ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2013 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267564)

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9681272)
Frenchy : 29 years and 4,476 ABs
Moose : 24 years old and 1,016 ABs

Chisenhall has only 448 ABs. Clearly didn't give him enough time. He can't learn down in AAA anyway right?

Ceej 05-14-2013 10:09 AM

It's hard to get too excited about a baseball player named Lonnie.

Demonpenz 05-14-2013 10:13 AM

Lonnie Smith was good Skates!

Cephalic Trauma 05-14-2013 10:18 AM

Can we start a list of the players Prison has been critical of? Because right now, outside of the pitchers, it sounds like everybody would be demoted if Prison was the GM.

alnorth 05-14-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9681110)
Whoa whoa buddy - are we allowed to talk about the facts here? You're living in a dream world if you think Moose has turned it on lately. He hit .195 in April and .211 so far in May.

You're kidding me, right?

I thought you liked SLG and OPS. Now, you are regressing to caveman statistics when it serves your purpose?

Demonpenz 05-14-2013 10:32 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k_VNElUJfz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is my Song based off of Lewdogs problems with Eric Hosmer.

alnorth 05-14-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9681216)
Look, if Moose (and Hos) are putting up these numbers in June, by all means, send them down, but any major decisions now would be misguided and (over)reactionary.

The funny thing is in 3 or 4 short weeks, we might be calling for Moose to get sent down, but that wouldn't make Prison Bitch right.

siberian khatru 05-14-2013 11:58 AM

Bob Dutton ‏@Royals_Report 8m
One of #Royals top prospects, Hi-A Wilmington OF Jorge Bonifacio, expected to miss 6-8 weeks because of hand injury (likely broken hamate).

penbrook 05-14-2013 12:07 PM

Per MLBNetworkRadio

Ned Yost said they will use Jarrod Dyson in CF more and Lorenzo Cain in RF and wait for Jeff Francoeur to figure it out

Ebolapox 05-14-2013 12:11 PM

wait for him to figure it out? ROFL

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9681353)
You're kidding me, right?

I thought you liked SLG and OPS. Now, you are regressing to caveman statistics when it serves your purpose?

I guess posting WAR stats is "caveman" in your book. I guess referring to Fan Graphs is something Don Fortune would do. Clearly, I need to get into your good graces by posting something even more SABR-metric-y.

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9681612)
The funny thing is in 3 or 4 short weeks, we might be calling for Moose to get sent down, but that wouldn't make Prison Bitch right.

LMAO

I'll be happy to let Chris Antonetti take the credit for it so long as it happens.

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9681657)
Per MLBNetworkRadio

Ned Yost said they will use Jarrod Dyson in CF more and Lorenzo Cain in RF and wait for Jeff Francoeur to figure it out

I'm really impressed the Royals are making these moves because in years past, they woudn't have. Gordon should've never been anywhere but the 3 slot the past few years but at least they changed it. Frenchy had the short leash they promised he would. Getz got dumped for Johnson (who's been crazy good defensively). They're letting my boy Mendoza keep pitching. For the most part the Royals have done some decent things nearing the 1/4 point.

gblowfish 05-14-2013 12:35 PM

Tonight I'm going to see "42" the Jackie Robinson Story. Looking forward to it very much.

ChiefsCountry 05-14-2013 12:40 PM

Last night's lineup replacing Gretz with Johnson should be what the Royals roll with for a while IMO.

Dyson - R -8
Esky - R- 6
Gordon - L- 7
Butler - R- DH
Hos - L- 3
Cain - R- 9
Moose - L- 5
Salvy - R- 2
Johnson - S- 4

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9681748)
Last night's lineup replacing Gretz with Johnson should be what the Royals roll with for a while IMO.

Dyson - R -8
Esky - R- 6
Gordon - L- 7
Butler - R- DH
Hos - L- 3
Cain - R- 9
Moose - L- 5
Salvy - R- 2
Johnson - S- 4

Dyson is a lefthanded hitter.

But I agree, this should be the lineup

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 9681657)
Per MLBNetworkRadio

There's nothing for Francoeur to figure out.

His bat is slow. He has lost bat speed and can no longer hit decent fastballs in the zone.

He has lost not one but TWO steps in the field. His below average-range is a real hindrance to his OF defense, despite his great arm.

They are realizing this, I think. Gotta be nice about it in the media, though.

mr. tegu 05-14-2013 01:12 PM

Dyson is fun to watch. If could consistently take away pitches to the left side he could get on a base at a very high rate with his speed.

Bowser 05-14-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9681733)
Tonight I'm going to see "42" the Jackie Robinson Story. Looking forward to it very much.

Excellent movie. Harrison Ford needs to be nominated for his role.

Dartgod 05-14-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9681702)
I guess posting WAR stats is "caveman" in your book. I guess referring to Fan Graphs is something Don Fortune would do. Clearly, I need to get into your good graces by posting something even more SABR-metric-y.

Or you could just make up stats. Wouldn't be the first time.

Ceej 05-14-2013 01:41 PM

Someone get the game thread going.

Don't want this Wiggins boner to subside.

Guthrie dominating ought to keep it.

ChiefsCountry 05-14-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9681799)
Dyson is a lefthanded hitter.

But I agree, this should be the lineup

:banghead: I know Dyson is a lefty. Typing to quick before brain reacts.

KevB 05-14-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9681297)
Chisenhall has only 448 ABs. Clearly didn't give him enough time. He can't learn down in AAA anyway right?

I quoted your comparison of Moose to Frenchy, and called out why that's absurd. Where exactly did Lonnie Chisenhall fit into that comparison?

If you throw a bunch of shit at the wall, you're going to get called out for it (i.e. comparing a 24 year old prospect to a 29 year old has been). If you want to compare Moose to Chisenhall, then that's a more relevant conversation.

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 03:04 PM

Thoughts on Howie Kendrick if the Angels continue to tank?

I didn't think about it much before this series, but after seeing how hobbled Pujols and how little Josh Hamilton cares, I can see the Angels having a rough year.

They aren't going to trade Trout, and Pujols and Hamilton are untradeable. That basically leaves Trumbo and Kendrick as the only tradeable options.

Kendrick is a good but not great 2B who is fairly expensive ($10 million in 2014 and 15). They could probably get 2-3 nice, young and cheap pieces that would help in return for him.

My eyes still are on Chase Utley, but Kendrick would be a nice consolation prize.

CaliforniaChief 05-14-2013 03:10 PM

I've put Kendrick's name out there before. He is a bit pricey for what you get back, but he's a solid hitter and has good defensive skills as well.

I'd take him, but the Angels would have to eat some of that salary.

BigCatDaddy 05-14-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9682063)
Thoughts on Howie Kendrick if the Angels continue to tank?

I didn't think about it much before this series, but after seeing how hobbled Pujols and how little Josh Hamilton cares, I can see the Angels having a rough year.

They aren't going to trade Trout, and Pujols and Hamilton are untradeable. That basically leaves Trumbo and Kendrick as the only tradeable options.

Kendrick is a good but not great 2B who is fairly expensive ($10 million in 2014 and 15). They could probably get 2-3 nice, young and cheap pieces that would help in return for him.

My eyes still are on Chase Utley, but Kendrick would be a nice consolation prize.

I'll take Trumbo.

C3HIEF3S 05-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Great movie, saw it last night.

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9682108)
I'll take Trumbo.

I'd love Trumbo but can't see them moving him for anything less than a King's ransom (or Trout, obviously, at really any price). Too young, too controlled, too inexpensive. And too good.

The time to strike at Trumbo was probably the past offseason, when he was coming off a bit of a down year and his stock was a little lower. And before they cleared their huge glut of OF options.

CaliforniaChief 05-14-2013 03:32 PM

How about Colon/Giavotella, Coleman, and Eibner for him?

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9681885)
If you want to compare Moose to Chisenhall, then that's a more relevant conversation.

This is some serious Twilight Zone stuff here. So now to that point: explain why Chisenhall is down but not Moose. I was told these guys need MLB time to "develop" and that AAA won't help them. But here we see a team that actually develops hitters at this level sending him down. A guy who's quite comparable to Moose.

People wonder why we can't develop hitters. Well? Here's one possible answer. Right here. In the division. They're doing something drastically different.

alnorth 05-14-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9681702)

For crying out loud, come on, focus. You are angry at having your Chisenhall analogy refuted, and you are flailing away blindly.

ONCE AGAIN, the argument is, since May, since Moose has worked on whatever it is they asked him to work on, he's done much better. Using his season-to-date WAR, which includes April, does not do a damned thing to help your argument that Moose and Chisenhall are the same.

They are not. Moose has done well recently, Chisenhall has not. I can not believe you actually used his May batting average, and then when I pointed out the obvious (you ignored his May power), you then reverted back to arguing about his whole season again. Using his whole season does nothing to address what we are all saying. You are not arguing in good faith, at all.

alnorth 05-14-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9682170)
This is some serious Twilight Zone stuff here. So now to that point: explain why Chisenhall is down but not Moose.

I did. Over and over and over again. You refuse to accept it.

Chisenhall sucked from April to now. Moose has done well recently. It is completely illogical to send Moose down when he may have turned a corner.

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9682173)
For crying out loud, come on, focus. You are angry at having your Chisenhall analogy refuted, and you are flailing away blindly.

LMAO. Refuted? More like proved. Cleveland basically proved my whole argument on this.

Quote:

ONCE AGAIN, the argument is, since May, since Moose has worked on whatever it is they asked him to work on, he's done much better. Using his season-to-date WAR, which includes April, does not do a damned thing to help your argument that Moose and Chisenhall are the same.

I already posted that Moose's avg + walk/K ratio hasn't improved at all in May. It's a myth in your mind. He hit a few fly balls out finally, Wooptydoo. I don't know what either's splits are in fielding or baserunning.

Quote:

They are not. Moose has done well recently, Chisenhall has not. I can not believe you actually used his May batting average, and then when I pointed out the obvious (you ignored his May power), you then reverted back to arguing about his whole season again. Using his whole season does nothing to address what we are all saying. You are not arguing in good faith, at all.
Go look at the monthly splits. It'll be instructive to you. Either way here's how it boils down: The Indians seem to agree with me, the Royals seem to agree with you.

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 9682176)
IChisenhall sucked from April to now. Moose has done well recently. It is completely illogical to send Moose down when he may have turned a corner.

What's great is that I'll be wrong either way. If we let Moose stay up and he turns it around, then I'm disproven. If he doesn't and is sent down later this month, the poster above said I'll still be wrong. It's a fascinating way to look at debate when no matter what happens, you are guaranteed to be wrong. lulz

alnorth 05-14-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9682184)
He hit a few fly balls out finally, Wooptydoo. I don't know what either's splits are in fielding or baserunning.

Either you are not making sense because making sense would be inconvenient for your argument...

... or you are the first person in the history of baseball to embrace both batting average and WAR, but completely discount power.

Slugging doesn't matter, and OPS should be ignored unless the AVG is high, are you kidding me with this?

alnorth 05-14-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9682195)
poster above said I'll still be wrong. It's a fascinating way to look at debate when no matter what happens, you are guaranteed to be wrong. lulz

This is correct, you will have still been wrong, because with the information we had at the time, your position makes no sense.

Deberg_1990 05-14-2013 03:51 PM

Frenchy just needs more time to figure it out.

Signed Hochevar
Posted via Mobile Device

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 9682163)
How about Colon/Giavotella, Coleman, and Eibner for him?

For Kendrick?

Probably is not enough unless the Angels really like Gio or Colon.

Coleman is a nice throw-in piece. Eibner is not valuable.

I'd guess the Royals opening offer might be something like:

Chris Dwyer (has recovered intriguing prospect status), Will Smith (capable of being a solid 4-5 starter), Gio, and a lotto ticket arm like Jason Adam.

That would give the Angels three cheap and close MLB guys and a lotto ticket that might help. In Dwyer, they have a guy who has 3/4 starter upside.

I suspect the Angels would come back asking for something that includes Yordano Ventura, though.

CaliforniaChief 05-14-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9682218)
For Kendrick?

Probably is not enough unless the Angels really like Gio or Colon.

Coleman is a nice throw-in piece. Eibner is not valuable.

I'd guess the Royals opening offer might be something like:

Chris Dwyer (has recovered intriguing prospect status), Will Smith (capable of being a solid 4-5 starter), Gio, and a lotto ticket arm like Jason Adam.

That would give the Angels three cheap and close MLB guys and a lotto ticket that might help. In Dwyer, they have a guy who has 3/4 starter upside.

I suspect the Angels would come back asking for something that includes Yordano Ventura, though.

I would not surrender Ventura for Kendrick. I'd tell the Angels to go choke on their under-achieving old team.

But I'd surrender the prospects you named. I have a high view on Kendrick, just not Ventura-high.

duncan_idaho 05-14-2013 04:00 PM

al -
Save yourself some heartburn and stop trying to argue baseball logic with PB. It's either beyond him or he's trolling.

Funny how the Bitch was nowhere to be found three days ago (when Moustakas was in the midst of a two-week tear in which he was hitting over .350 and slugging around .700).

Funny how he keeps ignoring the fact that in his last 50 at-bats - even including the recent 0-13 skid over the past 3 games - Moustakas is STILL:

.260 AVG
.339 OBP
.540 SLG

With 6 XBH (2 2B, 4 HR), 7 R and 9 RBI.

He has OPSed .879 since making the changes to his swing that were mentioned in the Star/since the start of the Cleveland series.

Send him down!

NOw stop quoting the troll, please.

Great Expectations 05-14-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Very good flick, better than I expected

Chiefspants 05-14-2013 08:06 PM

Prison seems like one of those special Pioli esque guys who'd rather double down on his blunders than admit he was in the wrong.

Prison Bitch 05-14-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9683062)
Prison seems like one of those special ***** esque guys who'd rather double down on his blunders than admit he was in the wrong.

MOOOOOSE! now in an 0-18 skid. Looks like he's finally found his groove.

:thumb:

Chiefspants 05-15-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9683840)
MOOOOOSE! now in an 0-18 skid. Looks like he's finally found his groove.

:thumb:

If the slump is still going strong into June, by all means, send him down.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 06:58 AM

So was I wrong?

Chiefspants 05-15-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9683992)
So was I wrong?

About what exactly? Platooning Salvy with Kottaras? Sorry, man, I'm losing track of your cutting edge suggestions.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9683995)
About what exactly? Platooning Salvy with Kottaras? Sorry, man, I'm losing track of your cutting edge suggestions.

I know it's hard for you to admit I'm right about MOOOOOOSE! You obv weren't aware of the actual facts. You like the guy and hoped he'd become a star, and it hurts you that he sucks. I get it. Fan favorites always get treated differently by the fanbase.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 07:35 AM

Dayton is about to enter his 8th year in June. (Yeah, 8th). Who has he produced on this roster? He didn't draft or develope Butler or Gordon or Greinke (who produced Cain + Escobar). Hosmer + Moustakas are awful. As is Frenchy + Getz obv.

As of today the only regular he's drafted & developed is Perez. On the pitching side? Drafted none of our rotation. Drafted only Crow (9th overall no less) and Holland. That's all we have to show for 7 full years Dayton?

Chiefspants 05-15-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684011)
I know it's hard for you to admit I'm right about MOOOOOOSE! You obv weren't aware of the actual facts. You like the guy and hoped he'd become a star, and it hurts you that he sucks. I get it. Fan favorites always get treated differently by the fanbase.

Alex Gordon says whazzup.

And I am done wasting any cognitive energy on you, you are nothing more than a collection of inane and incomprehensible blunderings.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9684028)
Alex Gordon says whazzup.

And I am done quoting you, you are nothing more than a collection of inane and incomprehensible blunderings.

Fortunately, even you can comprehend 0-18 though.

sedated 05-15-2013 07:50 AM

ignore works a whole lot better when you guys don't quote PB

BigCatDaddy 05-15-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684034)
Fortunately, even you can comprehend 0-18 though.

I'm not sure there are much better options. Tejeda?

duncan_idaho 05-15-2013 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 9684047)
ignore works a whole lot better when you guys don't quote PB

He needs to stick to kansas basketball discussion and talking about his obsession with Mizzou and stop cluttering our Royals thread with his nonsense.

ChiefsCountry 05-15-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9684053)
He needs to stick to kansas basketball discussion and talking about his obsession with Mizzou and stop cluttering our Royals thread with his nonsense.

Hamas beat him down in the Cardinals thread as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9684049)

That's sorta on Dayton for allowing our roster to be so thin, that Tejada is our option. I mean Cleveland has Mike Aviles up there. We should have a similar guy to play utility. (I guess Colon was supposed to be that). Regardless, you won't be losing anything from a negative WAR guy at the plate that MOOSE! has been.

In related news I'd like someone to explain why Johnny G won't get his chance at 2B, a non-premium position that we're now in a 3-person platoon. While the Cold Corner gets unlimited playing time.

Chiefspants 05-15-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9684053)

As a KU fan, I would rather he focus on his latent lust for all things Mizzou.

duncan_idaho 05-15-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

There really aren't any better options, but if he continues to skid, you kind of have to do something to shake it up.

He slumped to start the season and was entering "turn it around now" territory, when he did just that. He wasn't able to sustain the turn around, though. At least if the last four games are any indication.

You don't demote a guy who struggles out of the gate in April, especially when a flaw is identified and he is working to fix it (And then goes on a tear). But if he still is scuffling in May, it makes sense.

By all accounts, he is a hard worker who cares and tries extremely hard. Sending him down to Omaha is not a magical fix, but if his confidence is starting to wane, a few weeks there might get him back into the swing of things.

Of course, Moustakas has already conquered that level (.290/25 HR/92 RBI/.331 OBP/.531 SLG) so it isn't necessarily indicative of improved success at the MLB level.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 9684055)
Hamas beat him down in the Cardinals thread as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Was that the guy who argued that KC was a similar baseball market as STL?

LMAO

Dartgod 05-15-2013 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684011)

Facts like these? :hmmm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9664737)
ROFL

Anyway back to reality. By my calcs Moose has to hit .361 the rest of the way to finish at .300. Obv wont happen but if he hits .300 from here out he can finish at .250. (That's how buried he already is)

SPATCH 05-15-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be mad if we brought up Falu to play 3B for a little bit.

It is probably time to shake things up a bit for Moose.

Also, Gio should clearly be playing 2B right now. This offense needs a makeover.

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684023)
Drafted only Crow (9th overall no less)

He was 12th overall by the Royals in 2009. The Nats drafted him 9th the year before. He is a solid contributor but still a bad pick.

As I'm looking through the rest of the 1st round that year, Shelby Miller and Mike Trout are the only players worth a pick and it's still early for Miller. DM is paid to get it right, but that was a turd of a first round.

duncan_idaho 05-15-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9684110)
He was 12th overall by the Royals in 2009. The Nats drafted him 9th the year before. He is a solid contributor but still a bad pick.

Crow is not bad for that draft slot, in that draft, especially when compared to the other guys drafted around him.

Grant Green, Alex White, Matt Purke, Bobby Berchering, AJ Pollack and Chad James were the next six guys off the board.

You have to get to No. 19, and Shelby Miller, before you go "that should have been the pick."

And it probably should have, if Dayton Moore sticks to his traditional draft strategy (upside HS guys vs. college guys). But there was a reason Miller fell to 19... perceived contract demand and signability (he was committed to aTm) issues.

Crow could have just as easily been the righthanded version of Chris Sale. They had the same strengths (velocity, slider) and weaknesses (violent delivery, changeup that needs development, command) coming out of the draft.

It was a decent pick that didn't work out quite the way we hoped, but it still is the 5th best pick in that draft so far (Stras, Trout, Miller, Mike Minor, Crow).

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9684110)

You're right, I forgot he was a re-draft.

Quote:

As I'm looking through the rest of the 1st round that year, Shelby Miller and Mike Trout are the only players worth a pick and it's still early for Miller. DM is paid to get it right, but that was a turd of a first round.
YProbably. I'm just pointing out his roster right now barely reflects any scouting decisions he or his scouts made re: amateurs.

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9684122)
It was a decent pick that didn't work out quite the way we hoped, but it still is the 5th best pick in that draft so far (Stras, Trout, Miller, Mike Minor, Crow).

I agree with you, but I think if a team should get more of a contributor than a reliever in the top third (roughly) of the draft. Of the top 5 in that draft the Royals could have drafted 3 of them and picked the worst of the 3 and the drop off to Crow is pretty significant IMO.

Not saying the pick was a disaster, not saying it was good. Just average/bad based on what was there and what DM produced.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 09:00 AM

For a guy drafting at the top of the draft so often, Dayton hasn't produced jack squat from it. Colon & Bubba were top-5 picks. We don't know the outcome on the latter but jeebus the former is a total waste.

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684139)
For a guy drafting at the top of the draft so often, Dayton hasn't produced jack squat from it. Colon & Bubba were top-5 picks. We don't know the outcome on the latter but jeebus the former is a total waste.

It says a lot about Colon and Giavotella that they can't sniff a call up at 2b for a team with a gaping hole at that position.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9684142)
It says a lot about Colon and Giavotella that they can't sniff a call up at 2b for a team with a gaping hole at that position.

I know what you're saying. But I never liked these arguments because we have to assume Dayton is 100% right to trust that. Gia might be a bit different, in the sense he can actually play at this level. I see no reason he can't be another Mike Aviles whom Dayton let go for some odd reason. Personally I think Dayton hates offense.

• Royals second baseman Johnny Giavotella posted an 8.0% walk and only 11.3% strikeout rate in 503 plate appearances at Triple-A Omaha last season but saw those rates deteriorate considerably (to 3.2% and 17.1%, respectively) during his almost 200 plate appearances at the major-league level. This year, he improved upon his plate-discipline stats, walking in 11.0% of his 418 Triple-A plate appearances and striking out out in just 9.6% of them. A comparable performance at the major-league level (139 PA, 5.8%, 18.7% K,.237/.281/.298, .288 BABIP, 61 wRC+, -0.3 WAR in 2012 so far) remains absent, but the control of the strike zone is very present.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily...rs-of-the-pcl/

Three7s 05-15-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9684168)
I know what you're saying. But I never liked these arguments because we have to assume Dayton is 100% right to trust that. Gia might be a bit different, in the sense he can actually play at this level. I see no reason he can't be another Mike Aviles whom Dayton let go for some odd reason. Personally I think Dayton hates offense.

• Royals second baseman Johnny Giavotella posted an 8.0% walk and only 11.3% strikeout rate in 503 plate appearances at Triple-A Omaha last season but saw those rates deteriorate considerably (to 3.2% and 17.1%, respectively) during his almost 200 plate appearances at the major-league level. This year, he improved upon his plate-discipline stats, walking in 11.0% of his 418 Triple-A plate appearances and striking out out in just 9.6% of them. A comparable performance at the major-league level (139 PA, 5.8%, 18.7% K,.237/.281/.298, .288 BABIP, 61 wRC+, -0.3 WAR in 2012 so far) remains absent, but the control of the strike zone is very present.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/daily...rs-of-the-pcl/

I thought CP hated Aviles.

KevB 05-15-2013 09:37 AM

I'm not sure how you can complain about the Crow pick given he's currently the 5th best pick and you were sitting at 12. He's been a productive major league player, I'll generally take that with the pick in the teens. If the focus is Crow, the discussion probably needs to be around his development. As Duncan said, he had the stuff to be a #2/3 starter, perhaps even a Chris Sale type. He and the org weren't able to develop a third reliable pitch, and so the Royals pretty quickly moved him to the pen. You could argue they should have stuck with him in the rotation longer on the farm, forcing him to work more on that 3rd pitch.

duncan_idaho 05-15-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9684142)

What works against Gio, I think, is that he isn't doing anything different with the bat at Omaha. It's the same stuff he has shown each of the past two seasons there.

He has struggled mightily at the plate when called up in both seasons. And his glovework is still not even "good."

They've never really given him protracted playing time at 2B, but he also hasn't MADE them when given a chance. I love the idea of the guy, but it's possible he's just a AAAA player.

Colon is off to a horrendous start. The way he ended his season last year gave me some hope, but he has dashed all of that.

Colon is the worst pick of Moore's tenure. What makes it worse is that this pick flies in the face of everything Moore has done in the draft in the past/his normal strategy.

duncan_idaho 05-15-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9684174)
I'm not sure how you can complain about the Crow pick given he's currently the 5th best pick and you were sitting at 12. He's been a productive major league player, I'll generally take that with the pick in the teens. If the focus is Crow, the discussion probably needs to be around his development. As Duncan said, he had the stuff to be a #2/3 starter, perhaps even a Chris Sale type. He and the org weren't able to develop a third reliable pitch, and so the Royals pretty quickly moved him to the pen. You could argue they should have stuck with him in the rotation longer on the farm, forcing him to work more on that 3rd pitch.

That inability to develop the changeup has also left him at an extreme disadvantage against lefties, at least as a starter. This showed up big-time in 2011.

His numbers against lefties in 2012 and 2013 have been pretty respectable, actually, and better than his numbers against righties. Weird.

Prison Bitch 05-15-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9684174)

He's ok. He's not really providing all that much value to the ballclub. He's in his 3rd year and he's provided a total of only +1.3 WAR. That's pretty mediocre. There's not much doubt to me that Louis Coleman could do that for much less than what we paid Crow. (That said we're not paying all that much for Crow right now anyway)

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2013 02:16 PM

Fred White passed away today from Melanoma.

KCUnited 05-15-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9684711)

:(

stonedstooge 05-15-2013 02:21 PM

Fred White saying So Long from Royals Stadium. RIP

Bowser 05-15-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

I can't find any news on it. The only articles out there are how he made his retirement official yesterday.

Dartgod 05-15-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

WTF? I just hear them talking on the game broadcast last night that he was retiring.

Man, I miss the days of him, Denny Matthews and Denny Trease.

RIP, Fred.

OmahaChief 05-15-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

This is terribly sad for me. The voices of Fred and Denny was the last things I heard nearly every summer night when I was a kid. My folks would let me listen to the Royals games on the radio in bed. It was a great honor to listen to them as a team. Good Bye Fred White, I only got to met you once but you went out of your way to talk to me and it will never be forgotten.

Predarat 05-15-2013 02:25 PM

Very sad news, RIP Fred.

WhawhaWhat 05-15-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9684730)
I can't find any news on it. The only articles out there are how he made his retirement official yesterday.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/05/15...ster-fred.html