ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane carrying 239 people (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282032)

Donger 03-18-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10500390)
Where is NORAD in this? Don't they monitor every object in the sky? Can they not come forward with their info because all their monitoring is classified?

No, they don't. Just North America.

confused 03-18-2014 02:37 PM

Sounds to me they were just Seoul searching.

chefsos 03-18-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Too weird to have 250 people with no cell phone videos
Plenty of videos I'm sure. Still in the phones, which are

a) confiscated
b) wet

Rain Man 03-18-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 10500366)
I take it you have not traveled to a lot of 2nd or 3rd world countries?

Oddly, I think many third world countries have high cell phone ownership, because cell phone infastructures are cheaper than land line infrastructures.

When I was in Madagascar, I was curious about the large number of "cell phone charging kiosks" that I'd see on the street. You'd go there, pay the guy some ariary, and plug your phone in. At some point I figured out that a lot of people have cell phones and don't have electricity in their home. The modern world is strange sometimes.

At some point I also decided that traffic cops must be cheaper and more reliable in Madagascar than stop lights. Maybe if you've got a small and unreliable electric grid, and lots and lots of unemployed poor people, you're better off giving them a job of directing traffic on every street corner. Antananarivo was a big city and I never saw a stop light.

Rain Man 03-18-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10500396)
No, they don't. Just North America.

Maybe we should be asking about WORAD.

But I would presume that someone is watching other countries to see if candles are lighting up. If Russia launches a bunch of nukes at us, I think we'd know about them before they entered North American airspace. Isn't that what NORAD does?

Donger 03-18-2014 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10500417)
Maybe we should be asking about WORAD.

But I would presume that someone is watching other countries to see if candles are lighting up. If Russia launches a bunch of nukes at us, I think we'd know about them before they entered North American airspace. Isn't that what NORAD does?

Our DSP satellites watch for missile launches. That data is then provided to Cheyenne Mountain.

Stewie 03-18-2014 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10500395)
If those people are underwater or in outer space, we need to reach them fast.

BOOM! GENIOUS!

loochy 03-18-2014 02:54 PM

Quote:

Where is NORAD in this? Don't they monitor every object in the sky? Can they not come forward with their info because all their monitoring is classified?

NORAD

:hmmm:

NORAD = North American Aerospace Defense Command

Do they have magic radar that shoots though to the opposite side of the earth?

alnorth 03-18-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

If that plane comes down out of the Arctic or through Canada, they'll be all over it.

penguinz 03-18-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10500443)
NORAD

:hmmm:

NORAD = North American Aerospace Defense Command

Do they have magic radar that shoots though to the opposite side of the earth?

I know what it stands for. I also doubt they limit their monitoring to just North America. This is the US.

alnorth 03-18-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 10500497)
I know what it stands for. I also doubt they limit their monitoring to just North America. This is the US.

We don't have the entire world blanketed in US-controlled radar.

scho63 03-18-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 10500336)
Too weird to have 250 people with no cell phone videos

I can't believe that not one person turned on their phone to send an alert, text or do some other cell communication. 99% of everyone on that fight had a cell phone and it would be a GPS sim card style not stuck on one system like the stupid US phones.

GloryDayz 03-18-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 10500182)
And it looks like that giant upside-down T-Rex is about to bite it out of mid-air.

Yup. And if we propose it they'll all think we're loony! But they don't realize that when planes fly that low, over that part of the ocean, that shit happens all the time... Low flying planes are like Sushi for a T-Rex!

GloryDayz 03-18-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alnorth (Post 10500202)

Those look like brats with a ketchup stripe on them. So I'm thinking they got eaten!

Rain Man 03-18-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 10500555)
I can't believe that not one person turned on their phone to send an alert, text or do some other cell communication. 99% of everyone on that fight had a cell phone and it would be a GPS sim card style not stuck on one system like the stupid US phones.

I don't know about cell phone systems, but I suspect that everyone was asleep and had no idea that the plane was off course. It's dark down there and nothing is labeled.