ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2014 Royals Repository (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=279729)

DeezNutz 07-26-2014 01:17 PM

I agree with the concept that anything "can" happen, but I also think it's imperative that a GM attempt to be as honest as possible in trying to assess what's most likely to happen.

With the Royals, it's such a flawed offensive team that I have a hard time envisioning them making the playoffs.

However, I think you can potentially buy and sell to keep in the race this year and improve for next. Example: Ian Kennedy. What's his price? Not FA eligible until 2016.

Plus the above example for a Taveras (which, admittedly, might be complete fantasy...).

Totally throwing shit against the wall, but I think the Royals cannot responsibly do nothing.

TambaBerry 07-26-2014 01:21 PM

Either way if we want a chance this season we have to add some power and I'd like a starting pitcher.

Sure-Oz 07-26-2014 01:23 PM

Sal can't hold out anyway

BWillie 07-26-2014 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 10768481)
Release Butler and pay sal easy fix

Release Butler, use excess money to buy a Right Fielder. Don't pay Sal anymore. Sal is a player you absolutely do not want to pay. Because when his current contract runs out, he's likely going to be Joe Mauered, and will need to play DH or 1B. He's just too big, too tall, to be able to catch for the length of his career in just about any scenario you can envision. Then you can let him walk instead of overpaying. We aren't the Yankees or the Red Sox, that is what we have to do.

DeepSouth 07-26-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10768486)
I agree with the concept that anything "can" happen, but I also think it's imperative that a GM attempt to be as honest as possible in trying to assess what's most likely to happen.

With the Royals, it's such a flawed offensive team that I have a hard time envisioning them making the playoffs.

However, I think you can potentially buy and sell to keep in the race this year and improve for next. Example: Ian Kennedy. What's his price? Not FA eligible until 2016.

Plus the above example for a Taveras (which, admittedly, might be complete fantasy...).

Totally throwing shit against the wall, but I think the Royals cannot responsibly do nothing.

I hear ya on the "flawed offensive" part. I get so irritated with the number of base runners they leave stranded. But then last night, Butler gets the clutch HR and Ibanez (who's batting .167) hits that triple that scores Gordon. It's a freaking roller coaster.

DeepSouth 07-26-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingleberry (Post 10768495)
Either way if we want a chance this season we have to add some power and I'd like a starting pitcher.

Who would you bench to add a starting pitcher? In my opinion, starting pitching is the least of the Royals problems.

Prison Bitch 07-26-2014 01:31 PM

On MLB network just now, Eduardo Perez listed the Royals as his top buyer. Braden said Orioles. Amazingly we're only 2 out with 60 to go.

DeepSouth 07-26-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10768508)
On MLB network just now, Eduardo Perez listed the Royals as his top buyer. Braden said Orioles. Amazingly we're only 2 out with 60 to go.

Damn PB, Are you feeling OK today? That almost sounded optimistic. :-)

duncan_idaho 07-26-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 10768423)
Love to have Joc Pederson, but the Dodgers aren't a great fit for the trade.

Would love to see if Taveras could be stolen out of STL for Shields + Holland + a prospect.

Highly, highly unlikely. They are hesitant to include him for Price, who is better and controlled one year longer.

If you look at the wildcard standings, the Yankees currently lead the pack for the second wildcard and are on pace for 86 wins. To get to that mark, the Royals would need to go 34-26 in their final 60 games. That's a much more sutainable pace (.568) than what we were looking at the other day when I was talking about what it would take to get to 90 wins.

According to Baseball Prospectus, the Royals' odds have climbed 10 percent in just four days. Win a couple more in a row, and that's going to continue to trend that way.

penbrook 07-26-2014 01:38 PM

Apparently the Royals have followed Johnny Gomes all week. They want him

TambaBerry 07-26-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 10768505)
Who would you bench to add a starting pitcher? In my opinion, starting pitching is the least of the Royals problems.

Need depth, Ventura and Duffy are unknowns late into the season.

ChiefsCountry 07-26-2014 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbook (Post 10768520)
Apparently the Royals have followed Johnny Gomes all week. They want him

Brand new information right here. :doh!:

C3HIEF3S 07-26-2014 01:46 PM

Dingleberry is spot on, adding depth to our starting pitching absolutely cannot hurt.

teedubya 07-26-2014 01:48 PM

Detroit has played 2 games less than us... and we are 6 games back from them currently. I put a voodoo hex on them to lose those two games whenever they are played. So, we good.

DeepSouth 07-26-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 10768525)
Detroit has played 2 games less than us... and we are 6 games back from them currently. I put a voodoo hex on them to lose those two games whenever they are played. So, we good.

You da man. Although, I might have a little more faith in your "voodoo hex" if you were from New Orleans.