think Duke could get a sniff from the SEC because they are in NC and NC has a major city or two. Not that simple.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750501)
North Carolina is the prize that the SEC really wants. Close to 10 million in the state and its one of the biggest brands in college sports. University of Virginia is right behind them. Thats two they really want. Big Ten wants both of them as well. Virginia Tech is 1b though for the SEC.

I could see the Big Ten making a push for North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, and either Syracuse or Rutgers to go to 16. That would put a lot of money into the Big Ten network cable coffer.

I could too, but someone still needs to break the logjam. The B!G, although they won't publicly state it, is waiting on ND too. In market terms, they are just that valuable. But, let's say ND reups with NBC and are effectively off the table for anyone.

What does UNC want to protect most if it feels he ACC can't be saved? They want to preserve Duke as a conference mate. Will the B!G take Duke to appease UNC? If they do, what is there next move, UVA or the NE markets? The SEC is the premiere sports conference, but overall, the B!G is the most desirable conference when you factor in academic benefits.

That's why I think by even mentioning schools like Duke and Louisville, the SEC is just shaking the tree a bit to see what might drop. The SEC just needs some kind of movement and then take their chance in the ACC pinata scramble.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750499)
I don't think the SEC is in a position where they need to settle for fallback options. If UNC and Virginia aren't moving, the SEC likely stays at 14. I used to be convinced that State and Tech made sense, but the more I think about it, the less sense they make.

Well, from what I've been reading, nobody in the SEC likes 14, it segregates the conference even more than either a 12 or 16 team conference does. Add on to the fact CBS, allegedly, won't readjust their contract portion unless the SEC has semi-finals. Then, the final straw, is that SEC network. Nobody has the actual figures, but the feeling is the SEC needs more TV markets to make the network viable. I don't mean just survive, but where it prints its own money like the BTN does.

So, sure, the SEC could stand pat, but nobody seems happy with that. The teams aren't as important as the markets, right now, to the SEC. So, NC St and VPI aren't "fallbacks" in their eyes, they are strategies. They are multiple options to get what they really want.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750529)
I could too, but someone still needs to break the logjam. The B!G, although they won't publicly state it, is waiting on ND too. In market terms, they are just that valuable. But, let's say ND reups with NBC and are effectively off the table for anyone.

What does UNC want to protect most if it feels he ACC can't be saved? They want to preserve Duke as a conference mate. Will the B!G take Duke to appease UNC? If they do, what is there next move, UVA or the NE markets? The SEC is the premiere sports conference, but overall, the B!G is the most desirable conference when you factor in academic benefits.

That's why I think by even mentioning schools like Duke and Louisville, the SEC is just shaking the tree a bit to see what might drop. The SEC just needs some kind of movement and then take their chance in the ACC pinata scramble.

I think the SEC would like the Big XII to grab FSU and Louisville, thus blowing up the ACC.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750555)
I think the SEC would like the Big XII to grab FSU and Louisville, thus blowing up the ACC.

I do too, and I think that is the only reason they even mentioned Louisville as a possibility. It just doesn't make any sense, otherwise. However, Louisville doesn't produce the biggest bang for the B12 buck and it isn't the partner school FSU is looking for, so we're back to logjam.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750559)
I do too, and I think that is the only reason they even mentioned Louisville as a possibility. It just doesn't make any sense. However, Louisville doesn't produce the biggest band for the B12 buck and it isn't the partner school FSU is looking for, so we're back to logjam.

Where have you seen the SEC mention Louisville?

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

I agree with this. I also don't think the SEC wants the PAC-12 to take Texas, OU and the crew either. That would make the ACC#4 on the pecking order.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750563)
I agree with this. I also don't think the SEC wants the PAC-12 to take Texas, OU and the crew either. That would make the ACC#4 on the pecking order.

I think the SEC would love that.

qabbaan 07-18-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

I think they would too, because the SEC would get the picks of the litter.

It would help the Big 12 to add a football school in FSU, but it also would hurt them in the sense that blowing up the ACC would would make the SEC stronger.

The Big 12 could add FSU but it's still in 4th place, and further behind the SEC than ever.

I don't think expanding with one normally good football school and one normally crappy one is going to enhance the media deal much, either.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:54 PM

Clearly KK has found Jesus regarding Mizzou's move to the SEC. The KU fans calling in are melting down over the fact that he has decided to continue to cover Mizzou. The guy on now sounds like he's about to cry.

DeezNutz 07-18-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750628)
Clearly KK has found Jesus regarding Mizzou's move to the SEC. The KU fans calling in are melting down over the fact that he has decided to continue to cover Mizzou. The guy on now sounds like he's about to cry.

:D

Phoenix tears.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750562)
Where have you seen the SEC mention Louisville?

Sorry, that was in the thread I took this info from, but wasn't in the OP. Basically, nobody buys it because why would the SEC consider Ville and not FSU? Rumors were that U of L was willing to take less money permanently in order to come on board, but most don't give that rumor any credibility. Sorry, I got my threads mixed.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750633)
Sorry, that was in the thread I took this info from, but wasn't in the OP. Basically, nobody buys it because why would the SEC consider Ville and not FSU? Rumors were that U of L was willing to take less money permanently in order to come on board, but most don't give that rumor any credibility. Sorry, I got my threads mixed.

Where, though? Not trying to call you out, just haven't seen it ever mentioned, and this stuff is like crack to me.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 02:01 PM

Spots 1-4 are all that really matters as far as top conferences. The money isn't that great a difference. The SEC, B!G and PAC will always have the advantage of continuity and history. The B12 does just fine for itself on the field of competition and the decidedly smaller population profile.

So, this "distance" between 1 and 4 isn't really much of a brag. All the schools in the top 4 are going to get paid handsomely, then its just a matter of competition on the field/court.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750641)
Where, though? Not trying to call you out, just haven't seen it ever mentioned, and this stuff is like crack to me.

Oh, well let me get you a large shipment, then:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=159&f=4582&t=9153190&p=1

qabbaan 07-18-2012 02:07 PM

You know what should have happened? The good football schools east of the Rockies should have formed a new power conference, instead of being chained up to a conference that will hurt them of they ever wanted to be in consideration for a title berth.

I'm thinking of Clemson, FSU, NC State, the Virginia schools, WV, Texas, the Oklahoma schools, Missouri, A&M, Nebraska a few years ago. They could have had a start on a conference on par with the SEC and Big Ten in terms of strength of schedule and footprint, and dollars.

It could have preserved at least some long-standing series and gained a lucrative TV deal, and these teams wouldn't have weak schedules hurting their title hopes at times, like they may in the conference where they are now.

As a Missouri fan, I will miss the primary football rival in recent years, in Nebraska. The SEC is better for Missouri, but this new conference could have been good too.

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750573)
I think the SEC would love that.

You would think that but an unstable ACC would cause some of the prizes in it to shake free. If the ACC is #4 on the pecking list I don't think you would see North Carolina become available IMO.

Pitt Gorilla 07-18-2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

UNC or NCST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Duke.

Mr. Plow 07-18-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8750713)

Definitely.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750688)
You would think that but an unstable ACC would cause some of the prizes in it to shake free. If the ACC is #4 on the pecking list I don't think you would see North Carolina become available IMO.

That's why I think the SEC would love it. UNC is on the market, and the SEC doesn't have ACC blood on its hands.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8750713)

UNC
Virginia
Virginia Tech
NC State

That's the order, and there is a huge gap between each.

Pitt Gorilla 07-18-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750633)

The SEC will NOT take Louisville. Period.

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750723)
That's why I think the SEC would love it. UNC is on the market, and the SEC doesn't have ACC blood on its hands.

Big 12 with Texas seems to be more of a threat to poach the ACC than anything else sans the Big Ten. A wounded animal (Big 12) is more likely to make a strike.

Saul Good 07-18-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750817)
Big 12 with Texas seems to be more of a threat to poach the ACC than anything else sans the Big Ten. A wounded animal (Big 12) is more likely to make a strike.

No school is going to choose a Texasless Big XII over the SEC. Hell, no school is going to choose the Big XII over the SEC WITH Texas.

ChiefsCountry 07-18-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8750844)
No school is going to choose a Texasless Big XII over the SEC. Hell, no school is going to choose the Big XII over the SEC WITH Texas.

You are clearly not getting my point. If the PAC-12 takes the Texas/Oklahoma combo with the other 2, then the SEC/Big Ten is going to have a harder time to pluck teams from the ACC. ACC would then be the #4 confernce in the country and would have a seat at the table for sure and North Carolina would be less likely to leave. Big 12 plucking away at the southern ACC schools like FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami etc would put the ACC ripe for the SEC and Big Ten plucking for the prime ACC schools.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8750734)
The SEC will NOT take Louisville. Period.

I agree, even an expanded B12 does not covet Louisville.

HolyHandgernade 07-18-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750856)
You are clearly not getting my point. If the PAC-12 takes the Texas/Oklahoma combo with the other 2, then the SEC/Big Ten is going to have a harder time to pluck teams from the ACC. ACC would then be the #4 confernce in the country and would have a seat at the table for sure and North Carolina would be less likely to leave. Big 12 plucking away at the southern ACC schools like FSU, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami etc would put the ACC ripe for the SEC and Big Ten plucking for the prime ACC schools.

It doesn't matter, its not going to happen anyway. Texas wants to be in this region and they are the financial kingpin of their own conference. They have no interest in leaving. The partnership between the SEC and B12 guarantees their status in the pecking order, there is no incentive for teams to leave the B12.

The only discussion in the B12 right now is do we expand, and if so, by how much with whom. The B12 is actually very profitable with 10.

Now, what happens if there is no movement and the ESPN contract is not signed? That could open the B12 up for other bidders. That's why the extension hasn't been signed, It has nothing to do with discord, it has to do with maximizing the value. Once a contract is signed, its difficult to get it reopened, so the B12 is being pragmatic.

Bambi 07-18-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8751048)
It doesn't matter, its not going to happen anyway. Texas wants to be in this region and they are the financial kingpin of their own conference. They have no interest in leaving. The partnership between the SEC and B12 guarantees their status in the pecking order, there is no incentive for teams to leave the B12.

The only discussion in the B12 right now is do we expand, and if so, by how much with whom. The B12 is actually very profitable with 10.

Now, what happens if there is no movement and the ESPN contract is not signed? That could open the B12 up for other bidders. That's why the extension hasn't been signed, It has nothing to do with discord, it has to do with maximizing the value. Once a contract is signed, its difficult to get it reopened, so the B12 is being pragmatic.

The Big 12 schools are bringing in so much with their 10 team deal that there are only one or two programs in America that make any sense to add. A 10 team round robin is fun. Gets a true Champion in the league every year and avoids the pitfalls of the extra game loss derailing a Big 12 team going to the NC game.

At least that's what we're being told... :hmmm:

Bambi 07-18-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 8750856)

The PAC 12??? How many times do you guys have to hear that is never going to happen and never was. Enough, let's get some fresh ideas going here.

alnorth 07-18-2012 06:01 PM

It might be nothing, but Clemson is making "a major announcement" on Friday.

http://features.clemson.edu/inside-c...med-%20friday/

Also, in possibly unrelated news, today Clemson cancelled their series later this decade against Ole Miss and Oklahoma State.

edit: Some Clemson people are thinking that it'll probably be to celebrate the success of a big fundraising drive to pay for something, so it probably is nothing.

tredadda 07-18-2012 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750400)
It seems like you're still an asshole who can't read. I'm relating what others have said, not what I believe will or won't happen. If you don't want to read it, then just ignore me or the thread. It is relevant to the OP unlike the garbage that spews from your ass.

Thing is this though, you are quoting of all sources the Scout WVU board who has perpetually been wrong on almost any and every aspect of conference realignment. This reflects on you and while it may or may not be your opinion, it definitely should not be a source that you should put too much stock into.

tredadda 07-18-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Ummm, no. People in NC are close enough to SEC country they can watch games almost at will. They won't shell out extra dough for an SEC Network or watch more SEC games because Duke is there. I am willing to bet Duke's fanbase for their football program is not that high either. If the SEC wants the NC market, they need to bring in a school that will actually be of interest to those in NC, and almost any school there does that from a FB perspective more than Duke would.

tredadda 07-18-2012 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8750462)

^ This. I think the SEC would love UNC and UVA and they would be shoo ins if they wanted to come. I think though that if the ACC broke apart, the B1G would jump all over those schools as well and due to academics and money (mainly the CIC), UNC and UVA go to the B1G. This means the SEC goes to Plan B which is VT and NCSU.

tredadda 07-18-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qabbaan (Post 8750518)
I don't think they ever would be. They could have any team they wanted. They favor adding strong teams, media markets and states to their footprint - but a lot of people outside the footprint have a little misunderstanding about what schools would add to those. For example, people here think Duke could get a sniff from the SEC because they are in NC and NC has a major city or two. Not that simple.

Wrong.
They wanted UT and didn't get them.
They wanted OU and did not get them
I almost guarantee they would love to have ND but wont get them
They want UNC, but most likely wont get them if the ACC dissolves
They want UVA (see above comment)

There are many schools out there who would love to go to the SEC, but let's not kid ourselves there are big fish they want but most likely wont land.

Setsuna 07-18-2012 10:27 PM

Duke is garbage. NC St before them.

HolyHandgernade 07-19-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 8752102)
Thing is this though, you are quoting of all sources the Scout WVU board who has perpetually been wrong on almost any and every aspect of conference realignment. This reflects on you and while it may or may not be your opinion, it definitely should not be a source that you should put too much stock into.

I leave critical thinking to the individual. If there is no material to consider, it makes it a very dull thread.

Saul Good 07-19-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8752830)
I leave critical thinking to the individual. If there is no material to consider, it makes it a very dull thread.

Bring the rumors.

HolyHandgernade 07-19-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8752881)
Bring the rumors.

Right now, most rumors are speculating on the new wild card in the whole situation: PSU. Does the current controversy warrant an expulsion from the B1G? If it does, what does the B1G do to get back to 12, and how soon?

Some of the scenarios being floated:

Missouri (SEC has no withdraw penalties, would Mizzou be that bold if offered?)

Virginia Tech (are the academics up to snuff and would this be preferable to UVA at a possible later date)?

Pitt/Syracuse (they just settled to get out of the BEAST)

Rutgers (exit penalties to consider)

Maryland (are they worthy enough)

Also, would they sit at 12 again, or use this to expand quickly to 16?

Saul Good 07-19-2012 11:15 AM

Could the Big XII survive as an 8 team league if they lost, say, Tech and Iowa State?

Bambi 07-19-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8753026)
Right now, most rumors are speculating on the new wild card in the whole situation: PSU. Does the current controversy warrant an expulsion from the B1G? If it does, what does the B1G do to get back to 12, and how soon?

Some of the scenarios being floated:

Missouri (SEC has no withdraw penalties, would Mizzou be that bold if offered?)

Virginia Tech (are the academics up to snuff and would this be preferable to UVA at a possible later date)?

Pitt/Syracuse (they just settled to get out of the BEAST)

Rutgers (exit penalties to consider)

Maryland (are they worthy enough)

Also, would they sit at 12 again, or use this to expand quickly to 16?

Now THIS is a good rumor.

HolyHandgernade 07-19-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8753041)
Could the Big XII survive as an 8 team league if they lost, say, Tech and Iowa State?

I think the contract requires a ten team conference, so they would have to replace those schools quickly if it ever came to that.

Saul Good 07-19-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HolyHandgernade (Post 8753106)
I think the contract requires a ten team conference, so they would have to replace those schools quickly if it ever came to that.

That aside, would it be a viable conference in today's world? I feel like it could be a better with only eight teams if they were the right eight.

Titty Meat 07-19-2012 12:03 PM

PSU isn't going anywhere.

HolyHandgernade 07-19-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8753146)
That aside, would it be a viable conference in today's world? I feel like it could be a better with only eight teams if they were the right eight.

ISU would probably be the easiest to lose because of its location. TT would be really difficult to let go because of Texas politics. Obviously, if you have less mouths to feed, you get higher percentages of revenues, but I don't know that those programs detract that much to even really being a consideration.

HolyHandgernade 07-19-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 8753154)
PSU isn't going anywhere.

Maybe, maybe not:

Quote:

Big Ten officials are still in the early stages of debating how to handle fallout from the scandal. Among other ideas, the league’s presidents and chancellors could consider removing Penn State from the conference, one Big Ten leader told The Chronicle.

The Big Ten Conference Handbook, which governs the league’s operations, does not contain language addressing a situation as egregious as what happened at Penn State.

But the conference’s bylaws prescribe potentially severe penalties for member institutions that break lesser rules. Any Big Ten university that employs or retains workers who intentionally falsify or deliberately fail to provide complete and accurate information during an investigation may be required to “show cause why its membership in the conference should not be suspended or terminated,” the Big Ten’s 2011-12 handbook says.

At least four top Penn State officials—including Graham B. Spanier, the former president, and Timothy M. Curley, the athletic director on administrative leave—failed to paint an accurate picture of how much they knew about Jerry Sandusky, the former coach convicted on 45 counts of child sex abuse, according to an independent report released last week. Both Spanier and Curley were part of a culture that tried to “actively conceal” abuse by the former coach, the report said.

The Big Ten’s 12-member Council of Presidents and Chancellors must approve any decision to suspend, expel, or place on probation any member of the conference. According to the conference handbook, expulsion requires a vote of not less than 60 percent of the full council (a Big Ten spokesman said that figure is actually 70 percent, or eight members, which will be reflected in the 2012-13 handbook).

The Big Ten does not have a contingency scheduling plan should Penn State’s football team be banned from playing this or any season, a senior league official told The Chronicle. But fallout from the scandal has many Big Ten leaders on edge.

http://chronicle.com/blogs/pla...e-coaches/30771

Saul Good 07-19-2012 12:16 PM

PSU isn't going anywhere, and Mizzou wouldn't even answer the phone, anyway. That ship has sailed.

DeezNutz 07-19-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8753190)
PSU isn't going anywhere, and Mizzou wouldn't even answer the phone, anyway. That ship has sailed.