ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Handy-Man Corner (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=99538)

DonInDenver 09-15-2013 02:57 PM

Going down in the spring to totally enclose and make a sitting room out of it.

KCUnited 10-02-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9972431)
Electrical advice needed for simpleton. I have 2 outdoor outlets, one on my deck and one on my pergola. I have a GFCI outlet in my basement that they run off of (???). I'm installing some rope lights on the pergola. I plugged the rope lights into the GFCI outlet and they worked. When I took them outside to the pergola outlet and plugged them in, they didn't work. So I walked downstairs to the GFCI outlet and the red light was on. I pressed the reset button and it sparked a bit. Now nothing that I plug into the GFCI outlet or my 2 outdoor outlets work. Circuit breaker looks fine.

What did I do and how can I fix it? Did that GFCI outlet save my life?

Update: Welp, looks like ground squirrels under my pergola chewed through the wire running from the outlet. I have an electrician out running a new line encased in a heavy duty tubing.

I've been filling a bucket half full with water and sunflower seeds, drowning 2 or 3 of those things at a time. Not handy, but I'd take anyone's ground squirrel solutions.

jspchief 10-02-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10041166)
Update: Welp, looks like ground squirrels under my pergola chewed through the wire running from the outlet. I have an electrician out running a new line encased in a heavy duty tubing.

I've been filling a bucket half full with water and sunflower seeds, drowning 2 or 3 of those things at a time. Not handy, but I'd take anyone's ground squirrel solutions.

Antifreeze

kepp 10-02-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Any charred remains?

KCUnited 10-02-2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 10041253)
Any charred remains?

I was hoping, but I didn't see anything. There was something rank back there this summer, so I'm sincerely hoping it was one of those bastards.

Radar Chief 10-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Pellet rifle and a 12 of beer, sounds like entertainment to me.

Rooster 02-14-2014 03:02 PM

Has anyone put new windows on your house? I'm paying to have it done by the way. While I do consider myself 'handy' the idea of me being responsible for a sizeable hole in my house is not appealing.

I guess my real question is feedback on vinyl vs composite vs figerglass window framing. Any horror stories or stories of victory out there between the types?

kepp 03-11-2014 12:48 PM

So I have a leaking washer. It's an LG front-loading model...almost 10 years old. Two days ago my wife washed a load and informed me that there was water coming from it. I told her to go make me a sandwich while I looked at it. I checked it out and it appears to be coming from underneath (pipes/hoses/drainage in the back were all dry, as well as the wall beneath the hookups and drainage pipe). Is a 10 year old washer worth fixing?

EDIT: And does anyone have a good repairman around KCMO North?

Rooster 03-11-2014 01:13 PM

Sorry kepp, your question will be answered in the order it was received. I'm still waiting on my window question. :evil:

kepp 03-11-2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 10480436)
Sorry kepp, your question will be answered in the order it was received. I'm still waiting on my window question. :evil:

LMAO "The current wait time is approximately....9 hours."

BourbonMan 03-11-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 10480387)
So I have a leaking washer. It's an LG front-loading model...almost 10 years old. Two days ago my wife washed a load and informed me that there was water coming from it. I told her to go make me a sandwich while I looked at it. I checked it out and it appears to be coming from underneath (pipes/hoses/drainage in the back were all dry, as well as the wall beneath the hookups and drainage pipe). Is a 10 year old washer worth fixing?

EDIT: And does anyone have a good repairman around KCMO North?

In this day and age, if you got an appliance to last 10 yrs..especially a washer, you did damn good.
Go buy a new one..and in my opinion, dont get another front loader.

Phobia 03-12-2014 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BourbonMan (Post 10480478)
In this day and age, if you got an appliance to last 10 yrs..especially a washer, you did damn good.
Go buy a new one..and in my opinion, dont get another front loader.

Agree with this. They're not even designed to last that long. Though, LG makes pretty nice stuff.

Phobia 03-12-2014 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 10433483)
Has anyone put new windows on your house? I'm paying to have it done by the way. While I do consider myself 'handy' the idea of me being responsible for a sizeable hole in my house is not appealing.

I guess my real question is feedback on vinyl vs composite vs figerglass window framing. Any horror stories or stories of victory out there between the types?

I think that as long as you're not installing wood and the glass is appropriate for the application, you're half-way to victory. The other half is a proper installation by experienced professionals. Anybody who gets a $189 window installed is getting crap thrown in a hole in your house. Between install and the window, you should be paying at least $500 at a bare minimum if you're looking to upgrade to anything energy efficient at all.

Iowanian 07-16-2014 10:00 PM

Are there any ez go golf cart repairmen in the house?

I have a mid 2000's gas golf cart. Lately, when I stop and even turn the key off it just keeps turning over. Ideas on what is wrong would be appreciated. I know nothing about them.

Mr_Tomahawk 07-16-2014 10:04 PM

Low on antifreeze.